By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How does solder stick ?
08/12/2018 07:49:48

Years ago a friend, who was senior lecturer in flight dynamics at Cranfield, once pointed me in this direction:

**LINK**

A theory no doubt that pgk pgk is familiar with.

Rik

P.S I tend not to fly these days!

Thread: Grinder wanted on South Coast
06/12/2018 10:06:15

Why not open up to the entire UK? The postage costs would be incidental compared to the realistic cost of the labour charge!

Rik

Thread: Pattern making
05/12/2018 11:03:27

John, I can only comment on your post rather than answer your questions but I am similarly curious. I have a small cnc milling/router/engraver that takes .250" dia bits max and has a working area of x200 y175 and z90. After having had it for a couple of years I am still trying to get my head round around the complexity of actually producing on a regular basis. For me though, self teaching CAD/CAM post processors and gcode etc etc beats the hell out of navel contemplation and crossword puzzles.>>

Just to make things a little more interesting I have just purchased one of ALDI's Balco 3D printers, so another toy to get my head around once I assemble it later this morn.>>

Like you, I have wondered about producing patterns using such kit but in reality I am unlikely to need to do so with half a dozen just started/half finished models in the "to do" cupboard awaiting my precious time - I'm 72. Like Chris I would probably go the manually cobbled polystyrene route for the occasional "lost wax" pattern>>

I do occasionally complete a model or item of tooling which is nice but my great pleasure lies in the journey. The destination is secondary - but it is good to “arrive” now and again. smile d>>

Rik>>

Thread: The demise of the High Street
04/12/2018 18:05:33

" Nobody, absolutely nobody, cuts hair any longer where I live!"

Surely a few cut it shorter don't they ? teeth 2

Rik

Thread: Windows 10 again
30/11/2018 20:02:16

I'm no expert but plugging each into a cheapo surge protector should do the job OK - yes????

Rik

Thread: Workshop security - CCTV
29/11/2018 10:42:52

"From personal experience CCTV provides bugger all deterrent."

Sorry to hear that Tony but straight from the mouth of a DI quite recently after a nearby break in the best deterrents in order are:

Visible alarm system

Visible CCTV

Large noisy dog

Rik

(I suspect Tony Martin would like to add to the above list!)

29/11/2018 10:31:25

Mick

High def cameras with good quality imaging are these days both cheap and plentiful. To avoid complexity though I would recommend buying and installing a kit comprising camera/s and a recording device (NVR) - of which ebay for instance display multi choices.

I tried doing it using wifi cameras and free software on a PC but it did not suit me and I would not recommend it. My 1080 IP HD cams are branded PRIKIM and I use one of these for storage:

f:0">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HiWatch-By-Hikvision-4-Channel-4MP-IP-Network-NVR-CCTV-Recorder-H-264-NVR-104-A/202242425532?hash=item2f169682bc:m:mkgVYltdqKFeR-67I5vh8Vg:rk:57f:0

It’s not a kit I know but I had the cameras already. Choose to connect your cams directly to the NVR by Ethernet cable rather than wirelessly if you want to keep things simple

Rik

Thread: Return to form !
28/11/2018 17:10:32

Having a wand handy should mean you'll have no need for a scrap box and if you are THAT good you won't need to buy any equipment either . Were you disillusioned by The Magic Circle?wink 2

Rik

Thread: 'shop tip from 1921
25/11/2018 16:22:41

"both barrels of a shotgun shoved in from the bottom!"

Would that be the bottom of the chimney or the bottom of the chi................? I agree, it does sound messy.

Rik

Thread: Small bore gauges
25/11/2018 11:02:44

Sean - These are what I use. The Moore £ Wright gauges in the brown envelope are what I use most. Given the choice though I would use a go - no go plug gauge every time for final sizing (if I had some!).

NOTE for mods. Trying to upload pics to my album now crashes Chrome every time in ver. 70.0.3538.102 and also 70.0.3538.110 both 64-bit. I had to resort to Edge to upload this one. Hope this helps.

Rik

boregauges.jpg

Edited By Rik Shaw on 25/11/2018 11:04:13

Edited By Rik Shaw on 25/11/2018 11:05:38

Thread: CBD Oil
22/11/2018 18:05:14

My back was done (badly) in 1986 - 3 level spinal fusion laminectomy with bone grafts taken from my hip to lock everything up after the discs were removed.>>

Thirty two years on and the disk at the top of the wound has popped causing even more pain. I spent years trying to find a way of getting a good nights sleep until some friends invited me to go camping with them. I took with me a cheap blow up Argos mattress and had the most comfortable night I'd had since the op – oh so very comfortable!>>

I now permanently kip on an Argos special on top of our conventional mattress. Breathing at this elevated altitude is no problem, I wear a CPAP mask. >>

I try to avoid pharmaceutical drugs and rely instead on traditional Scottish Speyside distillations because I love tradition and natural remedies - even if they will eventually deliver me >kulou>

Thread: ALDI 3D Balco printer
20/11/2018 16:55:37

I suppose I should have asked already but better late then never. How smelly - or not - are these things when they are running and is the noise - if any - likely to disturb at night as it would be operating in my study next to our bedroom.

Rik

20/11/2018 10:33:41

ALDI email tells me that one of this weeks online specials is this:

**LINK**

I have no experience of 3D printers so any comments regarding this item would be appreciated. Hopefully one of these could be on its way down the chimney in a few weeks time . gift

Rik

Thread: Unrecognised Acronym on ebay listings 'UKPL'
18/11/2018 10:39:45

In house dispatch code as in: "Another ruddy gwailou - UK Post Last. It's all about time.ing?

Rik

Thread: Death of Model Engineering?
14/11/2018 23:30:13

I don’t think it really matters how you describe what we get up to in our workshops/sheds. To some of us it is “model engineering” – others may like to describe their activities as “hobby engineering”. However you may choose to describe your hobby of using machine tools, small and large to make “stuff” is up to you but at the end of the day if a “fettler” like me is accused of being a model engineer then that makes me feel quite proud to be a member of the basher and fixer club.

“Death of Model Engineering” Is it dying? Honestly, compared to the 60’s / 70’s we are in the last chance saloon but as long as there are blokes around willing to spend hard earned cash on the likes of rags such as ME, MEW and Engineering in Miniature then hopefully we can sustain the pulse – for now!

Rik

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
03/11/2018 12:31:21

What is the cost of continuing to use the software once the free six months comes to an end.?

Rik

Thread: Old Printer Parts
01/11/2018 17:32:11

Over the years I have constructively destroyed a good number of printers, scanners and photocopiers for those lovely shiny guide rod innards. That which I have butchered to date has been a pleasure to machine.

Rik

Thread: Slitting Saw Arbor
31/10/2018 17:22:13

"I don't think anyone mentioned the phenomenon of the work closing on the saw towards the end of the cut."

They have done in the past but not here as you observe. I often wonder if the inventor of the caliper brake had ever been inspired by the buttock clenching fright at the end of a cut when"that" occurs. Suitably Halloweenish?

Rik

Thread: For discussing the merits of alternative 3D CAD programs.
28/10/2018 22:35:39

Chris - Fusion 360 with its tutorials is as good (better) than any book and for now, free.

Rik

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
28/10/2018 17:30:45

"I have moved the comments on other CAD packages to another thread."

Which thread would that be Neil?

Rik

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest