By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: EDGWICK 20" SHAPER
12/05/2018 18:17:01

Makes my 10" Alba look puny sad

Rik

Thread: drilling a 20mmx 300mm Hole in cast iron
09/05/2018 20:55:28

Silver soldering / brazing the required extension using methods suggested on here would be the way to go for me if I came up against your drilling problem. I have always used this method for drilling deep and cannot see a simpler solution.

Rik

Thread: Show and Tell Event for Forum Members?
06/05/2018 17:07:44

Good idea - Would love to attend but the driving is getting a bit onerous (and painful) these days. My club is Northampton but I expect this is a bit to far south for most as it seems that quite a lot of the forum chappies are from 'oop north - as we southern lot say!!

Rik

Thread: Crane/hoist for shed, ideas?
06/05/2018 16:11:47

Jim, I know how you feel. Here is a link to how I did it without using the roof.

**LINK**

Rik

Thread: sherry shelf life.
06/05/2018 09:51:43

If it has not been opened it should be perfectly OK. If it smells of vinegar then dump it or try pickling your boiler in it!! If undecided, drink a glass. If still undecided, drink another glass. Keep going until you are certain its OK cheeky

Rik

Thread: Zeus infallible?----mmmmm!
05/05/2018 18:44:57

I have just found a fifth version of Zeus I had forgotten I had. This version is even older and front and rear covers are a delicate shade of green a' la Woodbine fag packet. It is the "Unified Edition" and marked "COPYRIGHT 55" (1955 ?)>>

Funnily enough none of the aforementioned mistakes mentioned in this thread appear in this older edition.>>

But as far as data tables go, my ancient and tattered copy of ME plans catalogue from circa 1984 has very clear tables and I still use it on a regular basis, pity it is no longer published.>>

By the way - does anyone know when the first Zeus book was published?>>

Rik>>

03/05/2018 22:26:09

Just a quick update and David Standing is quite correct. I had read largest collet as 1 1/4" when it is actually 1 1/8". All 66 new collets have finally arrived and I am much pleased.

>Rik>

02/05/2018 17:36:20

David - You have prompted me to double check the description of my purchase and it looks as if four collets in the sequence will be missing 5/16" - 15/32 - 7/8" and 1 1/16" but yes there are a lot of collets - 66 to be precise. Your figure of 76 would be about right but for the fact that there are no sizes between 1 1/8" and 1 1/4". I am still bothered by the ! 1/4" though. Sure hope that they ARE 5c's and not some sort of special.

Rik

02/05/2018 15:34:38

Yes Jason. I to am puzzled seeing as the main body of a 5c is only 1 1/4" diameter itself but it clearly states (and shows in a photo that accompanied the listing) that there is a 1 1/4" included. All will be revealed later on today when the seller has kindly offered to drop them of for me.

Rik

02/05/2018 13:25:50

Waiting for a delivery later today of a nice new set of imperial 5c collets from 1/16” to 1 ¼” in 1/64” increments. So just to amuse myself I got out a ZEUS book and used it to check which ones might possibly be close enough to be used for gripping metric sizes.

Part way through I came across this typo (marked with red dot). 55/64???? – I think not.

I own four ZEUS books, 3 x Metric Revision and 1 x Revised Edition and the mistake occurs in all four.

And all these years I had considered Mr Zeus to be infallible.

Rik sad

zeus.jpg

Thread: Painting problems
29/04/2018 17:14:22

I suffer from a lack of enthusiasm (and a steady hand) when it comes to painting models. In the next little while my loco should be completed and will need a paint job. At that point I will need to hire the services of a competent expert - if I can find one!

Rik

Thread: Car boot sales
29/04/2018 11:34:52

I’ve just been sorting out booty buys from this morn – rain stopped play - and found this in a box of bits. It is 5” long by ¼” square. The interest is in the use and history and googling “tam o’ shanter hone” reveals its “secrets”.

Example:

**LINK**

Rik (nearly dry!)

toshone002.jpg

toshone.jpg

Thread: Hexagon Head v. Allen/Cap Head screws/bolts
25/04/2018 21:00:48

High tensile cap heads I use for tooling but for all my steam models I use hexagon nuts and bolts/screws simply because they were what was used when the full sized versions were built - they just look right!

Rik

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
24/04/2018 12:54:26

There are seven chilled cast iron sash weights under the flames with more wood waiting. Fingers crossed that this is a de-chilling exercise and not a waste of time exercise.thinking

Rik

sashsoft.jpg

Thread: Department of Work and Pensions
23/04/2018 00:11:18

“put as much as you can from as early as possible into their pensions”

With savers interest rates as low as they are I think that investing in candy floss might be a realistic option crook

20/04/2018 16:08:52

Brian - I think I might be tempted to return the first 20p coin to Mr. DWP with instructions to insert it in his inter-gluteal cleft and take a running jump without dropping it.

Rik

Thread: Drawing board v CAD
18/04/2018 10:09:23

I would imagine that people who attempt to learn a 3D CAD program have varying degrees of success. Anyone who achieves Nirvanah is going to be determined and motivated for good reason. I would suggest that one good reason is to eventually drive a CNC machine they might own.

At the other end of the scale are the interested and curious. I would say that the majority of this group might struggle to master the “dark art”.

I fall somewhere between these two groups in that I have a small 3 axis CNC mill and am struggling to get to grips with an obscure 2 1/2D software prog that came tailored to the machine. At this fairly early stage in the learning process I am slowly making progress – enough progress to encourage me to continue my 2 1/2D studies.

As for 3D? My software will handle the import of G-code and allow it to machine in 3D. To this end I have given up quite a few hours over the last year or so “playing” with Fusion360 but “play” it remains as my efforts at the moment are concentrated on 2 1/2D which I find demanding enough but still enjoyable and rewarding.

With two other projects (from existing drawings) also bubbling away (alright – simmering!!!) in the background, I cannot see that I will ever get the time to properly learn something like Fusion360 and use it on my CNC mill but I’ll keep on playing with it laugh

Rik

Thread: Care of Slip Gauges
16/04/2018 18:01:55

I don’t have a problem with rust or condensation. However, If I did, I would keep my old but cherished Coventry Matrix slips indoors. I keep a sheet of brown paper sprayed with WD40 in the slip box. They really do not need this protection but I always reckon that the skill and effort that went into producing some of Englands finest deserves my respect. God save the Queen.

Rik

Thread: Warco WM 16 Read out conversion
16/04/2018 17:05:47

Packets of cr2032's are cheap as chips at IKEA.

Rik

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
11/04/2018 17:05:12

Spent the last few days and today learning to drive my small new(ishly) acquired CNC mill. Loads of mistakes and polystyrene dust everywhere but I'm getting there.

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 11/04/2018 17:05:47

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest