By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Danny M2Z

Here is a list of all the postings Danny M2Z has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
18/07/2019 08:51:29

Is there much difference between 21st century emojis and these earlier pictograms Ancient Egypt 5000 years ago or the rock art of the first inhabitants of this wonderful place where I happen to live Ancient aboriginal art which predates the ancient Egyptian emoji by maybe 50,000 years or more?

So maybe people are just getting back to their roots, as one thing about emoji that I have noticed is that the better one's are independent of one's native language so one can communicate across the planet.

* Danny M *

Thread: Recent threads
15/07/2019 10:06:30
Posted by Vic on 15/07/2019 09:12:36

I believe the electric car thread also had some unnecessary banter. The poster couldn’t even spell it properly, unless he’s Australian. laugh

Strewth, steady on there Vic, Aussies invented your WiFi cool

Indeed, I have noticed the recent posts that demonize everybody and anybody. They appear to originate from recent arrivals with a chip on their shoulder, so regulars relax - you are like family yes

* Baby Boomer * and proud of it!

Thread: Do you clean your workshop at the end of the day?
29/06/2019 10:07:10

Cleaning the machines depends on the nature of the swarf/oil residue and the next day's work schedule.

Brass and ali won't hurt the machine overnight, a brush soon clears the ways. With steel swarf and CI dust I tend to get rid of it asap and annoint the moving bits with a spray of INOX.

One big time saver is with tool use, I am probably a bit anal about this (military background) but each and every tool is returned to it's designated place immediately after use.

Next time that I require to use the tool it is exactly where I left it, can probably find half my tools blindfolded if required. Walking to find the 10mm open ended spanner for the mini-lathe chuck nuts exactly where it is supposed to be is probably useful exercise but much less frustrating than a search party.

Get organized people! It really does save time nerd

* Danny M *

Thread: What method do you use to find center height for your lathe bit?
29/06/2019 08:40:17

For final finishing I have found this tool quite handy, especially on 'difficult' materials. Shear tool

It is not picky regarding height as it is automatically on center due to the design. Indeed, I raise and lower mine with the QCTP to present a fresh edge for the final finishing cut.

Notice that I said "Finishing Cut" - only good for the last 0.001" or so but what a lovely finish.

If I had the time it would be interesting to experiment with the cutting angle for various materials. I have noticed that brass with a finely honed HSS edge can appear as a mist of tiny motes when the light is right.

sutton toolbit in hh grinding toolholder - s.jpg

tool in action - s.jpg

swarf like steel wool - s.jpg

* Danny M *

Thread: Cross Slide Lock
25/06/2019 09:26:23

A small plastic ball or a piece of 2mm strimmer line is adequate to lock a shaft for occasional use.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
11/06/2019 09:49:30

Today I made two more gauges successfully thankfully after a 'Baldrick Moment'.

He said inside my head, "Why not start with the big ones first, that way of you stuff one up you can make it into the next size down?"

Now why didn't I think of that?

I shall post a photo when all 7 gauges are completed. Apart from the 0.224" which suits rimfire and the various .22" centerfire calibres a decent set should contain 0.243" (6mm nominal), 25 calibre (0.257" 0.263" (6.5mm nominal), 0.277" (.270" nominal), 0.284" (7mm nominal) and 30 calibre (0.308" diameter) which covers about 99% of the competition shooters at our local range.

I also plan to make a nice case for the set with a few spare empty holes marked 0.311" and 0.338"

* Danny M *

Just terminated a grinning 'winky"

Edited By Danny M2Z on 11/06/2019 09:51:19

11/06/2019 00:49:58
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 10/06/2019 07:23:48:

Great result, Danny yes

But; from this side of the planet, that looks remarkably like a steel can

MichaelG.

Michael. I retrieved the container from the bin and tested it with a magnet, it is indeed steel. The white coating on the inside and the fragility/softness led me astray.

It did cause me to ponder why the mildly corrosive contents were packaged in a container that would be eaten away internally during prolonged storage.

I eventually found my can of Brasso which I should have used in the first place. It appears to be in good condition so today I can start on some more gauges to suit larger calibres.

* Danny M *

10/06/2019 06:14:38

Today I commenced to manufacture some scoring gauges for measuring holes in targets for a friend at the local club. The gauges are made with a collar of precisely the projectile diameter to assist with determining the final score for competitors.

The rules state that the gauge should be ± 0.001" but as my friend had donated 5 offcuts of 15mm x 1m and 2 of 25mm x 1m brass rod towards the M2Z workshop I decided to make them as accurately as possible with my C3 mini-lathe.

First was to decide the machining sequence so decided to offset the topslide by 10° and cut the taper. Next step was to machine the measuring collar accurately to size so with a freshly sharpened and honed HSS tool the rimfire gauge was turned to 0.2243" diameter.

Next step was to remove the 0.0003" by using wet&dry paper wrapped around a small file and remembering an old trick I planned to annoint the wet&dry with a few drops of metal polish.

So picked up the ancient bottle of 'Silvo', gave it one shake and the bottle disintegrated. The plastic failed right where the surface of the contents reached the sides. Most unusual.

Anyway, the first gauge was finished to size using a bit of kero on the wet&dry and now mikes at 0.2240" across the important bit (the collar) with a Moore & Wright micrometer.

* Danny M *

silvo bottle.jpg

rimfire scoring gauge.jpg

27/05/2019 06:26:24
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 26/05/2019 12:31:45:

Let's steer clear of getting political...

Neil

My sincere apologies for raising the subject Neil. It was intended to be a light hearted joke using a play on words.

* Danny M *

26/05/2019 10:25:55

Today I heard that (in the U.K.) the end of May is going to be a week later than it's usual date

(I was born in Mile End Hospital so qualified to comment)

* Danny M *

Thread: Childhood diseases
24/05/2019 02:00:14

Here in my part of Australia, failure to vaccinate/immunise children may lead to exclusion from schools and child care centres Vic, Australia

I was discussing the recent measles outbreak here (Vic) with my neighbour and she remarked that current vaccination of all children and staff were mandatory for attendees at the child care centre where she works.

Apparently, the ease of international travel nowadays is contributing to the problem. It is cheaper to take a holiday in Indonesia or Thailand than for me to travel to Western Australia.

* Danny M *

23/05/2019 12:26:54

Lately in Australia measles has re-surfaced as a deadly disease.

The Govt. 'Health Warning' did note that 'Baby Boomer's' were possibly immune as they possibly had it as a child.

As a child of the 50's I had measles, mumps and chickenpox. My parents used to send us kids to play with other children who were afflicted and we also played in the dirt to ingest a few more germs.

Admittedly Scarlet Fever knocked me about a bit, I was about 6 years old and still remember the USAF Sabre's that flew over my recuperation home at Shoeburyness, The black smoke and the roar are still imprinted in my memory.

So my question is about did our childhood diseases protect us and is this natural immunity being bred out of the current generation?

- Danny M *

Thread: Adhesive Storage?
18/05/2019 07:09:11
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 17/05/2019 16:17:24:

As a broad generalisation:

Most things that undergo a chemical reaction will do it more slowly at lower temperatures.

MichaelG.

Agreed Michael. I stored some aeromodelling competition rubber in my freezer from the best batch tested by reputable aeromodellers (TAN II May 1999) and after 20 years it has aged well and is still superior to the latest offerings from the same company who were required to change the formulation after a secret (magic) ingredient became unavailable at the turn of the millenium.

Rumours of the demise ranged from California H&S regs to competing golf ball technologies.

As I am a bit competitive, here is a linky to what the modern equivalent costs Aeromodelling Rubber

* Danny M *

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
15/05/2019 09:30:47

Today (well over the last few days) I have been making some model boxes to transport Free Flight model aircraft.

My selected material was 'Corflute'. A lightweight corrugated plastic material that is typically used for signs. Normally very difficult to bond without plastic welding.

I conducted some tests on various adhesives and discovered that some of the readily available modern adhesives actually work very well, even for bonding Corflute to Aluminium alloy.

I wrote up my results here Glueing Corflute Plastic in case anybody is interested as I obtained some useful results.

* Danny M *

Thread: What makes your bristle?
12/05/2019 05:06:15

While we are discussing teeth, these tiny brushes are great for cleaning model engine spraybars and removing swarf from small tapped holes (especially blind holes) Interdental Brushes

Does this qualify for MEW 'Readers' Tips' Neil?

* Danny M *

ps. Why does 'swarf' get underlined with a red squiggle, surely it's a common word on this forum?

Thread: Upside down reverse threading
11/05/2019 15:05:20

I have noticed that a few gunsmiths advocate this technique. They are cutting a barrel tenon away from a fixed shoulder and I must admit that it is new to me but it seems to make sense - here is a linky UDRT

Any thoughts on this as a general technique considering that most forum members to not thread barrels?

Thread: Oversize ER collets
07/05/2019 09:45:36
Posted by Howard Lewis on 06/05/2019 18:02:30:

If the Leadscrew can pass through the Headstock, why not turn a close fitting bush in the 3 Jaw, Mark the position of No 1 jaw, before removing, split and you have your own bespoke collet!

The bore will be concentric, and being an almost completer circumference, it should grip well.

Replace the bush in the 3 jaw with the mark aligned with No 1 jaw, insert Leadscrew, clamp, and machine away!

Howard

You beat me to it Howard. An aluminium bush bored and split in the 3 jaw would be an inexpensive but accurate way to hold the lead screw.

Thread: Moving to Australia - Moving Workshop Machines
18/04/2019 08:31:48

Les, also watch out for the drop bears, they love new immigrants Drop Bears. Get used to eating Vegemite, it seems to deter them.

When I lived in Brizzy, cane toads sometimes visited my workshop Cane Toads. Many people used to practice their golf swing on them but in today's PC world this is frowned upon even though they are a known environmental pest.

Hopper, what is the current technique to deal with them?

* Danny M *

Thread: Dialect expressions
18/04/2019 08:10:22
Posted by Howard Lewis on 17/04/2019 21:01:29:

Some people call an adjustable (spanner ) a shifter. Presumably because the one jaw would shift to allow a nut or bolt to, be shifted.

When I used to work on military radar systems my supervisor called them 'American screwdrivers' and woe betide anybody that he caught using one!

Also known as a 'Monkey Wrench' in some places

As an aside, we had weekly toolbox checks to ensure that all contents were complete and serviceable. Also all tools were required to be individually marked (colour coded) so that any tools found lying around could be traced to the owner ( I used a blue and white stripes). This was to ensure that if we were deployed in a hurry we could do our job. My supervisor had just returned from active service in Vietnam so knew his stuff.

One good thing that I learned was the use of a 'Shadow board' and this paid off when my children used to use my tools for bicycle repairs.

Sorry to stray a little of topic so now I betta hit the froggin.

* Danny M *

14/04/2019 15:41:11

The question on cars puzzled me, Sedan vs saloon, what century we talking about????

If it's got a roof it's a car. If it ain't got a roof it's a sports car. If it ain't got a boot but can carry a few jumbucks in the back with a few Kelpies then it;s a ute. Simples!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest