By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Rutzen

Here is a list of all the postings John Rutzen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gear cutting company
30/10/2020 08:27:29

I bought a 60 tooth 1module worm and wheel from China for about £27. The wheel is brass about 13 mm thick and the worm is 18 mm die steel with plenty of meat left on it to machine to your sizes. I'm using it on my conversion of a spin indexer to a arduino dividing head device. You could machine out the wheel and loctite it to your centre.

Edited By John Rutzen on 30/10/2020 08:28:09

Thread: Changes to Fusion 360 Terms
25/10/2020 08:38:32

Hi, I have been looking at Creo sketch. This looks like the kind of thing I am after. Has anyone used it for doing model engineering drawings? It looks like you can sketch with the mouse or a pen if the screen is touch sensitive.

24/10/2020 21:40:09

Thank you for your kind replies everyone. I appreciate the helpful posts. I don't know what i will decide on yet.

24/10/2020 16:19:24

That' link is helpful Clive and Bazyle. Will Solidedge run on my mac? OSX 10.11.6

24/10/2020 16:15:05

Hi Roderick, Ian, David and Clive. Thank you for those inputs. I don't know, as you say if you are not comfortable with something you won't use it. Maybe I should stick with the drawing board which I am comfortable with. It's the rubbing out I don't like. I have already got a 24 inch monitor as it happens, perhaps I could just get a windows box to go with it cheaply enough. It's the space it all takes up that is the problem.

24/10/2020 10:57:32

Thanks Emgee, I hadn't read your post. I was looking at the HP from Currys. Would that run Fusion ok?

24/10/2020 10:54:50

Thank you Clive. I was thinking a second laptop would make learning so much easier. So what £300 laptop is definitely going to run Fusion 360? I've found that the issue with my mac isn't the speed it's that Fusion doesn't support my operating system which is OSX 10.11.6 and Apple won't let me upgrade it anymore. My son who is into these things says it's the motherboard. I hadn't looked at Solidedge except to find out it wasn't free.

24/10/2020 10:17:41

Thank you, I've been looking at the speeds and the cheap ones are slower than this mac. It is 2.66GHz dual core with 8Gb ram and a 240Gb SSD. To get better than that I will have to spend over £800. And this won't run Fusion 360. Or does it run a lot better on windows?

24/10/2020 09:57:09

Hi Emgee, Thank you for the reply. Yes I would be prepared to buy a £3-400 laptop but which one? I would want the biggest screen possible.

24/10/2020 08:56:32

Hi, I was toying with the idea of trying out CAD only. I just want to try drawing, not cnc but may want to do 3D printing. I tried to download Fusion 360 but found my Macbook won't run it. I'm afraid I've got a very old but much modified Macbook - mid 2009. I was looking at the price of one that will run it and it's about £900 for a 2015 Macbook. Which of these programmes will run on an old Macbook? I used Turbocad about 10 yrs ago for a while but it was available on a CD for about £20 and it was on Windows. I found it ok but took longer than drawing on paper so I stopped using it.

Thread: Rumely Oil Pull engine
18/10/2020 07:32:36

Hi Jason, here is the link to the only video I've found of it running that shows the inside of the crankcase and the camshaft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBQMRQ7RLs

Hope you can find that, for some reason it won't come up as a link.

17/10/2020 21:30:54

Thanks everybody. I've used that 638 and you really have to be quick about putting it together. Maybe you have a minute, no more. I will get some 648 for this. One of the odd things about the Rumely engine is that it has pull rods rather than push rods so there must be some means of holding the rod against the cam. I am still trying to work it out.

17/10/2020 15:14:34

Thanks Henry, I was sure I had seen iron liners in alloy blocks somewhere. Of course I know it is used full size all the time. Is yours a wet liner, meaning the water is in direct contact with it.  

Edited By John Rutzen on 17/10/2020 15:15:49

17/10/2020 10:46:33

Hi, I'm working on the design for an engine for a Rumely tractor that I want to build. There are no drawings but I have got the major dimensions from an owner in America. I am working out the engine from photos, catalogues, videos and anything else I can get hold of. It is a single cylinder 30cc. What I want to ask is can i fit a C.I. liner in an aluminium block? Also I am thinking of posting the drawing before I make anything for constructive criticism please. I don't do CAD so I'm not sure how I can do this. Maybe just take a photo of it, i'll see how it works out.

Thread: Cleaning metal for painting
04/10/2020 08:34:21

I agree with Graham , surface activation is essential, especially if it's brass. A sand blast works very well too. Again that's all in the video. I have found that Screwfix No-nonsense zinc primer is very good if you bake it in the oven at 140 C for about 20 minutes for a base coat.

Thread: joining metals
29/09/2020 18:30:21

Hi, it silver solders very well. Use Tenacity or similar flux.

Thread: Cheap Milling Vice Question
27/09/2020 13:19:41

I have on of these I bought from a reputable source and I have to say it is no better or worse than any other tool I've had from China. It certainly wasn't inspected or stripped down before I got it. The key between the fixed jaw and the base had been hammered in, there were still the hammer marks and it was bent. There were burrs on the jaw under surface. and the jaw faces don't line up perfectly. Having said this it is ok and usable and I continue to buy cheap chinese tools. I'm not prepared to pay over the odds for old battered machine vices on Fleabay.

Thread: Recycling Fire extinguisher pressure gauges
27/09/2020 13:13:47

I made one, it was necessary to replace the diaphragm that is in there with a lighter gauge one because the range was too high for model loco use. However I ended up buying one for the loco because I didn't know what the boiler inspectors would say. There is nothing in the boiler code however that says you can't make your own pressure gauge.

Thread: Using a quorn to grind single point involute cutters
23/09/2020 08:08:54

Thanks John and Michael, yes it's always seemed a long way around to make the tool using buttons when i've got a cutter grinder. Also hardening tool steel is a bit hit and miss though I've done it plenty of times. Thanks for the sketch John, I can see how that could work. But if you could get the tool set up you would think you ought to be able to grind the form by rotating the Quorn head around a grinding wheel?

22/09/2020 15:22:11

Hi Bazyle, yes I was trying to use the corner of the wheel to grind the curve. You can set the radius easily enough with a setting micrometer but as soon as you move the cutting head to adjust the infeed or offset you alter the radius. I can't work out how to do it without altering the radius so I think dressing the wheel edge to the button radius would fix that aspect of the problem. It's a bit wasteful of expensive wheels though.

Edited By John Rutzen on 22/09/2020 15:22:43

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest