By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Kendall

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Kendall has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Code of Conduct
11/05/2022 09:20:28

I had a friend who came from Scunthorpe.
When I met him somewhere else, he said he came from Shorpe.
He explained there wasn't one in Scunthorpe because he was not there!

Sometimes it is better to use a word which people recognise and understand.
There's the term making love - something which is very loosely defined, as Clinton used to his advantage. If he had used the four letter word, everyone would have understand exactly what he meant. After all - it appears several times a night on the box.

Surely programmers are clever enough to make something which does not just search for a string of letters, but then checks the context. OK, you're never going to find them all, but it could eliminate most of the Scunthorpe effect.

I'm making up some pipes today - just going to search for some nipples.

Edited By Anthony Kendall on 11/05/2022 09:23:23

Thread: A tyro desoldering question.
09/05/2022 09:01:28
Posted by Peter Greene 🇨🇦 on 08/05/2022 20:07:39:

Snip...

I would cut through the switch casing with a small hacksaw and remove the whole switch (or its innards) without unsoldering.
(If there are pcb pads for the switch on the opposite side of the board with vias, then you would need to retain - or recreate - the via connections if unsoldering. Another reason to leave it in place and wire another switch).

Agree. Use the remains to solder the wires onto for the exterior switch.

Thread: Emergency Radio Format
04/05/2022 11:25:11
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/05/2022 16:33:22:

Britain's nuclear submarine commanders are allowed to launch their Trident missiles in the event they can't hear BBC Radio 4 on 198kHz. Low frequency radio not only has long distance ground wave, it penetrates underwater too. A submarine can detect BBC Radio 4 almost anywhere in the North Atlantic without surfacing and revealing it's position.

Unfortunately, the BBC has many enemies working hard to kill the institution. Be ironic if lefty comedians were stopped from pointing out political blunders and sleaze due to a "don't bother me with mere details" enthusiast not understanding what the Archers is really for!

devil

Most of what you say is true about LF being received underwater.

Regret to distort a good story with facts but, communication with submarines is nothing to do with Droitwich Radio 4.

If there was no R4 LF, we would lose only the shipping forecast, Morning Service and cricket. All are available from other sources.

Thread: MIG welding - beginners question.
01/05/2022 09:50:45

Although there is no doubt a bottomless wealth of knowledge here, MIG welding has its own forum Here

Thread: Ambiguous words
22/04/2022 10:11:02

Literally.

Was a word with one meaning, but now has to be included in all speech for no reason, to emphasise the importance, along with "like" many times.

Thread: Domestic Chemistry
14/04/2022 08:44:28
Posted by duncan webster on 13/04/2022 18:33:46:

No, but I have 2 approaches to cleaning ovens

1. don't bother, the food doesn't actually touch it
  2. buy a pyrolytic oven, the it cleans itself.

I haven't got enough years eft to waste them cleaning ovens!

Well said Duncan - with you all the way. There are other similar things e.g. cutting lawns, cleaning cars, the possibilities are endless!

Thread: Imperial v Metric Measures
10/04/2022 10:34:56
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 08/04/2022 23:30:09:

The cm is not a "Preferred Unit" - as engineers we all know it should be metres and millimetres except in a few specific applications. Why? 'Cos the ISO says so. Though I don't condone it - mathematical neatness does not always make for day-to-day practicality.

I have another reason for not using cm, but cannot explain why.
I find/found when I used cm I made more errors than when using just mm and m. Just like that for me.

We seem always to arrive at a midway no-mans land - only half changed over. No matter how hard we all try to go totally metric - it seems to be impossible and we have to convert between systems.

They said go centigrade (now called Celsius), and I did, and got used to it and it became natural. Then F still appears and I have to convert.

Thread: Why is electricity so expensive?
07/04/2022 18:13:46

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 07/04/2022 15:08:20:

Snip....

Now it turns out they've dodged part of the bill and are being subsidised by the rest of us! Might write to my MP suggesting any customer returned to British Gas by a failed supplier should pay the full cost of their failure to choose a sound supplier in the first place. I don't see why existing customers should bail out anyone who chose to take a risk on sexy gas prices.

What next? A scheme for refunding people who lose money betting on horses?

Failed companies of this type aren't worth much because they're bankrupt and don't have many assets. They're administrative entities with a small staff and a computerised billing system, likely operating with leased equipment from from a leased office. Retailers don't extract gas, or store it, or own any pipes. They manage buying and selling gas, but it's paperwork rather than a solid business. (More likely computers rather than paper!) Dave

I have been transferred to BG, my supplier having gone bust.

I find your bigotted statements interesting, and look forward to an explanation as to how you are subsidising me.

Edited By Anthony Kendall on 07/04/2022 18:14:47

Thread: "Kiv" or Kiev?
04/04/2022 09:53:53

We all know we should pronounce H properly in a word e.g. "a horse" not "an oss" when we speak.

How many are pronouncing the letter H, a letter, properly As "aitch" and not pronouncing it incorrectly as "haitch"

04/04/2022 09:32:10
Posted by Anthony Knights on 31/03/2022 17:50:26:

Rik. you forgot Happisburg (Haisborough) and Whymondham (Windham).

Since you are all being pedantic - could I possibly point out you're only thinking of the Wymondham in Norfolk.

I think the one in Leicestershire is pronounced properly (wyemundum)

Yes, the Angela Rippemoff version of guerillas was indeed stupidity.

Thread: LED bulbs
26/03/2022 10:31:18
Posted by Dennis Rayner on 23/03/2022 16:36:21:

I'm getting fed up with taking it on the chin and binning them with a C'est la vie approach.

Don't know what that means but binning them and getting on with life works for me.

I value what's left of my life highly and do not squander it on fighting to get my money back after 2 years.

Thread: Poppet valve regulator (LBSC Britannia)
23/03/2022 08:45:46

I cannot speak for the smaller brother, I have experience only of the 5inch, but have just changed my regulator from the complicated poppet valve version to a gas valve - the improvement is marked.

I think it is best to choose a better-quality stainless gas valve (just a few sheckels more) and adjust the linkage to suit, but I have found it very much worthwhile.

Thread: For those who live in the country
20/03/2022 09:28:21
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 19/03/2022 11:33:27 Snip....Of course one has to pay market prices in the end. I just find it ridiculous that gas and electricity should be treated differently to heating oil. Andrew.

I think I sympathise with your argument Andrew.

I think you should not think you are achieving anything towards getting what you want by clicking on a web petition.
I think that is a waste of time and the only way to make any progress is to persistently eyeball people.

Any other way just gets thrown aside like a used contraceptive.

Edited By Anthony Kendall on 20/03/2022 09:28:52

19/03/2022 10:40:42

I recommend people not to sign the petition.

I think all petitions are a waste of time - they just make it appear something is being done when actually it isn't and causes a diversion. I think they are even more a waste of time than enquiries.

The only thing which does work, in my experience, is to physically eyeball people. They don't like it.

If you were on the receiving end, which would you rather do - read a petition, or face a number of people making their point logically and firmly and wanting commitment to results NOW?

Thread: Pound - US dollar
19/03/2022 08:48:07

I liked the half crown - and the time when it bought 5 big ice creams or 10 smaller ones, or 10 bags of chips or 6 Mars bars (not that more than 1 was ever bought at a time - to be eaten chopped in at least 6 portions and shared out with the hope of getting an end bit with more chocolate). Two of them would buy 2 gallons of petrol.

Because it was so valuable I never had many half crowns.

So much more presence than a two bob bit or florin.

Thread: Hermes and couriers
17/03/2022 09:33:43
Posted by HOWARDT on 16/03/2022 18:33:35:

I think the majority of us have no problems with delivery of items in most of the UK.

Quite so!

Thread: Anyone come across a 15/32 AF spanner?
13/03/2022 10:39:45
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 13/03/2022 10:14:03:

If a sloppy-fitting spanner risks rounding the ‘corners’ of the hexagon … try flank drive

MichaelG.

Agree - I use a metrinch set for most things.

Thread: Internet access alternatives
12/03/2022 08:49:05

I have full fibre with BT and find the service excellent.

Have been with them for 20 years and have no complaints.

Thread: T pylons
10/03/2022 09:08:47
Posted by Hopper on 09/03/2022 10:15:53:
Posted by Samsaranda on 09/03/2022 10:13:35:

Can’t imagine why anyone would need to paint the old style pylons as they are galvanised, ever tried to get paint to adhere to galvanise, it won’t. Dave W

Rub it down with vinegar first to etch the surface. But heck of a lot of vinegar per pylon I reckon.

All broadcast transmitter masts and towers were painted (may still be) using materials from a company called Craig & Rose. Some of the smaller ones, just 175ft, were similar to pylons and also treated in this way. I spent about 40 years in broadcast transmission - I just wish we had been able to recruit Dave W - we could have saved a great deal of money in materials, effort, supervision and outage time! laugh

Edited By Anthony Kendall on 10/03/2022 09:11:04

Thread: Diminishing chocolate bar
04/03/2022 14:02:16
Posted by Gary Wooding on 04/03/2022 13:52:32:

Once upon a time a Mars bar was big enough to cut into slices and share, but now...

Ah!! memories. And sometimes you got one of the ends - had more chocolate.

Think Marianne Faithful and Mick Jagger inspired fun-size ones.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest