By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Harry Wilkes

Here is a list of all the postings Harry Wilkes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello and bonjour from france
06/04/2020 18:56:41

welcome to forum

H

Thread: I once built a go cart
06/04/2020 16:57:08

Along with others of my age I built a soapbox cart and we would go down to the bottom of our street which it;s self was an hill, at the bottom was a long twisting downhill hill alley we called it 'snake alley' it was not for the faint hearted and I must admit i came to grief a few time.

H

Thread: Easter holiday in Tintagel? Bring your own.
05/04/2020 19:03:58

Yes and some poeple in places like Cornwall and Wales that when this is all over they'll want the tourist back !

H

Thread: Corona virus and current magazine publication
02/04/2020 15:13:29

Good question particularly after receiving a email offering 6 issues for a £1 and model boats being one of them !

H

Thread: Virtualbox advice
01/04/2020 17:33:33

Thanks for all answers I have tried the suggestion forwarded however SOD put his finger on it 'it all just works'

Thanks

H

01/04/2020 15:28:50

Just by chance maybe members using Virtualbox could offer some advice, having to much time on my hands I thought I'd have a play with linux which I firstly ran on a memory stick so next I did some research and found that the use of a VM was preferred over dual boot. I downloaded Virtualbox and add linux mint as a guest it worked OK except for network connection no WiFi connection again check the web in setting I selected 'bridge connection' and my TP link USB adaptor but still no WiFi connected wired the only choice so does anyone have any suggestion ?

Thanks

H

Thread: Good reading from DYSON.
30/03/2020 18:56:47
Posted by Jim Young 2 on 30/03/2020 18:40:22:

I had a rather negative experience of Dyson recently (sorry taking things rather off topic). Having been involved in school D.T. for several years, I wrote to Dyson development suggesting that they might like to consider sponsoring a ‘Dyson Challenge’ in the 12 to 16 age group. Idea being that they supply one of their ‘digital’ motors and a battery pack. Issue a design brief for a model racing car so that every school taking part started on a level field. Then run ‘meets’ at which school compete for, say, speed or battery duration. Down to the pupils to design and build for the challenge. Gives the company lots of ‘product placement’ with the future purchasers, good press for encouraging future designers and engineers......etc etc.

I received a one paragraph reply (from some lowly employee) , along the lines that, Sir James was quite capable of having his own ideas and please go away!

Next cleaner here will NOT be a Dyson!

Send it to the national press !

30/03/2020 15:04:05
Posted by Journeyman on 30/03/2020 14:06:35:

Hope it's not like my vacuum cleaner then! All coloured plastic, doesn't suck very well and bits keep dropping off devil

John

Had two Dyson's for several years no problems at all and as for not suching clean filter and give the 'porta' a good blowing out 😁

H

Thread: Thread heading looking weird
26/03/2020 18:33:10

Have same problem but I do not have add blocker

H

Thread: Has something happened between SKY and Yahoo mail?
25/03/2020 17:50:27

You should still be able to login to sky web mail or via yahoo web mail with your sky ID and password, however a large number of 3rd party email clients new updating to work with Yahoo. I pearsonaly have kicked sky email into touch they have let their users down big time.

H

Thread: Coronavirus
25/03/2020 15:55:14
Posted by J Hancock on 25/03/2020 11:58:33:

No valid DoT and the car is on the road ?

What do the insurance people have to say about that ?

Take it DoT is MOT

The goverment have said they are extending MOT certs by 6 months from the 30th March therefore MOT's will be valid no issues with insurance but have reminded people that that should not be driving a dangerous vehicle

H

Thread: Fixing motor for Myford Ml7
24/03/2020 15:37:04

It puzzles me that the original plug says 5A on it, can anyone offer an explanation?

In the olden days they were two sizes of plug the one shown in your pic rated at 5A then there was a larger version of that type of round plug rated at 15A, then with the coming of the ring main 13A became the standard .

Have not read all post's but have you tried disconnecting the motor to see if the fuse blows ?

H

Thread: Coronavirus
24/03/2020 15:20:16
Posted by pgk pgk on 24/03/2020 14:16:12:
Posted by Rockingdodge on 24/03/2020 13:07:51:

Well that puts a cap on it, car failed the MOT and the garage is closing down for the foreseeable future so no home deliveries, can't do click & collect and too far to walk to the shops for a sizeable shop, no taxis and no buses! sad

Life is so good. crying

Sorry to hear. I'm 2.5hrs away or I'd offer.

pgk

Keep eye on sitution I read MOT for HGV's are being suspended car's under consideration

H

22/03/2020 21:27:19
Posted by Ian Skeldon 2 on 22/03/2020 20:35:22:

My chance of survival might get seriously tested soon, I work full time in our local hospital and also part time as a policeman, whatever the out come I hope the morons out there grasp how serious the situation is before it's too late

Best of luck to you and your colleagues

H

Thread: New member in north east
22/03/2020 17:35:24

Welcome smiley

H

Thread: Crikey!! So that's why we need Engineers
22/03/2020 17:34:29

Welcome 😁

H

Thread: What are you reading?
20/03/2020 18:28:13
Posted by Bill Chugg on 20/03/2020 12:21:20:
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 20/03/2020 09:37:33:
Posted by Bill Chugg on 19/03/2020 19:32:26:

Dyslexia makes it a tremendous problem for me,so the honest answer is nowt.

Youtube is my saviour, especially the videos by Keith Appleton.

Bill

Same here apart from watching that pompous Mr Appleton

H

Another sufferer. It is surprising how common this complaint is.

Agree, he is a bit like that at times, but then, none of us is perfect, and he does know more than me.

Bill

Edited By Bill Chugg on 20/03/2020 12:25:05

Yes another sufferer and I was also left hand so in my early years at school they tried to 'knock' both of them out of me !!!!

20/03/2020 09:37:33
Posted by Bill Chugg on 19/03/2020 19:32:26:

Dyslexia makes it a tremendous problem for me,so the honest answer is nowt.

Youtube is my saviour, especially the videos by Keith Appleton.

Bill

Same here apart from watching that pompous Mr Appleton

H

Thread: ventilator production coronavirus
18/03/2020 14:07:41

Contact the Prime Ministers Office maybe at No 10

Thread: How are your clubs responding to Coronavirus
17/03/2020 15:31:56

BCLS to advise members that monthly club meeting are to be suspended until further notice, this includes the clubs AGM

H

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest