By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Danny M2Z

Here is a list of all the postings Danny M2Z has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lead Bearing Solder is Banned
18/11/2018 23:04:08

Legislation banning lead wheel weights is already in place in some jurisdictions **LINK**

I actually put a few in the lead pot (about 5%) when casting lead projectiles for my muzzle-loader, the antimony content gives harder projectiles.

So I wonder when lead fishing weights are going to be banned, can't be good for the waterways with people deliberately chucking lumps of lead into them.

Lead shot for duck hunting is already banned here in Australia but not for clay target shooting.

* Danny M *

Thread: Mini-lathe dying..?
18/11/2018 06:46:10
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/11/2018 11:50:44:

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 17/11/2018 10:31:06:

My mini-lathe had a hole in the control box where it went over the leadscrew. Bad design because it allowed swarf inside where a streamer of aluminium dropped on the electronics could blow the board! Newer mini-lathes are fitted with a grommet.

Tell me about it... happened to my CL300M, I converted it to a VFD and 3-phase motor but used teh same control box, with added grommet.

Neil.

One of the first mods that I did to my mini-lathe was to make a cover for the hole in the control box by punching a hole into the lid of a 35mm film container, waxed the leadscrew, removed the saddle and tail bearing, slid the device along the leadscrew then filled the cap with neutral cure silicon rubber before pressing it into place against the control box.

This was over ten years ago and it's still functioning quite well. It is flexible enough for when I occasionally swap between metric and imperial leadscrews

Also, while the saddle was off the lathe I made a perspex cover for the saddle traversing gears, a very worthwhile mod imho.

Months of perusing the mini-lathe forum **LINK** was invaluable when setting up the little beastie

* Danny M *

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
13/11/2018 06:26:17

Today I put my newly repaired 1947 Mills 1.3 onto the test stand.

With an ancient 8"x5" laminated wooden propeller and a Cox 0.049 spinner nut it started and ran sweetly within four flicks.

Sweet music.

* Danny M *

mills 1.3 test run - 2s.jpg

mills 1.3 test run - 1s.jpgmills 1.3 test run - 3s.jpg

Thread: Solution found to the World's biggest problem . . .
12/11/2018 09:46:50

The world's biggest problem is overpopulation.

Between Trump, Putin and China they might alleviate this problem but the result may not please the survivors!

* Danny M *

11/11/2018 05:17:11
Posted by Ian S C on 10/11/2018 11:31:28:

With your collet, whether cut from square as you have, or from round as I do, after cutting through the side continue about half way through the other side, things get a bit more flexible, not so much heaving on the chuck key.

Ian S C

Thanks Ian. You way seems a bit easier than my 'Plan B' which was to drill the block for locating pins and split the thing in half. As it was a one-off job nothing lost and a lesson learned.

The reason for the square collet is simply that I had an off-cut that exceeded the diameter of the crank-web and was of perfect length for the job. With a 4 jaw chuck I thought 'well, why not?'

My biggest mistake was to break the crankshaft in the first place!

* Danny M *

10/11/2018 09:31:14

Today I repaired a Mills Mk1 1.3 model diesel engine that I picked up for $20 at the recent Aussie Nationals.

It ran quite well until I made a spinner nut with a tight thread that sheared off the cheesy crankshaft. It is threaded 3/16" Whitworth.

To make a new shaft is another day so decided to tap the broken shaft for a stud or screw and picked 4-40 as I have plenty of shcs in this size plus taps and dies. (3mm was the other option)

First problem, how to hold the shaft so made a collet from a scrap of aluminium alloy with a diagonal slit, it worked OK but required lots of tightening of the 4 jaw chuck - next time it will just be in 2 halves.

Once centered it was easy to drill and tap the shaft so decided to make a prop drive washer to fit over the pesky pins that were fashionable in 1947 but ruin a good propeller.

In the end it all worked out so test run in a few days when the neighbours are at work.

mills 1.3 and ed bee.jpg

square split collet.jpg

slitting the collet.jpg

mills 1.3 mk1 components.jpg

prop washer and shaft tapped 4-40 with hts screw.jpg

mills 1.3 with new prop driverand prop screw.jpg

* Danny M *

Thread: Cutting a keyway without a broach
09/11/2018 04:34:22
Posted by Michael Cox 1 on 08/11/2018 21:59:27:

Here is an easily made adjustable broach:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/small-hole-slotting-tool.html

I would suggest that you remove most of the material by drilling or milling first and then use the adjustable broach to clean up the slot.

|Mike

Brilliant Mike, I like the fact that it is adjustable. Maybe that's why I should visit your site more often

* Danny M *

Thread: Fireworks Ban
08/11/2018 06:51:52

When I was a kid in London in the '60s, Guy Fawkes night was awaited with anticipation.

We spent weeks building a bonfire on an old bombsite and fought hard for a premium spot to display our 'Guy's at a prominent spot near a bus stop or tube entrance.

One year we made a 'Guy' that looked like the Prime Minister. - enough money rolled in to finance a model aircraft and engine along with a great selection of fireworks. I still remember the ads " Light up the night with Standard Fireworks"

One sad memory though is of one of the local kids when somebody slipped a penny banger into his pocket which ignited the stash of fireworks already there - he was an ambulance case. Also that night a rocket was fired horizontally and it went through the window of Homerton (E9) Post Office and ignited the curtains.

Here in Australia, fireworks are banned in the states but not in the 'Territories' so that one may drive to Canberra ACT (Australian Capital Territory,where the pollies hang out) or the Northern Territory (Darwin) and purchase away. I find it strange that the politicians push to ban fireworks in every jurisdiction but their own!

* Danny M *

Thread: Win 10 updates (again)
05/11/2018 04:31:37
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 04/11/2018 11:44:45:

Just downloaded and installed the latest big W10 update on my dual boot laptop. It took a whole day to install after downloading at night. Five or six reboots required, each time it booted into by favourite OS rather than W10 so I had to reboot again. Finally W10 was updated and working but responded very slowly to the keyboard. Another reboot and everything seemed OK, at least until I fired up Fusion 360. It failed to start as the system time was wrong. It hadn't remembered my internet time server settings. Told it to use the European pool rather than the Windows time server, rebooted once more and all was well.

Why do MS make updates so difficult? When I update the Linux installation it takes minutes and works in the background with no reboots necessary.

Russell

Russell, you have my complete sympathies. This is exactly the scenario that I cannot afford to have occurring at the whim of Microsoft.

Believe me, if my flight control software worked on another platform (such an Linux) I would be onto it like a shot.

It would be nice if Microsoft just offered an 'Opt Out of Updates' option, even if it came with a waiver that they assumed no responsibility for lack of compatibility with future 'Offerings'. That is a price that I would be willing to take a chance on.

My old workshop P4 computer is still running Windows XP, it is not networked or ever connected to the Internet and it's sole task is to run Mach 3 which it does nicely (I have plenty of backups, spare drives and power supplies). Any updates or useful machining tips are transferred via a USB stick. As Mach 3 indicated, it is best run on a dedicated system.

Even older is my little old Australian Microbee Z-80 computer that I built (soldered together) back in 1983. It's sole purpose in life (apart from sentimental value) is to control and monitor battery charge/discharge cycles via an A/D converter and to integrate the resulting graphs hence giving me warning if a particular battery pack is losing capacity, Yep, it even has the old green screen (I have spares) and the only problems over the years have been the requirement to occasionally de-solder and clean/replace key-switches with tarnished contacts.

Even the old cassette system still works, although long ago I burned the vital programs into EPROMS (instantaneous boot). It sometimes talks to the XP machine via it's RS232 port

I suppose that I miss the days of of hand coding Assembler but it sure was fun and I had complete control of the machine and any mistakes were down entirely to me.

I might take some photos of the old girl in action and put them in my album if anybody is interested.

* Danny M *

31/10/2018 00:01:54

Thanks for all the advice people.

As I said, I purchased this HP laptop solely to run DJI software to manage, calibrate and modify my multirotor flying cameras. Also it is useful to link to my groundstation via Bluetooth so that my assistant and clients can sit in comfort and select the photographs/video that they require.

I did an online search and found many possible solutions, so I tried this one and it appears to have worked ok.

1. Press the Windows 10 logo key + R

2. Type services.msc and press 'Enter'

3. Scroll to 'Windows Update' and double-click it

4. in 'Startup Type' select the option 'Disabled'

5. Click 'Apply' and 'OK'

I was warned that eventually Windows 10 shall revert to the original settings, but I can check that regularly. At least now I have control of what updates to apply and when.

Here are a few photos from my Mavic Pro of Lake Hume and the 88 year old bridge. While everything is working well I don't want Microsoft messing things up.

* Danny M *

Bethanga bridge looking east from 90m.jpg

Bethanga bridge looking west from 120m.jpg

30/10/2018 08:48:03

Today I logged into this forum with a HP laptop that was purchased for and mainly used for flying a dji mavic drone on a commercial basis. It has worked well so far. The cheap datalink from the linked tablet is quite a useful way to get online for peanuts.

Then up popped a message "Windows updates are ready to be installed" click here etc.

So I don't want to update as nowhere is mentioned what will be 'updated' or why.

I am perfectly happy with the current setup. I update the security scanner on a regular basis but that's it!

If the 'update' screws my laptop, looses me a filming job will Microsoft compensate me - Lol - noway I suspect!

So how does one turn off this invasive crap and take back control?

* Danny M *

Thread: Cox Per Wee or Tee Dee
29/10/2018 22:51:04

The Motor Boys Plans Books have been released into the public domain here **LINK**

There you should be able to find something that is capable of being made in a home workshop.

* Danny M *

Thread: 5G Phones
25/10/2018 07:55:09

My local ISP has been giving me problems so I resorted to using my tablet for backup Internet communications. It is a Lenovo Tab3 8Plus that I purchased for use with my flying camera (drone) so that maps and flysafe data is readily available. As a result I installed a 12 month Sim. With a data only account this cost $125Au (about 50 squids).

As I don't fly the drone very often I thought about all the wasted paid for data so linked it to my laptop (USB tethering, but WiFi hotspot and Bluetooth link works also) and voila - reliable internet for a fraction of the cost of my greedy ISP.

Then I heard about this

Some towers here in Australia are already in place so bring on the phones.

This is going to be quite a communications revolution IMHO and a lot of traditional ISP's are going to be forced to reduce prices before they fade away.

Welcome to the future surprise

* Danny M *

Edited By Danny M2Z on 25/10/2018 07:56:11

Edited By Danny M2Z on 25/10/2018 07:59:09

Thread: Hay bales
18/10/2018 12:52:42

Because of the drought many interstate trucks are transporting hay bales (the round ones) thousands of kilometers here in Oz. Farmers are being advised to stick a crowbar or piece of rebar into the bales and feel for a temperature rise as spontaneous combustion is a real problem. **LINK**

Prince Harry brought a bit of welcome rain though with his visit , he's a popular lad here down under **LINK**

* Danny M *

Thread: Fruit pickle......
01/10/2018 08:15:09

I found that a mild citric acid solution works very well in my ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning fired/decapped brass centrefire cartridge cases destined for reloading. (Citric acid powder purchased at the local supermarket).

In 5 minutes I get a result as good as my vibrating tumbler achieves overnight (and no pesky walnut shells to poke out of the primer holes).

For aluminium I use this **LINK** (not in the ultrasonic) although I have heard that Coca Cola or rhubarb leaves simmered in a pot work ok.

Rhubarb leaves contain oxalic acid - that's why one does NOT eat them!

* Danny M *

Edited By Danny M2Z on 01/10/2018 08:15:42

Thread: Having trouble turning grooves
05/08/2018 14:07:19

Test honed edges by seeing if they will slice a sheet of copier paper. If you obtain a clean cut then they are sharp enough.

When turning fins on model aircraft engine cylinders a re-cycled piece of hacksaw blade makes a useful cutting tool.

Biggest PITA is making the tool holder.

* Danny M *

Thread: Website Spellchecker
30/07/2018 14:33:40
Posted by JasonB on 29/07/2018 14:05:34:

I don't use the spellchecker icon but my computer will underline anything that is wrong, seems it is happy to swing both ways.

ali.jpg

If you are fussy then the spell checker icon has the option to choose what you want top left eg American English, British English, canadian English etc

Edited By JasonB on 29/07/2018 14:08:15

That's exactly the the red squiggle that I get under my words Jason but I don't seem to be able to modify the SCAYT settings.

Windoze XP and Firefox set to Australian English on this ancient machine. It's the safest way to get online as my Windoze 10 laptop's and ipads appear to want to harvest too much personal info and it is a pita to turn off all the 'features' angry 2

* Danny M *

29/07/2018 12:52:16

When I type certain words to this forum they are 'highlighted' for incorrect spelling. Typical examples are ' aluminium' and 'sulphuric'.

It appears that an American spell checker is in use to check posts.

For the forums you might consider a Queen's English spell checker.

* Danny M *

29/07/2018 12:34:00

Today I discovered that a bit of broken steel crankshaft (1947 Mills 1.3 Mk1) can be successfully removed from an aluminium alloy (2024-T6) spinner nut blank by covering it with sulphuric acid (battery strength) in a plastic yogurt container and leaving it in the garden for about a month. The aluminium has a dull glaze but all of the ferrous parts have dissolved. A tap run down the threads cleaned them up with minimal cutting action.

A friend suggested that nitric acid could do the same job in a day but try obtaining that!

Might be worth trying for a broken drill or tap in an important aluminium part if you have a bit of patience.

* Danny M *

Thread: Political views within the forums
13/07/2018 08:49:28

I have no time for politics on this forum, they have their own place for fanboys.

This is the type of thing that I don't mind being distracted by as it is actually educational. Although not quite within most of our capabilities it is the result of great engineering and perseverance **LINK**

* Danny M *

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
méridienne Nov 18
Ausee.com.au
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Shapiro
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest