By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Digital Height Gauge Recommendations?
16/01/2021 13:41:03

I bought this 150mm digital unbranded version new and cased from a bloke standing behind a pasting table in the middle of a field one gloriously hot Sunday afternoon some years ago - £30 if I remember correctly. It is smooth, accurate, very reliable and a pleasure to use. It lives and works for most of the time on top of a 12" square granite inspection plate (another car boot acquisition) where used in conjunction with a box of older Matrix imperial slips I can - for instance - mark out in confidence without having to rely on my ropey old eyes.

I would recommend one with a carbide scribing jaw for obvious reasons and try and remember to turn the power of after use, that way the battery will last "forever".

Rik

height.jpg

Thread: Warco BH600 drive belts
10/01/2021 15:07:02

Hello George - belt from motor and spindle drive belt are the same. This is what is on my BH600G:

HANGCHANG

RECMF 8340

17X835 Li

If I ever need a belt I get mine from Bedford Bearings Ltd. 01234 271127 - they are my local experts.

Rik

Thread: Three Cylinder Steam Aero Engine
10/01/2021 11:39:35

John - I am quite sure I could rustle up some suitable bits for you FOC but even then I fear the postal charge to Canada would be uneconomical

Another glimpse of a 9" tall seven cylinder radial steamer in my small collection here:

**LINK**

and here:

**LINK**

Thanks to MichaelG for the book recommendation. I purchased it at the time.

Good work being done John – be nice to see it (flying?) when you have finished. teeth 2

Rik

Thread: 3 leg hone
29/12/2020 11:53:34

I have never used one but a place where I worked years ago did. With the hone fitted to a thing like a very large two handled electric drill the fitter would hone a bored cast iron cylinder to take a cast iron piston that I had ground for him. Pistons varied in size up to 7" diameter and 8" long. The point I would like to make though is that of all the fitters, only one of them had the knack of getting it REALLY right. A hot sweaty job in the summer, Pete certainly earned his wages doing that job. face 14

Rik

Thread: Mery Christmas Everybody
25/12/2020 13:20:14

‘Twas Christmas day in the workshop and all was peaceful and quiet

when the door caved in with a dreadful din and there stood Neil Wyatt.

“Seasons greetings” was his wish -  to us and all our dears

The same to you Neil from us lot “The Model Engineers”

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 25/12/2020 13:21:20

Thread: Dial Graduations
22/12/2020 17:31:35

Martin - I am doing something similar at the mo on a tiddly RECORD ML-10 lathe. A nicely made lathe apart from the graduated handwheel dials which are made from black plastic. I am remaking them in ally and the grads are being done in the lathe with a broken 6mm carbide cutter ground with a pointy end.

There are forty grads per dial and my luck was in when I found I could index from the first 40T spindle gear on my Warco lathe.

When I have done the grads I’ll need to do the numbers - “0” and “0.5” at 180 degrees to the zero. This will be done on my small ISEL CNC machine with the dials mounted on a stub mandrel and held in a 5C collet block.

The only problem here was that I do not have a 4th axis for rotary machining. I have overcome this by designing and making a small (6mm dia.) spring loaded drag engraving bit which I have tested on 2.5mm digits and it works a treat.

I need four dials to complete the job but I I’ll make five – one as a spare. That will be quite enough graduations for me for some time thank you very much. smile

Rik

Thread: On 'yer tod over Christmas?
20/12/2020 14:09:39

I’d never heard of the Silver Line until just now. I read the link and thought it might be of interest to some of you on here who live on their own and might not be exactly inundated with friends and family over the Christmas period. beer

**LINK**

Bottoms up.

Rik

Thread: Case hardening a part with tapped holes.
19/12/2020 11:37:12

The bloke in the heat treatment plant at the last place I earnt a crust used to stuff fire clay in the tapped holes to stop the threads from hardening.

Rik

Thread: Grizzly ? .......... not just a lathe.
17/12/2020 18:59:21

I first heard this many years ago and forgot who performed it. Having undertaken the task of unearthing a copy I was delighted to uncover a YouTube version this afternoon which for me had for so long been buried from sight. Hopefully this will help raise your spirits amid the rigours of our nationally imposed stiff disciplines.

**LINK**

Thread: Free inserts.
12/12/2020 13:50:15

Stephan, can I go into the hat please.

Rik

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
11/12/2020 14:32:18

I don't have one yet but I am waiting for the Sovol SV03 to become available then I'll treat myself. It will live in my study though as there is zero room left in the workshop (unless I screw it to the ceiling).

Rik

Thread: Glasses
02/12/2020 17:09:38

Like Buffer I wear specs but for closer work I use an Optivisor as well. Yes, the genuine Optivisor is a bit pricey but for me it was money very well spent.

Rik

Thread: 2021 - ME shows and all that
25/11/2020 17:46:49

Is it to much to hope that the jabs we are being promised to protect us against the pestilence will allow things to start getting back to normal next year? It would be lovely to contemplate a visit to a ME show or steam rally after emerging from "the bunker".

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I’ll bet I'm not the only one notenote

Thread: Ball ended handle - how to
22/11/2020 11:38:23

The last lot of ball ended handles I made were from silver steel rod and ball bearings thus:

Cut silver steel to length and thread as required at one end. The other end was first faced in the lathe and then dished with a ball end slot drill roughly the same diameter as the ball bearing.

Now take a tiny piece of silver solder and hammer it flat to produce a small “flake”. Place the flake on a piece of softwood and give it a whack or two with a hammer driven ball bearing. The aim is to produce a small dish. Pickle the silver steel hollow, ball bearing and solder “dish” in something like very warm / hot lemon juice for a half hour, dry all.

Next, grip silver steel rod in vice jaws vertically with the hollowed out end uppermost. Put a tiny amount of flux in the upward facing hollow and place dished flake on top. Apply a little more flux on top and gently push the ball bearing down on the lot.

I used a fine nozzle on my propane torch to heat it up. Try sitting down while you do it with your eyes level with the ball. Watch carefully and remove heat source when the ball moves slightly into its bed of molten silver solder.

Cool and polish – job done.

Others may do it differently, with paste for instance, but not having any I did it my waynote

Rik

side001small.jpg

With due acknowledgment to Harold Hall and his design at : Grind Rest, Advanced (homews.co.uk)

Edited By Rik Shaw on 22/11/2020 11:40:56

Thread: Wanted - cannot make the trip!
03/11/2020 16:57:05

Twice in the last couple of days I have tried to reply to the same chap in the "WANTED" classifieds and get the box that tells me that the message has been sent. However, if I look in my sent box there is no sign that I have messaged him.

This is the first time that this has happened ever. I've never had a problem before - any comments?

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 03/11/2020 16:59:45

Thread: Trunch Trojan
30/10/2020 10:55:05

Well done Arthur it looks good to me - and for a first project - VERY good. I hope you won't let the miserable "fixtures" criticisms delay the start of your second project. NIL CARBORUNDUM !

Rik

Thread: For the latest in PC fashion! (Anyone here with a Master's Degree?)
28/10/2020 14:46:21

VIZ was very good at lampooning this sort of posturing "wokeness" scrawled in the OP's link. Millie Tant  would have been proud of this bunch of prats.

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 28/10/2020 14:54:42

Thread: Medical needles
24/10/2020 18:52:45

I am down to my last two hyperdeemic nurdles and have found them very useful over the years. It had never occured to me to use one for sucking splinters - thanks Jim, much more precise than a solder sucker. You've got me thinking now about solder suckers and blackheads, would that work I wonder?

Rik

Thread: Digital readings
22/10/2020 10:12:39

Yes Maurice you are not on your own. I was weaned on imperial many years ago and see a clear mental picture in my head of what say .010" looks / feels like. Metric dimensions on the other hand form tangled balls of string between my ears until I reach for my calculator and convert them to imperial.

Rik

Thread: Help needed to identify a surface grinder
16/10/2020 17:21:27

I think what you might have there is a lash up between a bench drill, a milling machine and an eclipse magnetic chuck. Heath Robinson would have been proud of it but goodness knows what was going through the mind of the person who conceived of it. He seems to have aimed at making it machine portable as well - pity one of the wheels has fallen of !

Rik

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest