By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Metal combinations for a plain bearing
04/06/2018 09:11:30

I agree with Hopper - its how I would do it.

Rik

Thread: Savings interest rates
03/06/2018 19:18:18

I’ve just checked the average rates of interest paid on savings accounts in the UK. Last year the average was 1% over the year. In 1990 the rate was - wait for it - 13.56% (I don’t ever remember it that high but that is what the online chart read when I looked an hour ago.) It has steadily declined to where we are now in 2018 – a year in which the average looks like it will be well under 1%.

I can’t help but think that there are some very greedy bankers up there crapping on my head, yours as well (unless you are a banker of course)!!!

**LINK**

Thread: New vice - is it too large?
31/05/2018 21:21:16

Bought a large swiveller from Axminster (they do have a rather nice showroom ) . The vice is intended for use on my shaper. Like Jason the first thing I did was remove the rotating base and confine it to a cupboard - maybe it will get some use one day thinking.

Rik

Thread: Electric Motors
31/05/2018 08:11:40

"I have a single phase motor which is ok but tends to get hot to touch"

My now departed WM250 suffered the same complaint. I limited this to some extent by lashing up a large computer fan on the end of the motor. (Only JUST enough room between motor and splash guard to do this!)

My WARCO bandsaw gets even hotter. After 20 - 30 minutes work (even with a new blade) the motor gets so hot I can smell the varnish burning on the windings meaning that in order to avoid flames the work has to be done in shifts while the motor cools down. Maybe the fan idea might help here as well but I am doubtful ... perhaps a round TUIT sometime no

Rik

Thread: Warco 2 point traveling steady - which model??
27/05/2018 21:07:05

Richard - your dims tie up exactly. Thank you for taking the trouble.

ATB

Rik

27/05/2018 16:42:00

Thanks for that Richard. If you get a minute could you measure the approx distance from the tip of the brassy noses to the centre of the fixing holes for me? I make it about 144mm. Thanks in advance.

Rik

27/05/2018 13:19:01

I have just been given this steady and told that it came of a WARCO lathe - model unknown. I have compared it to the fixed steady belonging to my BH600G which is 6" (150mm) centre height and it looks a little smaller. My guess is that it fits on a lathe of around 5" centre height or thereabouts.

Does anyone know which model it is meant to fit?

Rik

warcosteady.jpg

Edited By Rik Shaw on 27/05/2018 13:29:39

Thread: Clean hands?
26/05/2018 18:59:35

I don't have the problem. I wear latex/nitrile examination gloves (ooerr!!) which I buy at the car boot. At about £2.50 for a box of a hundred. Sometimes I can buy them cheaper so I presently have enough boxes to last quite some time.

Rik

Thread: speed control pcb for Clarke CL300 lathe
25/05/2018 17:34:34

Felix - Over to John Rudd as regards advice - John really knows his onions!!!

25/05/2018 09:47:00

These speed control boards seem to fail all to often. Mine did on a number of occasions. A WARCO engineer told me that it is ESSENTIAL to back of the speed control to zero before starting the machine in order to prolong the life of the board. (Poor design? - almost certainly is my guess.) It even advises this in the machine manual but I think that this advice should be in inch high block capitals and printed in red.

My final solution was to flog my lathe and buy something without electronic speed control. OK, its a PITA changing belts and back gears to change speed but I no longer have the constant worry that the thing will go "PHUT" on me when I switch it on.

Rik

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
20/05/2018 22:37:05

"I have been steam cultivating today with a pair of 1917 Fowlers"

Farmer near me still uses horses and flail cutter for harvesting wheat into stooks so would have loved to have seen your steam cultivating today - but then I would have been an onlooker sad

Rik

Thread: MEX 2018
20/05/2018 17:03:27

"or run a Show at the East of England Show Ground"

Wizard notion Howard!

Rik

Thread: What have I got here?
19/05/2018 17:50:13

Thanks Bill, I thought they might be Stuart.

John - You are on the ball. The lock screw is engraved "PUT 210-40". and I forgot to say that it is metric.

Rik

19/05/2018 17:24:26

Liberated from the boot sale today - 50p each.

The first pic shows two unmachined castings for a horizontal engine. (A).

Then there is a standard for a vertical at approx. 3 5/8” high which has been machined (B).

What engines are they for?

The flywheel is about 2 3/32” dia. (C)

Finally, a Moore & Wright machine micrometer stop in a lovely shade of machine tool grey. (D) Any idea what machine this came from?

Rik

castings.jpg

microstop.jpg

Thread: Where do modelers get their blue prints?
17/05/2018 14:35:58

Many thanks for that link Dennis. Hope it helps the OP as well.

Rik

17/05/2018 10:19:09

Where do modelers get their blueprints?

I have several old Plans Handbook published by MAP which listed numerous drawings for models. One is Issue 3 published in 1976 and priced 30p a lovely little catalogue for browsing. Are the drawings in it still available and if so from where? Neil??

Rik

Thread: Carbide Insert decode
17/05/2018 09:55:39

Hello Will -

I mostly use this:

**LINK**

Thread: Oilites..?
16/05/2018 12:28:24

I don't see why not . Do not get it to hot when machining as the oil will seep out.

Rik

Thread: What is this for? Mystery object
15/05/2018 10:03:20

Trip catch for slamming door shut on animal trap?????

Rik

Thread: 5c fun !!
13/05/2018 18:24:21

Unwrapped my new Chinese made 5c collet chuck delivered yesterday. Wiped it clean and tried fitting a new collet but the chuck key would not fit. After a bit of faffing I discovered that burrs at the edges of the square chuck key holes were preventing insertion of chuck key. A quick rub with a small file and all was well.

Still the collet would not draw in properly instead it simply cocked over to one side. This time no faffing but quite a bit of head scratching instead.

Out with the vernier and inside mic and the problem was revealed. The key which fits into the keyway on the collet and stops it rotating as it is being tightened was .006” to long causing it to jam in the bottom of the keyway.

Filed .010” of the end and Bobs ‘yer uncle!

I’ll not complain though as the chuck was only a fraction of the price of say a Bison and if a little detail fitting means saving 3-4 hundred Chardonnay vouchers then I’m up for it every time.

I’m not going to get to smug just yet though, the next job is to machine a back plate for it and see how true the collets run – fingers crossed.

Rik

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest