By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Rutzen

Here is a list of all the postings John Rutzen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: VAT changes post Brexit
04/01/2021 20:33:42

I bought a cheap item from China today, it said 'VAT collected' on the checkout. Wondered what it meant, now I know. There was no increase in the price, it seemed to be part of it.

Thread: Camlock spindle
02/01/2021 08:01:27

The grub screws just hold the cams in place. You tighten the cams by rotating them clockwise with the key, they don't need locking.

Thread: RR Merlin Scale Models
23/12/2020 08:40:56

A question I've often wondered about myself - where do these things go? Probably into the store in a museum somewhere , never to see the light of day again. The wonderful treasures there must be in museum stores. It ought to be mandatory that museums have to display everything that is given to them. People should stipulate that it any gifts. I went to the British Museum a few years ago hoping to see the wonderful collection of Japanese swords and carved ivory balls they have which I remembered from 40 years ago. Nothing! I asked about them and was told they would be in store.

Thread: solid edge 2D
05/12/2020 20:00:52

Thanks very much Ian and Clive. It looks like I should get the community edition, I didn't know you could get the 2D from it, it's not something they say on their site. I think I only need 2D for what I do but who knows? I've watched a couple of tutorials of the 2D and it looked easier than the Turbocad I used a few years ago. I was confused about the Microsoft Office business because under 'system requirements' on their site it says you need either Office 2016 or Office 365. However when I searched the question about Office 2007 one search result said it would work.

05/12/2020 15:02:25

Thanks for replies. Would I be better to go for 2D or just Community Edition?

05/12/2020 12:47:38

Hi, i've now got a windows 10 Professional 64 bit laptop with 17 inch screen so I am thinking of getting Solid Edge 2D or Community edition. However my laptop has Office 2007 on it presumably because it's free. My question is - will it run or do I have to subscribe to the latest Office version?

Edited By John Rutzen on 05/12/2020 12:48:31

Thread: Glasses
02/12/2020 08:37:55

I'm very short sighted so they wouldn't work for me anyway. I use varifocals but don't find them easy in the workshop. A binocular head magnifier works quite well but I'm avoiding going to the opticians because of the Covid so I got two pairs of reading prescription glasses online from Glassed Direct for about 20 quid and use those in the workshop. You give them your latest prescription and tell them what you want them for and they produce them to suit. So I got a pair for close reading and pair that focus at 2 feet. I find them very useful.

Thread: Thread cutting problem
01/12/2020 08:29:23

I don't usually bother with a tailstock die holder, just bring the tailstock chuck up against the back of the die stock and apply slight pressure as you turn it by hand.

Thread: The Old One - Broken Tap Removal?
01/12/2020 08:25:40

The alum does work but it takes a long time and needs to be quite warm to speed up the reaction. I broke a 3 ba tap in a mild steel workpiece the other day and managed to break most of it out. I got the rest out with my dremel and a small diamond bit. The best bit to use was about 3mm diameter and square ended. It wasn't anything special , just one of the cheap ones that come in sets of bits.

01/12/2020 08:25:05

The alum does work but it takes a long time and needs to be quite warm to speed up the reaction. I broke a 3 ba tap in a mild steel workpiece the other day and managed to break most of it out. I got the rest out with my dremel and a small diamond bit. The best bit to use was about 3mm diameter and square ended. It wasn't anything special , just one of the cheap ones that come in sets of bits.

Thread: Which adhesive to use
30/11/2020 09:51:52

I'm not familiar with the myford clutch but the cone clutch i made for my Harrison is just steel to steel with a bit of grease on it. It doesn't slip and has worked fine for 20 years. Try it with no leather or lining.

Thread: Arduino Gear Hobber
28/11/2020 12:15:00

Dave S, surely though you can only roll it so much. Then you would have to step it round to the next tooth.

28/11/2020 08:05:41

Hi Dave S, so am I right in thinking that the only thing that detemines the number of teeth is the diameter of the blank? I 've seen and read about those rack form gear cutters before but didn't appreciate that you could roll the blank to generate the gear.

Thread: Rumely Oil Pull engine
25/11/2020 19:42:47

Hi Howard, yes the original cams were internal. What I have decided on is as you suggest, a lever follower under the cam with a bell crank action to pull the valve rod.

25/11/2020 12:12:19

I have a query regarding the fitting of the ball bearings on my crankshaft. I was going to fit the outers in the housings using loctite bearing retainer but i want to ensure that the inners don't creep on the crankshaft. Or am I being a bit pernickety? I would have liked them a bit tighter than the fit I achieved but perfection is rarely attained in model engineering so I wondered if there is anything I could put on the shaft that would prevent rotation but still allow me to dismantle it easily. The ball bearings are doubled each side and are 17x 35x10.

Thread: Electric vehicles
22/11/2020 10:02:13

I don't know where the figures came from but I was quoting from a radio programme about increased car mileage per year, Unfortunately I can't remember what the prog was or when! Perhaps it was in the States. The batteries for electric cars do cause a lot of pollution due to the mining for the materials. Perhaps the programme was averaging the mileage over the population in which case the increased car ownership would account for it.

Edited By John Rutzen on 22/11/2020 10:04:18

22/11/2020 08:19:31

Electric cars aren't the answer, driving a lot less is. Apparently 50 years ago the average mileage was 5000 per year , now it is 25000. Think of all that time wasted sitting in a car. At least most of us haven't done much driving this year.

Thread: Windows 10 latest offering
19/11/2020 22:04:53

I've been reading that an out of date but fast mac like this one makes a very good linux computer , the advantage of linux over mac os or windows being of course that these companies can't freeze you out of using your computer. I would have to get something else to do my every day stuff like email, eBay etc but the mac could be a good base for trying out some of the linux CAD programmes. Thanks for the input.

Edited By John Rutzen on 19/11/2020 22:05:48

19/11/2020 19:37:48

Hi Dias, Frances, Peter, Bazyle, thanks for response. I watched a video about it and it looked quite interesting it was just that it said nothing about printing. I've since looked it up and it seems you can write it commands and then download a driver. Not that straightforward but this thread seemed to be about Windows not working very well so maybe Linux would be a better alternative. I'm in the position that I need to get a new laptop of some sort because my 2009 macbook is no longer supported so I've been weighing the alternatives. To get a "real" linux laptop is very expensive and seems to be no longer an advantage just to get a free operating system. I don't really want to go to Windows but it seems that if you want to try CAD the free good programmes are on Windows although Fusion does a Mac version as well. The Linux CAD is all free but rather awkward to use.

19/11/2020 08:18:39

I went and had a look at the Raspberry Pi 400 and it's certainly interesting. If there was a cheap plug in screen it would do most things. The main snag is wires trailing around. It's a real computer anyway with plenty of connections. Does anyone know if you can hook a printer up to it?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest