By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Harry Wilkes

Here is a list of all the postings Harry Wilkes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Social Distancing
02/08/2020 15:14:18
Posted by Dave Halford on 02/08/2020 11:34:40:

The crowd issue is a simple one.

When covid was just a dose of flu the 20 to 30 something age group were told they would hardly be affected. A year earlier they were told they had to work till 70 to support the current crop of retired old scroungers.

Put the two together and they see it as a win win. The English Covid resurgence has been recognised as being driven by this age group.

Grow up !!!!!!!

Thread: Hello Everyone
31/07/2020 18:45:11

Welcome James nice to have a new brain to pick smiley

H

Thread: Plastic and Paper Models
30/07/2020 21:03:46

Nice work

H

Thread: Another new member here
28/07/2020 22:54:19

Welcome John

H

Thread: Hello from Worcestershire
28/07/2020 18:50:50

Welcome to forum from just next door in the West Mids you won't go to far wrong with Mr Pete

H

Thread: 33mm Spanner
26/07/2020 19:01:41

I used auto correct in MS Word whilst I was working, it was great to use a couple of letters and having it changed into those words one used regularly writing reports and such.

H

Thread: Magnetised digital calipers
25/07/2020 18:28:14

I saw a quick tip somewhere for making a de mag tool using piece of wood,plastic or anything to hand about 40 dia with a shaft through it into which embed 4 Neodymium Magnets two with north facing out two with south facing out and alternating. Pop it in the drill press and turn on offer whatever you want to de mag just under the rotating magnets then slowly move away, so when I do my caliper I just offer the jaws under then as I previously said just slowly move away.

H

Thread: Hi there
25/07/2020 18:17:22

Welcome to the forum Pete

H

Thread: Chesterton Windmill
24/07/2020 08:04:00

Great link thanks

H

Thread: 4BA or 5BA
23/07/2020 21:07:38

No stainless is not recommended for boiler studs and as far as using PB I would suggest steel is more commonly used

H

23/07/2020 18:09:33
Posted by Brian H on 23/07/2020 16:58:10:

I'd be surprised if this company cannot help;

**LINK**

Brian

Good suggestion Brian but I think you'll find EKP have reduced the range of studs they used to offer

H

23/07/2020 16:21:38

Hi Garry dont know if your talking about threaded rod or studs ? Studs are better here's a link

to 5BA by 1" steel studs if they are of use to you

H

Thread: Stolen Boilers
22/07/2020 22:00:17

Sorry to hear Paul as had stuff stolen Paul made my last boiler nice bloke hope he gets them back

H

Thread: Hi All.
22/07/2020 18:49:02

Welcome to the forum from the West Mids Phil I'm in into slow things like 4MPH traction engines

H

Thread: How to stop scam phone calls for good?
21/07/2020 18:24:26
Posted by Dennis D on 21/07/2020 14:48:31:

In the past I have used TPS **LINK** This blocked a lot of cold calls based in the UK but the foreign based ones sometimes slipped through. Your phone provider may have something to sign up with. I am with Sky and they have a screening service called Talk Shield which allows you to block numbers you don't want.

TPS is a complete waste of time same goes for the mail preference service

Thread: Statfold railway
20/07/2020 19:01:30
Posted by Bill Dawes on 15/07/2020 19:53:41:

Hi all, my wife bought me a ticket to the Statfold railway Enthusiasts weekend, originally canceled because of you know what.Sadly we decided we did not feel ready to go to the August one because of you know what.

My wife phoned them to discuss possibility of rescheduling for next June, very helpful lady said no problem and within 1/2 hour new tickets were emailed.

My wife is full of praise for the helpful and friendly welcome she has had on the several times she phoned them.

Never been there before, has anyone else?

Bill D.

Bill great place as Paul pointed out if you want a preview check the link out link

Thread: Need assistance on wiring for my lathe motor
19/07/2020 14:53:58

Thanks for letting us know and glad you got it sorted

H

Thread: Jig for hand tapping
17/07/2020 21:41:15

Nice buy Nick nice job to.

H

Thread: Interesting bike ride today
16/07/2020 21:39:05

your son is his name Robin by any chance ? wink

H

Thread: Trembling laptop
16/07/2020 15:13:19
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 16/07/2020 11:47:50:

I’m going to say something which will, I know, raise the ire of certain of our contributors, but first I wish to relate a personal anecdote. It does have a bearing on things, but initially it may not seem so.

50 or more years ago I casually mentioned at work that I was doing something either at home or at the church I attended in those days, and promptly got verbally jumped on by one of my colleagues. He claimed that I was taking work from someone else, and how would I like it if someone off the street came in and started doing my job? A silly argument because for anyone else to do my job presupposes that the “comer-in” knew what he/she was doing, that he/she had spent some considerable time being trained.

Interestingly, work in the home for that particular job, although reserved at that time to the company, may now be done by anyone, but that is unimportant at the present time.

Fairly obviously, my colleague was a union man through & through, and we all know about the stranglehold the unions had over industry back then, ie, pick up the nut you’ve just dropped, and cause an all-out strike!

So, back to today. I wonder how much of the present restrictions on home electrics has been caused by electrician unions persuading polititians, who are not necessarily the best technical people in the world, that electricity is too dangerous to be left to people who do not have the requisite pieces of paper to show that they have attended some sort of course. I’m sure we all know the stories of the house holder, someone with a degree in high voltage electrical planning, but did not have the requisite piece of paper, so wasn’t allowed to rewire his own house, or the polititian who got himself shocked by a faulty washing machine, etc., whilst there is a story of a qualified electrician who could not find the fault, and had to rely on the householder to do the faultfinding. Ok, maybe exaggerated perhaps, but like a lot of things, perhaps with a grain of truth therein.

It does seem to me that more and more we are being told to leave it to the experts, when in reality, anyone with even just a smidgeon of common sense could do the job easily and more cheaply.

Regards,

Peter G. Shaw

Edited to remove a superfluous postscript.

Edited By Peter G. Shaw on 16/07/2020 11:48:35

" ire" no amusement yes what a load of hot air

H

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest