By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Surface Grinder, luxury or essential?
05/07/2018 21:36:50

I would love a surface grinder but I have run out of space to fit one in. Having used them in the past I know what I am missing.

Rik

Thread: BOILER CLEADING
02/07/2018 10:36:20

As we left our holiday let earlier I took this pic of the last can of food left in our supplies box.

Rik

tincan.jpg

02/07/2018 09:12:04

I was chatting to a bloke at the boot yesterday and he told me he had used baked bean cans for his loco, he was quite serious!

Thread: Old but good!
01/07/2018 22:17:43

At the age of 71 I am still able to find pleasure in a field. The first one always struck me as a bit of a space age new kid - the lovely Ariel Arrow. (Hope I have got that right!)

arrow.jpg

The second is a much older but equally as beautiful Humber tricycle:

tricycle.jpg

and a front view of madams seat:

trikefront.jpg

Unusual (to me) a model of a live steaming Suffolk Dredging Tractor:

dredge.jpg

and finally, a demonstration of what an Irish border crossing would look like after a hard Brexit:

gits.jpg

Edited By Rik Shaw on 01/07/2018 22:19:08

Thread: Am I getting an irritable old git?
01/07/2018 18:09:10

Andrew - I mus b an older git than u. W0ts texting then?

Rik

Thread: WARCO WM-250 lathe family and WM16 mill - 001
26/06/2018 14:54:49

PS Go with John Rudds advice. He is mustard on this stuff (Thanks again John)

Rik

26/06/2018 14:51:53

Dave - It happened to me. Have you been following WARCO's advice re: stopping/starting? The speed control should be backed of to zero before starting and again before stopping. (See page 9 in Ops Manual) Failure to follow this procedure can fry the board . A new board is V expensive. Around £120 last time I cooked mine.

BTW, be sure to fit a 3 amp fuse in the mains plug as this will blow first if you have a stack-up and save stripping the teeth in the gearbox.

Rik

Thread: Band saw blades
24/06/2018 09:18:00

+1 for Tuff Saws mail order. Always very helpful. Bi-metal type is always my choice.

Rik

Thread: Oil for micrometers
23/06/2018 08:06:39

I use this:

**LINK**

Rik

Thread: Help needed making Harold Hall's Grinding Rest
23/06/2018 07:41:00

Hello Joe

I have made the rest:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=40026

From memory I milled the pin void first then drilled 5mm from both sides using a vice stop to locate the block. I cheated by using some good quality threaded rod instead of screw cutting. When I offered the rod up to the job it almost went through both holes without binding but not quite - just a gnats you understand! I cured the binding by gradually running a 13/64” hand reamer through a little at a time until the rod passed through freely.

It goes without saying that for best results the block should be squared up as accurately as possible.

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 23/06/2018 07:49:44

Edited By Rik Shaw on 23/06/2018 07:52:58

Thread: Meteor detecting
18/06/2018 22:25:51

Good point Dave and as you observe, light pollution is a problem, but back then and in such an isolated location with zero local lighting the sparkling magnificence was still pretty impressive with a milky way to die for!

Rik

18/06/2018 07:50:57

Thirty something years ago we were camping on a site by Chesil beach. It was a clear but moonless night around two in the morn and black as your hat when I unzipped the tent flap to visit the site toilet. What I saw near took my breath away. I have never seen so many stars in the sky before or since. I saw two shooting stars before I had even reached the lav - an unforgettable memory! (the stars - not the lav) cheeky

Rik

17/06/2018 20:44:51

With that Sky dish pointing earthward you are unlikely to receive anything other than Mrs Dales Diary or Gardeners Question Time laugh

Rik

Thread: 3 in 1 Oil
13/06/2018 09:38:34

I use anything oily as long as its less than three quid a gallon from the beneficent boot.

Rik

Thread: Aldi bandsaw
11/06/2018 10:44:38

Thanks to most of you for blade advice. I'll order a couple of blades today to deal with my brass sheet.

Rik

11/06/2018 10:39:24

"I suggest you are overthinking this...."

Your remarks puzzle me!

Rik

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
11/06/2018 10:34:00

Ian - Bog standard UK car boots is what I visit. True, most of the stuff on offer is of no interest to me but visiting up to four or five boots a week in the past meant that now and then a diamond would shine through the tat. The trick is to get there regularly and early.

I have to admit though that at 71 I am slowing down and I am no longer able to spring into action at five in the morn every Sunday. Talking about spring, three weeks ago I bought an ammunition box full of what looks like air gun springs for a quid - that was an unusual one!

My largest purchase ever was an Alba 1A shaper which I spotted dangling from a vehicle hiab at a local boot and no, it didn't fit in my boot! (They delivered it for me - see my album if interested).

Good luck and keep trying.

Rik

Thread: Aldi bandsaw
10/06/2018 20:57:44

Bought one of these today because the box said it could cut non-ferrous (although the handbook does not mention this fact). The blade supplied and fitted has large teeth and is obviously meant for wood/plastic.

I have quite a large pile of .070" thick brass sheet. Will this machine cut it with the correct blade fitted? If so, what sort of blade should I be looking for. i.e Width -TPI - bi-metal etc. etc.

Never used a little bandsaw before, only experience was with one with a 1" wide blade in a die shop many years ago.

Rik

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
10/06/2018 20:39:43

Had a shuftey round the car boot today and bought a pair of boxed digital scales - one of 300mm and one of 600mm. The 600mm is ok but the 300mm has been sitting for to long unused and is suffering from battery corrosion muck spreading onto the circuit board and its components. Had a quick google and it seems that white vinegar will deal with it. I'll get some in the morn and try. Be nice if I can fix it as the two could go on my WARCO BH600G. Anyway, £18 for the two did not seem to expensive.

Rik

Thread: Warco lathe owners - what is this feature?
04/06/2018 14:14:05

Its a sight gauge alright. Fill point is on LH side. If I remember correctly, WARCO advised to fill/top up until the oil spilled out from the back of the casting. So why the sight glass? You'll need to ask Mister Warco. You'll get more better info if you download much better GRIZZLY manual for their version of thee WM250.

Rik

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest