By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for littlerick

Here is a list of all the postings littlerick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Workshop size
12/10/2013 17:19:44

Well we have a local guy who sells 30 foot long 5" wide by 1" thick wood for about £5 a piece, figured if i can buy a good amount i could get a discount and get a good solid shed for the price of a cheap crappy one.

Rick 15x5 with a 5x5 upstairs... Bet you were well spoilt as a kid eh lol!

At the moment I have my lathe squashed into a 1.5 meter square with a bench grinder and what little tool collection i have in a number of plastic tubs. I have to move all my tools and squeeze between the lathe and a shelf to change speeds... Kinda set it on a middle of the road speed atm. Its ok for now but cant avoid the swarf shower.

Rick

12/10/2013 15:04:36

I'm planning to build a decent size workshop area... As far as space goes, I have plenty... I have an area around 4 - 5 meters square that is idealy located so i can just ride my bike in!

I'm planning on making the whole area a solid concrete base and adding a few security fixings to the floor during the laying process, just so they are all solid. These will be to lock down the bike and anything else that may need securing.

Without going OTT, what would be a good size for a workshop.. i know you've NEVER got a big enough shed, but having a decent idea on a practical size wouldnt hurt.

Got a lathe/mill combo and planning on a couple more bits, compressor ect, but nothing major.

Rick

Thread: The tool ya gotta have!
11/10/2013 21:38:43

Im new to the engineering hobby and to be honest have no idea what i'm doing, but i'm having a great time doing it. I havn't got a huge arsenal of tools or equipment... I have my lathe/mill combo, a few turning tools and some measuring items... all given by a friend. A fixed and live centre and a tailsock chuck. Being unemployed its gonna take a while for me to get a lot of anything.

However one tool that i dont have, and i need it almost every 20 seconds is the simple center drill. Only a couple of £ but no matter what i do it always pops up! I'm gonna get at least one!

What is your most used and most useful tool?

Thread: Stock metal
10/10/2013 16:03:55

Just to update on post.. this is the email with list of bits and price... any comments welcome!

All Steel Bar

070M20 Bright Drawn

1.1/4" diameter x 3 @ 9" + 1 @ 6" long
65mm diameter x 4.5"
60mm dia x 2" long
60mm dia x 3.1/2" long
2.1/2" dia x 60mm long 1 off

Free Cutting

12mm dia x 250mm long 4 off

14mm diameter x 705mm long 2 off

080A15

7/8" square x 250mm long

30 kgs metal

£50.00 delivered

10/10/2013 00:06:29

Yes, but yours are much better looking than mine, i need more practice.

Thread: Complete Beginner Requiring Lathe Info
09/10/2013 22:36:33

Hi Corey.... just go for it mate... I just went out and got a Clarke CL500M.... Some people say there ok and some say they are crap, but you will get that no matter what you buy!

Just get one coz it looks cool or in the right colour to match your curtains.... Chuck some metal in and make a smaller bit of metal.... Have a look around the net, there are loads of things to give you ideas. Eventualy you will find something that you want to make...

Its at this point you realise you will need tools... lots of tools... Some can be made, but only after you got some!

Anyway, get a project idea and try to make it... collect the tools you need as you go, sooner or later you got all you need to do all you want..... or at least i hope so, coz thats what i'm trying to do!

Good luck with the hobby

Rick

Thread: Stock metal
09/10/2013 09:23:10

Just had a call from a guy at brindleymetals.co.uk, i contacted them last night to ask if they do small bits for making pins out of 2" bar..... Anyway after a quick chat on the phone the gentleman is going to sort out a 20kg box of metal stock for a total of £35 including postage.

From what i have seen of prices on the net, this seems like a good deal. He is going to email me a list of whats going in the box, so i will show a copy when it comes.

Worth a look and maybe contact if your looking for cheap stock!

Thread: Motorbike I built.............
06/10/2013 23:22:57

Wow..... You wanna come and play with my Ninja! Love it or hate it, that is one incredible acheivment of a machine... I love it.

I have trouble with a brake service!

Thread: looking for a tool
03/10/2013 18:54:18

Thanks for info guys and I think a grinder is the next purchase.. Seems making tools is probably best way to learn... and now i've seen a couple of prices of the above... Rather expensive things to break!

03/10/2013 16:58:01

The bit that is broken is like the top pic, as in its a 4mm steel tool slotted into a hole and fixed with a grub screw. I did find a site that had the bit for sale at £12, however mid way through making an order my electric went out and i have been unable to find the bloody web-site that was selling it... Before anybody suggests internet history, i turn it all off and dont keep record.

03/10/2013 16:52:50

Cmon guys, no hissy fits please... Its my fault for the not to good description of what i need... and as Jason has kindly demonstrated, im not too good at adding stuff to posts either lol.

The tool I have is closer to the one in the top picture only a little more home made. Anything like the above will do the job, cost also a BIG factor, what with the wife n that... Looking so far my best bet is a bench grinder and some tool steel and try to make my own. Thats another post eh!

03/10/2013 16:35:41

http://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/Family.aspx?fnum=2809&mapp=TG&app=54&GFSTYP=M

http://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-gb/products/coroturn_xs/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.thinbit.com/products/face_grooving/index.html

Something along these lines.... I got my bit of work in chuck still... dont want to move it or i lose centre!

03/10/2013 16:11:27

Well I've been searching for days.. Took my broken tool to all the places in Lincoln I could find and nobody could even identify it... So been online looking for somthing that will do the job. lots of companies seem to have great tools Sandvik, iscar and thinbit all have great tools and a lot look like what i need... When it comes to trying to buy one, it becomes a little more difficult. No mention of suppliers or where to purchase anywhere.

It seems a little crazy to develop a web-site with all the information on how great something is and to leave out the infomation that is needed to purchase the item.

If anyone can point me to a good tool supplier that has these available please send me a link.

Rick

01/10/2013 11:28:55

A friend gave me a tool for grooving the face of a bit of round steel... It works great... I have however gone a little heavy by turning handle wrong way, and its snapped.

The tool is a round tapered steel part with a tiny grub screw to hold blade... the blade itself is small.. about 2mm wide and 2-3mm deep and extended around 6mm from the holder.

Its not a proper lathe tool, but i got in in and it did the job well, until the dipstick kicked in!

I'll try n get a picture of it sorted, but if anyone has any idea what i mean and know where to get one please let me know.

Thread: making square groove on end of round bar
24/09/2013 07:33:39

No rotary table yet... in fact tools are limited which is 80% of problem.

23/09/2013 19:30:32

yes thats exactly what i need... im going to get some tool steel and have a go at making a tool for the job.. main problem is getting it strong enough while at the same time shallow enough not to jam on sides..

23/09/2013 12:19:03

sweet thanks... i'll try a few ideas n see what works out.

23/09/2013 10:59:36

I need to make a square cut groove that is around 8-10mm deep on the flat edge of a round bar. Like a "O" but i need 3 of them getting smaller.

I thought a parting tool would be best, but now I have snapped to of them, i'm thinking maybe not!

Work piece is an old large steel bolt head approx 41mm now its rounded off,

Any tool that is deep enough to cut, while being small enough not to jam and snap as the cut gets deeper.

Rick

Thread: RS Components free 3D CAD package
21/09/2013 09:34:21

Software nowadays is as complex as the engineering side of things. I find the best software for anything usually takes a little time to learn.

Whatever software you use, give it some time and learn with basics as you would a new machine. For a budget option try some of the "shareware" titles... Shareware tends to be better written and tends to work off small fee's or donations.

Some have limitations that may not even affect what you want to do and can be used freely.

Watch out when looking for "free software" as a lot of sites are just trying to put dodgy software on your puter..... Go through general shareware sites as they tend to have normal reviews of software by people who use them.

Rick

Thread: Backlash on side slide
14/09/2013 14:43:18

Phew... managed to find a locking screw for bearing... needed a lunar telescope to find it. I nearly cried.. thought i'd broke it. Still got the play in it though and cant find a way to adjust it... maybe its where the cheaper stuff gets it wrong... I will have to live with it for now i guess. Got a dial meter so can use it if i need the acuracy.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
cowells
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest