By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help needed to identify a surface grinder
16/10/2020 17:21:27

I think what you might have there is a lash up between a bench drill, a milling machine and an eclipse magnetic chuck. Heath Robinson would have been proud of it but goodness knows what was going through the mind of the person who conceived of it. He seems to have aimed at making it machine portable as well - pity one of the wheels has fallen of !

Rik

Thread: "various" in the classifieds.
08/10/2020 16:56:09

I have sent Dudley a couple of emails since the ad was posted but he has not replied. Have YOU tried? How did you fare?

Rik

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
07/10/2020 18:07:44

Ever since I bought my second hand WARCO BH600G I have cringed every time I look at the busted monkey metal catches on the sheet metal stand cupboards. So this afternoon I removed them............

catch001.jpg

............and replaced them with something a bit more pleasing to the eye.

catch002.jpg

catch003.jpg

Just bling I know but two heavy chrome plated knobs and a couple of bits of sheet ally have tarted up the doors so that I no longer have to wince when I look at them. For me a job well worth doing.

Rik

Thread: Engineering Sights on Google Streetview
04/10/2020 16:51:18

"Don't know where it went."

It represents our historic past so its probably on the bottom of Bradford reservoir overflow.

Rik

04/10/2020 14:06:19

JA , this one is well worth a visit and still milling flour.

**LINK**

.........and by the roadside on the way up to Portland Heights.

**LINK**

There is another on Durdle Pier that used to lift fishing boats in and out

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 04/10/2020 14:09:30

Thread: Quick fix slot drill grinding
04/10/2020 12:24:22

Hope you are up and about soon.

Your lathe might not get up to grinding wheel speed. If it does though, you will need to clock the toolpost slightly of square so that the edges you grind only JUST cut on the outer points. Good luck and get well soon.

Rik

Thread: Rust and camphor
29/09/2020 17:56:24

Here's a bloke who backs up Mark C:

**LINK**

and this is where matey on Yahoo groups gets his camphor blocks:

**LINK**

An added bonus of using camphor is that it was used as a fumigant during outbreaks of the Black Death , I wonder if it would work with--------- oh well, just a thought.

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 29/09/2020 18:00:33

29/09/2020 13:36:34

I have just been reading some of the posts on an old yahoo group where one bloke prevents rust in enclosed spaces in his workshop by placing solid camphor in tool boxes cupboards etc.

Fortunately I don't have a rust problem but for them as do this might be of interest.

If YOU have tried this does it work or is it just a load of mothballs?

Rik

Thread: 3/16 Cast Iron Rod
28/09/2020 11:15:43

If I wanted cast iron that small I would find myself an old fire grate basket and turn down some of the bars.

Rik

Thread: Removing bang in self tappers
27/09/2020 17:30:28

As you might see from the picture the satin chrome on the dial is being scored by debris collecting under the primitive indicator window. I have already replaced the cross slide dial which was heavily marked but it was quite pricey and in order to avoid further expense I intend designing a "window" with a bit more clearance.

So to remove the existing windows I need to remove the two bang in self tappers that hold them in place. So what is the best way - and by the way, are these screws hard? If not maybe I could drill them out with a HSS drill?

Lathe is WARCO BH600G so either Chinese or Taiwanese.

Rik

dial.jpg

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
23/09/2020 10:58:29

I'm usually quite good at staying cheerful - then I read this thread kulou

Rik

Thread: Silver spoon? - or maybe not!
18/09/2020 17:48:15

Just to take a break from a drill sharpening session today I dug out a manky silvery desert spoon that came from a boot sale last year. I gave it a taste of my Solvol Autosol and here it is.

I don't think it is solid silver but that does not matter as what I would like to know is if anyone recognizes the hunting horn / arrow crest. This shape of horn is / was used by the German postal service and the single "D" that appears on the "assay" mark could indicate Deutchland.....could it?

Rikspoon.jpg

crest.jpg

assaymark.jpg

Thread: Are these stanchions?
10/09/2020 15:33:35

A nice chap I know deals part time in small item ironmongery. Occasionally he acquires BA threaded fittings which "nobody asks for these days" and gives them to me. This morning he gifted me a packet of 21 of these little things. They have been beautifully machined in stainless, length 7/10" and threaded 6 BA.

I would describe them as stanchions - am I correct?

Rik

rails.jpg

Thread: Best way to keep nuts tight (ha ha)
03/09/2020 17:15:29

I use Blu-tak.

Rik

Thread: Any idea what this is guys & gals
24/08/2020 17:26:27

"Perhaps it was left behind by a visiting flying saucer"

Or maybe it was left UP a behind by a visiting flying saucer - from Uranus?

Rik (ooh slap my wrist)

Thread: cylinder oiling drillings and Tangye mods
24/08/2020 13:29:24

Hello Tony - I am part way through the DT build. I will probably ignore EW's requirement for cylinder oilers and have either a displacement or mechanical lubricator on the steam input. Will have to look carefully at the unstarted valve eccentrics - the same with the governors or do as Jo does on another forum and replace them with a Pickering.

I agree with you on the convoluted crankshaft design setup, I think EW was an engineering sado masochist. I bet he cackled insanely as he draughted up THAT nightmare.

Rik

Thread: Computer Disaster! Help needed!
23/08/2020 14:26:22

Before you start ripping the guts out try booting from a recovery dvd / USB stick or if you have one, a Dell get you out of the crap disk. The idea being that if you can get booted into Safe Mode you might be able to do a non destructive System Restore. If you have none of the above media I can only suggest download this:

**LINK**

onto the device you are typing this post on and burn it to a disk / usb stick. Then try booting from IT

Rik

Thread: Workshop Equipment
21/08/2020 17:19:03

"As they are relatively inexpensive, resale values are correspondingly lower."

Neil – I replaced my WM 250 V some time aqo because of the flaky speed controller. The chap who bought it remarked to me on collection that he could not understand why this and other similar Asiatic imports held their price so well.

Just another blokes observation but it does seem to be at odds with your No.2.

But on another point. I think that folk are quite happy to recommend individual suppliers to the hobby on here but are less likely to gripe. Why? Free speech really could come at a cost if you end up in court.

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 21/08/2020 17:48:53

Thread: Good morning everyone
16/08/2020 09:36:33

Hello Paul and welcome back to civvy street. I'm sure you will get great pleasure from your growing workshop.

ATB

Rik - ex REME .

Thread: Are new model copper boilers soft?
10/08/2020 18:14:47

Thanks Paul - just the info I was looking for. It's as I suspected.

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 10/08/2020 18:16:57

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest