By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rik Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Rik Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Exploding Grinding Wheel
30/06/2020 00:41:42

John in a toolroom where I worked many years ago was grinding a 9" diameter shaft between centres when it came adrift and jammed under the grinding wheel. I never saw it happen but being only 15 or so feet away the bang as the wheel shattered was quite impressive. Fortunately Jones & Shipman had anticipated such events and the fully enclosed wheel guard contained all the bits - as did Johns trousers!

Rik

Thread: Indian stationary engine of interest to Martin Perman ?
28/06/2020 18:33:25

Knowing that Martin likes his stationary engines I wondered if he would be interested in this one!

**LINK**

Thread: The cost of cheap (Free) materials
22/06/2020 17:32:34

My steel / iron stock of known flavours would probably weigh in at a ton or more but my first port of call for a new job is invariably the four large hoppers of scrap under one of the benches. I get a kick out of turning a rusty lump of tat into a useful tool or model part. For me it is all part of the pleasure !

Rik (eying up a sash weight for the pair of pistons I need) .

Thread: Pesky Government Announcement!
17/06/2020 16:59:31

I have listened to Classic FM in the workshop for years but the LV adverts drive me to distraction, no more though. My new DAB radio was delivered yesterday and it can pick up Scala Radio teeth 2. As there is no available space for the radio it's hanging from the roof by luvverly silver chains. Simply suspended sublime sounds note note

Rik......pass the bong please.

Thread: Mag scales and steel screws?
13/06/2020 15:07:50

Hello Bill - I fitted my scales by following the instructions. The readout was very unreliable as the co-ordinates on the XY readout would jump about from one reading to another.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that stray electrical "noise" was the cause. The cure was simple and has been very effective with no problems since.

Fitting plastic / nylon blocks at each end of the scales isolated them from the main body of the mill - Bob's 'yer uncle !

Rik

scaleinsulator002.jpg

scaleinsulator001.jpg

Edited By Rik Shaw on 13/06/2020 15:09:24

Thread: Storage of files
12/06/2020 10:39:40

Files ordinaire live here:

filesdraw.jpg

Tiny ones here:

filestiny.jpg

Best Vallorbe Swiss here:

filesvall.jpg

All the diamond files are in a box and I can't find it but at least THEY are organized !

Rik

Thread: Drilling very long holes
12/06/2020 00:43:30

Not cheap but this should do the job if drilled from both ends. Alternatively, I have seen precision tubing that would be a better bet. Depending on the OD of your spindle you may / may not have to turn down the OD.

Rik

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-Gun-Drill-Carbide-Tipped-16mm-Shank-6mm-x-180mm-x-230mm-SVIK-428-9-06-GS26/264651957407?hash=item3d9e7c649f:g:nUcAAOSwxaNeSuht

Edited By Rik Shaw on 12/06/2020 00:44:11

Thread: Model Engineer Back Issue
10/06/2020 14:20:30

See Reeves website for issues:

**LINK**

Rik

Thread: Travelling microsteady
10/06/2020 10:21:20

Thanks Hopper but not my design by any means just my take on it. A version by Stew of Potty Engineering gave me the idea. Someone else had incorporated a mic head into their version and as I had one laying around I did the same.

Rik

09/06/2020 18:48:23

A tool worth making I thought. So I did !

microsteady01.jpg

microsteady002.jpg

microsteady004.jpg

.............and it works here!

**LINK**

Thread: Worried
26/09/2019 10:50:10

“Best place for Imperial is in a museum

My workshop is a museum? I quite like that and take it as a compliment.

Rik (73 and no.1 exhibit in my main gallery. Not yet mummified but a little dry and stiff.)

Thread: primus blowtorch
24/09/2019 18:21:45

“Have you tried using an airline?

Avoid Thomas Cook. EasyJet might be worth a try though .

Rik

Thread: PC problem #2
23/09/2019 15:05:43

Before further expense, check BIOS to see if you have accidentally disturbed settings for the motherboard WIFI slot. If BIOS = OK then next thing to do is get access to the flat cable going from the screen to the motherboard. Flip the retaining clips on motherboard and re-seat the cable. Check cable for splits/cracks while you are at it.

Good luck

Rik

Edited By Rik Shaw on 23/09/2019 15:07:04

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
11/09/2019 18:01:51

Today, we outward bound to a grey, bleak but magnificent Dungeness. After a brief stop we returned to Hythe station behind this gleaming beauty.

northernchief.jpg

Rik

Thread: Are there any left?
10/09/2019 10:19:59

Tottenham Court road was mostly hi-fi kit by the time I got there years ago.

There used to be a very interesting surplus/junk/treasure shop near Weymouth town bridge sadly now a Spa grocery.

In the 'fifties I used to love a good shufti after school round Cooks of Bedford for the surplus stuff, that's when they were located on the opposite side of the road to Mr.Horsenail the herbalist. Cooks have survived and flourish although these days are suppliers - among other things - of engineering tooling of the new and sparkly kind.

I used to love surplus now I am one!

Rik

Thread: Bonhams Link
08/09/2019 12:01:31

"Mis-assembled?"

No - its an eccentrics crank! (Or maybe a cranky eccentric).

07/09/2019 18:43:29

I'm really pleased that Rowland Emmets "A Quiet Afternoon in the Cloud Cuckoo Valley" sculpture was withdrawn from the auction and sold to the National Railway Museum.

**LINK**

Rik

Thread: Help what is a fair price
05/09/2019 13:22:49

John - One (with bits) sold on ebay in August for £250.

Rik

Thread: Finished my beam engine.
06/08/2019 23:01:30

Malc - a fair price is one that you will score on an average ebay auction. To maximise your "win" a nice base would score points. Try it with a reserve that is acceptable to yourself.

" Can any of you give me any idea of a fair price?" No, but the bidders on ebay will!

Rik

Thread: Upgrading to fibre optic broadband
01/08/2019 00:29:01

Robin -Just to give you an idea, here in our village we are on FTTC and get about 56Mb/s download speed when the wind is in the right direction. Viewing the odd YouTube vid is as much strain as we ever put on the system and the lack of buffering is lush. We have used different providers in the past but have found that when things go belly up they blame BT - and of course, BT blame them. So we KISS and stick with BT.

Rik

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest