By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for BCPROF

Here is a list of all the postings BCPROF has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: QCTP for a WM250?
09/09/2020 21:12:41

Fitted a QCTP to my 280 last year. Should have been possible to remove the post and boss by removing a roll pin from underneath. , knocking it out and reducing the size. Since it had been fitted with the aid of a large hammer i had to take an alternative route.

Turned up a filing button that just fitted into the tool post base. Made one edge of a file " safe" with the aid of a griind ] stone and filed the boss down to size.!!!!! Since I was left with the existing stud, which was too short , I had to make an extension to fit down inside the tool post with a new handle on the top. A bit of a fiddle but it worked well.

Brian

Thread: Logging in to MyBT
04/09/2020 14:06:41

Like many others we were promised a migration from BT Yahoo mail to BT mail for years . Following our fiasco with BT ( see earlier post  we were told that BT had no control over the migration but that it would happen by Sept at the latest.

On sept 2nd we received the e mail . We only use a lap top for e mails so ignored it . We now receive e mails in the new format with no action on our part.

Brian

03/09/2020 09:49:42

We had trouble with BT last year. It started when I attempted to log in to My BT. No success. Tried to log into e mails (BT Yahhoo) log in failure. Changed password. Still no success . Repeated failures resulted in us being locked out.

1/2 hr on the phone "W are very busy at this time. One of our operatives will be with you as soon as possible " Finally got to speak to real person. Letter giving code to allow them to access our account would take up to 7 working days . No letter. Phone again . The system should have sent out the letter . Another would be sent . No letter. Same again. , another week Phone again Three letters arrived on the same day giving the code. 45mins on the phone. ,Real person.OK about 1/2 hr. Major problem with your account This needs to be solved by our level 2 team in India. They are on lock down. It will be sorted as soon as possible Nothing changed so back on the phone . Have you a code so that I can to access your account. Long pause. ." This is silly Whoever you spoke to last time has no more access than I do but is certainly does not need level 2 access. Lets sort it out. You seem to have had another e mail address set up to e mail you the code. That is not possible it has to come by mail . Don't hang up I will work on this. I will need to delete this e mail address and sort out the mess A few minutes later Here is your new password . You can now access My BT and change it but everything is now OK It only took 6 weeks !! Its amazing how many e mails you get in 6 weeks !!!

Conclusion/If you get hold of some one , in our case an Irish lady , who knows what they are doing all will be fine. If Not ..............

Brian

Thread: Warco Minor mill/drill
28/07/2020 12:18:27

Hi Andrew

A clone of the minor was my first milling machine . The manual was interesting " Please not to be installing the complex machine in a sunshine place " was the first instruction !. They are good , solid and heavy machines . Yes ,as others have said in the past about round column, mills they are a pain if you have to adjust the head but any mill is better than no mill so go for it

Brian

Thread: fitting wedge type qctp to Warco WM240
21/07/2020 12:28:32

On both the 280 and gh600 I found that the stud and boss was held in place by a roll pin accessed from.

the underside and hence not part of the casting .

Brian

Thread: cateracts.
12/07/2020 09:05:17

She Who Must Be Obeyed had both eyes treated with no trouble at all. Back to excellent vision. She says that all she saw while the operations were taking place was lots of pretty lights ! Good Luck

Brian

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
04/07/2020 20:08:46

Does the lack of a requirement of practical skills by management and the appreciation of what is needed to complete a task go some way in explaining why so many of out civil engineering projects are way over budget and fail to be completed on time ?

Thread: GH600 feeds have died.(Not)
19/06/2020 22:07:59

A quick test to identify whether it is a drive to the lead screw or a drive from the lead screw to the saddle. fault.

With no drive to the lead screw selected ( easy with power off !) engage the half nut . If you can not now move the saddle using the hand wheel then the lead screw / saddle drive is working as it should. ,Leave the half nut engaged and turn on the power with a lead screw drive selected Is a shear pin had failed then the saddle will not move .

Brian

Thread: DYMO labels [safe removal] ... what method ?
19/06/2020 16:44:25

I have used label remover spray from CPC but as Old Mart says check on somewhere that does not show first.

Thread: Warco GH600
16/06/2020 11:27:36

Had my GH600 for a little over a year now. A few silly faults , easily corrected . No oil leaks

Brian

Thread: A very nice 2.5cc control line speed engine
13/06/2020 19:44:39

The design and engineering of the F2A engines just has to be seen to be believed . The cost and short life time at peak performance was staggering in the 1990's . Things have moved on since then . Has anyone heard anything of Ian Mander of f2A supplies? I lost contact with him when he sold the model shop in Wellington NZ.

13/06/2020 13:01:47

I have flown a variety of control - line and free flight models for over 60yrs. Initially because it was all I could afford and latterly simply because it is still fun. I am not interested in "buy it and fly it" although I did have fun with a Keil Kraft RC Outlaw with a 2.5ccc diesel engine ( The "experts" opinion was that you could not fly radio with a diesel) I still enjoy converting big bits of balsa wood to smaller pieces , then back to bigger pieces and usually back to small pieces. Making single bladed carbon fibre props for F2A was fun but then so was making catapult launched Deltas with no danger from the resins. .Like most of us a hobby provides challenges and fun. at whatever level.

Thread: Drill sharpening?
11/06/2020 12:01:06

Just looked up the price of a Drill Doctor 750 !!! They are good but not that good . Go with a cheaper alternative unless you break /blunt a heck of a lot of drills a day

Brian

11/06/2020 11:53:55

Tried various versions . Had some success with them all but finally settled on Drill Doctor. Not cheap but only a couple of failures that were sorted by butting them back in and re setting the drill in the holder . I know that I should be able to sharpen them by hand but the Drill Doctor makes it so easy and quickly sorted out my badly sharpened / damaged Morse taper drill purchases from junk markets . up to 3/4"

Brian

Thread: Homemade cutting fluid
09/06/2020 12:45:53

I use WD40 or Paraffin for aluminium and mineral oil for anything else other than brass of cast iron. I am still using some "straight SAE 50" oil from a stock when I used to make up model aircraft fuel . Can you imagen what would happen if a 12yr. old went into a chemist now and asked for " 8 fluid ounces of the Ether and 3/5 of a

fluid ounce of Amyl Nitrate please "

Thread: A Year in the life of a Warco GH600
07/05/2020 15:59:16

Well my GH600 has been with me a year. ( This one did not fall over in the van 30 miles away from me )

Initial impressions were good. It all worked. Even with a geared head it was quite quiet. Not so good were the horrible handles but making replacements was a good introduction to the joys of easy speed changing and power cross feed. Shame that the cross feed failed because half of the thrust bearing was a plane washer resulting in too much play and a failed gear..

Replacement parts came by return , problem solved with the addition of a 2BA grub screw to limit the movement of the lever .

Fitting a QCTP was easy trying to fix the carriage lock was not. Mine had been assembled with no gap so heaving on the key made no difference. .I made a Myford style clamp .

Conclusions. Basically a good machine. Chucks are good although I soon scrapped the capscrew fastenings and replaced then with studs and nuts

I have had no reason to adjust anything although while investigating the cross feed problem I did realise that a cap head and washer had been fitted to the end of the screw. This would have provided a hard stop for the cross slide with the weak point being the roll pin holding the gear in place .Without it the cross slide nut simply runs of the end of the thread The oil change was messy but revealed no nasties in the oil

A little more care on assembly would have avoided the silly problems but would I have been prepared to pay the additional cost ? No.

Thread: New member with new (to me) Myford ML7
15/04/2020 17:48:39

"Using the Small Lathe" by L.C. Mason is worth a read .

Brian

Thread: Todays news -- well done
05/04/2020 18:05:28

As usual we have the "it does not apply to me " minority

Many Supermarkets have adopted single person shopping , not couples.ven the smaller ones have one way systems and floor markers to aid spacing s Sitting on the beach with is not exercise . A prompt exit from the beach would have made the 10 minute? conversation unnecessary.

Brian

Thread: New design of mains plug?
02/04/2020 13:36:25

In the deep and distant past one of the topics on a year 9 syllabus was how to fit a mains plug .

The Homework as , with the help of an adult , to check the wiring and fuse size in some plugs at home ( an easy on for those who simply claimed that no one would help them !)

Fast forward to a parents evening . Large parent leans across my table and announces one too quietly " You cost me 2 quid. " then sits down laughing . His daughter had bet him 10p for each faulty plug that she could find . " Didn't know that we had that many plugs in the house but is was a cheap safety check " he said as he left ,

Thread: Warco GH600
01/02/2020 18:09:27

Warren , I have sent you a PM

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest