By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bezzer

Here is a list of all the postings Bezzer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: FORUM DOWNTIME AND RESULTING ISSUES REPORTING
23/06/2022 18:25:50
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 23/06/2022 08:39:34:
Posted by David George 1 on 23/06/2022 06:43:11:

And now safe again on tablet? Dosn't make sense to me.

David

May be this problem, in which Android devices before version 7.1.1 have trouble with new certificates issued by a new certificate authority, notably "Let's Encrypt".

After change of ownership and being moved to a new server, the forum is now authenticated by a new Let's Encrypt security certificate. As David also has an old version of Android, the planets are aligned, and he's having bad luck! Could be a coincidence, but...

There is a workaround. It is to change the phones' Browser to Firefox Mobile. Seems that Firefox keeps it's own copy of the certificate and doesn't use the wonky certificate checks provided by pre-7.1.1 Android.

Dave

Thing is I've got an older Android version and kept getting the unsafe screen and no padlock, seemed to have cured itself on occassions but then kept going back to unsafe. Been O.K. for the past couple of days with padlock now gone back to unsafe yet again so can't really be the Android problem if it keeps changing.

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.model-engineer.co.uk (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Subject: www.model-engineer.co.uk

Issuer: R3

Expires on: 6 Sep 2022

Current date: 23 Jun 2022

Edited By Bezzer on 23/06/2022 18:26:42

20/06/2022 18:18:32

At last !!!! Finally able to visit the site and have the safe padlock showing again. Weirdly when it was showing unsafe and I checked the advance settings it did show the certificate was valid until September but I still had to override the unsafe screen to get to the site.

11/06/2022 16:50:18
Posted by Darren Hendley on 11/06/2022 09:51:37:

Hello. If you are experiencing an insecure message on your browser, it would be really helpful to know:

Device and generation (eg iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire HD 2015 etc)

Operaring system (iOS 15.5, Android 5.1.1)

Browser and version (Chrome 102, Safari 15.5)

Thank you!

Samsung Tab3 . SM-T310

Android 4.4.2

Chrome Version 81.0.4044.138

Device last updated itself 7.6.22

I've cleared history, cookies, caches etc etc a few times with no change, I did see the padlock a couple of days ago for one session as previously posted but not since., no idea why.

10/06/2022 16:15:37

I've gone back to no certificate, no padlock again sad Done nothing since yesterday when it decided to work OK, Have noticed, like Joseph, it keeps me permanently logged in from day to day.

Edit. I submitted this post and it chucked me onto the unsafe site page again, had to confirm the submission and it then posted as above.

Edited By Bezzer on 10/06/2022 16:17:48

09/06/2022 17:49:31

.....and now for some reason everything is OK. Still on Chrome, tablet not been turned off or reset and when I've come back to the site no warnings and secure padlock is now showing frown .

09/06/2022 16:35:12

I did clear all history, site data, caches etc before I posted, just done it again and still the same. I'm using Chrome and can't access another browser until later, I'll try it then.

09/06/2022 15:55:43

I posted on this 5 minutes ago but it seems to have disappeared??

It was to say I'm still getting "invalid certificate" "unsafe site" etc so no padlock. I have cleared history, cache etc to make sure it's not my end, still the same.

"

Thread: The Correct Way To Sharpen Drill Bits Using A Picador Drill Sharpening Jig With Custom Base
02/06/2022 16:35:08
Posted by Richard Kent 1 on 02/06/2022 16:13:29:

Bezzer - "Bonding a piece of ply or alloy to one side is probably the worst bit of workshop practice I've heard"

Great I'll try it and let you know what happens

Could work perfectly well

This is NOT engineering advice so do not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES follow what I do

Edited By Richard Kent 1 on 02/06/2022 16:27:48

I can't make my mind up if you are a troll or actually that far up yourself. Either way it doesn't matter as as the ignore button is about to be pressed , joining a few others I suspect.

02/06/2022 16:11:11
Posted by Richard Kent 1 on 02/06/2022 14:28:51:

Nicholas Farr - Nicolas, this is where too much reading and knowledge can be dangerous

Bonding a reinforcing disc to one side of the wheel should not present any issues in theory.

I'll let you know the results if I take that option.

R

Perhaps you should do more reading and gain a bit of knowledge then. What is this "Theory" you are on about, all guidelines from manufacturers and training say to use equal flanges to give an equal clamping force, a wheel should be perfectly balanced for it's high r.p.m. or you are really asking for trouble. Bonding a piece of ply or alloy to one side is probably the worst bit of workshop practice I've heard.

Thread: Milk container top colours
26/05/2022 16:10:07

Life's too short to care, what about sterilised as well ? It's still about frown

Edited By Bezzer on 26/05/2022 16:11:06

Edited By Bezzer on 26/05/2022 16:12:09

Thread: threading delrin - alternative method
16/05/2022 15:59:17

At 1/2"-20 and your interests I take it that it's to cap off a threaded muzzle or part of an actual moderator? If for a mod end connection I experimented with it some years ago and found it was a bit too soft thread wise for keeping everything square. Didn't take much to move it a touch altering the POI all the time or worse, clipping Defeated the object of having the minimum exit hole, for maximum efficiency, didn't have to knock it, just carrying about in a gunbag was enough, a decent AIM one as well.

Thread: Suggest a repair method for broken aluminium alloy casting
01/05/2022 22:18:28

For similar jobs I use Benzomatic Aluminium solder rods. Unlike other makes you don't need to keep scratching the surfaces with a stainless brush, the flux stuff it's coated with lets it work without. Will be strong enough for your job, I've butt welded alloy tube to alloy plate with it and had to really whack it with a club hammer a couple of times to break it.

This is a thermostat housing off an old bike I repaired with it, just make sure the surfaces are really cleaned up first, I used a burr on it to get to bright metal on this.

thermo1.jpg

thermo6.jpg

Thread: Galvanic Corrosion
01/05/2022 10:10:56

For really stuck fixings on motorcyckes I always ended up with having to drill them out, best with left hand drill bits as previousky mentioned. I know there are more modern anti seize compounds and the galvanic table proximity but I have always used copper grease with no problem disassembling at all even years down the line as have the countless other bike tinkerers.

Thread: cut-off
16/04/2022 18:06:09

Take it that it's one of the generic 6x4 bandsaws like my Chester one that also uses a 1300mm blade?

Somethings wrong if it keeps chucking the blade off, mine never has no matter what it is cutting, is it cutting square? I use the same 14/10 tpi bi metal blade to cut whatever I need to from stainless to a bit of timber, granted it can be a bit slow on big cuts but it's a "budget" saw and a touch of weight on the end can help. You didn't need to seriously modify the vice just drill and tap the rear of the moveable jaw M10 or similar then use a bolt to keep the jaw square when a short piece is at the front.

Thread: cutting pyrex tube to length
16/04/2022 17:50:24

I've cut DRO glass scales down and bottles with no problems at all using a cheap wet wheel diamond tile cutter, if you've got one or know someone who has.

Thread: UK DRIVING LICENCE [ 2022 issue ]
14/04/2022 22:01:55
Posted by Nigel Bennett on 14/04/2022 20:36:02:

Photo? Good heavens! A photo on a driving licence? What will they think of next? Mine's a piece of paper with green and black printing on it, dating back to 1981... I wonder how many of those are still in use?

Snap!! mine is from 1981 as well from when I last moved house. Unfortunately it expires this time next year when I'm 70 and I'll have to have a photo one. sad

Thread: Chester machine tool machines
09/04/2022 15:38:03

I had a DB10G lathe for fifteen years that I sold last year, never had any problem with it at all over that time, still on the original belts as well. Don't rate the customer service much though, don't know if it's improved recently.

Do you know why you want the 3 in 1 as they are a bit of a compromise? If you've got the space a lathe and a seperate mill is a much more flexible option.

Thread: Polishing Brass
06/04/2022 16:07:45

Quickest and best method is with a polishing mop, cheap enough to get a mop and mandrel to fit it on a bench grinder. Light blue or white polishing compound (lighter the compound colour the finer "grit" it is) does it to a mirror finish quickly.

Thread: Dulling the shine on a stainless steel ball
04/04/2022 15:53:27
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 04/04/2022 14:34:50:

Another vote for mechanical abrasion. So I'd try gently rubbing the governor balls zig-zag with a coarse Emery paper or scotcbrite whilst they spin slowly in a lathe. (Emery paper on a lolly-stick or similar to keep fingers safe.)

Dave

Slow speed is no good for a decent uniform finish with a scotchbrite pad, I've always brush finished stainless at high speed as earlier mehtioned.

Thread: how to make it stay in ?
29/03/2022 22:33:16
Posted by David Senior on 29/03/2022 22:08:55:

Turn a groove on the section that fits down the tube, and fit an O-ring. Use a fairly chunky O-ring and play with the groove diameter to get a good grip. We make wheel centre caps using this retention method. The section that fits inside the hex can be cylindrical - no need to make a hex. The O-ring will grip on the flats in the hole

Dave

That's what I used to do, made loads of alloy, brass and stainless frame plugs for bikes and fixed them in with O rings.

baplug1.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest