By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Door knob collar
16/05/2019 19:12:01

As we are on door knobs may I chuck my three penn'orth in. Some years ago I found myself in a field near Yeovil on a Sunday afternoon and bought a lovely old lead crystal inkwell from a bloke standing behind a pasting table.

001.jpg

It was incomplete and only carried a hinged collar thus:

002.jpg

In position it looked like this:

003.jpg

I wanted to make it look something like it should have been originally so I fettled an eight ounce brass scale weight on't lathe and got this:

004.jpg

005.jpg

which sits in the collar so:

006.jpg

The brass door knob was next for butchery and ended up like this:

007.jpg

008.jpg

The end result here:

final.jpg

The job is not yet finished as inspired by a recent thread on silver plating brass etc . I intend to silver the brass parts. The object of the exercise is not to deceive but merely to show what an old bloke in his shed gets up to when trying to avoid doing housework and stuff!

Thread: Result - the 2019 Stevenson Trophy
13/05/2019 08:52:42

A pat on the back for you Mike thumbs up

Rik

Thread: Oil, lubricating the lathe
10/05/2019 11:24:58

I buy any old motor oil from my benevolent boot on a Sunday morning as long as it is cheap.

Rik

Thread: Turning Cast Iron question - Health & Cleaning Up
06/05/2019 09:55:44

I always wipe down the lathe to get rid of oil before starting with CI. I use an industrial vac afterwards and relube the ways. What fine dust that gets under the ways will mix with the oil and form a nice graphited lubrication medium. I use face masks of the surgical type - 50 for a fiver or so from ebay.

The bit that gets blackest though is the soles of my feet because my workshop foot ware of choice is a pair of old and thick crocs worn with no socks (I suffer from hot feet). Many is the time that lumps of heavy metal have bounced of these ugly old things and saved my tootsies.

After the jobs done its a shower and clean clobber. Wife has installed one of those plastic shower mats that is covered in plastic bristles which makes short work of purifying the soles of the unclean.

Rik

Thread: Doncaster ME show 2019
29/04/2019 16:50:43

Looking forward to the show on the Sunday but surprised to be told when making a purchase this afternoon that WARCO will not have a stand this year. sad

Thread: Homeworkshop login problem
25/04/2019 17:37:32

Good work Adam. Your server has now accepted my email address and hopefully my registration will  be successful - thank you.

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 25/04/2019 17:38:16

24/04/2019 10:20:32

I gave up trying to register with Home Workshop a long time ago as it will not accept either of my two BT email addresses or my gmail email address. So sad.

Rik

Thread: Cheap DRO for Mill
23/04/2019 18:20:13

I've had the cheap oriental stuff on my mill for some years now. In the beginning I found that the XY readout positions were very, very unreliable and kept jumping erratically. One minute I'd be at 2.250" and the next, and without moving the axis, I'd be at 6.090" say. After much probing and experimenting I could not discover the cause but I DID suspect that the DRO strips were being affected by stray lectric stuff.

I uninstalled the steel DRO scales and reinstalled them on blocks of PVC completely isolating them from the mill castings.

Did it work? I’ve not had a problem since! So I think that for the average hobbyist these cheapo scales are OK given the aforementioned problem and solution.

While we are here, I find that the XY display eats its lithium cells if I forget to turn the display of (which is more often than not).

Rik

Thread: Casting resurrection and soldering on
21/04/2019 18:11:36

Thanks Jason . It never occured to me that JB would stick a strip of metal to a casting, I've only ever used it for filling blowholes. I'll try it tomorrow and let it cure a few days before machining.

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 21/04/2019 18:14:55

21/04/2019 17:28:07

On the second hand and part machined casting set I am working on at the mo someone has machined one side of a steam chest about 1.5 mm to small effectively scrapping the poor thing. Rather than spend +£10 on a replacement casting I thought that tomorrow I will try and breath new life into it by soldering a strip of sheet metal on and re-machining it.

The simplest option open to me is to maybe use some of this which I have a pot of:

**LINK**

Not sure if it will be fit for purpose though given that it needs to bond steel to cast iron and it says nothing about using flux on the lid.

Has anyone tried doing anything similar using this stuff?

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 21/04/2019 17:29:05

Thread: Hi from Bedford
18/04/2019 17:25:36

John - Re: your gear. I have had a look online and if I remember correctly my 80 tooth gear was supplied by:

https://www.gearsandsprockets.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

Rik

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
17/04/2019 10:07:45

I have a set. I do not find them "fiddly". I use them on a regular basis. Very good value for money. +1 for David George technique - I do the same.

Rik

Thread: Poor finish using indexable lathe tools on steel
16/04/2019 11:26:36

That tool is stuck out way to far. Bring it back inboard till the shoulder behind the insert is level with the toolpost and have another go.

Rik

Thread: Dialect expressions
13/04/2019 14:33:12

Around here "a young old boy" refers to someone who is the same age or younger than yourself.

I int a'gewing = I am not going

Wurny = Wasn't he

A mistake = A Bedfordshire clanger ( and if you have ever eaten one you might know what I mean) laugh

Rik

Thread: Hi from Bedford
12/04/2019 11:14:50

Hello John - nice to see another neighbour on the forum. I needed an 80 tooth gear for my newly acquired lathe about a year ago but as gear making is not something I yearn to learn I bought a ready made job and customized it to suit. It was something between £30 - £36 but I have mislaid the delivery note and cannot remember the name of the company who supplied it.

I went to the DERA auction at Thurleigh when things came to an end. I remember parking the car on the scorching hot concrete apron and being amazed at the width of the never ending runway disappearing over the horizon.

I also recall dad teaching mum to drive at the Tempsford airfield before all the concrete was dug up. As you know we had more than our fair share of WW2 air bases in this small area the history of which makes for interesting reading as in for instance "The Bedford Triangle".

Rik

Thread: Folding Bike design & build
09/04/2019 17:43:54

Lovely piece of design Allan - well done. What does it weigh?

Rik

Thread: Ebay - BIN watchers
08/04/2019 16:57:00

"Why do people want to watch - is it just curiosity ?"

There must be lots of reasons. My main reason for doing it apart from wanting to buy it is to find out the potential value of my gear . lts also a good way of bookmarking similar BIN items when looking for a good price.- shopping around as it were.

Rik

Thread: Bread Board Wire
07/04/2019 09:25:19

I have not used my breadboard in thirty years since I made my first metal detector. I used to strip the thin multi coloured wires from telephone cable and solder a Veropin on each end - very handy those colours when identifying what goes where!

Rik

Thread: Soft Feel Finish on Radio
01/04/2019 15:13:44

I used to own an early digital SLR camera and the rubber hand grip became sticky. I tried all sorts without success until finally the problem went away. (Thank you Ebay)

Rik

Thread: Tap and Die
29/03/2019 09:38:20

I have drawn a blank on that size - perhaps it is a special. These people will make specials in 24 hours but I suspect the price will make your eyes water.

Rik

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale May 19
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest