By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Fatgadgi

Here is a list of all the postings Fatgadgi has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Suspension Bush material
15/03/2022 12:09:05

Hi Colin - sounds fun!!

If it was me, I’d use nylon. Either 6 or 66, not much in it, but 6 if there’s a choice because it’s slightly tougher.

Acetal is a little more brittle and not quite so good wear resistance.

Nylon 6 can absorb moisture (presumably it’s outdoor) which doesn’t cause any issues that should concern you, except they can swell slightly. But we’re talking small dimensional changes, so just don’t make it too tight to start. Nylon 66 absorbs less if high accuracy is an issue.

Cheers Will

Thread: Meek Type Dog-Clutch for Denford
14/01/2022 21:40:06

Hi All

Final update ……

I retired at Christmas, so my job is now playing in the workshop !!

So I’ve blitzed the dog clutch that I started 19 months ago, and finally finished the complete system, with the saddle auto actuation being the last bit. But that’s it, done, and it works a treat !!

ea0b21c8-d267-4852-b49d-ebc73a5f1399.jpeg

ecbf8e25-076e-4ca0-9a55-93aee72c75ac.jpeg

The lever system is a bit convoluted, but the saddle feed disengages the threading quite accurately, with a nice satisfying snapping action and a repeatability of few thou at low feed rate, which is great.
Screw threading at 500 rpm is less repeatable, but still reliably around 0.2mm, which is usable, but not sure I fully trust it yet at that speed.

Worked out a way that didn’t need any welding of the door, just an aperture cut out.

Only compromise is that the saddle has lost 50mm of travel at the Chuck end. I can’t say I ever remember needing to move the saddle that close to the headstock, but if required, I’d have to take off the lever. Not the end of the world.

So, next project is a CNC’d polarising flash filter holder for my son’s camera. Better finish the drawings - no time to waste 🙂

Cheers Will

Thread: Cleaning glass.
16/10/2021 13:48:44

I bought some professional window cleaner stuff from Eurocell called Silversill Glass Cleaner when I fitted some new PVC windows last year. Less than £3 for a litre spray bottle. Just checked, still there.

Worked a treat, so wife stole it and has used it ever since. Still plenty left.

Used it on my fogged windscreen couple weeks ago, and worked really well. Spray on, wipe off and buff.

No links to the product or seller, just surprised at the price versus performance, although be careful, I have seen it on other sites for much more.

Cheers Will

Thread: Can I use a NiCD Battery charger on a NiMH battery?
26/06/2021 22:47:46

Yes Neil, you’re right.
Sorry for the false concern, I don’t have direct experience with NiMH 🤪

Cheers Will

26/06/2021 14:20:32

Hi John

Personally I wouldn’t take the chance. NiMH batteries need more sophisticated chargers to avoid overheating and possible fire.

Charging batteries, especially NiMH, is one of the biggest safety related issues that power tool (etc) manufacturers worry about, so I treat them with a bit of respect.

Cheers Will

Thread: All the gear, no idea
07/04/2021 09:13:06

Hi Matthew

Sorry for your loss. Most of us on this forum will have thought about what happens when our loved ones need to dispose of a life time’s collection. Often the small tooling can be worth at least as much as many of the machine tools.

I agree with Kiwi Bloke - the Bay effectively sets the price; if you sell that way, the auction sell price is usually it’s worth.

If you have the inclination, identifying what the tools are and selling the individual tools and machines that way would be my personal recommendation to get a good price. Perhaps ask on this forum for identification of difficult bits.

Cheers Will

Thread: 2-Part Covid Vaccinations
14/02/2021 20:30:09

....... or a 1 in 3 chance of having the same chance of contracting the virus as you did prior to the vaccine 🤪

14/02/2021 20:02:57

Hi Peter - the press has been reporting 67% today based a study of the vaccinations so far by some professor from Kings College in London.

cheers Will

Thread: Digital Height Gauge Recommendations?
16/01/2021 15:36:33

I bought a low cost height gauge a few years back, which was perfectly adequate at the time. But it stopped working after a couple of years (after eating it's way through my battery supplies).

Then I was lucky and got given a scrap Mitutoyo because the battery cover was broken. This has probably lasted me 10 years now and is perfect for me. The numbers are big and easy to read and I wouldn't want to be without the ability to zero anywhere, which I use frequently and has to be one of the major benefits of digital. Easily flipping from Metric to Imperial may be useful for some, but not me.

Of course, the insulating tape still holds the battery cover on.

Cheers Will

Thread: A Better Vice (vise?)
28/12/2020 08:57:25

Rob ..... well, I for one would be interested !!!

06/12/2020 21:08:22

Hi All - It's been a couple of months, so I thought I'd update progress .....

Well, I'm happy with it so far. All the gear and clutch stuff is working well in manual mode, and I've given it some welly without anything dropping off or seizing. Noise is OK, not silent, but no noisier than it was before I attacked it, and it can be disengaged when not needed. The only thing I need to re-do is to swap the detent spring for the lever position - it needs to be stronger to give a more positive location.

4b0dbb94-40f8-41f2-927d-5355f248cfde.jpeg

I still need to make the auto-release mechanism that connects the clutch mechanism with the saddle position, but the lever arm that it will attach to is in place (under the cover, so not visible).

74e7af89-1b43-4ab9-8408-b1d4cb83b4ec.jpeg

I have cut the aperture in the gear door, but it needs tidying up. Also the door lock position needs to be moved up, which will need some welding and painting to do it justice. When I'm ready.

Even in manual mode, screw cutting metric, which is 99% of the threading I do, has been transformed. No more stopping and reversing the motor between passes !!

Cheers Will

Thread: Fusion 360 for cnc machining.
03/12/2020 22:52:33

Hi Brian - not commercially but lots of us will be using it for milling and turning, including me.

There are many industrial users - but what’s behind the question ?

Thread: Workshop temperature - cold
02/12/2020 00:05:47

One of my little luxuries in life is keeping my workshop at a constant 18 degrees 24/7 in winter.

As Roger said, it’s better insulated than my house as well, and a 600w oil filled radiator keeps it warm.

Toasty 🙂🙂🙂

Thread: SDS. What is it?
07/11/2020 13:26:15

SDS drills have key ways in them so that they can slide in and out whilst being rotated. I think the name was penned by Bosch originally.

The reason why this arrangement is used is that the drill hammer action is different and much more effective than a normal ratchet type of hammer drill using a standard Chuck. The hammer action is almost universally pneumatic, meaning a lump of steel is thrown against the back of the drill (almost) by compressed air using a piston and cylinder. The frequency of strike is low, but the energy is huge.

Ratchet hammer action, by contrast, is accomplished by having the whole spindle, drill bit and chuck move backwards and forwards 40 (ish) times every revolution by a small amount. These are normally good enough, and cheap and simple. But performance and cost is much less than a pneumatic hammer drill.

Phew .... my brain hurts, back to my DIY

cheers Will

Thread: Workshop/Garage Insulation/Space Heating
06/11/2020 12:37:54

I use a small oil-filled electric radiator in my double garage workshop, 600w I think. And it's toasty.

But I've insulated it well. Walls, ceiling and up & over car doors, which are sealed and secondary insulated doors added. They only ever open, which takes half an hour, when I need some nice shiny new (to me) machine wheeled in.

The floors are just painted concrete.

This year I have not needed to put the heat on yet as it's still at 60f - the sun warms it through south facing double glazed windows, but when required, which will be shortly, I keep the heating on 24/7 during the cold months.

No rust at all, but I don't bring wet bikes into it, let alone a car.

Cheers - Will

Thread: Covid-19 fantasies crushed ?
09/09/2020 11:19:18

............. or C) Try to save both, by letting the fit, younger generations go back to normal, whilst making the older and more vulnerable shield (with a choice for the fit older generations).
Surely, that's where we will end up, like it or not devil

Cheers - Will

22/07/2020 21:43:23

Me Again.

Time has been disappointingly sparse in the workshop recently due to some domestic diy chores, but I have made some progress.

The clutch and clutch gears have been completed along with the associated rotating sleeve components. So the gear assembly is all but finished for this stage - still a couple of holes to machine in situ once I know the position of other parts, and a locking pin to make.

img_2181.jpg

As shown below, I've temporarily tried it in position on the lathe with a change wheel fitted. It fits a treat and the gears all turn as hoped. Result !!!. The gear on the main spindle is still the original one, but because it's a tight fit on the shaft, I will not remove it again until I'm ready to make the change.

img_2187.jpg

Next challenge is to make the clutch actuator arm and the mechanism that moves it.

Cheers Will

Thread: A plate vice mod
28/06/2020 14:23:57

Hi John - no, the head of the screw doesn’t actually clamp in the downwards direction, just uses friction.

28/06/2020 11:27:56

Hi Bazyle - for the eccentric screw I used M10 cap heads turned down to 13.5mm with a 1mm eccentricity (at Centre line). They are parallel.

cheers Will

28/06/2020 09:51:39

Nice ideas John(s)

I made these clamps recently that also work on the eccentric principle. Feels strange that they work so well, but they certainly do - the clamping force is huge and the friction in the eccentric stops them lifting when tightened.

img_2151.jpg

Cheers Will

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate