By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Harry Wilkes

Here is a list of all the postings Harry Wilkes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello
17/10/2020 17:52:10

Welcome to forum

H

Thread: Hello from Birmingham
16/10/2020 18:09:53

Welcome to the forum from WS4 smiley

H

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
13/10/2020 21:37:58
Posted by not done it yet on 13/10/2020 19:03:06:
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 13/10/2020 18:37:12:

My smart meter stopped working so I phoned my supplier and explained the unit had failed I was then told i was not entitled to a new one, I asked why and in fewer words they said they had fulfilled their obligation to fit one !

H

So how can they bill you if the meter has actually failed?

NDIY I would have thought a smart person like yourself would know the answer to that, either I submit reading via internet or the send someone round to read meter

H

13/10/2020 18:37:12

My smart meter stopped working so I phoned my supplier and explained the unit had failed I was then told i was not entitled to a new one, I asked why and in fewer words they said they had fulfilled their obligation to fit one !

H

Thread: Grumpy old men
12/10/2020 15:24:42
Posted by Bill Dawes on 12/10/2020 13:33:01:

My youngest son (31) says can I get, as do most of similar generation, I always say can I or could I have.

My biggest irritation is the way the news media (mainly TV) have behaved over the last few months. They sit there in their cosy studios, probably in no danger of losing their jobs (self preservation?) being highly paid to pontificate on why everything is wrong, do they ever go home and think was there any point to my days work and thank god I am not in the position of having to make decisions knowing that whatever it is will not suit somebody, that somebody will be gleefully seized upon by the media and will reel out everybody that has a complaint, all the experts who disagree with other experts, all the scenarios, making intensive use of their retrospective crystal ball that all the media have.

After the first few months of Covid news, which I devoured intently, I felt myself becoming more and more depressed so suddenly decided I could not stand it any more. Confine myself now to the odd news broadcsast to keep up with the 'facts'.

I have a saying, 'I am a very sociable person,just don't like people'

Bill D.

Bill have to agree with you about the news media there are those maimly working for the BBC whom refer to people by the surnames I could recall a long story about this bad habit but I will not the forum members, getting back to using just surnames they refer to the prime minister as Johnson like him or not it should be Prime Minister or Mr Johnson .

Thread: Sky Broadband and Windows 10
08/10/2020 21:07:41

Hi Brian

Not cutting out but getting very slow I have this problem one my two lapops (win linux) and my android table crying

H

Thread: Corner Rounding
07/10/2020 18:03:25
Posted by JasonB on 07/10/2020 17:07:33:

He also has the power feed engaged which will help prevent the tool being drawn in and likes to live life on the edge changing work positions with the spindle running.

Maybe that's why he doesn't upload to youtube these day's no fingers left frown

H

Thread: Hi from Hull
05/10/2020 14:38:15

Welcome to the forum Richard

H

Thread: New Energy Supplier Companies
04/10/2020 16:22:08

Energy companies (............................................................ edited) would'nt trust any of them

H

Thread: hello from yorkshire
01/10/2020 18:37:00

Welcome to the forum

H

Thread: Camden Miniature Steam Services
29/09/2020 21:15:52

Mark if memory serves me I think 'they ' are given seven days in which to resolve the matter, in my case a refund was made but with no explanation or apology ! But give them a go but use paypal for insurance. For the record I have made a purchase since my hic cup and all was fine.

H

Thread: Hello from Bonnie Scotland
29/09/2020 18:40:53

Welcome to the forum

H

Thread: Hello - coming out of the shadows!
28/09/2020 16:51:51

Welcome to the forum Joe

H

Thread: Camden Miniature Steam Services
28/09/2020 16:50:50

I to are receiving emails but I find Camden a very difficult company to deal with sometime you get your goods within a couple of days other times they go to pot I have in the past had to raise a paypal complaint due to none delivery and failure to communicate.

H

Thread: New member from the USA
25/09/2020 16:25:42

Welcome to the forum

H

Thread: Hello to exisiting forum members
23/09/2020 13:49:02

Welcome to the forum

H

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
22/09/2020 21:40:14
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 22/09/2020 21:27:26:

Martin P,

I agree with you totally.

Where is the stiff upper lip? How would these people go on if they had been alive 200 years ago? Ever heard of cutting your coat according to your cloth? Sorry, I have no sympathy with these snowflakes.

Just to put something into perspective, earlier this year I was doing some genealogical research on a man who may have been my wife's grandfather, and I managed to trace his ancesters back to around 1800. Strange as it may seem, two families of his ancesters, both originally living south of Lancaster, migrated to Bradford in the mid 1800's. Now how did they get there? No buses, roads probably no more than cart tracks, railways possible but maybe not, canal, possible but maybe not. Just think of the stress involved in uprooting from Lancaster, leaving all their friends behind probably never to see them again, and making that trip to Bradford, looking for somewhere to stay, and then finding a job.

And there are people today moaning about their lifestyle and how hard they are done by!

Peter G. Shaw

Sorry Peter you post 'sucks'

H

'

Thread: Interference
22/09/2020 21:38:08

Some time back I had a microwave that when on blew my WiFi away, it was a brand name and talking to a friend who designed induction heating equipment he said microwave were as leaky as a cullender he told me jus to prove a point to take up up the garden which I did it was not so bad but still interfered

H

Thread: Steam Raising Blower
22/09/2020 21:30:48

Hi Peter

I used the type of blower Phillip described on my 2" TE worked well but found it prone to shooting up, I now have a larger engine and use a blower as suggested by Duncan mindful of not wanting to raise steam to quickly I use a speed control unit to slow it down. I would suggest finding a suitable motor is the hardest bit once you have the motor you can use anything you have to hand. Fellow club member as a 3 TE and he take the opposite to me whereas I use my blower to 'suck' he uses his to blow just like the steam blower and he uses a 12v camping bed inflator set at 45 deg into a short chimney extension.

H

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
22/09/2020 21:16:32

I'd like to add I had a friends she was suffering fro advanced MS back in early April she took her own life, she found lockdown extremely difficult she would not let her advanced MS stop her doing things Mondays she would go for aqua therapy, Tuesday she along with her husband travel to their caravan in Wales making good use of her all terrain wheelchair on Friday they would return home Saturday she go horse riding Sunday was a rest day visit family or family visit her and then it all came to a stop she could not cope !

H

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest