By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Danny M2Z

Here is a list of all the postings Danny M2Z has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: windoze 10
14/10/2019 08:30:08

Yesterday my laptop (Win 10 HE) informed me that my ISP data limit had been reached well before the planned date

Being a bit conservative with my downloads it has become apparent that background Windows updates have chewed away many many Gigabytes of my data allowance that I have paid for.

I have not consented to or given permission to Microsoft to use my account for their updates but it appears that the decision to mess with my computer and use my data allowance is no longer under my control, just at the whim of Microsoft.

What was most galling was that the 'update' actually removed the programs that I purchased the HP laptop for; tracking and controlling ROV;s.

* Danny M *

Thread: Aero Fuel
29/09/2019 05:11:44

Chas. Alcohol fuels contain less energy per litre than petroleum fuels so when maximum flight duration/range are involved petrol makes sense. Petrol Vs Alcohol Fuels

Alcohol fuels can liberate more energy in an engine with a suitable compression ratio though, hence why drag racers use alcohol and nitromethane as fuel ingredients.

* Danny *

Thread: Water in fuel
29/09/2019 00:07:49

Here is a linky to some more information Mercury marine engines and ethanol

I was tempted to search for the above as I remember seeing a new outboard motor with the annotation on the carton 'Warranty void if ethanol fuel used' . This was about 10 years ago.

* Danny M *

27/09/2019 07:45:47

To reply to the OP.

I am not a chemist but in my desire to remove water from methanol (model engine fuel ingredient) a bit of research led me to investigate zeolite molecular sieves as used by a local biofuel manufacturer to reclaim methanol.

A molecular sieve is basically a substance that has pores that admit molecules below a certain size. So in the case of zeolite the correct grade can admit the small H20 water molecules but the longer carbon chain alcohols are too large to enter the sieve.

A friend who is an industrial chemist confirmed this and also remarked that the zeolite may also be reclaimed for further use by drying in an oven to remove the water.

* Danny M *

Thread: Worried
26/09/2019 09:05:56

Many years ago I went to The Melbourne PC Show.

I went late during the last afternoon to secure the demo bargains (easier for the vendor to sell off the exhibits off cheaply and write them off as a tax break).

Fastened my beady eyes onto some 1Mb memory chips (remember them) and asked if there were any 160 nano-sec chips available.

Salesperson said sadly " No, I only have 120 nano-sec memory chips left so you can have them at 50% of the 160 nano-sec price"

I grabbed all that I could afford while trying to keep a straight face. Saved hundreds of $$$ nerd

* Danny M *

Thread: My digital calipersseems to give varying readings
13/08/2019 03:52:18

When using a caliper of either type, check zero with every use then lightly grip a piece of paper in the jaws and slide the paper out to clean the jaws.

It is surprising how tiny pieces of rubbish seem to find their way between the measuring faces.

* Danny M *

Thread: Is it a tool post?
04/08/2019 14:21:22

The tool is not inclined.

The original photo may not be very clear but the top surface of the triangular adjusting piece is parallel to the top inside surface of the toolholder,

By moving the sliding part the height of a clamped tool may be adjusted.

* Danny M *

Thread: Bits and Pieces in old magazines
02/08/2019 01:07:08

The ancient 'Popular Mechanics' magazines on this site rclibrary have some fascinating articles from well over 100 years ago. Very enjoyable reading.

* Danny M *

Thread: Upgrading to fibre optic broadband
31/07/2019 10:41:42

Decided to bypass fibre and wait for 5G to come to my local area.

A friend recently showed me a demo of a Samsung 5G phone that he was testing in Canberra,

He obtained 5Gb/sec easily although he did point out that the test was limited to this speed by the test service provider and like all connections, when the kids get home from school the increased usage puts more demand on the available bandwidth. Latency was almost non-existent btw.

Here is a linky to 5G in Australia 5G in Oz 5G should be rolling out in the UK so might be worth checking it out.

The current connection (what I am using to send this message) is a 'Data Only' 4G SIM installed in a tablet and connected to a laptop by "USB Tethering' and a cable. I prefer the laptop for it's larger keyboard and screen plus it's storage capacity, but the tablet is handy in it's own right if required. USB is more secure and faster than using the WiFi option.

The beauty is that it is a portable laptop internet system (within range of a mobile phone tower) and the SIM only cost me $150 Au (about £70) for 12 months of data. Depending upon the time of day it tops out at 4Mb/sec but usually half of that. More than enough to browse the forums and download the occasional video.

* Danny M *

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
18/07/2019 08:51:29

Is there much difference between 21st century emojis and these earlier pictograms Ancient Egypt 5000 years ago or the rock art of the first inhabitants of this wonderful place where I happen to live Ancient aboriginal art which predates the ancient Egyptian emoji by maybe 50,000 years or more?

So maybe people are just getting back to their roots, as one thing about emoji that I have noticed is that the better one's are independent of one's native language so one can communicate across the planet.

* Danny M *

Thread: Recent threads
15/07/2019 10:06:30
Posted by Vic on 15/07/2019 09:12:36

I believe the electric car thread also had some unnecessary banter. The poster couldn’t even spell it properly, unless he’s Australian. laugh

Strewth, steady on there Vic, Aussies invented your WiFi cool

Indeed, I have noticed the recent posts that demonize everybody and anybody. They appear to originate from recent arrivals with a chip on their shoulder, so regulars relax - you are like family yes

* Baby Boomer * and proud of it!

Thread: Do you clean your workshop at the end of the day?
29/06/2019 10:07:10

Cleaning the machines depends on the nature of the swarf/oil residue and the next day's work schedule.

Brass and ali won't hurt the machine overnight, a brush soon clears the ways. With steel swarf and CI dust I tend to get rid of it asap and annoint the moving bits with a spray of INOX.

One big time saver is with tool use, I am probably a bit anal about this (military background) but each and every tool is returned to it's designated place immediately after use.

Next time that I require to use the tool it is exactly where I left it, can probably find half my tools blindfolded if required. Walking to find the 10mm open ended spanner for the mini-lathe chuck nuts exactly where it is supposed to be is probably useful exercise but much less frustrating than a search party.

Get organized people! It really does save time nerd

* Danny M *

Thread: What method do you use to find center height for your lathe bit?
29/06/2019 08:40:17

For final finishing I have found this tool quite handy, especially on 'difficult' materials. Shear tool

It is not picky regarding height as it is automatically on center due to the design. Indeed, I raise and lower mine with the QCTP to present a fresh edge for the final finishing cut.

Notice that I said "Finishing Cut" - only good for the last 0.001" or so but what a lovely finish.

If I had the time it would be interesting to experiment with the cutting angle for various materials. I have noticed that brass with a finely honed HSS edge can appear as a mist of tiny motes when the light is right.

sutton toolbit in hh grinding toolholder - s.jpg

tool in action - s.jpg

swarf like steel wool - s.jpg

* Danny M *

Thread: Cross Slide Lock
25/06/2019 09:26:23

A small plastic ball or a piece of 2mm strimmer line is adequate to lock a shaft for occasional use.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
11/06/2019 09:49:30

Today I made two more gauges successfully thankfully after a 'Baldrick Moment'.

He said inside my head, "Why not start with the big ones first, that way of you stuff one up you can make it into the next size down?"

Now why didn't I think of that?

I shall post a photo when all 7 gauges are completed. Apart from the 0.224" which suits rimfire and the various .22" centerfire calibres a decent set should contain 0.243" (6mm nominal), 25 calibre (0.257" 0.263" (6.5mm nominal), 0.277" (.270" nominal), 0.284" (7mm nominal) and 30 calibre (0.308" diameter) which covers about 99% of the competition shooters at our local range.

I also plan to make a nice case for the set with a few spare empty holes marked 0.311" and 0.338"

* Danny M *

Just terminated a grinning 'winky"

Edited By Danny M2Z on 11/06/2019 09:51:19

11/06/2019 00:49:58
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 10/06/2019 07:23:48:

Great result, Danny yes

But; from this side of the planet, that looks remarkably like a steel can

MichaelG.

Michael. I retrieved the container from the bin and tested it with a magnet, it is indeed steel. The white coating on the inside and the fragility/softness led me astray.

It did cause me to ponder why the mildly corrosive contents were packaged in a container that would be eaten away internally during prolonged storage.

I eventually found my can of Brasso which I should have used in the first place. It appears to be in good condition so today I can start on some more gauges to suit larger calibres.

* Danny M *

10/06/2019 06:14:38

Today I commenced to manufacture some scoring gauges for measuring holes in targets for a friend at the local club. The gauges are made with a collar of precisely the projectile diameter to assist with determining the final score for competitors.

The rules state that the gauge should be ± 0.001" but as my friend had donated 5 offcuts of 15mm x 1m and 2 of 25mm x 1m brass rod towards the M2Z workshop I decided to make them as accurately as possible with my C3 mini-lathe.

First was to decide the machining sequence so decided to offset the topslide by 10° and cut the taper. Next step was to machine the measuring collar accurately to size so with a freshly sharpened and honed HSS tool the rimfire gauge was turned to 0.2243" diameter.

Next step was to remove the 0.0003" by using wet&dry paper wrapped around a small file and remembering an old trick I planned to annoint the wet&dry with a few drops of metal polish.

So picked up the ancient bottle of 'Silvo', gave it one shake and the bottle disintegrated. The plastic failed right where the surface of the contents reached the sides. Most unusual.

Anyway, the first gauge was finished to size using a bit of kero on the wet&dry and now mikes at 0.2240" across the important bit (the collar) with a Moore & Wright micrometer.

* Danny M *

silvo bottle.jpg

rimfire scoring gauge.jpg

27/05/2019 06:26:24
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 26/05/2019 12:31:45:

Let's steer clear of getting political...

Neil

My sincere apologies for raising the subject Neil. It was intended to be a light hearted joke using a play on words.

* Danny M *

26/05/2019 10:25:55

Today I heard that (in the U.K.) the end of May is going to be a week later than it's usual date

(I was born in Mile End Hospital so qualified to comment)

* Danny M *

Thread: Childhood diseases
24/05/2019 02:00:14

Here in my part of Australia, failure to vaccinate/immunise children may lead to exclusion from schools and child care centres Vic, Australia

I was discussing the recent measles outbreak here (Vic) with my neighbour and she remarked that current vaccination of all children and staff were mandatory for attendees at the child care centre where she works.

Apparently, the ease of international travel nowadays is contributing to the problem. It is cheaper to take a holiday in Indonesia or Thailand than for me to travel to Western Australia.

* Danny M *

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne; London MES
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest