By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Danny M2Z

Here is a list of all the postings Danny M2Z has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
28/02/2019 05:37:50

It appears that our (Australian) govt. has committed funds to a new locally designed advanced combat drone Australian Drone

* Danny M *

Thread: Model Engineering ca 1919
21/02/2019 09:55:18

This is also worth a read Popular Mechanics 1905

* Danny M *

Thread: New coffee maker - disgusting taste!
19/02/2019 21:15:02
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 19/02/2019 19:40:42:

I was in Costa yesterday and ordered a cappuccino.

Apparently what I got was a large latte although I thought i had found the legendary lost FA Cup.

Neil

(It's only in the last four or so years I've started drinking proper coffee with any regularity, because most tea these days is awful - probably because its been 'brewed' by Australian baristas, eh Danny? )

I can only quote what I have experienced after drinking coffee in many cities around the world. The worst coffee I ever had was in San Diego btw. Melbourne Coffee Culture

* Danny M *

19/02/2019 07:28:57

Here is why I like the local coffee. **LINK** It's pretty good and a mate has moved to London as a barista to teach you how decent coffee should be made and taste, The English might be ok to brew a cup of tea and read the leaves but a decent cappuchino seems to beyond your local talents, His brother is working in Paris btw cheeky

* Danny M *

Thread: Buying lathes direct from China
14/02/2019 06:04:13

Not a lathe, but I purchased one of these a year ago **LINK**

It cost me $256Au shipped and arrived in ten days. This was prior to when 10% GST added tariff came into effect. Even with 10% added it would still be a bargain.

The best local price that I was quoted was $750Au + $25 postage with 14-21 days delivery.

I prefer to support local business but at almost 1/3 the local price I decided that the risk was worth it and it was.

* Danny M *

Thread: Scary Technology
12/02/2019 07:32:42

I was asked to film the cherry orchard because my friend's property is quite close to this location **LINK** and his 19 y/o son is very concerned about his future so they want to compile an historical record of their orchard.

It was only after watching me input the GPS waypoints into a Google Earth map of his parent's farm to my laptop and then just hitting the start icon to autonomously fly the mission that I was asked about this technology and he pointed me towards the video. His question was "Is this really true?"

Unfortunately, the technology is evolving at a scary pace so the lad has a lot to worry about. These systems are already in place **LINK**and remember, these are only the ones that have had the information released to the public.

I might be well past the halfway point to my 'use by' date but I can well understand the concerns of the young man and I sympathise with his apprehensions.

* Danny M *

10/02/2019 23:02:18

After watching a demonstration of one of my drones flying an autonomous (pre-programmed) inspection of his cherry orchard my farmer friend's son pointed me towards this scary presentation about lethal autonomous micro drones. **LINK**

* Danny M *

Thread: Storing small lengths of steel stock
06/02/2019 09:09:35

Before you store them, label them with material type and dimensions (e.g. 2024 T-3, 25mm x 45mm) A CD marker pen seems to write on most materials.

From experience it saves a lot of time when trying to find the right piece for a job in the 'goodies' box months/years later.

* Danny M *

Thread: Old screwdrivers - any use as a materials source?
04/02/2019 08:15:52

Screwdriver handles are useful to re-purpose as fuel tanks for ancient model diesel engines (useless for glow fuel though - they melt)

Here is what I made for a '50's ED Baby, Ok, wrong shape (not worth a form tool) but right colour, Works well though.

* Danny M *

ed baby screwdriver tank.jpged baby driver1.jpg

Thread: Jason's Firefly .46 Build
31/01/2019 04:16:53

Nice build on the Firefly.

Just a comment about using diamond lapping compound.

It works very well, almost too well (I have tried it) but it is vital to remove all traces prior to running the engine,

I read a few years ago advice from some of the guru's who build pylon racing engines that the diamonds embed in the bore and the only hope to remove the residue is with thorough ultrasonic cleaning.

Given this info I only once tried diamond paste and had to concur so now prefer to use the traditional lapping pastes of which I have a variety ranging from 400- 4000 grit.

After all that, when building a ringed engine, a light hone of the bore resulting in a nice X-hatch pattern seems to be the way to go with a turned, split and heat treated cast iron ring (using a spacer in the gap when cooking it).

Here is a linky to what I am on about smiley **LINK**

* Danny M *

Thread: You tube videos of entertainment if not informative
29/01/2019 11:43:38

This one is interesting for new engine designs **LINK**

* Danny M *

Thread: Mini Lathe Rear Tool Post
20/01/2019 18:38:05

This might do the trick. Postage may exceed the initial cost, but they ship promptly **LINK**

* Danny M *

Thread: Cutting a large chunk of nice aluminium into workable pieces
20/01/2019 18:22:44

Thanks for all the info people and especially the links from Michael Gilligan.

#1 G/F has a large vertical bandsaw in her workshop so I might ask about fitting a suitable blade and leaving it behind as payment.

I only want a few small slices to experiment with to see how it machines into model engine con-rods and compare it with the 2024 T3 that I currently use.

* Danny M *

Edited By Danny M2Z on 20/01/2019 18:23:22

Thread: Intended function of gib screws
20/01/2019 18:00:37
Posted by Fowlers Fury on 19/01/2019 12:46:32:

Regarding my earlier reference to the Geo Thomas write-up on gibs. He laid emphasis on the shape of the ends of gib adjusting screws and the holes (in the gibs) on which they contact. It was his view that it was important to prevent what he termed a "wedging action" whereby when adjusting - the gibs would move 'laterally' as it were.
This was his diagram:-
gib screws.jpg
(In the upper dwg, if the ends of the screws were left unfinished, the problem would likely be as bad)
His lower dwg was advocated as the preferred design, as adopted later by Myford, to prevent the wedging action when adjusting the gibs.

As a variation on this method I found that replacing the gib screws on my mini-lathe with cup-point screws and inserting a small ball bearing into the dimple was a simple and very useful modification.

I had considered dowelling the gibs but now think that this is no longer necessary.

* Danny M *

Thread: Cutting a large chunk of nice aluminium into workable pieces
20/01/2019 05:41:14

A friend who works at a large engineering workshop did me a great favour,

For an $18 (Au) 'donation' to the brew club this 'offcut' duly arrived.

It's 20mm thick and harder than a witches t**s so my problem is how to cut it into practical sizes to fit into my X-3 mini-lathe and X2 Mill.

I am not looking forward to 'hacksaw solutions' but maybe the only way so it's going to be a pita although the exercise should do me well.

46° (about 117°F) here on Thursday, too hot to work in the den btw.

Any comments and tips about the machinability of this aluminium are most welcome.

* Danny M *

aluminium -2.jpg

aluminium -1.jpg

Thread: Free Electricity
17/01/2019 05:00:07

When I was a young radar mechanic a friend put a fluorescent tube up in a gum tree and showed what happened when the x-band radar antenna was pointed at it.

A fairly narrow beam, 1MW pulses at a PRF of 1100 Hz (used to track mortar bombs).
We used this to spook the gunners with our magic lighting system.

Another trick was to plug an electric shaver into a tree trunk and have a shave. Battery powered razors were a new invention in those days so most artillery people had never heard of them (mid '70's)

* Danny M *

Thread: What is this for ?
15/01/2019 23:08:14

G'day Ian, It appears to be a tailstock taper turning attachment.

It also appears to be nicely made with the adjustable gibs and graduated offset dial.

Noway would I mess with the taper, to much chance of ruining it !

* Danny M *

Thread: Silver soldering problems.
13/01/2019 05:22:56

Lots of useful info here **LINK**

Although I just stick to the soft lead pencil dont know

* Danny M *

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
10/01/2019 03:00:12

It looks like the fallout from this 'incident' is reverberating around the world. **LINK** and here **LINK**

Like our knee jerk firearms laws, this is harassing and penalising the innocent, law abiding majority for the transgressions of a few nutbags.

It would have been more effective to spend the $$$ by educating the public rather than stamping down on them.

A criminal operator is as likely to register a drone as they do with an illegal firearm or stolen car.

Why just not demonise the law breaker's and lock them up for a looong time with lots of publicity?

Also, the mass/mess media have a lot to answer for, but that seems to be normal nowadays (when it suits them), as they also fly drones to gather their harvest.

* Danny M *

Thread: what solvent cleaner to use?
08/01/2019 04:13:52

This stuff works nicely, just remove all the plastic parts first **LINK** and wear disposable gloves.

- Danny M -

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest