By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for BCPROF

Here is a list of all the postings BCPROF has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco GH600
01/02/2020 18:09:27

Warren , I have sent you a PM

01/02/2020 08:28:31

Congratulations on joining the GH600 club Warren

Thread: Has anyone watched this Girl
18/01/2020 08:59:37

Quinn produces a wide range of videos one engineering and electronics and makes some interesting statements .

"Machine tools are actively trying to murder you at all times !"

Thread: Stevensons original collet blocks & Arc Euro 6" grinder
18/12/2019 17:49:15

I called it guesstimation when the 6th form Physics students were doing calculations .

Thread: Plumbing question
09/12/2019 15:00:24

No. I it was true the water companies could fit reducers to water mains and run 1mm diameter pipes

Thread: Lathe lighting
06/12/2019 08:39:33

The GH600 lamp moves along with the saddle. I found that it was just too close to the chuck and got in the way.

I exended the bracket to move it further away. Little improvement ,it still got in the way. Put brain cell in gear and

moved it to the lower right hand side of the splashback. It is now out of the way but the flexible "neck" means that it

can be directed forward onto the chuck with no trouble

Thread: Those little screws for carbide inserts...
30/11/2019 20:02:47

old mart. I sympathise about the hands. I find the " flag" style of driver the easiest to use. The small button type magnets have a very strong magnetic field which , when they are attached to the driver, hold the screw firmly in place . I have find that the driver retains little residual magnetism when the magnet is removed hence any fine iron dust etc has no excuse for filling up the torx head. Having said that I still clean the driver and screw with a brass brush befr oe starting the job.

30/11/2019 09:08:32

I too change the insert over a small tray .The screws still try to escape by bouncing out of the tray to be consumed by the black hole AKA workshop floor. Solution, clip a small magnet to the torx driver before you start

Thread: ARC Catalogue No.11
28/11/2019 16:40:50

Had trouble logging on to the ARC site. New password did not work. Used the contact link. Within 1/2 and hour had a phone call to say that the catalogue will be posted and a new password would be sent by e mail .

Typical ARC service .

24/11/2019 09:13:54

Jed

Two levers on the apron The one pointing towards you that selects the fine feeds and the one parallel to the bed that operates the half nuts for thread cutting . The one pointing towards you has the two positions up or after sliding it sideways down .

With the 32 120 40 change wheels in place ( as it was when new ) the combination of A B C and 12345 giv.es you the selection on fine feeds B and 3 will give 0.0122 per rev. ( with half that for cross feed due to the gears in the apron .

Brian

Thread: Warco WM 250 problem?
15/11/2019 20:00:09

When I had my WM280V it was bolted down to the Warco stand which rested on a reasonably level concrete garage floor. The two tower units were heavy duty linked by the tray ,shelves and backing panel. One I had placed a thin shim under the right hand corner to stop the whole assembly rocking I had no trouble at all with vibration

Thread: Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'
12/11/2019 16:41:15

After the circuit board on my x3 mill failed I went for a VMC with bets and pullies ( KISS). I have a lump of alloy to make a riser block but have not yet got around to making it . I have been told that Warco and other suppliers can not keep riser blocks "on the shelf" because of the variation between batches of the machines . Hence it is a take the head of, do the measuring of that particular machine ,machine the spacer and then put it back together again exercise .

Brian

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
31/10/2019 16:02:57

Had to remove the chuck guard from my Warco GH600. I kept having an argument with the QC tool post when working close to the chuck . Just removed the two hex screws and left the operating rod etc in place so no need to mod the electrics .

Brian

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
20/10/2019 09:21:19

Andy

Doncaster Show dates for 2020 are given as 8th to 10th of May

Brian

19/10/2019 19:02:13

In the 8 months since my GH600 arrived I have found it to be accurate and easy to use ( although gear changing is rathe like driving an old lorry with a crash gear box.) The couple of silly issues were dealt with by return of post so full marks to the spares dept. I removed the chuck guard ( It kept arguing with the replacement q/c tool post ) and moved the light unit to low down on the splashback at the tailstock end .It is now out of he way but still provides adequate lighting .I do need to look into an alternative saddle lock system .

Brian

19/10/2019 18:41:05

To avoid conusion ,the BH 600 and the GH600 are totally different lathes. The GH 600 does not use leaf screws to lock anything .

As stated, the saddle is locked by means of the extra allen bolt on the right hand side of the saddle ( although mine needs excessive force to lock it up. ) My version certainly has no provision to lack the ross slide although it would be possible drill and tap it . .

Brian

Thread: Bandsaw blades
22/08/2019 11:16:44

When I purchased my Clark CBS355 bandsaw many moons a go I had trouble with breaking blades . It is a 3 wheel design . Tuffsaws made me up some blades from thinner material . Problem solved

Brian

21/08/2019 18:01:40

Google TUFFSAWS. They make blades to order .

11/08/2019 22:14:38

The arrow in Ian's picture refers to the hole in the Cross Slide not the two steady fastenings . Having had a good look at the set up this evening. Tthere is no provision for a cross slide lock.. It would need to be on the right hand side and exert pressure on the gibb strip. Easy enough to fit . although its would need to be only just proud of the surface if it was not to interfere with the allen key used to lock the carriage as is the case with the gibb adjusting screws on the WMV 280. The two T slots fixing the compound slide allow it to the positioned further to the rear allowing the cutting of tapers on the end of anything held in the chuck .

Brian

11/08/2019 20:08:23

Just done some measuring . The blind hole shown is JUST above the level of the top of the dovetail so even if it went through and was tapped it would not lock anything. It would however act as a drain for any cutting fluid going into the left hand T slot since it opens out into it before going deeper in .

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest