By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Russ B

Here is a list of all the postings Russ B has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Restoring Beaver VBRP Mill
06/01/2014 17:48:40

Paul,

Here's the manual, get it while its hot - if its even slightly different to your own, it might just give you the slightly different angle or better clarity on any one picture or diagram that could help out - so enjoy, now I'm off to get my hands very dirty removing my J head to change the feed select shaft around 180°...........frown

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjped2vq7ywp240/Beaver%20Mill%20Mk2.pdf

I can't promise to host this for extended periods since I only have limited space but I'll leave it up for the time being.

let me know if you have any issues with downloading it

Edited By Russell Bates on 06/01/2014 18:15:05

06/01/2014 16:06:46

Hi Paul,

Mine is 47 pages and titled "Beaver Mill MK2, Operator's and Maintenance Manual"

it features information on adjustment of many items and an exploded view each assembly (head, ram, column, knee/saddle & table, various feed gearboxs, clutch box and so on) - here's one of the exploded views to give you an idea.

When I gathered information on my Bridgeport I found various manuals but struggled to find "the right one" for it, as well as detail issue, I now have a collection of slightly different manuals some old, some new, showing different version, some have section views, others exploded, between them, I have a pretty good idea of what's going on (although when it comes to stripping things down, there's nothing like following in someone's foot steps smiley (the number of times I've had to google things......)

06/01/2014 10:47:17

Paul,

I do have the full maintenance and service manual for the Beaver MK2, including exploded views of everything and full parts lists, wiring diagrams etc.

Let me know if you need a copy.

Regards,

Russ

Thread: mini Bandsaw, or mini Scroll Saw ??
05/01/2014 20:46:56

Billy, that really puts things in to perspective and that data sheet is a keeper thanks! - you've changed the game for me here. I over looked that vast difference in speed .......... there is certainly no way a speed controller will manage that sort of reduction.

I think the cheapest/easiest way to go is down the route of a plain pulley reduction, I don't wan't to get to complicated with this as my ambition and my ability are nearly as far apart as those blade speeds.......cheeky

Norman, its a great piece of kit but far to large for my needs , I'm looking for something portable enough to be shoved under a bench or above a cupboard when not needed.

05/01/2014 13:37:05

Hi Paul,

I don't think I have any pictures on me, certainly not on my home PC, I'll ask about and see if anyone knows if we've any documentation or info on it.

It's looking good !

Edited By Russell Bates on 05/01/2014 13:42:57

05/01/2014 13:34:57

I've been looking at those 2 link above again, and it appears the case of the 350w is not plastic and is possible cast aluminium/monkey metal, but I think I'm still leaning towards the old sheet metal design,

- It looks to have larger diameter wheels, and is a good 10db quieter (3+ times quieter then?)
- I prefer the simplicity of the main wheel adjuster, it looks more robust and upgradable/repairable
- The lower blade guide looks much closer to the table (its mounted outside the case under the table, as opposed to inside the case)

Tool station had these on sale once at £65, they are now only selling the new version for £100 - I think it's unlikely I'll get hold of one again for that price, might just have to watch ebay and keep my ear to the ground.

Thread: Still no Email notification of bookmarked forum posts.
04/01/2014 11:55:18

Hi Paul,

By default my Microsoft Hotmail account deemed them "junk", I had to fish one out of my junk mail and mark it as safe. All is working fine now.

On top of that if your security system scans emails, you may find you have to also "allow" the emails in that program too - but check its log before reading in to it, and after allowing them through your email account, as it may not have stopped any yet (I don't know how active/smart these types of program are?)

hope this helps,

Thread: Name that Rotary Table !!
04/01/2014 10:26:12

Brilliant! Those 2 look great!

Nick, yes it does have an adjusting screw on the worm spot on!

Rod, the machine it came with is a late 80's Nu-Tools Mill/Drill so its all adding up perfectly.

To me it looking like a pretty simple design and casting, and yet feels solid and quality and has a good low profile, is there any reason they all seem to have switched to the more rounded designs?

Thanks again everyone for all the input, its really nice to know a bit of history about my tooling!

03/01/2014 22:42:06

I've had a look for Ivan Law's castings but I couldn't see anything, also struggled finding pictures of anything other than the newer style rotary tables from Vertex and Soba (Homge castings/copies or are they just another name?)

I might get it stripped down, cleaned up and regreased, work out a mount for a little nema 17 and measure up for a home made tailstock of some sortsenlightened

03/01/2014 20:02:35

This is really great info, we've got one where I work, its been gather dust for decades, it was going to get thrown out when we moved premise but I managed to have it moved to our test facility with the old lathe we have, it's very noticably better than my bridgeport 1J, and since I'll soon be selling that sad it might just come in handy if I have some big jobs

All the best,

Edited By Russell Bates on 03/01/2014 20:03:15

Thread: Name that Rotary Table !!
03/01/2014 19:47:56

Hi all,

I recently bought a new machine, and the generous chap threw in what I think, is a very nice 6" rotary table, but I've not seen one like this before and can't find any similar by googling, I thought maybe it's one he had machined himself from castings?

It has a lovely smooth and very sure motion, with no backlash at all. It has a very low profile and can be mounted horizontally or vertically. there is a plug in the center which is plain, and reveals a hole benith, I don't think its 1 morse but it could be, I'll try an old centre in it next time I remember but from memory, it has no thru hole and a standard 1 morse is certainly taller than the whole thing (I could be totoally wrong about the through hole...)

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited By Russell Bates on 03/01/2014 19:50:46

Edited By JasonB on 03/01/2014 19:55:35

03/01/2014 17:59:48

Michael,

If it could cut metal well I'd be interested, but Norman is certainly saying otherwise, as a scroll saw project this could be right up someone's street - but as a metal cutting saw, maybe not mine?

I'm still undecided, internal cuts would be of great use to me, and I could suffer the rest - its still got to be easier than hand cutting. - PLUS i seem to think the plate where the blade goes through is removable, meaning in my head, custom shapes, maybe a file could be modified and mounted to further modified mounts..... I don't know...

to many things to consider for a Friday night, I'll keep pondering yes

03/01/2014 17:56:09

Well on the bandsaw front, and following advice on the "dual wheel" version, I'm moving towards the "generic" 250w version with the old fashion square steel appearance, as opposed to the newer style 350w rounded moulded plastic.

Purely because I've looked in the Silverline manuals and the square metal box type, look very easy and simple to modify! where as the moulded plastic cases are what they are, they isn't much you can do if you wanted to change or repair/replace part of the case!

I also noticed the 350w is CONSIDERABLY noisier and lighter weight - none of which are attributes I value.

Square box 250w

**LINK**

newer style round 350w

**LINK**

03/01/2014 17:03:19

Looks interesting!

EDIT I wont be getting one then......... screwfix advertise it for sale, but seemingly have no stock (I've searched from Grimsby to Manchester, Leicister to Leeds,they won't post me one, and just keep telling me no stock in "that" area (they wont actually tell me where they do have stock...... if they have stock......) - I had this problem a while ago with them when I tried to buy a circular saw they had on "offer"........

Original msg: I've found a quick video review of the Erbauer, its coming in under a different brand name but its the same saw, I like the look of it, I might just have a gamble as it looks to be coping very well with a thick piece of wood, so a thin piece of aluminium seems reasonable I'll see if I can find anything else

http://youtu.be/BmGIuGTqB9I

I've edited this multiple times for various spelling errors sorry - its a Friday thing

Edited By Russell Bates on 03/01/2014 17:13:56

Thread: Workshop Break in
03/01/2014 15:50:31

Just "Googled" this could be the link they gave me, they also gave me stickers advertising that everything was "registered" - not sure I'll use these, as the thief's would then know to remove the serial numbers!

**LINK**

Edited By Russell Bates on 03/01/2014 15:50:59

03/01/2014 15:46:19

I have recently received a knock on the door from the police, there have been several break ins so they've been warning everyone and handing out advice.- The police now have a database that you can register any/all serial numbers, from your phone, to you satnav, your TV, radio, tools, anything, even make your own serial numbers. This way if they ever find something or recover stolen goods, they can check the database, meaning you could get your stuff back, and it means you can also then ........

search the regular sites, craigslist, gumtree, ebay for a similar item in your proximity and ask to go and view it - is it yours can you identify it ??. (If you can't identify but you know it's yours...... make other arrangements angel)

So if you dont already, I'd start keeping serial numbers of all valuable stuff and mark them somewhere hidden "ish" with your own numbers if they don't have any or are not permanent enough! then if you view an item, and it is yours, keep your poker face on, and leave, drive around the corner, and call the police.

I'll get that database website link when I'm home tonight and post it here.

03/01/2014 13:54:46

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 03/01/2014 10:51:28:

... Perhaps we should be looking at ways to re-engineer one of the cheap knock-offs to make it work properly.

[/quote]

This sounds like an interesting challenge, I guess it all swings on what makes a Hegner or more specifically, what doesn't !!

I've just finished a similar budget machine conversion project (£20 in materials) with a CNC'd Sieg SX1L milling machine from ArcEuro, which I ended up putting an extra £80 in to for a rigid column which I could have got by without, but it proved absolutely fantastic, it reduced deflection by a factor of 10 or more, and really just stiffened up everything, I think the tilting column was twisting and rocking in almost all axis except that in which its supposed to tilt in!

The plan was to remove the top and gearbox and fit a 250-500w brushless motor with a remote speed controller and belt drive but now I've picked up a pretty much brand new 1989 NuTools Mill/Drill (RF-20 copy) cheap, thus Sieg project is getting polished and sold as is with its std. gear box and as a manual machine but with the motor mounts, coupling hardware, and limit switches left discreetly in place should anyone ever want to go that way with it.

yes

might bob it on the "for sale" bit here once I get it there, and I'll also be selling my manual Bridgeport - due to moving house in the next year and not having a proper size workshop anymore - I'm also trying to get it past my missus to allow me in the of the house with this stuff smile p

- someone pinch me, I'm dreaming .....

02/01/2014 22:39:22

Thanks for all the responses, really appriciate it, I'll keep thinking about this tomorrow, it certainly sounds like a scroll saw is maybe not the best approach, at least not a budget one, I have seen some of the dual wheel version for around the £100-120 mark so maybe that's the way to go.

I had found and Erbauer saw for £99.99 from screwfix which has a flexi shaft, with a 100 piece accessory kit, full of mini sanding, grinding, and polishing bits and pieces, as well as an intergrated work light, a dust extraction point, and an adaptor to take plain blades as well as 2 pin (albeit a bit fiddly by the looks of it). I could really see the uses for one of those machines and its extras!!....... not that it would have any use for my needs right now - I'm just a bit of a tool lover.

IanT this jigsaw idea looks like something I'd like to get stuck in to, I'll have to have a closer look at how a scroll saw works, as I thought it was pretty much a jigsaw action - hence the Erbauer sounded up my street??

This above jig saw looks like it should be pretty easy to knock up, thanks for that - might hook a foot switch to mine though - dont trust myself - already to proud owner of a shredded thumb which after at least 10 years, still isnt right.

Thanks again for all these replies, really appriciate it! yes

02/01/2014 15:05:34

Thanks IanT,

I'll be cutting aluminium plate, likely 2-6mm thick, and occasionally I might tackle thicker things, probably bar stock up to 1" (I might just hand cut this to be honest) - on very rare occasions small thin brass or copper ( I could keep a variety of different blades for various materials as they're cheap and easy to store and change)

At the moment I'm cutting stock to size in a vice with the hacksaw, which is why I thought a bandsaw or table saw would make my life an awful lot easier - but it doesn't really give me any extra abilities and I can't afford the space or money for 2 machines at the moment so,

The only reason for considering a scroll saw is the potential of being able to cut profiles for small parts relatively well, potentially saving me machining time/tool life. A scroll saw I guess would sacrificing a fairly large amount of cutting speed and straight line accuracy which I don't think I need, anything's easier than the hacksaw, I'll leave precision cuts to the miller or lathe.

Thread: Calculating volume in metric
02/01/2014 13:38:12

And the winner of the quickest combined mistake spotting and volume calculations goes to .....

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest