By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Rutzen

Here is a list of all the postings John Rutzen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 31/2 gauge Lion assembly problem
16/10/2019 10:07:48

Hi, Has anyone built a 31/2 gauge Lion and tried to assemble the cylinders and front wheels? You can't get the wheels in after the cylinders are fixed and you can't get the screws in after the wheels are in place. LBSC doesn't help, He just says fix the cylinders after the wheels are in which is impossible. I can only get at 3 of the six cylinder screws. Help!

Thread: Heat insulation
14/10/2019 17:46:23

Hi, I've always used ceramic fibre which is available in a roll from pottery suppliers, Around £2 per sq ft. and 1 inch thick. works really well. I held it in place with iron wire.

Thread: cutter slippage using ER series collets
05/10/2019 20:29:25

Hi I bought the ball race nut, the spanner and an imperial set of collets from Arc Euro, all for £50 including the post. I got them the next day and am very pleased with them. It's much easier to tighten and loosen the nut now. So I hope that solves the problem.

30/09/2019 12:32:42

Thanks for the help. I did not know you could get ball bearing nuts so i am going to order one from Arc Euro trade.

28/09/2019 13:21:25

I use a spanner I made because the supplied one was a mickey mouse affair. It's pretty robust but i do tighten it in the machine which is R8. The chuck is proper R8 shank one. I let go of most of my threaded shank cutters when i sold my old mill because it was too heavy to shift. Probably a mistake.

28/09/2019 08:46:39

HI, thanks for all the replies. I'm sure that it wasn't tightened enough. The spanner I have just isn't up to it. I've never heard of a ball bearing nut. I think the cutter was actually 20mm and the shank 16 mm so it was a good fit in the collet, sorry I just called it 3/4 because it was in a drawer labelled 3/4 cutters. I had sharpened it myself on my Quorn cutter grinder. I will have to make a longer and stronger spanner, the one supplied is useless.

27/09/2019 22:00:31

HI , I was doing some milling today using a 3/4 inch end mill in my ER25 collet chuck and the the cutter advanced itself into the work, spoiling the job. It's happened before and I wondered if anyone had the same trouble and had found a solution. It never happened with the Clarkson Autolock chucks because the screw thread on the cutter prevented it. Nowadays I'm stuck with the collet chuck and plain shank cutters.

Thread: loctite used on crankshaft
23/09/2019 08:31:47

Hi, I've successfully made my crankshaft using the methods suggested. I used a smear of copper grease on the eccentrics in case any loctite got in the wrong place. I did not have any problems with it. It runs perfectly true. I set the crankshaft between the 3 jaw chuck and the tailstock chuck for the final joint..I did the webs first, putting a bar through the other two holes, then one end of the centre portion.,put the eccentrics on [ drill the grubscrew holes first! I drilled the pin holes 3/32 through the webs before I put the thing together. Drilling such a long hole can end up with a broken drill. I finally loctited the pins in. I find the 3 1/2 drawings frustrating, Some of the dimensions aren't right and things don't fit. It's the first 3/1/2 gauge I've made and it's harder to make than a 5 inch gauge for sure. I'm presently trying to make the slide bars.

Thread: Working leaf springs
10/09/2019 17:05:21

Thanks for the replies. I've made one with junior hacksaw blades this afternoon and it looks good! I ground the teeth off which didn't affect the temper and put it through the rolls to give it a curve. I applied as much pressure as I could and that got rid of most of the remnants of the wavy edge. I drilled it by taking some of the temper out in a flame. The hacksaw blades are only about 0.4mm which is better for these small springs.

10/09/2019 14:00:59

Thank you for the replies. I've thought of mini hacksaw blades and have one with the teeth ground off. I don't think it's possible to still get 1/4 wide tapes. i've got some 3/8th wide spring steel I got from Reeves years ago. It's pretty springy so I think it will be tough to mill down.

09/09/2019 22:17:45

Thank you. I searched eBay for spring steel but couldn't fine any the right size. i'll look for clock springs.

09/09/2019 22:06:45

Hi, I am trying to make working leaf springs for my 31/2 gauge Lion. The leaves are 3/16 wide. I can't buy any spring steel strip that size so I have been trying different ideas, I would like to know if anyone has a successful method for making these this small. I have used old bandsaw blade on a 5 inch model successfully but the difficulty is cutting it to width. I just ground a bit off the standard 1/2 blade before but I can't do this here. I have some o.5mm nickel silver and am trying that but I don't know if it will be successful long term. Anyway any ideas or sources of supply of 3/16 wide material please.

Thread: loctite used on crankshaft
01/09/2019 20:17:26

Thanks for the help. I'll be doing the job this week so I'll post as to how I got on.

01/09/2019 19:26:45

Thanks, yes the loctite is 638 which is very thick also so it won't run everywhere. I'll put grease on the shaft and inside the eccentric and only put loctite in the hole in the web so none will get pushed into the gap or do you think I can safely put it on the shaft as well?

01/09/2019 17:56:39

Hi, I am making the crankshaft for my 31/2 gauge Lion. The central portion is fully taken up by the 4 eccentrics. I am using Loctite and pins to hold it together. What I am wondering is how to ensure that the stuff doesn't get into the eccentrics and stick them to the shaft ? Do you think grease would be effective?

Thread: Home Made "Inserts" -Feelin' Groovy.
29/08/2019 08:31:18

Hi , I've made a super thin parting tool which I use for brass, bronze and small diameter steel. It's just a broken HSS hacksaw blade silver soldered into a bit of square steel [ I saw cut a slot in it]. The tool bit protrudes about 1/2 inch. I've been using it for a couple of years with no trouble. It saves a lot of material when parting off brass which is so expensive these days. I ground the teeth off the blade of course. I didn't bother putting any side clearance on it but it still works fine.

Thread: How hot does the motor on your mill/lathe run?
26/08/2019 08:51:46

I have an Amadeal mill which I am very pleased with. The brushless DC motor never even runs warm never mind hot. Even with prolonged use it's still cold. There must be something wrong with yours. My 3 phase motor on my lathe which is converted using capacitors to run on single phase never runs hot either. Warm at the most.

Thread: wheel castings wanted
26/08/2019 08:44:50

Hi, I'm looking for a pair of 31/2 gauge bogie wheel castings, Must be 10 spoke and to turn up to 2.75 or 3 inch diameter. I've thought of cutting them out of steel but.I will give the forum a try first. Thanks.

Thread: Guess the Chemical?
27/07/2019 17:07:15

Common Salt?

Thread: What method do you use to find center height for your lathe bit?
29/06/2019 18:20:53

That shearing tool works on the same principle as a skew chisel in woodturning. Hard to use woodturning to avoid a dig in but that wouldn't happen here. I'll have to make one because I find it difficult to get a good finish. Thanks for the post.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
cowbells
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest