By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Best way to cut HSS tool blanks from bar?
16/07/2019 13:36:47

Jim, I use a similar abrasive disc for slicing HSS. Not sure whether it was ALDI or LIDL but I bought a stand to fit the angle grinder which allows it to be used like a chop saw - it works well.

The only tool steel I know that cuts when red hot is Stellite. I am not aware of any grade of HSS that would cut at those sort of temperatures. In fact, when referring to the cutting/shaping of HSS in the cutter grinding dept. where I laboured a spell the advice given was "if its brown its cooked, if its blue its buggered."

The above refers to the 1980's so apologies if things have moved on.

Rik

Thread: Any other bowmakers on here?
14/07/2019 17:23:42

I posted my previous without reading the thread (slaps forehead!)

Rik

14/07/2019 17:21:20

There is supposed to be a good crossbow on Antiques Roadshow @ 8.00 this eve. BBC1.

Rik

Thread: Recent threads
14/07/2019 10:23:59

Hello Martin - Can't say that I have noticed any increase in verbal "bovver" of late but that might be because I only read threads with titles that look interesting to me.

By the way, I looked for you and your engines yesterday at the Stow-Cum-Quy show but didn't spot you.

Rik

Thread: More mystery tools
13/07/2019 16:47:39

Real works of art, a pleasure to view. Interesting that the engraver has been thoughtful enough to depict your target just in case all that crusted port and vintage cognac has clouded your memory.

Rik

Thread: Curious
09/07/2019 15:01:41

Clive - Sorry to hear about your pain. I can sympathise. The disk at the top of my old spinal fusion op has prolapsed and has been giving me stick for many months. Neither Ibuprofen or Paracetamol will pacify it and Co-codamol and Tramodol only made my constipation so spectacularly chronic that I ended up in an ambulance on the way to A&E a couple of months back. A re-bore was avoided but it was a close run thing!

I have not conquered the back pain by a long way but after 4.30 pm of an afternoon I find a steady oral infusion of Scotlands finest brings me some peace. As for the other problem, the odd cabbage and onion curry can bring a little light relief (well it makes me laugh). kulou

Hope you bee sorted out soon.

Rik

Thread: Work Shop Talk - Tour of my Work Shop
09/07/2019 14:17:22

This thread has reminded me that I need to take photos in the workshop for insurance purposes. I have nearly finished taking the pictures (a lot) and would like to make them viewable on this thread for any one on here who might be interested.

Two things then:

1. What would be the easiest (free) prog/app to batch shrink the pics for upload?

2. What method to use to make a LINK which would make them viewable on here?

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 09/07/2019 14:18:17

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
08/07/2019 17:13:38

Took a break this afternoon from a sweaty workshop and the fiddle of milling 1/8” steam ports. Logged on to a website that offers five free ebooks a month and selected “engineering” as my category and was offered this book authored by one Gints Jekabsons :

"Adaptive Basis Function Construction:An Approach for Adaptive Building of Sparse Polynomial Regression Models"

…………and wondered if they had steam ports as well. Then it dawned on me ---- hot air engines don’t have steam ports…doh! crook

Edited By Rik Shaw on 08/07/2019 17:15:47

Thread: Curious
05/07/2019 17:56:46

I think it was Clive the bee man who recommended scraps of leather as a good source of case hardening carbon so I have collected a small sack full ready for when things get serious! 

By the way Clive, how are the bees doing these days?

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 05/07/2019 18:09:25

Thread: Source of plastic rod
03/07/2019 18:27:59

Good info from all - thank you. Donkey, you appeal to the cheapskate in me. I will checkout both of those salubrious retailers toute suite.

Rik

03/07/2019 15:17:02

Looking for a supplier of hard, tough, round plastic rod. It needs to be easily machinable, take a polish and lend itself well to being engraved. Diameters? Anything from 1" up to about 3". One 300mm'ish length of each would be more than adequate.

If it was possible to obtain man made ivory then that might possibly be just the stuff I'm looking for. In fact, if it were ivory coloured so much the better. Does such a material exist other than in billiard balls (phenolic resin) ?

Rik

Thread: Spotted in Pewsey
01/07/2019 10:37:12

When Aunty Grace and Uncle Fred used to keep the Royal Oak at Wootton Rivers in the '50's my brother and I used to walk from there to Pewsey through the lanes scoffing wild strawberries picked from the steep verges. I don't remember seeing that watchmakers shop in Pewsey though.

Rik

Thread: Snail Problems
29/06/2019 19:18:58

Wife and I will review our use of slug pellets after reading some of your posts. I'd hate to think that they were causing harm to our tasty little hedgepigs.

Rik (Joking and serious at the same time!)

29/06/2019 10:28:34

Howard - I can only assume that your wife does not want to hurt the critters. To protect our hosta's my wife generously provides the snails with a rich diet of slug pellets. They don't like it up'em!

One neighbour with a kindlier streak used to collect all she could from her garden and propel them into a nearby field with a tennis raquet……..mad old bat laugh

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 29/06/2019 10:30:52

Thread: Mounting an ER collet chuck
29/06/2019 10:06:59

“ Or shallow so the bolting outer face contacts the backplate.”

Just that Rich!

Rik

Thread: Model Engineering Overseas
25/06/2019 18:11:19

"You would enjoy this article then about a small lathe made by inmates of a Japanese POW camp in WW2 LINK

A truly amazing story."

I am amazed that those blokes achieved what they did under such conditions way back then.

Rik

Thread: Suitable wood for making tool holders
25/06/2019 17:42:24

I have a swiss made Kaiser boring and facing head in original fitted case. I could never be described as an expert "woodman" but if I were to guess I would say it was made from beech.

Rik

Thread: Total newbie question - Collet identification
22/06/2019 10:32:38

I have a left over set of those collets from my old peatol - long since moved on.

Here is another type altogether - this is a 1/4" collet.:

collet.jpg

Overall length = 27.00mm

Rear locating register diameter = 9.98mm

Any ideas what for?

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 22/06/2019 10:35:08

Thread: Where has my post gone?
20/06/2019 20:47:03

Mart - It happened to me once. These days I make sure the pics are in the album before creating saved text in Word after which I paste into the dialogue box. Just a matter then of adding the photo/s. Maybe not completely foolproof but it works for me. ( Pete - can you let him have a postcode ?)

Rik

Thread: Warco WM16 machine vice
20/06/2019 19:09:20

The vice on my WM16 is here:

millvice.jpg

Jaws are 90mm wide, open up to 67mm and are 40mm high. It cost me £7 if I remember correctly from a bloke in a field one Sunday afternoon some years ago. First thing I did with it was mill a slot underneath and fit a key to locate in the table slot. Saves clocking jaws every time the vice is refitted to the mill.

I have a 6” diameter rotary table purchased from WARCO who advised only the 4” but I though that would be restricting. It came with several dividing plates. Howerd Lewis of this very forum has a correction table available for use with the Vertex HV6 which I believe applies here. If not I’m sure he will correct me. Details here:

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest