By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Harry Wilkes

Here is a list of all the postings Harry Wilkes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford ML7 4 way tool holder
17/01/2021 17:36:48

Bruce another good source of info/advice would be to join the Myford group link

I had over the past sought advice from this group

H

Thread: New Member - Looking to Upgrade from SX2P
15/01/2021 15:14:04

Welcome to forum

H

Thread: Markie Showmans Engine Model
13/01/2021 18:21:38

Markie do have a website which may be of help link

also Phil of Forest Classics maybe also be able to offer advice link

H

Thread: Drawing for a whistle
12/01/2021 15:09:05

Macc Model link have several but as to there suitability I can't say, I had one similar to to the last one on my 2" TE and it looked the part

H

Thread: New, old Myford Super 7 essentials
07/01/2021 21:27:27

Hi when I acquired my S7 it had stood for some time I was happy with the lub points passing oil OK with the exception of the wick so I applied oil with the oil gun directly into the elbow for the wick and pumped until I saw oil coming from the bearing it's been fine ever since

H

Posted by Jak2g on 17/11/2020 19:15:30:

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have an oil gun from myford, which I purchased. Also have the original manual and spareys book.

It looks to me as there is a thin layer of oil around the spindle bearing. I'll check if I can see anything flowing out when I add more oil.

I'll need to give the back gear a run. Haven't used that yet.

With regard to location, I'm just outside Leeds.

I have lubed all points in the chart. Some take the oil no problem. Others don't seem as easy to accept it. That's what got me thinking about whether some might be blocked.

Thread: Hello from Yorkshire
07/01/2021 16:07:34

Welcome to the forum

H

Thread: New Member in Yorkshire
01/01/2021 12:45:19

Happy New Year and welcome to the forum

H

Thread: Improved performance over standard V belts?
31/12/2020 21:19:21
Posted by Tricky on 31/12/2020 17:39:22:

As someone who has actually used one I found on my Myford S7 that the vibration on the original belt from motor to countershaft made it almost unusable in high speed but replacing the belt with a Powertwist belt reduced the vibration considerably.

Agreed found the same with my S7

H

Thread: In anticipation of the New Year ...
30/12/2020 21:22:18
Posted by Bazyle on 30/12/2020 20:11:42:

When linking videos websites or documents will people plase add a line explaining what the subject is. It is only good maners and only takes a few seconds. People may have seen it before, have religious or other objections to the content, all sorts of reasons for not wanting to waste their time on it.

Peak has the right idea at lesat giving a hint of the content.

Edited By Bazyle on 30/12/2020 20:13:15

Bit late for bah humbug !

Thread: A Certain Age
29/12/2020 16:14:15

Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 29/12/2020 15:19:16:

Same happen's to me in B&Q I'm 77 gray haired and walk with a stick and on more than one occasion when purchasing solvent based products I've been ask my age surprise

H

Age does seem to bring with it a certain recollection of "they words" - probably from years of looking for that just-parted-off 10BA stud on the workshop floor, or discovering the 17/64-inch Acme spanner (left-handed) is the one missing from the set when needed most.

My sister tells of her son's visits to a couple of nursing-homes in the course of his work.

In one, a cat wandered across the lounge, and the manager said, "He's a sort of pet. All the residents love him!" Whereupon one dear, sweet lady of obviously respectable vintage finger-beckoned my nephew over to confide in him, "I don't! I hate f+++++g cats!"

In the other he was suddenly aware that two ladies of similar Summer Wine and above vintage were assessing him, in his early-twenties, with comments like, "He's a bit of all right, isn't he? I know what I could do with him!"

'

I was once asked to confirm my age - in my late-50s - in a Spar shop. Puzzled, as there seemed nothing amiss in the items between us, I asked why. It seems a spray-can of deodorant was the problem. I mentioned it to one of the till-girl's colleagues next time I was in there, and this lady explained she shouldn't have asked, but had probably misunderstood the rules.

"Oh, thank-you, but you didn't need to apologise!" I replied, "I wasn't offended. Rather flattered actually!"

Thread: greetings
29/12/2020 13:36:24

Welcome to the forum

H

Thread: New to workshop engineering.
28/12/2020 15:46:08

Welcome to forum once your kitted out you can play all you want smiley

H

Thread: Hi
27/12/2020 18:37:21

Welcome to the forum

H

Thread: Hi!
23/12/2020 18:45:58

Welcome to forum

H

Thread: New Member
23/12/2020 13:55:46

Welcome to the forum

H

Thread: Which Laptop
22/12/2020 15:12:16

Hi Peter

If you have the cash upgrade to the new machine and make life easy, not 100% myself and my thinking is 'you can't take it with you'

H

Thread: New guy
21/12/2020 09:19:00

Hello and welcome to the forum

H

Thread: Over wintering Motorcycle battery .
14/12/2020 18:18:33

I have a 12v battery which I only use for around 4 months in the summer and then only 4 or 5 times so what I normally do is to fully charge the battery then connect a small load to slowly discharge the battery, to date the battery is around 10yrs old

H

Thread: Gland packing??
10/12/2020 16:38:45

I have used PTFE tape on my 3" traction engine with success and I know others who use it too

H

Thread: New Lathe at Lidl
01/12/2020 13:46:06
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 01/12/2020 10:56:02:

My first lathe was one these:

unnamed.jpg

(Image from lathes.co.uk)

Worked fine within its envelope. A bit noisy though. The Lidl one should be fine for small bowls, tool handles and candle sticks like I used to make.

Rod

Had one too and turned a dam sight more than wood on it smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest