By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco dimensions
30/04/2013 17:58:32

Can anyone help please with the approx. dimensions - width and front to back of the base casting (the bit that comes into contact with the bench) of the Warco WM14 mill and the WM16 mill?

Also, I'd like the dimension between the centre of the saddle travel handle/wheel and the base of the lathe casting on a Warco WM250 lathe. If you are able to help I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks all

Rik

Thread: Hobby related novel
29/04/2013 13:51:24

Thanks Jason - about as relevant as "The Thread" by Victoria Hislop - lol. ---- Rik

Thread: Engine Turning or "Jewelling
29/04/2013 10:41:00

My two 'pennorth - when ever I've done this I always use a piece a of wood doweling with a squared of end dipped in valve grinding past. Held in the drill chuck it is a simple process that makes a nice piece of tooling look a bit more special I think I have heard of this process being called "engine turning". Am I right or wrong? ---- Rik

Thread: Hobby related novel
28/04/2013 17:16:27

Thanks Gray for the tip about the Hooker story - I think I may have already read that at some time but I'll search another copy out and give it a whirl.

Rod, I also found Slide Rule a good read. I seem to remember that back then calculations used in the design stage of aircraft were performed by lots of ladies - known as "calculators" seated in rows of desks.

I never did get a calculator for Christmas and now at my age I don't think I'd know what to do with one.

sad

26/04/2013 17:35:58

I first read Nevil Shute Norway's novel "Trustee from the Toolroom" many, many years ago. I have re-read it several times since and always enjoy the "revisit". It was written in a time when Great Britain still produced steel Meccano, Swindon produced great locos and gay meant something completely different!

Do YOU know of any other novels that are relevant to our hobby?

Rik

Thread: Bigger workshop
26/04/2013 16:29:10

Bazyle - Bought a dehumid (Argos own brand) four weeks ago. Ran it in the workshop for 24 hrs as advised. Result? It collected zero water. Ran it for another 24 hrs outside whilst raining but under cover. Result? It collected zero water. Ran it back to Argos. Result? Full refund!

I take your advice on board re: dehumid being better than greenhouse heater and I intend keeping my eye out for one at my more reliable retailer - our local Sunday car boot sale!!!!

Rik

PS ---- Stretch the roof again? ----- made ME laugh!! face 20

26/04/2013 14:09:06

I should have pointed out before that the unstretched version of the summer house was home to a now sold mini lathe. It also (and still does) house a lifetimes collection of tooling and other machine tools. All of this is housed in and on custom built shelves and cupboards anchored firmly to the building. This means that insulation is only an option if I gut the innards and start again. Life is to short for that and I will soldier on in uninsulated mode. I do however appreciate the advice and agree that if I was just starting model engineering I would insulate without a doubt.

In the six years that I have been using this particular "building" as a workshop WD40 has become my best friend for keeping the rust at bay. To improve things more and as an experiment I am installing a greenhouse type electric tube heater shortly that I will leave on at night when the weather turns cold. Not sure whether a 180W will be enough or to use one with a higher wattage.

Rik

26/04/2013 08:42:52

My workshop has been an 8ft x 6ft summer house which meant that my new lathe choice was restricted to - in the WARCO range - a WM 240. Due to available space in the garden a newer, larger workshop allowing for a larger lathe was not an option. Well there is always more than one way to skin a cat as they say so I have let a "chippy" relation loose with a big hammer and some wood and over two days he has crafted me a stretch job on the summer house. I now have an extra 14 inches - plenty of space now for the larger WM 250.

Before.................

before.jpg

..............and after.

after.jpg

All I have to do now is decide on either the belt drive version or the variable speed with powered cross slide version. Any advice much appreciated.

Rik

Thread: Create new thread?
25/04/2013 17:25:08

I have just spent the last two hours trying to compose a new thread without success. All I want to do is insert two photographs at different positions within the text. Problem is, when using "insert picture from photo album" it insists on placing the pic at the END of my text instead of putting it where I want it to go at the blinking (sic) cursor. Its driving me nuts! I have been using IT stuff for many years but this is as bad as Windows 3 (and that was VERY bad). The other thing as you can see is that I have no idea how to start a new paragraph other than copying and pasting from a word processor. If this website had a neck my hands would be round it now. GGrrrrrrrrr.----------Rik

Thread: Lathe rack
25/04/2013 15:30:08

Gray and Norman - thanks for the Myford info, just the job. -- Rik

Thread: Auction
25/04/2013 09:21:31

I have always liked auctions so I was particularly interested when I heard that a local auction house was selling off the contents of a model engineers / clock makers workshop. I successfully bid for a quantity of metal which will last me (and then some) till I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Three of these 14" x 11" baskets contain steel, silver steel, gauge plate, aluminium, duralumin, stainless and other as yet unidentified metals. The fourth is full of engineering plastics - PTFE rod, Delrin, Nylatron etc. etc.

4baskets.jpg

The wood box contains approx. 60 kilos of brass and copper "lumps". To give you an idea of scale, the long rod on top of the box is solid brass 1.625" dia. x 14" long. In addition, brass, copper and stainless sheet / plate weighing around 20 kilos was included in the lot.

brass.jpg

The second lot I bought was a slightly rusted 12" x 12" cast iron surface plate massively ribbed and just about liftable into my boot. It has cleaned up nicely and will replace my piece of toughened glass sheet.

Maybe a widow has been left behind? - If so I hope my measly contribution of £128 will help her out (minus auctioneers commission of 12.5% which she will have to pay).

All of this kit for auction had been collected / purchased by a chap just like me or you who is no longer with us so I intend to treat his gear with respect and if I do make the odd "scrapper" then I'll take comfort that while he is turning in his grave it might make the poor old boy feel he's back in his workshop!

Rik

Thread: Lathe rack
25/04/2013 08:43:39

Gray

Pic as requested. Holes are (rule measurement) 7/32" dia. They are counterbored 5/16" dia. x 1/8" deep.

Rik

rack.jpg

24/04/2013 18:07:01

A box of stuff I acquired recently contains a small lathe carriage traverse rack. It's 19" long, 1/4" thick, 9/16" wide and the teeth are on a 5/32" pitch. The six countersunk fixing holes are spaced 3.5" apart.

It looks unused with just a few bits of surface rust. It is of no use to me so maybe it might do someone a favour if I stick it on Ebay.

Anyone have any idea what model of lathe it fits?

Rik

Thread: Milling machine back gear!!!
17/04/2013 18:47:40

Thanks for that Jason ------ Rik

17/04/2013 17:13:21

I know what "back gear" means when applied to a lathe but what does the back gear control knob on say, a Warco WM14 milling machine do?

Rik

Thread: Skilled Model Engineer Services wanted
17/04/2013 08:57:21

Hello again Bob.

Seems like you may be drawing a blank on here at the mo. so why not have a look at these two?

**LINK**

**LINK** Rik

16/04/2013 19:11:25

Hello Bob

I wish you well in your search for someone who can help - I am afraid that I am not your man. What I think will make it difficult for you is this:-

Up until the 70's / 80's there was still a reasonably thriving engineering industry in this country. A small percentage of skilled craftsmen used their skills to further their hobby of model engineering. Back then someone like you would have had a far better chance of finding a bod to do your job.

Back to the present. With maybe a few exceptions, the only blokes that could engineer a job like this would be time served toolmakers. (I don't believe they make 'em these days do they?)

If you loosely accept the aforementioned then it follows that you would most likely be looking at a retired toolmaker or instrument maker or similar.

Such a man who is retired and pursuing what is often an expensive hobby is unlikely to need to work for a crust. I am a retired toolmaker and at 66 my hobby is a way of relaxation, keeping oneself occupied and keeping the old grey matter from atrophying. I expect that chaps around here of my age - or older - might well feel the same way.

Nevertheless, never say die and good luck in your search.

Rik

P.S. If you are successful and find your man (or woman) and can spare the time, please come back here and prove me wrong.

Thread: Lathe selection
15/04/2013 18:11:14

I am having my shed "stretched" to accommodate a new lathe. Subject to an eyeballs on view at the forthcoming Harrogate show I was contemplating a Warco WM240 but with the shed suitably modified I will be able to comfortably accommodate the larger WM250V-F. I would like a little advice as I need to get the shed right before the machinery is delivered.

So number one, if you have one of these bench lathes or something very similar, what would you say is the ideal height of the bench for comfortable working at one of these lathes given that I am six foot tall?

And number two, I have read that the control boards on these imported variable speed lathes are unreliable. I am also reading that at the lower speeds the motors overheat and this can also fry the 'lectrics. Maybe I have been reading old reports? .......I am not sure. But my concern is: what appears to be a demand for the newer belt drive versions of these types of lathe may reflect consumer reluctance in purchasing potentially troublesome machinery that is electronically speed controlled.

Rik

Thread: Boxford lathe prices/opinions
12/04/2013 18:46:09

Hello Jason

Lets assume that this item IS a bit grubby but will scrub up OK. Also assume that you have had a good look and all seems OK.

Now compare the price of your Boxford - £900 - with a new Warco 9x16 WM 240 at £1,085 which I am contemplating buying (I could never get your Boxford in my shed).

Space constraints aside I know which machine I'd go for, it would be the cheaper and far superior quality Boxford - sorry WARCO.

Rik

Thread: ME & MEW archives
12/04/2013 17:25:03

Thanks Jason - it's 'orrid getting old! - Rik

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest