By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Danny M2Z

Here is a list of all the postings Danny M2Z has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do today? (2013)
23/09/2013 15:44:53

gauge.jpg

G'day.

This evening I made one of these devil

Regards from the land of the kangaroo

* Danny M *

Thread: A compact gearbox
23/09/2013 15:35:49
Posted by Graham Meek on 23/09/2013 09:26:36:

The Unimog shown on the above thread is a nice piece of engineering.

G'day Gray.

Thanks for that link, it will simplify designing the mounts for my leadscrew drive assembly.

The drill he used has a multi-speed gearbox, even better for my intended use.

(That Unimog would make a nice up-to-date project for M.E.).

* Danny M *

22/09/2013 23:29:54

G'day.

Decided to fit a toothed pulley to the output shaft (ex-HP printer) and use the printer's toothed belt to drive another pulley fixed in my C3 Mini-Lathe leadscrew via an expanding mandrel. With my variable D.C. power supply it could be yet another fine feed design.

If it works out I shall take some photos.

* Danny M *

Thread: USB microscope
21/09/2013 01:16:06

G'day

I made a Centrecam from the article in MEW a few years ago. it is handy when mounted in the lathe chuck to inspect tools. I actually mounted it to test the concentricity by rotating the chuck to observe the runout. The cenrecam software is actually one that I would actually like to register and pay the author but he has disappeared.

* Danny M *

centrecam view of tailstock.jpg

Thread: A compact gearbox
20/09/2013 12:23:35

G'day all.

I needed a tool to rotate fishing rods at about 6 rpm while the epoxy on the coatings dried (to avoid 'slump'

I settled on a defunct power screwdriver that was inherited from a mate long passed. With an adjustable DC power supply it was ok.

During the disassembly of this tool I noticed that it had a pretty remarkable gearbox, a 6 tooth drive cog on the motor driving 3 intermediate gears driving a planet which drove 3 more intermediate gears via another 6 tooth gear which drove the output shaft with enough torque that it was difficult to stop by hand.

The shaft on the electic motor (about 1.5mm dia) has a flat to locate on the tiny gear which also has a tiny 'D' shaped hole in the drive cog.

Here is a link to the patent that I found.

www.google.co.in/patents/US4003274

All in all it's a lovely design. I would love to know how the tiny 'D' shaped hole was made in that tiny gear

* Danny M *

Thread: Parting off problems
19/09/2013 12:52:37

>>> The parting-off problem is quite often in the set up and actually difficult to resolve without using a rear toolpost. I think the geometry of a rear toolpost is more important than it being at the rear, but that's an opinion. <<<

For minilathe owners (or anybody else with a bolted on chuck).

A parting off tool may be mounted upside down in the front toolpost and the lathe run in reverse for the advantages of this method of parting off. You will probably need a quick change tool post to drop the cutting edge to centre height.

Regards from the land ofd the kangaroo

* Danny M *

Thread: Another thread on buying a lathe
11/09/2013 14:04:52

G'day.

For other lathe purchasers, this is on ebay U.K.

**LINK**

Regards rom the land of the kangaroo

* Danny M *

Thread: Account Closing
09/09/2013 05:23:30

G'day Harold.

Whatever your reasons for wishing to know how to unsubscribe I would just like to thank you for your most informative books and articles in MEW. They have been quite inspirational.

You seem to have the knack of writing at a level that a beginner can follow, yet from which an expert can still learn a few new tricks.

Well done Harold.

* Danny M *

Thread: I need some silver solder
09/09/2013 05:00:46

G'day. I don't know if you can get this (or equivalent) in the U.K. It sounds like just what you are looking for.

The pack has 5 sticks of flux coated silver solder and it's very good.

* Danny M *

silver solder.jpg

Thread: Aldi multipurpose electric saw
07/09/2013 00:53:27

G'day Mike. A nice piece of kit for the money.

Are replacement blades readily available? (Aldi operate here in Australia)

Regards from the lanf of the kangaroo

* Danny M *

Thread: What did you do today? (2013)
07/09/2013 00:29:48

G'day. I returned a set of T-handled hex keys to the local hardware store. I wondered why this one spun around in the socket. Hmmm, somebody is going to the 're-education camp'. I wonder how many of these slipped past the QC.

* Danny M *dodgy hex key.jpg

Thread: turning ally
06/09/2013 01:13:19

G'day.

Although I often use paraffin (kero to some), I have also found that a local (Australian) lube called Inox is quite handy to use on aluminium (in the spray-can variety). As well as being a handy cutting fluid it is great for fishing reels, model engines etc. I have no connection with the company btw.

**LINK** has more info.

Cu Later * Danny M *

Thread: Please don't do aYahoo!
30/08/2013 17:22:15

G'day again.

I actually got a response from a customer service person apologising for the 'problems'.

They must have checked my account as they said that I had been a valued customer for 7 years etc...

I told the poor lady that it was not her fault that her new boss was stupid and advised her that it might be a good idea to start looking for a new job as the mainstream media are picking up on the saga.

Many of the affected users are now complaining to Yahoo advertisers. The ones that have bothered to reply to me so far have promised to investigate the matter further.

Ain't social media wonderful?

Cu Later * Danny M *

30/08/2013 15:20:27

Hi Geoff.

You are not alone, see **LINK** for more info.

It may be relevant here as I have been an active member of the mini-lathe and mill groups for many years as I find that they complement this group quite nicely.

One of the nastier aspects is that my account was selected for the NEO trial without asking me if I wanted to become a crash test dummy.

There is talk of applying pressure to Yahoo by boycotting/ complaining to their advertisers.

Thank goodness I don't hold any shares in their stock.

Cu Later * Danny M *

Thread: Using a Fly Cutter to face aluminium.
15/08/2013 20:05:53

Posted by Chris123 on 15/08/2013 18:24:13:

> Hi, does anyone use a fly cutter to face aluminium?

> What shape should I make to the HSS tool bit?

> Any other advice?

G'day Chris.

If using a HSS tool, sharpen it as a LH lathe tool. I find that kero (paraffin) as a cutting lube can improve the final finish.

* Danny M *

Thread: Andy Franks (AndyF):- Sad news
15/08/2013 08:12:59

Andy was the moderator of the Yahoo 7x12 Minilathe group to which I have subscribed for many years.

A nicer, more understanding moderator would be hard to find in any online forum.

Condolences to his family and friends.

* Danny M *

Thread: Drill Sharpening
10/08/2013 01:37:54
Posted by Harold Hall 1 on 09/08/2013 09:49:08:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> snip <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Yes Danny, let's see some photos.

Here is how I modified my drill jig to hold lathe tools.

grinding jig front view 1s.jpg

grinding jig rear view 2s.jpg

completed with tool 2s.jpg

completed with tool s.jpg

inserts and fence parts 3s.jpg

milled flat 3s.jpg

locking grubscrews 4s.jpg

ground tool 6s.jpg

10 degrees s.jpg

A cheap $2 Aldi protractor to set 10°. As Harold says in his book 'Tool & Cutter Sharpening', a sharp tool is more important than the precise angle.

09/08/2013 02:20:21

G'day Harold et al.

I modified my (el cheapo) drill sharpening rig to hold lathe tools at predictable angles before I made the HH grinding table. It worked better than freehand grinding. Basically, a round piece of ally with a slot to hold the tool which was locked in with grubscrews. The pivot also gained a few grubscrews to lock it. I can post photos if required.

Cu later * Danny M *

Thread: Plans for Centre Finder Wobbler tool
29/07/2013 18:52:47

G'day Jerry.

Workshop Practice Series #20 'Metalwork & Machining Hints & Tips' has detailed plans & manufacturing instructions for precisely what you described.

Cu Later * Danny M *

Thread: Is it true that our access to the digital archive going to disappear?
12/07/2013 12:51:38

Dianne (and David if you're reading this).

Obviously this 'revision' of distribution methods has p*ssed-off a lot of loyal subscribers.

So exactly how much input do yourself and David have with the owners of ME & MEW?

I suspect that the magazine editors have been put between a rock and a hard place.

For every person that accesses this forum there must be hundreds that purchase the magazine but;

Do not have access to the website technology

Do not care

Just want to get on with making swarf

Or like myself, are fed-up with another method designed to rip me off a few more $$

Cu Later * Danny M *

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate