By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Danny M2Z

Here is a list of all the postings Danny M2Z has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Censorship on this forum
19/02/2021 11:53:55

People, this is nothing to do with politics, it is to remark that facebook have blocked many Australians from vital services such as bushfire, floods and covid updates as well as protection services such as domestic violence websites, Facebook in Australia

Next it might be you. All because they were asked to pay for content that was plagiiarised from Australian websites.

I have no idea why my original post was blocked but common sense seems to have prevailed.

I thought that was what the Tearoom was all about, to comment on non model engineering matters that might affect us all and facebook prying into our private lives sure fits the bill for a bit of discussion.

* danny *

19/02/2021 10:51:39

So I just tried to create a new thread in the Tea Room about facebook blocking Australian subscribers and it was deleted by an unknown moderator.

Is censorship of fair dinkum topics now banned?'

Maybe this message will also never see the light of day so to the forum police I must bid you goodbye and well done to shut down free speech on this great forum.

* danny *

Thread: Winter Gloves ... any recommendations ?
19/02/2021 09:56:44

This is the road sign to take heed of when driving in the bush Kangaroos.

Yuppies in Melbourne do not understand why my feral ford has a roo-bar fitted, but they never traveled in this great and vast country.

19/02/2021 01:22:57
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 14/02/2021 14:18:47:

... I am wondering if there is anything electrically heated, that might run off a pair of [say] 4,000mAh USB ‘power banks’

All serious suggestions welcome ... and the silly ones will be tolerated.

MichaelG.

You could consider moving to Australia Michaell. After 14 days quarantine and a little jab the cold would be the least of your worries.

Lathe and mill parts are expensive but the locals are very friendly

* Danny *

Thread: How Many People Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb on the Forum?
18/02/2021 17:27:59

The main problem is PEBKAS (Problem exists between keyboard and seat). Made a few quid explaining this to pc users , )o

Edited By Danny M2Z on 18/02/2021 17:29:38

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
18/02/2021 16:30:44

In the immortal words of lance corporal Jones ' Don't Panic'

Thread: How Many People Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb on the Forum?
18/02/2021 07:22:53

I always thought that lightbulbs and other electronic components ran on smoke and if one let the smoke out they failed to work. This is based on experience.

Of course, on this forum the lightbulb followers would be up in arms if the forum software were changed and the lightbulb questions were not displayed with a light grey background with olive green post separators with ads that flicker like a failing lightbulb scampering down the right hand column.

Of course, the discussion might gravitate to why change the lightbulb in the first place?

Not required if one had purchased one of these Worlds longest burning light bulb It still has all the smoke intact.

17/02/2021 05:23:30

Oh dear, it appears that all PM's are lost in the change to the new software, so time to back them up now. Mail lost Given the photo album issues I just moved all my albums to more secure storage (my pc)

One bonus is that Adblock Plus get's rid of all the pesky ads between posts. Sponsors would be not amused .

If I wish to purchase something then I shall search for a vendor and not have ads forced on me, this is a definite turn off from pushy sales people.

The Barton site is ad free, it just relies on the members to top up the pot and it works surprisingly well Site Funds - Scroll down left column

* danny *

Thread: Could I try an IC engine?
14/02/2021 05:53:33
Posted by Paul Horth on 11/02/2021 16:37:24:

Hello,

I am not a complete beginner, I have built and operated a 2 inch scale traction engine. I have been vaguely thinking about trying a 4 stroke IC engine, however it seems that the precision needed is at a higher level than for a steam engine. In particular, I am wondering about making the camshaft. I have read some posts on this forum, including the post from David K and the replies to him back in 2019

Paul

Maybe start off with a 2 stroke model engine. A model diesel engine would give you a good feel for 'fit's''. It's not too hard to learn but takes patience.

The cams in a 4-stroke engine take a bit of a beating, as do the cam followers and the rockers so unless it's a display engine (demo runs only) then consider case hardening and grinding the relevant parts if you want it to last more than an hour.

* Danny*

13/02/2021 03:05:03

I just had another look at the RCM&E site and to be fair, the mods and developers do appear to be listening and responding quickly to user feedback.

The improvements in just a few days are quite noticeable.

So (for Neil & MTM) - Why not wait a while until the RCM&E site works through the foibles and hiccups of their software upgrade and learn from their experiences so that when MEW makes the change (it appears inevitable)) then it might make the transition a little smoother with a softer landing for the forum members?

* Danny *

Thread: Roller skate bearings.
13/02/2021 00:23:12

The late Gordon Burford once made a model engine that he named The Skateboard Special.

His comment at the time was that roller skate bearings were of decent quality and very cheap due to their abundance, so that solved the problem of some of the most expensive bought in components.

11/02/2021 13:54:28

Fair comments Neil.

So as a compromise, why not monitor the RCM&E site for a few months and note the number of postings to ascertain if this is/was a wise move,

I understand whom is pulling the strings so you are betwen the proverbial rock and a hard place.

Best of luck Neil.

* danny m *

Edited By Danny M2Z on 11/02/2021 13:54:59

11/02/2021 13:13:36
Posted by Ketan Swali on 11/02/2021 10:50:54:

It may be worth keeping an eye on the thread: Welcome to RCM&E's new forum! to understand how things could develop if MTM decides to take ME forum in the same direction.

Ketan at ARC

I just checked it out and it is horrible. Never going back there again!

Trying to emulate faecesbook it just lost a lot of subscribers, ad's popping up between posts is one turnoff, at least on this forum it's easy to drag the right side window to rermove the flickering distractions. Not found the need to do sit so far as the advertisers are fair dinkum and support the site.

I suspect that a lot of people would be mightily p**ssed off and go away if change for change's sake was pushed down people's throats just to satisfy a web developer whom is more used to flogging their wares to kids with mobile phones than us old farts whom are pretty happy with things as they currently are using our ancient lathes ans pc's.

Kids with mobile phones just don't log into sites sucjh as this and changing the format/interface is not going to attract them. Get real MTM, you just got sold a pup by a smooth talking sofware developer, good on them..

So this forum has it's idiosyncrasy's, we learn to live with them! Sideways photo's - blame your phone and learn how to use it properly.

To repeat the mantra for the N''h time " If it ain't broke then don't try to fix it "

Regards * danny *

Thread: Engineering / Modelling Books for Winter Evenings?
11/02/2021 12:31:37

The Model Aero Engine Encyclopǣdia, 1969 edition, R.G. Moulton.

Still a great read, full of useful advice ranging from selecting, running, tuning and building a model aircraft engine this is still a classic. (With lathe advice, leaning toward a Myford Super 7)

Thread: General Aeromodelling Discussion
07/02/2021 05:32:46

G'day Bill.

When all the Covid restrictions are over, come and fly at the West Wyalong comps.

Plenty of Free Flight activity, I had a ball at the 2018 and 2019 Nats and lots of like minded aeromodellers there.

They have even installed a grass circle for suitable Control Line events.

* Danny M *

Korda first flight 2 cs.jpg

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
01/02/2021 13:58:35
Posted by Brian G on 01/02/2021 09:55:22:
Posted by Danny M2Z on 01/02/2021 07:29:54:

I am considering a resin printer for smallish jobs (prototype fishing lures, model,aircraft pilots dummy engine parts and Lewis/.Spandau guns etc. so the ability to reproduce fine detail is important,

A question.,

Is it possible to halt a print halfway or maybe use pre positioned parts (jigged) such as a wire trace such that it is incorporated into the end result? (Fishing lures)

* danny

I wouldn't want to try embedding metal parts as the printing process for resin involves the build plate coming down to 0.05m from the FEP film on each exposure. Although it is possible to pause the print, the slightest misalignment could cause a tear in the film, or even a broken LCD screen. Perhaps crimp a ferrule to the trace and print the lure with a tapered hole through it to capture the ferrule?

A great result. Thanks.Brian G. Pilots and MG's quite practical.

So printing a hole to pass a wire through is possible?

As Neil asked, I am considering a 3D printer so now debating the possible use in my workshop and which type to puchase..Filament or resin.

* danny *

01/02/2021 07:29:54

I am considering a resin printer for smallish jobs (prototype fishing lures, model,aircraft pilots dummy engine parts and Lewis/.Spandau guns etc. so the ability to reproduce fine detail is important,

A question.,

Is it possible to halt a print halfway or maybe use pre positioned parts (jigged) such as a wire trace such that it is incorporated into the end result? (Fishing lures)

* danny *

Thread: General Aeromodelling Discussion
26/01/2021 06:50:12

Plenty of aeromodelling photos in my album under "Aeromodelling' (what else).

Current efforts are concentrated on float planes as live only 300m from a large lake. (Lake Hume)

I recently picked up an original Jetco Navigator kit and shall probably power that with a Taifun Hurrkan and also have all the materials ready for a Mighty Barnstormer (on floats) powered by a new Saito FA-100T which should get it off the water. Considering adding flaps.

* danny *

Jetco Navigator.jpg

Sporty Forty OS 45 FSR.jpg

Edited By Danny M2Z on 26/01/2021 06:51:31

Thread: That very light, brown rust / discolouration
26/01/2021 05:55:23

I have found that Inox MX3 is quite a useful lubricant and metal protector for workshop use. It is lanolin based. More info here Inox and Lanox engineering uses

* danny *

Thread: Air Compressor Warning
25/01/2021 11:59:01
Posted by not done it yet on 24/01/2021 14:08:45:

When you look at some tanks the drain is not actually at the very bottom.

ndiy. I asked the same question a few years ago and never got a satisfactory answer but then the manufacturers must have a resun for this layout, Slill windering why?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest