By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for clogs

Here is a list of all the postings clogs has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Impressive Workshop in Germany
15/04/2019 07:06:47

start em young, lucky lad.....

it's just a shame that for most of us we have to have 1 foot in a coffin to have something like that.......

oh, and a smaller shed........hahaha.....

said it before, when my turn comes all my machines will be gifted to a young person who I'll help train....

just to set him up for life......

clogs

Thread: Crete
13/04/2019 06:20:32

Are there any memebers witrh family or friends that live in Crete.....

have a few questions to ask on purchasing items.......non household....

thanks

Thread: Odd bolt size
01/04/2019 06:18:23

repaired a Chinese motor scooter no so long ago and quite a few of the nuts and bolts had 5 corners around the engine and ancilleries.....

standard threads tho.....everything got replaced with Stainess..

had fun getting the seized fixings undone......hahaha.........well funny now........

Thread: Tangential tools ?
13/03/2019 08:20:55

Neil Lickfold

can u give us the link to this MDT tool...what I found was what looked like a home made spade bit....!!!!!

be interesting to look at.....

Thread: LED lighting
08/03/2019 07:08:42

Duncan......

how do u know all this stuff.......?

have enough trouble trying to find LED strip lamps at a decent price.......hahaha

all credit to ya........

Thread: Hoover bags
08/03/2019 07:06:04

or just get another Lidl wet vac......at €40's.....simples....

we have 4,

1 for the house, 3 Border Collies

1 for the kennels

and 2 in the workshops......

Thread: Laptop batteries
08/03/2019 07:02:50

Michael

perhaps not quite what u want but there are very good power packs out there trhat will power up Phones and note pads with ease.......

mine is rechargable via USB....from the car, desk top etc....mine is an early 1 but now they have super capacity...

very handy on trips they can also recharge the TOM-TOM as well.....be lost without mine...pun intended...hahaha...

also just installed a double domestic switched socket with 2 USB charger sockets built in....£20......

make life so much easier in the kitchen.....

need to bite the bullet and bin the obsolete chargers.....scary.......hahah.....

it'll be a while before I can afford replacements for all the electricals so thay can be charged by a proximity charger...

no wires at all just leave ur device near the charger.....

clogs

Thread: Boxford machinery auction
21/02/2019 19:44:49

didn't Siemens or similar buy up Bombadier then close it down so we no longer make trains.......???????

ask what happened to the Siemens managment in Athens,

"they went to prison for bribes when they built the underground metro".........

Thread: B7 BP steel
08/02/2019 09:44:34

I bought a big lump of ground finish stainless bar 30mm dia x 3m long from a scrap yard.....

def stainless as stored out side for a long time (forgot about it)

because it was magnetic I got for the price of mild steel = peanuts.....hahaha.....

Thread: Myford Vm-f
04/02/2019 17:52:34

I picked mine up with an engine crane then moved it as a complete unit on a trailer........just fifty miles......not hard to strip out but leave the wiring alone if poss.......The family I got mine from (father died), messed the wiring up by taking the motor off. Not an easy repair, sorting out the wiring with no manual.........

also still not found a manual for my VMF and lathes and co.com or what ever it's called can't supply........

as it happens I only know of three VMF's in existance.....

good luck I love mine almost as much as me Bridgeport J head.....

just need to mod the machine with a raising block and then make a quill shaft lock........

clogs

Thread: did u see
25/01/2019 17:45:59

sorry I said train, doting I's an all that.......u have to make allowences to the uneducated.......not my thing really....

I always fancied 1/3 scale a scale steam lorry that I could drive tho......

speaking of Loco's whats the chance of changing the lead photo on the forum's fist page, more bloody trains.......

hahaha........

25/01/2019 06:46:26

todays Daily Mail features Harry Powells, the Duchess of Buccleuch train.....

estimate at auction £200,000......

out of this world workmanship.....

take my hat off to u train makers, ur all outsatnding......

Thread: Cold Saw vs Big DIamond Blade vs Bandsaw
20/01/2019 08:13:16

I'm fortunate enough to own a 12" bandsaw (bought new), a 355mm Rage cold cut saw and a diamond blade cutter also 355......never use the diamond saw anymore.......

did think about putting a carbide cold cut blade on one of my abrasive chop saw's but DIDN"T because the speed /RPM is so different.......

so, sold both abrasive saw's and bought a new 355..Rage chop saw....also have the largest hand held metal cutting carbide circ saw available........why u may ask...well they all do their specific jobs well and SAFELY.....

my band saw is used for solid and the larger box sections.....the cold cut for everything else.....

found the Rage to be very accurate and well guarded so chips are not a problem....still wear saftey specs tho.......

just made a heavy'ish folding cutting benches / stands, in-feed and out-feed with an adjustable length stop for the long stuff.......been wanting 1 for ages.....so made it to suit the bandsaw and then made rolling stand for the Rage all the same height....now both are interchangeble with the cut/bench.....

would put photo's on but always struggle with that on here.......

I don't do hobby engineering really, living and working a small farm plus restoring old cars + motorcycles + tractors keeps me busy plus always making gates and security doors...this makes it necc for all the above toy's / tools....

have a very understanding wife.....hahaha.......

depending what u do/cut up buy a 6" band saw and the smaller Rage chop saw, u wooooon't regret it......promice....

please don't put a cold cut blade on ur abrasive saw, a it wont last very long due to high speed and b, just to risky.....

also,

once initially adjusted, my 12" B/saw has never been touched in the 12 years of ownership, it's a SIP....everybody says they are rubbish but I like mine, it has a pumped coolant feed (used everytime) and just bought some HSS/Co blades for it from Tuff Blades, "brilliant", u wanna see it go thru 80mm solid bar......hahaha...

it's no good having money in the bank if u need the tools......money is worthless.......

make ur life better and buy the tools........

good luck.... clogs

Thread: Best value parting tool for mild steel?
08/01/2019 19:22:54

I now only use HSS with cobalt blades.......not had time to try the rear mounted tool holder on my Myford S7 yet........

BUT I do grind a small groove on the top edge of the blade with a Dremel and use a contsant heavy flow of cutting fluid...

had loads'a problems with Carbide, not the tips but the holders, lower support cracking......always used at the next higher chuck speed when parting off......

not brave enought to use a power feed.......

on the big diameters always use the bandsaw to cut the part from the stock and then face off.......saves my nerves.......

Thread: plastic or cotton covers for machines
06/01/2019 16:56:59

my machines are wrapped in old Duvet's and blankets.......

underneath each machine (7) I keep an 11watt curly whirly bulb running 24x7...never any rust ......the bulbs are on from the end Sept till mid march........

My place is a 17th century watermill........leave the covers off just 1 night and u get rust.......

when my water soluble suds liquid is finished I'll be using 40grade (I think) Hydraulic oil for coolant.......

Thread: Christmas disaster
26/12/2018 07:20:16

my oven fan went down during Chrissy dinner cooking mode......had to keep turning the Turkey.......hahaha.....

£17 for a replacement.......

the above post's was the reason for buying a simple electric oven........would love gas but they don't make a double oven for bottle gas, well at a price I can afford........no town gas here.........

all the best for the New Year 1 and all..........

Thread: Drill sharpener
26/12/2018 07:10:28

Adam,

I still think my way is best in the long run........

how about getting somebody to show u the way to sharpen and or give a few quid to charity and let somebody else sharpen ur's........somebody out there does it for charity, sharpening milling cutters I beleive...on this forum....?????

looking over somebody's shoulder will help give u confidence to try it for urself.......

save ur split point drill's for that "special" job.....u can never resharpen split point drill bits sucssefully anyway, if I mess up I always buy a new'un.....I beleive they are one trick pony anyway......actually I never buy less than 10 of any size anyway.....esp with all this xxxp metal around... I had to drill hundreds of holes in boiler plate using a split point drill for speed, I used the De-Walt brand as there's no other supplier near me and no time for post.....they wern't that bad, mind some were a bit soft..........after the were bxxxxed/blunt I just resharpened them and use as a normal drill.......

I have a dedicated drill press set to run at 5,000rpm with a 3mm quality drill bit permently fitted just for pilot holes.....there's no run out using a center punch....it's not often that I drill a hole without using a center punch.......

just go for it, learn, it really wont take long, promise........clogs

Thread: Traditional Fluorescent Starter : How do they fail ?
25/12/2018 17:40:23

PHIL,

have a few with that first problem but also have a flu that eats tubes....only buy Sivania or Phillips.......bit fed up with it all now.....

until I move I'm stuck with Flu's but am expecting LED strips for the new place.........just hope they are a lot cheaper by then......a 4ft single LED fitting is €39.99 euro's.........I would like at least 5ft doubles, guess there won't be any 8ft led units tho......storage area etc will be lit by LED floods......€14 euro's gets ua 25watt one without a PIR.......

cheers and all the best.........

Thread: Wall Storage Recommendation
23/12/2018 15:30:35

mechman48,

hope those oil heaters are the oil in rad sort as burning parafin etc actually make moisture.......

Thread: Bearing puller from hell
22/12/2018 15:31:13

have u seen the "FAT BIKE" they built ?

just looking for better wheels right now.......it'll be electric tho......

my knee's are junk.......

it was this crowd that made me buy a carbide tipped chop saw, OH and the same thing but a circular saw.......hahaha........

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest