By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Danny M2Z

Here is a list of all the postings Danny M2Z has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cheap Remote Cameras
27/11/2017 08:28:53

Neil, I found that this screen is ok for viewing in flight video, it also has an onboard recording SIM facility and a sun shade. **LINK**

As for cameras, this little Sony works quite well. **LINK**

These are just typical examples, shop around!

As for the RC&ME forum forget it! Too many bossy old farts and legends in their own minds although there are many great contributors just a few people drag them down and some are overzealous moderators. I once commented on the mass build 'Lemmings' and was immediately struck off the forum. No warning. Even complained to the editor, no reply after almost 2 years!

Have much more fun here **LINK** and lots of fvp advice.

* Danny M *

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
19/11/2017 11:36:39

Here is a linky to some aviation down under. Norfolk island is a bitch of a strip btw but when the wind blows and there is nowhere left to land it works out ok - usually . * Danny M *

**LINK**

Edited By Danny M2Z on 19/11/2017 11:42:02

Thread: Wanted - a guide to adhesives
18/11/2017 09:05:27

The quotes that I see are all very good information but obviously biased towards the vendors' products.

Not to say there is anything wrong with them as I have used many of them, and they all seem to work.

Neil - This topic deserves to become a 'sticky' ? cheeky

* Danny M *

Thread: Wassup?
09/11/2017 10:40:22
Posted by Yens Phillips on 07/11/2017 14:21:34:. Still an apprentice, hopefully have that finished soon and will be staying on with my firm.

Welcome to the forum Yens and well done to pick a trade that requires manual skills to fit the parts.

Not many apprenticeships around nowadays - you picked wisely.

As I tell my friend's children "Don't worry about robots - learn how to design and repair them!"

* Danny M *

Thread: Runout drilling 2mm hole
09/11/2017 09:41:47
Posted by Chris Trice on 09/11/2017 02:55:33:

Make a D bit from some 2mm silver steel and use lots of lubricant, if the hole size is that crucial.

That is excellent advice Chris, simple is good but surprisingly accurate with a sharp tool.

* Danny M *

Thread: Buying a mill - What basic Toolkit?
31/10/2017 10:14:15
Posted by Vic on 31/10/2017 09:59:37

I was shown how to get the head of a mill vertical with a long bent rod and a fag paper! Half a thou over 30 inches is close enough!

Indeed it is Vic; So could you please give a bit more info as I am sure that I am not the only interested person here.

* Danny M *

Thread: Bandsaws and their blades
29/10/2017 11:11:15
Posted by Robin on 29/10/2017 09:48:33:

I am starting to feel almost hopeful...

The blade is about an inch wide, it overhangs the entire face of the wheel and the suspicious groove. I have ordered a can of gunk I am going to clean the groove out and the wheel face

Robin, this seems that your blade is too wide as my 6x4 bandsaw blades are more like about 1/2 inch wide. Here is a linky that may be helpful. **LINK**

* Danny M *

29/10/2017 08:02:59
Posted by not done it yet on 29/10/2017 07:55:48:

Maybe that groove is to allow different width bands to be used? Teeth of narrow band running in the groove?

Nooo way! If the narrow blade runs a little off track the kerf will be f**kerfed

* Danny M *

Thread: Gib material - Is brass best?
29/10/2017 07:51:29
Posted by Hopper on 29/10/2017 05:05:20:

If you look on various mini-lathe forums it seems brass gib strips is a common modification that apparently works for them. It's a low speed , low load application so material spec is not real critical. Not like on a motorbike main bearing etc

When the cast iron/ Chinese cracker carriage gibs cracked on my mini-lathe (as many others have found out it is weak spot waiting for a heavy hand) I made replacements from 6mm brass plate and after many years they are still working well with the odd tweak when chasing down a chattering problem during parting-off.

The chattering was mainly due to operator error and loose top-slide clearance. I checked this by putting a DTI on the bed and leaning hard on all the moving bits until the clock gave me something worthwhile to investigate.

Diamond lapping and carbide paper dressing the moving faces (gibs and bearing faces - the bearing faces were quite roughly finished, tailstock similar) improved things nicely and inserting 1.5mm ball bearings under replacement cup-pointed gib adjusting screws got things moving nicely.

I used bearing blue to check the progress but am not experienced at scraping so just used it as an indicator.

* Danny M *

Thread: Are you offended when the media poke fun at your hobby?
27/10/2017 08:58:08

I was lambasted by G/F and mates when I purchased a lathe and mill, oscilloscope and various bits of electronic test equipment.

Nowadays it's a knock on the door with a humble "can you have a look at this?" Current project is a Marshall amp for a muso friend. I usually save more than 50% of submitted items from inhabiting the local rubbish dump.

Similar when I purchased my first multicopter, neighbours and friends asked why?

Why is because it's the way of the future. With a commercial licence one can earn a very lucrative income by filming wheat silos, irrigation channels, wind generators, real estate and crops etc etc etc.

The sweet aspect is when the local media ask for a few shots because their camera operator is not qualified/licenced/insured so cannot get clearance to fly. The downside is that to obtain authorisation a flight plan has to be lodged beforehand by a registered operator and it's not free nowadays.

So average geek earnings are about $120-$150 P/H (even for old geeks) but even more is on offer if one cares to work on a an oil rig in the Timor Sea during the cyclone season.

* Danny M *

Thread: Calipers - Dial v digital
26/10/2017 07:00:12

Always my first 'go-to' tool for day to day measuring to a thou, my Mitutoyo dial caliper is used regularly. Before using I drag a slip of paper between the jaws to clean them and check zero. As already noted, they can jump a tooth but seriously, this has happened about twice in 30 years and the instructions show how to use a piece of brass shim to make a simple reset tool.

For more precise work I use a Moore & Wright tenths reading vernier micrometer and to be honest, I have not found a requirement to use my expensive digital tools for so long that they are stored without batteries installed with the exception of a cheap digital caliper used as a drilling/boring depth indicator attached to the lathe tailstock.

I am not quite a Luddite as I do have an ancient calculator in the workshop that always seems to have 25.4 programmed as a constant in the memory.

* Danny M *

big tiger - 9s.jpg

Thread: The death of Diesel?
25/10/2017 06:10:30

Mike, you hit the nail on the head. Here is an old article that may be of interest. **LINK**

But then it's easier to tax the multitudes or the poorer people whom own older cars than pick on the multinationals.

On top of that, as jet airliners spew their combustion products throughout the atmosphere they are burning a refined variety of diesel fuel (Jet A1 kerosene) - although there have been experiments using refined cooking oil; but after all the hype this seems more like a PR exercise to jump on the politically correct green bandwagon

* Danny M *

Thread: A simple and cheap swarf pickup tool
24/10/2017 11:29:37

Hi Colin. Great tool at decent cost saving.
Surprising how your helpful post can attract the muppets frown

Well done!

* Danny M *

Thread: Australian carmaking runs out of road
22/10/2017 16:28:43
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 22/10/2017 14:12:41:

Hmm.

If you ask me all this proves is that Australia is 30 years behind the UK...

>ducks<

No need to duck Neil, you are perfectly correct but it is not bad to live in a place without the crowds, the congestion taxes and air pollution.

This last weekend I went to the annual seaplane event on the nearby Lake Hume. Of the (about 50) entrants approximately 90% of their models were powered by i.c. engines, the larger ones being petrol engines. The remainder were little foamy battery powered beginners models.

Driving home (about 40 km) I saw a few vehicles, there were no traffic jams and the air was pure and clean.

It seems that we are more like 100 years behind the U.K.but it is a sweet / ok / fair dinkum and bonzer place full of adventures yet to be had.

* Danny M *

Thread: New chinese lathe or old Myford lathe
22/10/2017 05:08:50
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 20/10/2017 11:31:52:
Posted by Danny M2Z on 20/10/2017 10:24:12:

ps. if I just invented a new word iAge then I claim all credit!

www.iageonline.com/

Lol - thanks Neil, that was not exactly the connotation that I was thinking of, I was referring to the company named after the fruit that reputedly fell onto Sir Isaac Newton's head and their global influence angel

* Danny M *

ps. my version has a big 'A', the Indians only have a small 'a', there is a difference!

20/10/2017 10:24:12

Here is my 20¢ worth.

China (as well as most other industrialised countries) are perfectly capable of building decent machinery.

The deciding factors between great, fair and adequate (given a decent initial design) are all down to quality control.

Decent quality control and inspection costs more than lesser standards so in a competitive market a hobby machinery importer is between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

The target market expectations range from a budget conscious hobbyist to more seasoned veterans so it is always a juggling act to get the balance right between price, included accessories and advertising expenses and then still take home a fair wage to feed the wife and kids.

Often the decider for the purchaser is the magic word 'SUPPORT'.

When on the odd occasion I have purchased an item that did not perform or was defective the response of the vendor was critical. A poor (or lack of) response not only meant a lost customer for ever but with today's social media probably a few others too.

The good side is that when a good vendor is found that act decently then the word spreads just as rapidly.

I have noticed that a few forum advertisers are aware of this and participate here - Well done to those people and smart thinking for keeping up with life in the iAge.

* Danny M *

ps. if I just invented a new word iAge then I claim all credit!

Edited By Danny M2Z on 20/10/2017 10:26:45

Edited By Danny M2Z on 20/10/2017 10:28:54

Thread: Ideas for Beginners' Articles
19/10/2017 12:29:16

Judging by the questions on this website an (unbiased) article regarding re; 'Purchasing One's First Lathe' could be of use to a beginner.

Telling the neophyte what accessories to seek (and avoid) would also be quite useful.

The biggest problem would be to avoid treading on the toes of the advertisers as most of them have pretty reasonable kit so such an article would have to be pretty generic.

"Such is Life" (Quote from an infamous Aussie as the trapdoor opened).

* Danny M *

Thread: Super High Speed Spur Gears
19/10/2017 06:30:18
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 18/10/2017 21:38:20:

One of these eh?

I had one of these when I was younger. XB Falcon, a great Aussie car for 1975.

When I purchased a Holley 250 twin carb for it a wise mechanic friend refused to tune it until a larger (free breathing) exhaust system was fitted. To quote "Danny, first thing to consider is how to get rid of all the extra burnt stuff"

So a custom dual exhaust, complete with extractors was fitted. Each pipe ended up with twin 'Hot Dog' mufflers so it was a quiet burble when idling/cruising but gave a throaty roar when cranking.

Next thing was that the transmission, brakes and suspension had to be upgraded to handle the extra power and stop the beast. With the cost of a new set of Pirelli's the original price was skyrocketing (fitted a racing harness seatbelt system and upgraded the sound system too).

The front end (steering) got a bit light at about 200Kph so a new air dam and revised rear spoiler were next on the list.

Fortunately, I got married and very smart wife persuaded me to sell it, mainly because it drank fuel like a 747 and when she took it shopping all the other hoons wanted to race her from the lights. Possibly why I am still around

If I were to make such a (mid-life-crisis) toy today then something like this looks interesting **LINK**

* Danny M *

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
05/10/2017 07:26:40
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 04/10/2017 21:37:30:

I see Owd Roger is back albeit at much reduced strength. Only sold by the half pint I remember, strongest beer I've ever had.

Rough Scrumpy was another Somerset treat. Tasted horrible, got you stupid-drunk very quickly and then you were violently ill in the morning. Marvellous!

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 04/10/2017 21:38:06

I tried this on an European visit **LINK**. It's very nice, quite deadly for numbing the senses and possibly useful as a biofuel or maybe a cutting fluid.

I tried to obtain some in Australia but was informed that it had a short shelf life so not imported. Fortunately our local brews are of decent quality. Current favourites come from Tasmania - It's all down to the beautiful water purity. The Taswegans even make award winning world class whisky **LINK**

Anyway - Drink in moderation and do not go near machinery if you have had more than a few.

As for workshop progress, my rotary fly-tying vice is near completion so expect photographs in the near future.

* Danny M *

ps. What is the correct way to spell Whisky, Whiskey, Wisky........... ?????

Thread: A bit of humour
28/09/2017 11:27:48

A bloke came home and found his missus in bed with his mate so the bloke grabbed a kitchen knife and stabbed his mate to death.

Missus looked at him and said "Keep that up and one day you're going to run out of mates"

* Danny M *

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Warco
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest