By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bench grinder wheel wobble
01/05/2021 10:30:08

I posted this about seven years ago:

**LINK**

Rik

Thread: Observations on mangling a DRO scale
26/04/2021 11:00:17

I had a redundant old hardened stainless steel DRO scale which I wanted to repurpose as a register strip on my small CNC mill. It needed a bit chopping of both ends and a slot machining at both ends for 6mm hold down screws.

To hard for a drill I used a 6mm solid carbide 3 flute milling cutter to drill a couple of holes at the first end. Using dripped soluble oil the cutter did a good job drilling through but objected violently when I tried to machine what was left between the holes to form a slot.

Screw holes abandoned and on to the shortening. I used an angle grinder mounted in one of those pivoted holders ( Aldi or Lidl ?) with a thin (1mm?) abrasive disc. First end cut of relatively easy but half way through the second end the disk stopped producing sparks and stopped cutting. Following some aggressive pushing and bouncing the wheel suddenly bit and started cutting again and then the second end was chopped of.

It was now I discovered that the thin inlaid printed strip was glued on and the heat had melted the glue so the end of the strip came away slightly from the scale. I fixed this by warming up the backside of the scale with a flame and lightly clamping in the vice. Job done apart from making small hold down clamps, one for each end.

I have posted this in case anyone is contemplating similar scale cruelty – it might save someone from a degree of experimentation.

Rik

Thread: Calling all Colchester Bantam owners.
25/04/2021 14:05:00

One of these was in an auction not a million miles from me yesterday. Co-incidence? I meant to log on and see what it made but I forgot.

Rik

Thread: First try with a 3D printer
14/04/2021 18:00:54

Thanks for the comment Neil, I eventually decided on the Dremel 3D45. Lots of £££'s I know but there's no pockets in shrouds is there?

Rik

14/04/2021 16:00:27

My first 3D printer sits on the desk and the question now is what to print first? I didn't need a plastic frog or any other pointless "thingy" but I did need a thread protector for my lathe spindle. Not having mastered any modelling software as yet I cheated and eventually found an .STL file online that I thought might be near enough.

This had been designed to fit a Logan lathe with a 2.25" x 8tpi thread, the same thread as my WARCO BH600G. The overall length was a bit short and the plain bore a little small but I thought that it might work.

And work it does. It screws on with a flick and jams tight as seen in the third pic - covering the threads and keeping them safe. Printed using eco-ABS filament.

Rik

threadprot001.jpg

threadprot003.jpg

threadprot002.jpg

Edited By Rik Shaw on 14/04/2021 16:05:07

Thread: Hauser watchmakers machinery
08/04/2021 11:07:20

Hello William - Back in the early seventies I was let loose on a brand new Hauser 3-SMO optical jig grinder. I used the machine over a number of years for grinding precision tooling to go with the companies products (dairy machinery). I was - and remain - a huge fan of the Hauser brand and am envious of your new acquisitions, well done!

As for paint, the 3-SMO was finished in a semi gloss battleship grey - very smart and understated.

Rik

Thread: Little nuts.......big fingers.
28/03/2021 19:23:07

Tim - I would find it most helpful if you could provide me with a link to your list.

Rik

28/03/2021 16:49:27

Having tried for far to long to get this 6BA nut started on its stud I gave up and asked my wife with her smaller fingers to have a go. She persevered for fifteen minutes or so but finally admitted defeat.

I tried a number of different methods including jamming the nut up a small piece of plastic pipe and using it as a flexible box spanner but the wall of the pipe was to thick and fouled on the raised rectangular sticky out thing on the casting.

The last thing I tried was to stick a piece of double sided tape to the end of a 40 thou feeler blade and stick the nut on the end. Now I was able to offer up the nut to the start of the stud thread. With the point of a scriber I gave the nut a twiddle or two and bingo, it went on.

I like it when things finally go right!

Rik

flange.jpg

feeler.jpg

Thread: Fake or real
26/03/2021 10:50:00

"I have no idea what it will be."

Me neither but my old tin hat is ready ------- just in case kulou

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 26/03/2021 10:51:53

Thread: Tea Spoons
23/03/2021 16:58:08

Dissolve some biological washing powder in a tea stained mug with hot water and manky spoons. Soak overnight and as if by magic...........!

Rik

Thread: Computer Update
23/03/2021 10:08:51

Peter - Not up with Linux but as a recommendation I get all my (and friends) stuff from here:

**LINK**

Their prices are competitive and I am sure they would be pleased to advise you re: Linux mint before buying.

No association just a pleased customer.

Rik

Thread: 3D printers, health concerns and nasty niffs.
18/03/2021 13:51:28

Having spent many hours researching which 3D printer to buy I read a quite scary article online yesterday which has made me have second thoughts about buying one at all.

**LINK**

So for those of you owners and users might I ask your opinions on the above article.

If I do decide to buy one it will be sited in a small spare upstairs bedroom adjacent to our main bedroom. With the small bedroom door shut will we experience burning plastic smells in OUR bedroom?

My printer of choice would be:

Flashforge 3D Printer Guider 2S

Chosen because of good reviews, good choice of different filaments (nylon and CF really interests me) enclosed and fitted with EPA filter.

I ditched the original choice of a Dremel3D45 because it seems to only perform well with its own (expensive) proprietary filaments.

Your comments will be much appreciated.

Rik

Thread: Graduating markings
13/03/2021 15:08:37

I engraved some dials for a little lathe a few weeks ago using this:

engravelathe.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised with the results which can be seen in my album "Record ML-10 lathe".

Rik

Thread: What does this thing do?
10/03/2021 11:05:22

So its a dovetail marking jig. Thanks for all the replies. Not surprised I was clueless - "brown" stuff does not float my boat!

Rik

09/03/2021 17:14:19

I have had this for so long I've forgotten what its purpose is. Any one........?

Rik

Its 2" x 1.5"

gauge.jpg

gauge002.jpg

Edited By Rik Shaw on 09/03/2021 17:16:50

Thread: Slip gauges from Banggood
02/03/2021 11:20:18

I have had no problems with new 123 blocks, V blocks etc from China via ArcEuro 1 or 2 tenths of a thou error here and there but more than good enough for general machining in my humble workshop. I would not be as confident though if I was chasing tenths on a surface grinder.

I did consider a set of slips from China but felt much more comfortable some years ago spending my loot on a nice set of second hand 1950's? Coventry Matrix imperial inspection grade slips from Ebay for about £60 if memory serves. For a number of years I have been keeping my eyes open for a set of (cheap) cages to go with them but no luck so far.

As for delivery times it will be interesting to see how long the magnetic V blocks ordered last week from India take to arrive.

Rik (Slip fan)

Thread: Dickson holder storage
24/02/2021 12:11:13

"I thought I could design something that I can screw to the wall"

So did I - I call it a shelf. teeth 2

Rik

qctpholders.jpg

Thread: Looking for 'the bomb in the workshop'
22/02/2021 17:01:47

Its been some weeks since the "bomb" thread put the wind up me. Today was the first day that I've turned my compresssor on since I read that thread but before it got anywhere near full I left it going, vacated the workshop and legged it back down to the house (Anderson shelter). Five minutes later and with the roof on the workshop still intact I ventured back. I will continue thus for the conceivable. embarrassed

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 22/02/2021 17:06:46

Thread: Making mild steel look like cast iron
21/02/2021 17:11:30

A bit of heavy duty sandblasting might do the trick if you can get it done locally.

Rik

Thread: Elliot 10m
20/02/2021 16:08:39

Hello Noel. I did look at the possibility of replacing the present pulley with a smaller one five or six years ago. I did not take any notes so memory will have to serve. Apart from that a bench loaded with approx 1/4 ton of kit is hard up against the belt side of the shaper at the mo preventing me from getting another look inside and providing you with pulley/belt/shaft dimensions

The existing pulley is just about as small as it could be while still working properly. Reducing the pulley diameter by 30% would mean that the bottom of the V belt would be uncomfortably close to the motor shaft OD. Not a good thing with such a chunky drive belt and the increased risk of belt slip. So I am quite sure that I would have looked at this possible solution years ago and dismissed it.

Rik

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest