By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MT4.5 sleeve
10/03/2019 10:21:39

Your rotational speed will need to be at the lower end of your suggested range- say 40-100 rpm. Between centres is OK. Don't forget to have the work rotating the opposite way to the wheel. Even if I was doing this on a proper cylindrical grinder in the days when it earned me a crust ,I would not dream of doing it without flood coolant.

Rather than go to all that trouble, have you thought of using a carbide tool and just turning it down - its how I would do it! Good luck anyway.

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 10/03/2019 10:26:49

Thread: Jones and Shipman 540 Dripping
08/03/2019 12:57:44

Bob this should help.

Rik

**LINK**

Thread: Lathe bed regrinding
08/03/2019 12:46:01

Hello Barnabas - You may not to tie yourself down to grinding alone - my ancient Grayson flat bed was flycut on a SIP jig borer many years ago. It made a lovely job of it! I would add that the bed was close grained cast iron and unhardened. The bloke who did it for me said it was the best cast iron he had ever machined.

Rik

Thread: AutoCAD substitute
05/03/2019 19:01:29

If you want to register as a student with Autocad Mechanical you get 3 years FREE access to the package - why pay?

Rik

Thread: My wife thinks I'm loosing it
23/02/2019 18:26:46

"My wife thinks I'm loosing it"

My wife agrees with her laugh. Enjoy yourself Martin.

Rik

Thread: WARCO spindle bore
23/02/2019 09:21:33

I used to own a WARCO WM-250 v-f lathe (the older non-inverter version) which I moved on some time ago. I was just going through some bits I had made for it and noticed that my shop made spindle stop for it is 28mm diameter. Out of curiosity I googled aforementioned spindle bore dia. but everything that came up for all variations of the WM-250 that I could find returned 26mm - without exception!

I had used the stop many times so I know I am not dreaming.

Any ideas?

Rik

Thread: Curious coating
22/02/2019 10:14:02

Some time ago I bought at auction a large amount of machined and part machined components that had come from a manufacturer of conveyor lines. Much of the stuff was in the form of stainless and aluminium rollers. To date this lot has come in quite handy as a store of material.

Yesterday, I fished out a piece to turn into a stub mandrel for facing of a pair of steam cylinders. You can see from the pic what happened to the tool tip when I tried facing the grey coated shoulder at the now shiny end of this aluminium like material.

As I fed the tool in using a light cut the tip glowed orange /red. I should mention that the tool bit is not bogstandard HSS but something much tougher and harder – I forget the trade name for it. The coating is so incredibly hard that a file just slides over it without leaving a mark. My guess is that it might be ceramic anti-scuff. I finished machining by using a carbide insert without further problem.

Also, the aluminium like material was much tougher to machine than any “aly like” material I have machined in the past. I wondered if it was titanium but I did a google and read that titanium swarf will burn with a bright light similar to magnesium. It didn’t – it just glowed orange.

If anyone can shed light on coating and/or material I would be very interested to read your comments.

Rik

coating.jpg

tooltip.jpg

Edited By Rik Shaw on 22/02/2019 10:15:19

Thread: New coffee maker - disgusting taste!
15/02/2019 10:15:46

They had stopped using bromide in service tea by the time I joined as a regular in 1964. I know it was never used in our cookhouse. The tea still tasted foul though because they used tinned evaporated milk instead of fresh milk - uuuccckkk !!

We often had to brew our own tea when away from the barracks and here I was introduced to Fussels condensed milk which had a much more acceptable taste in tea provided you could stomach the sweetness.

Rik

13/02/2019 18:36:12

I cannot get going properly in the morn without tea. I use a tea bag and brew with cheapo bottled supermarket water (about 17p for 2 litres - our tap water is foul) in a pre warmed mug with a lid (saucer) on top.

I wrap a tea towel (its where the name came from - did you know that?), round the mug for insulation and infuse for exactly seven minutes - I have a timer on my desk for that sole purpose. I season my brew with a third of a teaspoon of unpasteurised acacia honey and a splash of semi skimmed and sit at my desk to enjoy reading the latest posts on this forum.

I like to start the day with tea and then drink alcohol. beer

Rik

Thread: bunging up hole in CI
12/02/2019 16:24:49

I have this problem fast approaching but I intend using JB weld to fill the 'oles. I am also going to experiment using high build primer on the castings to - hopefully - smooth out some of the imperfections on some of the castings.

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 12/02/2019 16:27:00

Thread: Alternative materials
12/02/2019 13:44:10

Brass it is then chaps. I like the idea of cast iron and steel but I'll go with brass on the basis that it is one thing less to rust on the engine. Thanks for your comments.

Rik

12/02/2019 10:48:36

I'll soon be ready to machine a pair of eccentrics for my ongoing build. The two gunmetal castings are missing from the set of second hand castings I bought. I could order a pair from Reeves or alternatively machine the eccentrics (which wrap around a 1" dia. sheave) from some 1/4" thick brass plate I just happen to have.

I am reasonably certain that the brass should be OK but what will the judges think?

Rik

Thread: Cheap 3D printers
07/02/2019 12:07:14

I bought one of the ALDI Balco 3d printers a few weeks back. It was brain dead on arrival - would not power up. After customer support led trouble shooting they advised that the power supply must be dead. Unit was returned and full refund issued without a problem.

A week after I returned it I noticed they had reduced them by £50 to £250 but now I see they are back up to £300 again.

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 07/02/2019 12:08:40

Thread: Hi from dorset
06/02/2019 18:32:34

Times like this make me wish we still had our caravan at Bowleaze Cove so I could join in! Welcome Phil.

Rik

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
06/02/2019 15:26:29

Just back from a short trip to our local Emmaus to check for anything interesting bookwise. Bought a book titled "British Steam Engines" and another on the history of Sywell aerodrome.

I could not help admiring the lovely German made grandfather clock they had which chimes beautifully on the quarter, half and the hour and has moving moons.

So I bought that as well. moonclockmoon

Got home and realised we had forgotten the milk.

Rik

Thread: Where to begin?
06/02/2019 12:18:08

Dave - At 72 I am not looking for a job CAD/CAMish but if were I would have read your post with great interest. Very informative and well constructed - well done!

Rik

Thread: Digi ME MEW not working
31/01/2019 18:45:28

I'm not to hot on android technicals but the ME and MEW apps suddenly no longer work on my tablet. If I finger click on the two icons I just get a spinning circle. All seems OK on my phone - they work OK.

I am reluctant to uninstall both apps and re-install as it will probably mean I will have to go through that tedious procedure of downloading all the magazines again. Am I missing something?

Rik

Thread: Skyhooks - an overhead solution
29/01/2019 11:29:51

Anyone who suffers the "nuisance" of magnetised tools in their workshop obviously does not have one of these:

degausser.jpg

This example lives under a bench but is rarely used.

Like Mike P though I also appreciate the benefits of magnetic screwdriver tips. With my shaky mitts it often makes things so much easier for me. For this reason ALL my screw driver tips are magnetic. For non-ferrous fixtures I use a dollop of blutack - does the same job!

26/01/2019 12:02:22

I find it very trying looking for a particular hand tool which has hidden itself from view and with no wall space left to mount tool racks the tools remained in cluttered drawers.

So I eyed up these magnetic strips in either LIDL or ALDI (I can't remember which) and thought they might come in handy. The only vacant space to speak of in my workshop is the ceiling so that is where I fixed'em. My screwdrivers and nut runners now have a new organized home. It still does not stop me scratching my head though when I glance up and spot a gap and wonder where I left THAT one!

Initially I had thought the magnets might not be strong enough for the job but these "skyhooks" are well up to the job and in the two months or so since they have been up there nothing has fallen of.

Rik

skyhooks.jpg

Thread: Metal cutting bandsaw
26/01/2019 11:18:15

To save on space (of which I have little left) I tuck my WARCO CY-90 band saw between the end of a bench and one of the lathes. I shortened the 4 legs by 3” and fitted castors so it can be swung out when needed.

saw.jpg

sawleg.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowells
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest