By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Free Fusion360 subs ended
25/06/2022 11:22:08

I have had the free version of Fusion360 installed for a good while now - three years maybe. I have not used it for anything other than tutorials but when I went to use it a couple of days ago it tells me my free subscription has expired.

Its a good job I had not invested to much time in learning it because having the rug pulled like this would have stung badly.

Not sure which package to go for now. For my occasional use it would not make sense to spend to much. Free sounds good!

Rik crying

Thread: Blacking aluminium
16/06/2022 15:53:00

I need to machine a small part in aluminium 150mm long by 18mm diameter. After I've machined it I would like to blacken / blue it. As this will be a one off job I would prefer to do it on the cheap rather than spend my loot on a commercially available product. Can it be done a' la cheapskate?

Rik

Thread: Total cost + import for Tormach PCNC 440, and alternatives?
08/06/2022 19:29:32

Like Steve the OP I have an interest in CNC and would like to be let loose on a good quality machine of my own. I own a nice Isel machine but it does not have the grunt to machine steel.

Reading about another blokes experience though with his new Tormach will do for the mo and my thanks to Steve for bringing his book to my attention.

I have installed the Kindle app on my Android tablet and paid for the digital edition offered on Amazon. For an outlay of just £5.99 I am looking forward to reading how Steve did it his way!

Rik

Thread: Which lathe would this fit?
05/05/2022 13:35:02

I would like to finance the purchase of a new lathe part by selling this unwanted item:

Shop made aluminium faceplate (sacrificial plate?) 7.750" diameter. Lathe spindle thread is 1.5" diameter (measured with internal calipers) x 6TPI Whitworth.

I have spent a while googling but so far have been unable to find a lathe that this would fit. Anyone here have any ideas?

Rik

Thread: Sigh, practicing a skill I would rather not need
17/04/2022 18:29:49

I have found that you are more likely to break a tap if it is blunt. I use good quality British made HSS (Presto, Dormer etc) but even these get blunt eventually.

As for carbon steel jobbies - I would not give them house room even though some swear by them.

Rik

Thread: "Kiv" or Kiev?
31/03/2022 17:37:49

" The list is endless "

Around here we have :

Flitwick - pronounced Flitik

Cogenhoe pronounced Cookner

But my two favourites are English christian names - Featherstonhaugh and Cholmondeley pronounced Fanshaw and Chumley respectively.

Rik

Thread: Setting up a Warco BH600G
19/03/2022 18:35:10

Mike - My BH600G was sledged into position in my timber workshop bolted down onto a length of thick kitchen worktop. I have never fixed it to the floor so it remains freestanding but it IS braced to the wall with two strips of steel from the main casting. Its not perfect by a long way but I manage OK. It just means that I have to be a bit careful when I use a faceplate with an offset workpiece.

Nice to see you around again Geoff - keep well!

Rik

Thread: Tomato seed recommendation?
07/03/2022 14:46:33

I never had a greenhouse so used to grow outside. I grew these and found the sweet taste to my liking.

Tomato Outdoor Girl AGM Seeds | Quality Seeds from Sow Seeds Ltd

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 07/03/2022 14:47:27

Thread: stuff that came with my lathe ...
25/02/2022 15:40:37

I'd keep the lot unless you are desperate - why? Because all the extras make the lathe more valuable when you come to sell it. You don't intend selling it? Neither did I with my first one fifteen years ago but I am on my fourth right now.

Rik

Thread: windows live mail
24/02/2022 16:11:23

"being slow to show mail."

Me as well Clive thats why I use the BT email client which may or may not be an option for you . Also, all my emails from the French language forum GALAAD can be instantly translated using the BT job (right click). Live mail does not come with a simple translate option as far as I can see.

Rik

Thread: Songs about Engineering
23/02/2022 14:23:42

This haunting little refrain is sung to the REME marching tune - Lille Marlene.

Driving down the autobahn at 90 miles an hour

we are the creamy REME and we’re a ******* shower

we can't change up and we can't change down

the gearbox is in but it's upside down

Early Monday morning our workshops’ on parade

The ASM is singing the donkey serenade

Some stupid b*******d shouts "eyes right"

You should have seen the ******* sight

Rik - 6 Platoon, Depot REME 1964

Thread: I am getting shorter - how about you.
09/02/2022 17:35:00

I must be getting taller because I can't see the ground as well as I did. I've not been able to bend to put socks on for years so I wear crocs/no socks unless we have to go "posh" (infrequently). Only then does m'lady insist on socks and shoes which she puts on for me, she also keeps a hanky in her bag for when I dribble heart

Rik

Thread: Hermes and couriers
08/02/2022 17:51:45

Ordered a small tin of paint for latest model on Jan 1st. Item despatched on Jan 4th. It was delivered by Hermes yesterday 7th Feb.

During that time I might have sickened of the palsy, expired, lain in state, been buried and already pushing up daisies but because Hermes is the only Olympian capable of crossing the border between the living and the dead I expect I might have got me paint anyway!

Rik

Thread: Workbench top
26/01/2022 15:20:02

My worktop benches are a light sandy colour. I tried black which does not show dirt but small parts are much more visible with the light colour worktops. Fence posts make good legs!

Rik

Thread: Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition 2022
20/01/2022 19:05:32

Going by what chaps have posted here the MME is on. Good, we like this one. The other venue of choice is Great Dorset Steam Fair but will it go ahead?

Rik

Thread: Slip gauge question.
17/01/2022 12:10:41

The condition of my slips were suffering a little when I acquired them as well but I treated them to a little bit of brasso on one of those green washing up pads and that made them look a lot better. As for accuracy after such treatment?

Unless you are doing a lot of high precision grinding / lapping you need not worry. All you want now is a nice vernier height gauge to make your slips so much more useful as long as they are not jammed in the T slots on the milling table embarrassed.

Rik

Thread: Lathe tooling
13/01/2022 11:54:23

I have a Warco BH6000G which I believe is much the same as yours. I use a T1 QCTP which will take tools up to about 16mm high. I do not use smaller indexable tools simply because top quality inserts are more easily available on Ebay for the bigger tooling, sometimes at bargain prices. Not so generally for the smaller holders. I have 24 QCTP tool holders and I could still do with more.

Along with the 3 and four jaw chucks I also use an ER chuck and collets and a 5C collet chuck with collets (starts to get expensive no?)

Tooling list for your lathe? You have had a lathe before so you know that the list can be long or short depending on the depth of your pockets. If you are contemplating turning between centres you'll need a dead centre - 3 or 4 MT and a 5 - 3 or 4 MT adaptor because you cannot fit a full length 5MT taper in this lathes spindle. You'll also want a drive dog. I use my faceplate instead of a catch plate.

Have fun!

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 13/01/2022 11:59:25

Thread: An unpleasant nocturnal experience.
11/01/2022 18:07:56

We were "ratted" in the loft last year. The local hardware shop sold us these blocks. They have a hole through them so I was able to bang a nail through and into the boarded up flooring so the critters could not drag their dinner around. The hardware man told us the blocks would duff the rats and mummify them so we would not have to put up with the pong you normally get with the corpses. He was right on both counts. Thoroughly recommended.

Rik

ratbait.jpg

Thread: Just Finished, I think!
10/01/2022 16:59:08

Great workmanship David - congrats. Its upright here :

rightwayup.jpg

Thread: Middle of Lidl
30/12/2021 17:15:04

My local LIDL had piles of these drills in stock this afternoon so I conveniently forgot the lessons learnt in the past when buying far eastern tools (drills in particular) and "treated" myself to a box. Stupid, stupid stupid angry

I checked the quality when I got home. Even one of the two 10mm jobs had been ground so far of centre that it will only be usable on steel / brass after a regrind. I'll leave you to imagine the general standard of the rest in the box.

There will be those who say I should have checked the contents before buying and I would have done but the lids to all the boxes were secured with nylon cable ties.

Rik

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest