By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hardening a form tool made from Gauge Plate
14/06/2019 17:57:32

My experience with gauge plate ended in the '80's. Most of the gauge plate I had used up till then was top quality of the more expensive variety and would harden very easily - usually quenched in oil. My last job before I retired myself from "dirty hand" jobs was in a tool and die shop in the automotive industry and cost savings were the order of the day.

This was the first time I had ever come across cruddy so called gauge plate. The only bloke I knew who could harden it worked in the heat treatment department and all I can remember is that it involved overnight treatment in an oven.

Rich - just hope you have not been passed of with a piece of "cruddy"

Rik

Thread: Material storage fpr Lathe/other machines
13/06/2019 10:45:31

My stuff gets squeezed into any hole I can find for it and there aren't many of THOSE holes remaining. I'd need a lot of timber for drawers that would hold 4 x 2 metre lengths of 100mm x 60mm MS bars and that would be just the start. Sadly I have had to lose a lot of timber to make room for the barstock so as envious as I am of Roberts elegant solution, pretty storage is a luxury I have no room for.

I hope my wife never looks under the bed in the spare bedroom or finds my secret stash under the floor void of our summer house - I can't stand pain! vamp

Rik

Thread: Lubrication for open geared Metal Lathes
13/06/2019 10:06:55

Doubled up!

Edited By Rik Shaw on 13/06/2019 10:07:42

13/06/2019 10:06:55

The type I use a black tarry like yuk which is quite the filthiest stuff I use in the workshop - but it works! Just wear gloves if you are anywhere at that end of the lathe - the stuff gets everywhere . In comparison on the filth scale, sweat and cast iron are pure luxury.

Look for "GEARLUBE" made by Forward Chemicals Ltd.

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 13/06/2019 10:08:25

Thread: A Very Nice Freebie
10/06/2019 16:17:10

Good result there Ron I've gone a bit green! I have an imperial set possibly even older by Matrix (Coventry) in a maroon bakelite case. Nothing wrong with imperial - I was weaned on it. I would not be without mine and use them constantly.

Rik

Thread: Need to drill a hole digital caliper
07/06/2019 17:06:50

Make a d-bit from stelllite. High speed, no coolant and lots of welly.

Rik

Thread: Oh bugger, I told you I was ill
06/06/2019 18:08:46

Mick - Had major spinal surgery in '86 and know how traumatic the experience can be. Hope they have done a "proper job" on you and wish you a speedy recovery.

Rik

Thread: Quicksilver
04/06/2019 10:59:34

In the 50's our science master often poured some out on a surface so we could roll it around with our fingers and get a "feel" for it. It does not seem to have affected my health.

On the other hand, this was the same master who blew up the science lab with me and other boys in situ. Now that DID hurt. Lots of ambulances, smoke, blood, burns, and a stay in hospital.

Still, I expect that the school thought that this sort of thing along with bloody boxing bouts on a wednesday and British Bulldog in the playground hardened us up ready for WW3.

Just in case there was any doubt, being involved in one of the regular bleeding nosed punch ups in the "play" ground would result in both combatants being "slippered" . That meant two hefty and painful thwacks on ones rear end administered by a particularly sadistic gym master wielding an old PE plimsoll.

Here, years on, it occurs to me that I witnessed far more danger and violence at that school than in in my entire service in the army.

Rik

Thread: Bunging up a blowhole
01/06/2019 15:20:03

I have just finished machining a gunmetal casting for my engine and right on the final cut a 1/16" dia blowhole has been revealed. I am not keen to heat it so silver solder as a filler is not an option.

Any ideas? Bronze coloured JB weld would be ideal if it was available.

Rik

Thread: It's not engineering but
01/06/2019 12:25:08

Mrs.Cox - my wife says your chair is "gorgeous" - I agree with her.

Rik

Thread: Just for the Record
31/05/2019 18:42:13

Machined up a couple of cast iron piston rod glands for my latest engine today only to find when finished that the front end was running out with the back end. I needed to just flash two surfaces on each gland at one end to bring them back into true but the job was made easier with a new acquisition.

A little while ago I bid and won at a local auction a lovely example of a Japanese made RECORD ML-210 lathe with accessories. This very well made and almost unused (by the look of it) lathe had since lived in a cupboard in the workshop waiting for its first job. Today it made its debut.

ml-210.jpg

The two castings needed to be held by a 1/16” wide ledge which was far too small for the 6” chuck on the big lathe to manage but ideal for the small and extremely accurate 3 jaw on the RECORD.

register.jpg

I skimmed the offending run outs on both castings and checked how well the “midget” had performed – spot on as it turned out.

Just to say thank you to my little blue friend I am going to make it a tiny auto feed gearbox but not before I have completed the two cylinder sets on the Tangye (I really do try to avoid being sidetracked but ---- well you know what its like.) thinking

Rik

Thread: ALDI 3D Balco printer
29/05/2019 18:39:10

I ended up buying one of these some months ago. I'd like to tell everyone how good it was but sadly the poor thing was dead on arrival - would not even power up. I had a full refund after taking the matter up with a very good technical support team who diagnosed a faulty PSU.

Rik crying

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
25/05/2019 19:06:20

Repaired the cast iron axle on the village white lining machine. Together with new plastic goal posts the chillun will now be able to play footy with white lines on their pitch instead of having to use bollards and jumpers for goal posts.

Rik smile

Thread: Watching for long enough.......
24/05/2019 17:07:39

Welcome Pete - always good to see younger people taking up the king of hobbies, enjoy!

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 24/05/2019 17:08:33

Thread: Oh Dear, I've blown the chop saw...
23/05/2019 16:59:11

Our Bosch cordless hedge clippers let us down today. I charged the Ni-cad yesterday and aimed it at our box bush this morning. The charge was so weak the blade jammed as soon as it started cutting. I seem to remember reading that Ni-cads do not like being stored in a flat condition. This had not been used in over a year.

So no need to make up an excuse for retiring to workshop then angel

Rik

Thread: What do YOU call it?
22/05/2019 16:20:42

I am a great believer in making/planning something in my head well before the real fettling starts so I like to call it "pondering". My most fruitful "pondering" is not in the workshop though but in bed between waking up and rising. It never used to be that way but at my age I am content with a little cogitation.

Rik

Thread: Casting brass
21/05/2019 16:52:42

Tried it years ago. Unless you are going to make a regular thing of it I would say its not worth your while. By the time you have made your mold boxes and patterns, acquired your special casting sand, purchased a suitable crucible and tongs, sorted out the gas kit for the melt etc. etc. you'll get the idea.

Mind you, it seems these days that some folk use a 3D printer for the pattern and adopt a sort of lost wax process - you'd still have a melt to do though!

Rik (trying to be helpful)

Thread: An old Shaper found in Phuket Town
21/05/2019 15:33:27

Hate the damn things. Last one I had to use I was machining the "V" guideways down the sides of half a dozen thread rolling blocks each weighing about two tons. Nightmare!!

There is a Morrisons now where it all happened laugh

Rik

Thread: Help a beautiful lady
20/05/2019 09:48:58

In the 'fifties my grandfather had a cobblers in Bedford and used to make shoes for anyone who asked and they were not expensive. Within half a mile of his shop I can think of at least two more cobblers who also made shoes. But times have changed and most of the old snobs are rested at last. Not to worry though, as so often these days Google can assist:

**LINK**

Rik

Thread: stamford show vandals
19/05/2019 17:31:59

My anger is directed not just to the verminous scum that have done this but to the "leaders" and lawmakers of our country who encourage this anti social filth by insufficient punishment wherever and whenever it happens.

A very sad Rik

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest