By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for clogs

Here is a list of all the postings clogs has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: For those who live in the country
19/03/2022 11:11:01

went out last week.....

Diesel fuel was 1,95 euro's per lit

95 petrol............2.15 " "

heating oil..........1,65 " "

Thread: Hi from Naples italy
02/03/2022 15:42:15

Not an ML7 but have changed oil the oilers on my S7 for proper oilers....

the original lube system even with a good oil gun leaves a lot to be desired....I'm sure theres a nipple (see below) that will be a close enough fit....

those hard to reach ones around the compound lide etc have been taken away and the holes are covered with those modern super magnetic discs.....so now flood oiling is the name of the game.....

A couple of oilers used on my other lathe are converted 45deg grease nipples....kept the body of the nipple and turned little pots and lids from a bit of brass.......just fill em once or twice a day.....lovely oil seepage can be seen after a min or two.....my bigger lathe has it's own coolant /suds system which will be filled with 46 grade Hydraulic oil when reinstated unless someone out there has a better product........ none of that water based milk anymore.....

Thread: At last : Some intelligent engineering to mitigate a climate problem
02/03/2022 15:29:34

I used to live there nearly 50 years ago (Calif) and they were compaining about water evap losses then.....

just how many millions of gallons of precious water has been lost.....Regardless of cost it needs to be done.....

theres a lot of unemployment there so plenty of labour....

no prob for wildlife just raise it off the wall a foot....

besides other than scorpions n snakes there aint much wild life and the Hippy's have grown old n left...hahaha....

Solar panels should be copulsory thoughout the western style world where houses should face south where poss.....

lastly.....

when I lived in sunny SW France the quote for materials only for a 200ltr hot water array was over €4000 almost 20 years ago....extra lab €1500 min subjected to a survey....

mine came complete from Israel for a grand.....

the same thing in Greece......is a little over €1200 for the same thing......90% of houses have them fitted.....

At that kinda money even in the UK with it's rubbish weather it wont take long to get ur money bake....Promise...

Thread: Motorbike gearbox fitted to a milling machine
07/02/2022 17:14:39

dump the oil and use an axle grease...HIgh metling point will be ok.....

remember thats all that lubs 4-9inch angle grinders.........

Thread: How to keep Paint Fresh?
29/01/2022 16:21:56

Thor has the right idea.....

where I live now it's plus 30 C for most of the summer.....often up to 40......

I do as he says and it works for me......plus I have a metal cupboard thats used for storage of paint plus it's in a very dark corner of the shop where its cool'ish..........

Thread: Can't disassemble drill chuck
26/01/2022 16:08:15

on the same subject, well almost....

I have a 90degree Hitachi mains powered drilling machine...

lent it to someone who was a friend but no longer and he's busted the teeth on the chuck....I have secured a big allen key in the chuck and belted it with a huge copper mallet to try and unscrew it to no avail......dont want to damage the crown wheel drive by hitting it any harder.....

any suggestions other than sending it for repair and replacement chuck......

similar thing, any pref of a make of self tightening chucks other than the £100 jobbies...dont mind if they come from Poland etc....even Chinese if they come recomended......

I need at least 3 for different machines....

many thanks....

Thread: Workbench top
26/01/2022 15:27:18

I quite like just plain ol MDF, looks great after a while when the oil get soaked in......

My mobile grinder/sharpening set up is 750mmx1.5m, it has a formica top for easy clean....

I also have an 8x4x8mm steel plate workbench for welding and marking out life size......

plus the same size with a 3/4 plywood top for asembly purps.....

luckily all my machines are full size and on their own feet....and not bolted down either.....

Thread: Scheppach Bandsaw Portable
23/01/2022 14:54:04

all sounds a bit risky.....different if it was an expensive metal....

the vice looks a bit flimsey for short overhang use....

a one off perhaps but not a reg job....

how much is a new blade when it all gets tangled up....?

I reg cut up 6inch round bar and bigger on a big band saw and accept the last little bit as waste (or used in the lathe)....

Thread: Items which gave most satisfaction to make
08/01/2022 15:28:26

Ramon Wilson, that boat is almost to nice to get wet....

Mick B1, I rather like ur Dodo.....

Mr Duffer, managed to escape that pleasure "having my own" but help'd bring up somebody else's.....

Thread: Collet Choice
06/01/2022 16:24:37

I bought the ER collet, set ER42?...

they are so useful in both mills and the bigger lathe....money well spent I'd say.....

Thread: Tailstock cuck, keyless or not?
05/01/2022 15:48:11

I will alway use decent Jacobs keyed chucks...in lathes and mills..

never had any luck with keyless.....

but I do have one of my bench drills with a keyless chuck....

but all the drill bits used in it I have milled 3 flats on the shank.....so no probs with turning bits....

this machine is just used for rough drilling ......I make a lot of dog kennals and most of the frames are bolted together.....ie...10mm holes for 8mm bolts....

Thread: Lidll
03/01/2022 16:47:16

as my Hitachi battery stuff dies I now buy Milwukee...expensive but prof qual....18v fuel.....

I just bought the 1/2 nut gun, already having the 3/8's model.....

Mine came from Germany at around 1/2 the UK price.....

so u can have the best for a good price if u shop around.....

Shame we cant buy their stuff at American prices....blxxxx government........

Thread: Pin-hole in oil pan - which product to patch it?
03/01/2022 16:37:00

I have a similar prob...the HYD oil tank is leaking on my forklift.....a large crack where the engine mopuntig braked is welded on to the tank side....

to repair it prop the engine needs to come out.....grrrrrrr....

I used a Polyurethene sealant and a metal patch plate.....is's a bit like Silicone but much better....

cleaned everything off with spray brake cleaner.....

then a dollop, tech term, on the patch plate and slapped it on....

been there for 2 years now and not leaking........

Thread: Slightly large lathe
02/01/2022 07:44:03

I have a Super 7 with a thread cutting g/box plus a really sweet Colchester student Square head......

very happy with both....

Dont get to hooked up on who's bigger lathe u get....more important to find one thats not a junker....

Thread: Is there too much choice?
02/01/2022 07:40:26

Peter G....

well, we have lived outside the UK for almost 25 years now......

Mostley France but now Crete,

you have to understand that starting a DD in France is easy but stopping one is a nightmare.....

The company has the right to keep taking ur money until u've jumped thru all the hoops and this can take months....

then u actually never get the overpayment back.....

god knows how the poor French get on with it all......

perhaps thats why they are so miserable.....hahaha...

they only accept instruction from u via a registered letter and other oddaties.....to long a list....

for example...

we closed the water bill down the proper way, then actually actually tried to stop the water comp taking more money from us so in the end we closed the bank account down with the min of 25euro's needed.....and just let em take it.....

actually it was cheaper than all the extra registered deliv letters, on top of those we sent allready.....

Banks are useless and u think u have it bad in the UK....

A lot better here tho......

when a bill comes thru it has a special code number on it.....

so u go to the hole in the wall....dial in the number and state the amount..press the green button.....job done......

this way she say's she can keep control.....!!!!!

It'd be highly unlikely that we would change our phone or internet suppliers and the electric comp is a monopoly so where's the problem I say....?????

another odd one......we have 2 water supplies, domestic and agriclutural......

one you pay the water board via the hole in the wall and the other u pay the local council at the town hall in cash.....

no cheques or bank cards accepted.....strange or what......

it does keep the brain cells moving tho tho......hahaha...

It's just we had so many probs in France it messed with her head....

lastly a joke......

Whats the best thing about France....

the sign that says u are now leaving FR.......hahaha.....

we drove here, what a pleasure to cross the border into Spain....pre brexit.....can u say that word here.....hahaha...

Thread: Running 'nukes' in the red
02/01/2022 07:06:44

does anyone know.....?

lets say overnight all gas supplies dried up......

we have enough power supply, wind Nuc etc.....just dreaming......

can the grid actually carry the load without melting.....?

plus,

I'm sure a lot of houses would have to be rewired if that were the case....

might also be a good excuse for household to have 3 phase.....what a boon that would be to our hobby......

Thread: Is there too much choice?
01/01/2022 15:50:56

we only have a mobile phone now...actually 3......

as for the internet it's by Satelite......2 seperate systems........

We're rural so the gas cooker is propane....

Central heating, has a duel fuel boiler, we use wood sourced locally....

will not give extra money to the tent dwellers of this world......

Car n house plus public liability ins is by our local broker....

Hardest thing about it all, my wife will not use a direct debit which would make easyier...Dohhhh

Thread: Tolerance
01/01/2022 15:28:19

all depends if the spring eyes are open or shut......

I would guess they are the open sort.....I would say .25 -.5 of a mill would be enough..per inch of diam.....

subject to wall thickness.....

if the wall is thin it will alter the size of the hole......

most spring bushes of modern decent were made so that once pressed in they ended up the correct ID size.....

In the old days they were roughed out and reamed once fitted....

also be careful that the eye is prop round.....if the tail of the spring is not prop formed it can distort the bush....

look at the old bushing for extra marks where the spring eye ends....often a big gouge mark....

Thread: Running 'nukes' in the red
01/01/2022 15:20:07

Nearby to our house in France there was a Nuc powerstation.....always had power cuts and needing a stand by Genny....

every house, factory should at the min have a solar water heater.....and compulsary on any new prop where the roof is suitable.......all systems/parts should be VAT FREE...........

I've had em in the last 2 houses I've owned and saved a load of money....

I wonder'd why in SW France there were so few.....

after I enquired it seems the French seemed to think that a price of more than double the cost on average to everywhere else is OK.....I bought mine in the UK.....

I wish I had enough funds to get the Photo voltaic system for my roof so that I could go off grid.....

but I need three phase.....

Thread: Do you "still" enjoy driving?
30/12/2021 16:26:15

Mr Duffer,

that just about sums up all the pick up drivers here in Crete......

plus, often with a fag, a coffee and a phone on the go......

I dont drive much anymore.....which is nice....

Can't wait untill my Indians are finished....I'll never be at home....hahaha...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest