By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for richard allen 6

Here is a list of all the postings richard allen 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vintage motorbike
08/10/2014 07:40:11
Posted by ronan walsh on 08/10/2014 00:42:58:

Its amazing , but the british bike industry made a good few models of v-twin's in large capacities before the second world war, but only vincent made one after (maybe jap engines too ?). Bsa made a 1,000cc v-twin and it was marketed as a workhorse used to drag massive tradesmens sidecars about. The parallel twin was a developmental dead end compared to the better balanced v-twins. Have we forgotten the Hesketh?

Thread: CovMac Lathes
10/09/2014 10:54:55

Unusual as it has an American apron ....I wonder if it was built under licence?

Thread: Way grinding firms in Scotland or North east
06/04/2014 10:27:16

I'd be very careful about giving your slideway grinding to any Tom Dick and Harry. Castings have to be carefully aligned and clamped down without distorting them otherwise you will "regrind in" a fault. I have used Skinner Engineering and have known the owner for many years, he served his time in the machine tool industry many years ago.....experience like that is very hard to find these days.

Thread: Machining Titanium
19/04/2013 09:24:10

Cobalt drills cut like butter on Titanium......HSS taps can be used, but carefully....

Thread: Patents
10/04/2013 10:20:31

Got to agree with your comments as I am going through patent applications myself at the moment. One application that does bug me is the European Patent.....if granted, you then have apply in all Euro members countries.....I had the USA patent granted......that covers the whole of the USA. As stated patents are extremely expensive to obtain.......think twice before you go into anything like this ........

10/04/2013 04:14:53
Posted by MICHAEL WILLIAMS on 07/04/2013 11:55:38:

There is'nt such a thing as an international patent, you have to apply in each individual country....Hi Gordon ,

Yes it costs a fortune to challenge granting or use of a patent but its usually only big international companies like Google and Apple that take things so far . Most patent disputes in UK are resolved by negotiation .

The majority of big UK engineering companies work in a surprisingly ethical way and at least discuss usage of patents with original patent holder .

Situation with non UK engineering companies is very different and many of these routinely ignore UK patents knowing that there is usually nothing the patent holder can do about it without incurring vast expense and waiting years for any result from legal action .

Having a full international patent gives a bit better protection but even these are routinely ignored in some countries .

Regards ,

Michael Williams .

On a point of interest :

More than 90% of all patents granted to home inventors prove in the end to be completely worthless .

08/04/2013 10:56:54
Posted by MICHAEL WILLIAMS on 07/04/2013 11:55:38:

Hi Gordon ,

Yes it costs a fortune to challenge granting or use of a patent but its usually only big international companies like Google and Apple that take things so far . Most patent disputes in UK are resolved by negotiation .

The majority of big UK engineering companies work in a surprisingly ethical way and at least discuss usage of patents with original patent holder .

Situation with non UK engineering companies is very different and many of these routinely ignore UK patents knowing that there is usually nothing the patent holder can do about it without incurring vast expense and waiting years for any result from legal action .

Having a full international patent gives a bit better protection but even these are routinely ignored in some countries .

Regards ,

Michael Williams .

On a point of interest :

More than 90% of all patents granted to home inventors prove in the end to be completely worthless .

There is'nt such a thing as an "International patent" ..you have to apply in each individual country

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest