By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for richardandtracy

Here is a list of all the postings richardandtracy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Thread cutting with carbide inserts
28/07/2018 21:52:51

I have carbide inserts fror thread cutting and hand wind the spindle on my Warco WMT300/1. Feed in 0.025mm every cut. Works on steel, acrylic and aluminium. Thread like this with the work smeared in Rocol RTD cutting paste. No complaints so far from the tip or work.

Regards

Richard.

Thread: Mc Huish lathe
27/07/2018 21:19:31

The lathe isn't mine, and at the moment I am having difficulty in getting photos onto the web anyway - tablet can take photos but won't talk to the forum for pictures & USB on the laptop won't talk to anything, so I can't get photos from my camera to a PC.

I have looked on 'lathes.co.uk' but no mention of the make, so I suspect it wasn't wildly popular.

Regards

Richard

Thread: Lightning storm
27/07/2018 21:01:56

I can remember putting an ammeter in a conductor at school. It was a rumbly day, and registered 10 amps with the sky positive. Very surprising,

Regards

Richard.

Thread: Mc Huish lathe
27/07/2018 15:25:35

A neighbour has a very elderly lathe, made in London and has the name 'Mc Huish' on its nameplate. I've looked for info on them, but can't find anything about them.

Does anyone know anything about them or point me to info?

The lathe has about a 4" centre height, about 25-30" between centres, with a very early looking babbit headstock with back gears open to curious fingers. It does thread cutting. The motor is not original, at 750W and seems to run the lathe quite fast, over 1000 rpm. The overall look to the castings is 1920's, but not really sure. The legs look like they could be modified for a treadle, but the lathe never had one. There are no dials on any of the feeds. The saddle has a half nut, about a 1/4" pitch leadscrew of 1.25" diameter. The cross feed seems to have a leadscrew of about 1/10".

I'm curious, nothing more as it's a name I have never heard of.

Any info greatfully received.

Regards

Richard.

d

Edited By richardandtracy on 27/07/2018 15:27:12

Thread: Is this the right place for me?
27/07/2018 15:08:27

Allan,

I first joined years ago when I planned to build a Junk rigged steel Bruce Roberts Spray 36, and this seemed the friendliest forum with appropriate skills on the machining side. Since moving house, the yacht building option is now impossible, but the applicability of the skills has remained even with my reduced ambition hobby of pen making.

Regards

Richard.

Thread: EN24T or P20 steel - anvil material
24/07/2018 11:40:33

The Woolman & Mottram book 'Mechanical and Physical Properties of the British Standard EN Steels' goes to exhaustive lengths on En24 and how it may be heat treated, detailing it's properties over 38 pages of the book. Leads to the conclusion it's 'Good Stuff' . Worth borrowing the book from the library if you're interested enough.

Regards,

Richard.

Thread: Designing Model Boilers (Thermal Design)
24/07/2018 11:23:35

That is a remarkably comprehensive piece of work and the backup notes require considerable study. Thanks for sharing. There is a heck of a lot of work that has gone into it.

What is driving the limitation statement that it's applicable to 5" gauge only (Spreadsheet 'Summary of Results:D30' ) ? By the look of it, the statement is contradicted in the notes, section 2, 4th para. I suspect it's due to caution rather than lack of evidence or inapplicability.

Regards.

Richard

Thread: What type of glue to use...
24/07/2018 10:51:38
Posted by Martin Kyte on 24/07/2018 08:09:30:

Spray Mount from you local art shop.

Martin

That's what I'd suggest too. can be completely removed.

Self adhesive crack-back sheets work quite well too.

Regards,

Richard.

Thread: Songs for the Workshop
24/07/2018 10:45:14

Wheels of Steel - Saxon.

Velcro Fly cutting - ZZTop

Regards,

Richard.

Thread: Clarke CL430 Metal Lathe
22/07/2018 21:24:33

I am pretty sure that if you follow the suggestions I made at 22.03 yesterday you'll be able to find where the fault is, and possibly save yourself £700.

Regards

Richard.

Thread: 2 start thread
22/07/2018 15:24:08

On my pen making have up to 5 starts, and that's just the way to specify it.

Regards

Richard.

22/07/2018 09:08:45

The swarf guard under the saddle only protects the leadscrew from stuff dropping on the leadscrew. The only other thing going around the leadscrew in the vicinity of the saddle is the leadscrew nut, and if it were knackered, then manual drive wouldn't work either.

Just wondering.. Is it possible to post a video with the motor running, auto feed engaged and showing all the bits that rotate rotating so we might see for ourselves where the drive stops working? If nothing else, it'd give other owners warning of what might happen & possibly compare with our machines to see what may have gone wrong.

Regards

Richard.

Thread: Electric Motor Conversion European - USA
22/07/2018 08:56:54

I think you'll find the 220V outlet is a delta connected 3 phase outlet with 110V between phases - in the same way we have 415V three phase and 220/240V between phases in Europe/UK.

What can you do about it? Well, I'd be tempted to replace the motor with a US 3/4hp motor, keeping the old one available for a move back to Europe if there's the slightest chance it'll happen, or discard it if the move won't happen. It's unlikely it'd be worth selling the motor - postage costs would be prohibitive. If you have a motor re-winder locally it may be a viable alternative to buying a US motor.

Regards

Richard.

21/07/2018 22:03:52

Brian, I have one of these and the Warco equivalent. No half nuts, it's a simple lathe, so don't worry about these features that others above are used to, but this lathe doesn't have.

My suspicion falls on the shear pin in the leadscrew.Try, with the motor off, engaging the leadscrew. Now, using the leadscrew handwheel on the right, does the leadscrew turn? If yes, then something has sheared. If no gears turn in the drive belt box it's either the shear pin or dog clutch that's failed. Hopefully it's only the shear pin in the black connector shown on Jason's photo above at the extreme left end of the leadscrew. If it's not that, follow the rotating drive train as far as possible towards the chuck to find the last bit that rotates - then it's the next bit that's failed. You can probably make a spare yourself, with luck!

Regards

Richard.

Thread: A New Way To Cut Gummy Metals
20/07/2018 22:16:49

If it really works it'll be remarkable. Will give it a try.

Regards

Richard.

Thread: reel mower sharpening?
16/07/2018 18:02:03

A good few years ago I used a different brute ignorance & force method that actually worked rather well. I put an aluminium extrusion over the knife, and glued green grit paper to the extrusion, adjusted the mower to just touch the paper, ran it for a few seconds, adjusted the knife again and so on until the reel was all ground. Probably wouldn't work with big nicks out of the reel, but outherwise wasn't bad at all.

Regards

Richard.

Thread: MEW 270, Ajax Mill
15/07/2018 21:26:00

I hadn't noticed it on P60, so can confirm I'm going loopy. Thanks.

Regards

Richard

15/07/2018 17:59:42

Have I gone loopy, or is the article in the contents list but not in the magazine?

Regards

Richard.

Thread: Beware the dreaded GOUT
15/07/2018 10:31:54

I have gout which is mostly under control. It is one inheritance from my dad I don't appreciate - the one I have is a Y chromosome defect, so my brother has it too.

Gout is caused by a high concentration of uric acid in the blood precipitating out as uric acid sand. This is caused by the breakdown of protien. So the way I tackle it is to drink lots of fluids and reduce protien intake. This has meant a reduction in nuts and red meat. I now average 2-3 oz of chicken a day, rarely more than that. An 8oz steak will cripple me the next day. I have also found air conditioning in hot weather works wonders by reducing indirect water loss. If urinating and the stream is darker than faintly yellow, need to drink much more water.

I currently have very hot knuckles on both hands, an indication I need to drink a lot in the next few hours. I have had juice from red fruits recommended (eg cranberries) but for me it makes the situation worse, not better.

Regards

Richard

Thread: Milling, cutting in both directions !
11/07/2018 20:59:51

Does the table show any twist on its dovetails when you go from one direction to the other? I assume it was on the side of the cutter that you got the cut. If the gib strips allow the table to slide, there will be some potential for this to happen.

This can be measured with a dial gauge. On the cross slide of my lathe (a Warco Combi lathe/mill) the amount this happens when the gibs are set to be smooth for lathe work but is being used for milling, is 0.07mm over the width of my 80mm milling vice.

Regards

Richard.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest