By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Invicta 1M shaping machine
19/09/2018 16:11:54

Thank you Brian. I brush painted it using an expensive new brush purchased special for the job. The grey paint is Crown Solo one coat gloss and the shade is "Silver Mine" - only its not silver, its ornery grey!

The red is Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal Paint. Suprisingly - to me anyway - this paint does not have the hammer effect I have come to expect from Hammerite. Good luck and enjoy.

Rik

18/09/2018 16:54:14

Brian - Have fun "doing up" your shaper and welcome to the club. Hope nobody minds if I flash mine again.

**LINK**

Thread: Beer and Grapefruit
14/09/2018 09:42:34

I used to love a pint of draught Abbot Ale from a barrel with a tap on. Heavenly stuff especially when the barrel was half empty. Sadly, these days, my old innards cannot handle such magnificence. Chardonnay and uisge beatha now rock my cradle.

Rik

Thread: Website Clock Times
12/09/2018 17:51:32

Hijack? What hijack? I only noticed folk trying to be helpful.

Rik sad

12/09/2018 10:06:14

I use this to set everything:

**LINK**

Rik

Thread: Canon Printer in Aldi
12/09/2018 09:57:23

"I have a prehistoric but rock solid HP1022 laser for B&W and an Epson Ecotank for colour, cheap as chips to run."

Same here, only difference is ours is an HP P2055d. The Epson Ecotank ET 2500 can sit for a month or so without being used but always prints on demand without any problems. Ink cartridges are now just a bad memory.

Rik

Thread: Come on you clever people
04/09/2018 20:40:56

I don't suppose one more pole is going to make any difference!

Rik

Thread: Never Throw Anything Away
03/09/2018 19:42:19

My wife often accuses me of being a hoarder. I am NOT a hoarder, just an enthusiastic guardian of the unwanted.teeth 2

Rik

Thread: ME taps and dies
03/09/2018 15:27:02

"taps and dies in HSS. I have never seen any advertised"

I've not either but I do have two or three old HSS ME taps in a drawer somewhere so they were available at some time in the past.

Rik

Thread: Tungsten steel taps and dies.
03/09/2018 09:24:09

I bought an unused 45 piece "tungsten steel" tap and die set made by HILKA from the boot a fortnight ago for a fiver. I have only used the 8mm tap once in a lump of MS by hand and it threaded the hole as well as a DORMER HSS would have. However, I would not expect it to stay as sharp for as long as a top quality HSS version.

Rik

Thread: Yesterdays Car Boot Haul! Odd items
03/09/2018 09:03:42

Ackworthie is tapping head, Matrix is a bench inspection micrometer and Boxford looks like a bore sizing gauge.

Rik

Thread: What a waste!
25/08/2018 16:54:33

"Is the blade any good?"

I haven't tried it yet but I'd need to attack a variety of materials before I could make a meaningful evaluation. Watch this space if interested.

Rik

PS. I only bought a single blade, I hate to think what size the delivery box would have been for a pack of ten.thinking

25/08/2018 14:31:24

I read about Vitrex radial hacksaw blades on here a couple of days ago and thought how handy one might be. It arrived this morn via Amazon courier. Is OTT packaging like this REALLY necessary? I think not!

Rik

vitrex.jpg

Edited By Rik Shaw on 25/08/2018 14:32:04

Thread: WARCO WM-250 lathe family and WM16 mill - 001
14/08/2018 13:08:06

Chris

Sorry I cannot help with the weight as mine has never been of. Not sure I understand how gas struts are going to save your arms - where would you be thinking of fitting them?

Rik

Thread: This weeks offer at Lidl
12/08/2018 17:55:28

As of Thursday 16th they are offering more of those inverter welders at £59.99 with a 3 year warranty. At that price I will bag one.

Rik

Thread: Should every machine tool be bolted to a concrete floor?
06/08/2018 18:35:59

Wooden workshop and wood/MDF floor at this end. My quite heavy WARCO BH600G is bolted to its stand which is in turned bolted to a length of kitchen worktop which acted as a skid when I first installed the lathe and is still in place. The lathe feet at the rear are "braced" to the wooden wall with 2x lengths of !/2" x 1/8" MS strip mainly to reduce any topple effect.

All was OK until a few months ago when I strapped a slightly of centre casting to the face plate for machining. It would have been OK but I had forgotten to reduce the speed from fast to slow range. In the split second it took me to stop the lathe I came very close to a trouser job.

So if you have a concrete floor I would say bolt it down as one day you - like me - may forget as well blush

Rik

Thread: Prototype Mechanical Crab
05/08/2018 19:30:17

Nice work Steve and refreshingly different from model steam and mechanical engines (as much as I like both!). How about a nice big fiddler type claw on your next one. It could tighten up its own screws when they come loose laugh

Rik

Thread: What Is The Most Beautiful 'Thing' In The World?
04/08/2018 22:46:15

Marmite on toast.

Rik

Thread: Cast Iron Weights -Aldi
01/08/2018 10:16:26

I collect these weights along with cast iron scales weights etc if cheap enough at the local boot. So far I have machined about 10 per cent of my total stock without a problem. In fact it machines very well indeed. The only stuff that is variable is CI sash weights. Some of mine are "untouchable".

Rik.

Thread: Tangential Tool holder
29/07/2018 15:56:28

I agree with John. Rather than grind though I use an abrasive stone and stone a small radius the full length of the toobit. Once done it need not be done again.

Rik

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest