By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Castle

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Castle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Problem identifying a thread
04/01/2014 18:18:00

Well done Ian. Brilliant. Just checked and it is a 2-start thread. Something I never considered.

Can't even begin to think of what that means if I want to make one! Will have to think about it.

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers

Dave

04/01/2014 16:55:52

Mmm........... This doesn't seem to be working.

I have now got the taps and dies. I have made 3/8x16 UNC and BSW females and neither of them fit. So am scratching my head again. I rechecked the dimensions and it still looks like the M10x1.5 is closest. So I made a nut with my M10x1.5 tap in an oversize 9mm pilot hole and even that wouldn't fit.

I have emailed Gitzo and asked them what thread they put on the tripod head.

Have also made some photos to show the thread and the handle I want to replace and how the Metric and UNC taps mesh with the male thread. The mesh with the BSW is no better than the UNC. I must be missing something.

My thanks for the additional information from Harry and others. I will let you know how things progress.

Dave

thread01.jpg

thread02.jpg

29/12/2013 21:12:39

Barry and Michael,

I am interested to use this as an opportunity to experiment and learn something about threads and how to make them. So I have ordered taps and dies for 3/8 BSW and UNC so will have a play. I am a bit new to this but I have got to start somewhere. My reference is Drills, Taps and Dies by Tubal Cain. From Barry's research I am expecting the UNC thread to do the job.

I am amazed at the time and effort you Guys have given me. Thank you.

Dave (I am in Worcestershire)

29/12/2013 18:17:57

Thanks for the link Jason. The 3/8 x16 UNC thread is very close to the metric. May be a case of so near and yet so far. I had not realised how many threads there were or how close some of the dimensions are. Have to start learning sometime.

Michael, the head is a Gitzo GS5120LVL about 10 years old.

Thanks for your prompt and useful replies.

Dave

29/12/2013 16:34:43

New to the Forum and to proper engineering. I need some advice please.

I do a bit of photography and have a tripod head I want to modify. The head has a clamping handle with a female thread which screws onto a fixed stud. I want to make another handle so need to make a new female part to fit the existing stud.

I think the thread is metric M10x1.5. I have a set of metric taps and dyes and the 1.5 thread checker fits the male stud perfectly. A piece of M10 all-thread fits the stud like a glove. Angle, pitch and thread depth all match. The major diameter of the stud and the all-thread are both 9.7mm.

But...an M10 nut that fits the all-thread won't fit the stud and the all-thread won't fit the female thread in the handle. It's not that they are a poor fit, they won't even start. I have wiggled and wangled to no avail. I am stuck. Any ideas on what is happening and what I should do next?

Many thanks.
Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest