By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe tooling
13/01/2022 11:54:23

I have a Warco BH6000G which I believe is much the same as yours. I use a T1 QCTP which will take tools up to about 16mm high. I do not use smaller indexable tools simply because top quality inserts are more easily available on Ebay for the bigger tooling, sometimes at bargain prices. Not so generally for the smaller holders. I have 24 QCTP tool holders and I could still do with more.

Along with the 3 and four jaw chucks I also use an ER chuck and collets and a 5C collet chuck with collets (starts to get expensive no?)

Tooling list for your lathe? You have had a lathe before so you know that the list can be long or short depending on the depth of your pockets. If you are contemplating turning between centres you'll need a dead centre - 3 or 4 MT and a 5 - 3 or 4 MT adaptor because you cannot fit a full length 5MT taper in this lathes spindle. You'll also want a drive dog. I use my faceplate instead of a catch plate.

Have fun!

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 13/01/2022 11:59:25

Thread: An unpleasant nocturnal experience.
11/01/2022 18:07:56

We were "ratted" in the loft last year. The local hardware shop sold us these blocks. They have a hole through them so I was able to bang a nail through and into the boarded up flooring so the critters could not drag their dinner around. The hardware man told us the blocks would duff the rats and mummify them so we would not have to put up with the pong you normally get with the corpses. He was right on both counts. Thoroughly recommended.

Rik

ratbait.jpg

Thread: Just Finished, I think!
10/01/2022 16:59:08

Great workmanship David - congrats. Its upright here :

rightwayup.jpg

Thread: Middle of Lidl
30/12/2021 17:15:04

My local LIDL had piles of these drills in stock this afternoon so I conveniently forgot the lessons learnt in the past when buying far eastern tools (drills in particular) and "treated" myself to a box. Stupid, stupid stupid angry

I checked the quality when I got home. Even one of the two 10mm jobs had been ground so far of centre that it will only be usable on steel / brass after a regrind. I'll leave you to imagine the general standard of the rest in the box.

There will be those who say I should have checked the contents before buying and I would have done but the lids to all the boxes were secured with nylon cable ties.

Rik

Thread: Clive Sinclair
24/11/2021 12:25:43

My employer skipped my first PC which I subsequently liberated - I think it was an Altos with 2 x 5.25" floppy drives. 1 X disk with CP/M op. system and the other for data.

Next PC was fitted with a 10meg hard drive (sheer luxury) that sounded like agricultural machinery when running.

Then an Oric followed by a rubbery 16k Sinclair ZX .

A friend and I (he lived about three miles away) once sent each other messages using a RTTY prog on tape cassette from ZX spectrums and CB radios. It worked a treat. The local "good buddies" however were incandescent that someone out there was nattering and that they were unable to understand. What funteeth 2

Rik

Thread: Decent hacksaw blades
16/11/2021 17:09:00

Bit late for the OP but I bought a job lot of Rothenberger BiMetal blades at a boot sale about five years ago. The bloke who sold them told me I would not find a better blade. I am on the third one out of a bundle of thirty after all this time. I agree with him - they are the best I've ever used.

Rik

Thread: Solid Edge - Community Edition
14/11/2021 18:50:42

Thanks JohnH & IanT, Finally managed to download and install it but only after turning of Windows Defender Firewall. I thought I might have to upgrade to Win11 so run a MS requirement app. It informed me that my CPU was not suitable !!!!! I put this PC together thinking that I had a fair bit of age redundancy built in but it seems that Bill Gates has stopped my gallop.

Rik (peeved)

My DIY PC is:

AMD Z170-Gaming K3 MB

Intel Core i7-6700 @ 4.00GHz CPU

Internal Samsung M.2 2TB SSD

External Seagate 4TB HDD

32 GB RAM

AMD FirePro W7100 graphics card

14/11/2021 11:18:30

I made repeated efforts to download 2022 but each time the download failed. It was only when I clicked on "requirements" link I found that it will not install on my Win 10 home edition 64 bit.

**LINK**

Rik

Thread: Warco WM 16 motor
09/11/2021 10:44:20

My WM 16 gets very hot as well, I give it a few hours (or the next day) to cool down and get on with something else. The motor on my budget WARCO bandsaw is even worse. Just one slice with a new blade from a bar of 3" dia. steel reduces the motor to a near meltdown state. Again, I just give it time to cool down before another cut.

As there are no time and motion studies going on in my workshop or targets to aim for I just accept that stuff gets hot and put up with it. After all, if I were to try and hacksaw through a 3" bar of steel I would also get a little warm!

Rik

Thread: An Uninvited Guest!
26/10/2021 14:57:58

Could be black or white Bryony.

Rik

Thread: Microwave Oven
25/10/2021 18:31:16

"victims have been known to catch fire"

The mind boggles when contemplating the future technology of crematoria but I think this could be just the TING. hot

Rik

Thread: KLG Mystery Object.
18/10/2021 17:33:30

Electrical insulator.

Rik

Thread: Hi from the sunny south coast of Dorset
07/10/2021 11:46:10

Hello Jon

Hope you will find help/advice here as and when you seek it. Wife and I spent many happy years exploring around your beat while based in our static caravan at Bowleaze Cove. If I lived down there though your most beautiful part of the UK would easily be to much of a distraction for me and the workshop would have to take second placeface 21

Rik

Thread: Model of an epicyclic gear made by apprentices
04/10/2021 16:25:01

I grew up as a child in Queens Park (AKA Slopers Island), Bedford the home of WH Allens Queens Works where some of the best medium/heavy engineering in the world was crafted.

My little old granny from rural Wiltshire was tickled pink when she first saw the hundreds of workers bikes flooding into Ford End Road at dinner time (lunch was for toffs back in the 'fifties) and every working man in those days seemed to be wearing an old demob mac

My old mate Tab remembers his National Service time in the navy and the respect held for the reliability of Allens engines, turbines, gearboxes etc. He told me that when his ship was underway two armed guards were posted either side of the main gearbox hatch to prevent sabotage to the Allens made gear within.

Although the factory is no longer in Queens Park the spirit lingers on in Bedford where service engineers are still dispatched around the world to fettle Allens kit.

**LINK**

Thread: Tool Chest
03/10/2021 16:32:12

I liked the vid. The only time I ever repurposed pallets was when someone gave me a load when I was a young dad. I sawed the lot up and burnt it in the living room fireplace. Good job we never had a carpet back then because the stuff cracked, banged and spat sparks everywhere. A chippy where I was working told me it was probably poplar - "truly lethal in a fireplace" he said.

Rik

Thread: The most complex clock built in our lifetime
25/09/2021 17:29:01

I stand in awe at the skill and imagination of the maker/s. What a fantastic work of art ! I could no more criticise this clock than fart in church.

Rik

Thread: Soft floor and lathe...
21/09/2021 18:00:42

My workshop is what was once our garden studio. It is still a room and it is still in the garden but you get my drift OK? All timber construction with thick MDF flooring panels on sturdy timber bearers sitting on a concrete base. To further strengthen (and protect the decorative tiled original floor) the whole lot has been boarded out with T&G MDF floor panels.

Before my Warco BH600G moved in I bolted the sheet metal stand to a length of 1.5" thick kitchen worktop then the lathe was lowered on and bolted lightly.

When my friend and his men delivered the machine they found it easy enough to slide the whole heavy lot into its final position using the worktop as a skid. The skid remains bolted to the sheet metal base spreading the weight across the bearers.

I’ve used a couple of steel rods to brace the lathe to the workshop wall.

In the years I have used the machine accuracy has not been a problem but a “free floating” install such as this means I have to be mindful of the problems of out of balance set ups and speeds used before pressing “GO”. But it works for me!

Rik

Thread: Small bandsaw needed
19/09/2021 18:31:06

I've got the CY 90 and like John I get my blades from Tuffsaws in welsh Wales. I have made a few mods to the "vice" to get it to hold stuff better. My only gripe is that when cutting through large sections of steel the motor gets hot then hotter and finally very hot indeed. Its at this point I switch of to avoid spontaneous combustion and continue the next day when things have cooled down a bit.

Its a situation I can live with as I am not bashing metal for a living. I am pleased though that for all its faults it saves me having to suffer the pain of using a hacksaw!

Rik

Thread: Apple recipes
15/09/2021 02:36:43

Warm deep filled apple pie with a big dollop pf Cornish clotted cream - even tastier if scrumping is involved! These local blokes brew cider to die for.

Home Page (harroldcalvados.co.uk)

Thread: A machine used for what?
12/09/2021 11:17:21

Its in Southwold (Suffolk) museum and is identified as a sail makers sewing machine.

Rik (another creaky old antique) sad

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest