By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1831
09/04/2018 10:10:36

oops!

Edited By Rik Shaw on 09/04/2018 10:11:24

09/04/2018 10:06:51

Jeff - Is the model based on a full sized loco (details please?) or was it designed just as a model?

Rik

Thread: WIN 10 again!
07/04/2018 15:09:59

Hope nobody minds if I put in a good word for win 10. No problems with any of our machines. I put my downstairs tower together with bits I bought. CPU Intel core I7 Kaby Lake - 32gb RAM - 2TB HDD, etc. etc..

There are two other PC's in the house both high spec. and two high spec laptops we use for travelling. Could it be that win 10 steams more freely when it is not burdened with older "rolling stock"?

Rik (Now I've stuck my snout above the ramparts somethings bound to go wrong)frown

Thread: TV tonight
04/04/2018 23:07:14

Thanks Mick - Then I won't bother watching it then teeth 2

Rik

04/04/2018 18:12:49

Tonight on BBC 4 , 20.00 hours - "Metalwork: The Blacksmiths Tale". It might be a repeat but I've never seen it.

Rik

Thread: Trade wars and this hobby
04/04/2018 10:42:47

Latest US tariff announcements on goods imported from China include machinery. I expect that the likes of Grizzly etc. are in for a hard time.>>

Hope it does not come this way!! Any comments Ketan?>>

Rik>>

Read page number 34 in following:>>

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/files/Press/Releases/301FRN.pdf>>

Edited By Rik Shaw on 04/04/2018 11:12:26

Thread: Boiler Identity ?.
28/03/2018 15:58:03

I have checked all my drawing sets but no joy. It is quite a simple design - TICH maybe?

Rik

Thread: Percolated coffee
27/03/2018 14:46:42

+ 1 for welfare orange - luvvly stuff. My gran always enjoyed a cup of milky Camp while listening to the Archers on her steam radio.

Rik

Thread: Castable refractory - any experiences with Ciment Fondu?
26/03/2018 17:05:09

Many years ago a friend and I attempted to cast cylinders for SIMPLEX. We made a melting pot from a bit of large dia. metal pipe with a plate welded on one end. We just lined it with ordinary fire clay. It worked and melted the bronze OK. Just a pity we made it to small so there was not enough "melt" for a complete cylinder.crying 2

Rik

Thread: Shortening screws
25/03/2018 17:48:43

Matt posted the following link here earlier:

**LINK**

(Thanks for that Matt). So spent a few happy hours today knocking one up with a 9 BA collet drilled out with a No.49 drill to hold my 9BA screws which are .072” over the threads. Hopefully this “tightish” fit will avoid any Howard Lewis type wobbles.

Shop time for today came to a halt a short while ago when I ran out of “standing up time” ( don’t larf you’ll be like it one day!) so not been able to try it out yet. I’ll have another bash tomorrow.

If it works OK then I’ll go ahead and make some different sized collets but not before I have worked out a method of “mass” production. This is where I miss the ability to go from turning speed to parting speed at the turn of a knob as I could on my now departed wm 250 vf.

One more observation - the 20mm bolt as seen in the photo (of which I have a box full), is the sort commonly found on building sites and used for fixing steelwork. I fully expected it to be as soft as muck but to my surprise it was as tough as a very tough thing. My lathe is a Warco BH600G - big enough to make mincemeat out of something like this. Anyway, two chipped carbide inserts later the job was done. So much for my supply of cheap car boot steel.

Rik

cropper001.jpg

cropper002.jpg

Thread: Beauty or beast?
20/03/2018 12:18:52

Andrew - I remember that blue haze well as we lived in Queens Park at the time. Though there was not a lot to choose from between the stink of the brickworks and the horrible pong that hung over Port Sunlight where I lodged while doing my engineering apprentice training. I think it was caused by the reaction of caustic soda and palm oil during the soap making process. Phweee - worse than cheesy feet!!!

Rik

20/03/2018 10:17:43

Torn between a steam loco and a traction engine for your next model? I found this whilst trawling – could it be the answer?

**LINK**

OK, the brickworks were not noted as a repository of things beautiful but a certain dinner lady in the works canteen – Elsie Frigg – was particularly admired by some of the older men smile p

Rik

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
16/03/2018 11:56:07

Popped into Sally Ann shop and picked up a years worth of ME - 1945 - in leather (?) binder.

Rik

15/03/2018 00:14:34

"I have done enough.

Colin"

Me to Colin - enjoy your retirement.

Rik

Thread: Stephen Hawking
14/03/2018 15:42:57

Surely his work will shine a light on generations to come. However, I will remember him for that beaming grin when NASA provided him an opportunity to experience weightlessness in 2007.

Rik

Thread: Another Mystery tool
11/03/2018 18:33:44

Not seen one before but I'd guess it to be either an "external" tailstock "centre" or a planisher.

Rik

Thread: Tv tonight
04/03/2018 19:17:38

For the motorbike fans. Timeshift tonight BBC4 20.00. All about British bikes from 1920's to1950's.

Rik

Thread: delivery
04/03/2018 09:52:24

We sent an old wooden chair of great sentimental value to the USA recently. The chair was packed in a very large cardboard box measuring 80x70x57 cm. and the package weighed 9 kilos.

It was collected by Parcelhero courier at 16.30 on 20th Feb 2018 from our house in Bucks. and was delivered to a private address in Pennsylvania USA sometime on 22nd.>>

Wife and I were astounded by the speed of delivery.

>Rik>

Thread: Coventry dies
27/02/2018 17:55:15

I would not attempt to sharpen by hand - if you want to take advantage of the accuracy of your die head that is. You would increase your chances of finding some one who would do the job if you invested in a die sharpening attachment - they quite often come up on ebay though not always cheap.

Then all you need to find is someone with a surface grinder.

Rik

Thread: Broken tap in copper boiler
20/02/2018 10:02:05

Having developed an allergy to deodorants I was recommended alum crystal stick which I have now been using for years. I do not have a problem with BO or BA ( bothersome axillaries ) and I am pleased to say my armpits have not dissolved (unlike my brain).

Once you have removed your busted tap Paul I for one would be very interested how you got on - good luck!

Rik

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest