By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hopper

Here is a list of all the postings Hopper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bearing fit
19/10/2019 03:44:18

Treacle works too. But takes a bit longer to set than Loctite.

Thread: Tapping drill size
18/10/2019 12:34:34

+1 on Tubal Cain's recommendations. (7.1mm in this instance) He says 65% thread engagement gives no significant reduction in strength, yet the tap requires only one third of the torque of an 85% thread, Less torque = less work and less chance of broken tap. More critical on smaller sizes of course. 8mm is stout enough not to worry overly much.

Thread: slidway lapping
18/10/2019 12:15:12

Or Magzter might sell you one digital issue. Hardcopies usually for sale on eBay etc. Copying articles on the forum is a bit un-PC re copyright breaches, particularly on recent issues.

Thread: Limiting pressure to a gauge
18/10/2019 12:12:00

Ah well, that is something rare! I suppose you could put a petcock in line with the gauge and shut if off on start up then open it up once pressure has settled down. Danger is, like petcocks in motorcycle oil supply lines to stop wet-sumping, it's only a matter of time before someone forgets to open the petcock. Which in youir case might give a false reading when in fact there was no oil pressure. Maybe add a common oil pressure switch and light as a back up?

18/10/2019 09:15:41

They wouldn't have had relief valves and restrictors back in 1910. Just do what the original manufacturer did. Must be information available somewhere. Or others on the net with same kind of engine. Probably just let the gauge peg when cold and carried on regardless. Lot of that old stuff was pretty crude yet still functioned.

Most vintage Harley engines are much the same. If you fit an oil pressure gauge it pegs it on cold start up then settles down to 10psi running pressure. The gauges seem to survive.

Edited By Hopper on 18/10/2019 09:17:22

Thread: Yahoo Groups: Heads up for members of e-mail groups
18/10/2019 09:11:25

Thanks for the heads up. The Drummondlathes group on there is a valuable resource. I have copied most of the files section but hopefully somewhere on the net will be found for a more publicly accessible repository.

17/10/2019 11:21:13
Posted by Philip Burley on 16/10/2019 14:41:33:

hello , the answers are just about what I thought . My old S7 saddle is ok where most of my work is done but tight at the tail end ., But I never need to go there anyway !!!!

regards

If your old Super 7 is a pre-1972 model you are in luck. You can give it a new lease of life by performing the relatively simple "Wide Guide Conversion". This consists of adding a strip of thin gauge plate to the rear of the saddle to bear on the unworn vertical surface of the rear bed shear instead of the worn out front shear. I believe Model Engineers Workshop will have a how-to article on this in the near future.

If you get hold of last month's MEW mag, it has the preliminary article on how to measure up your Myford bed to determine the exact amount of wear and how much is tolerable, per factory spec, before a bed regrind is absolutely necessary. Counter-intuitively most of the wear is usually not on the horizontal bed way surfaces but on the one vertical surface that takes the cutting loads. The wide guide conversion shifts this load on to the unused, unworn other vertical surface. The horizontal surface is less critical to the lathe's performance and is often less worn and is within tolerance for further use.

Much better than attacking the old girl with grinding paste.

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
16/10/2019 09:16:11
Posted by Richard brown 1 on 16/10/2019 08:04:23:

What do people mean when they are saying things like "practice to get the feel of them". I must be using them wrong. How are you actually using these telescoping gauges then. I have a cheap set in the blue plastic and have never had any problem with them whatsoever. I hold it in the bore with the handle pointing up about 20 degrees tighten it slightly so it's too big then push the handle down to about -20 degrees and take it out. What is the correct technique? Thanks.

A slight side-to-side rocking motion as you bring the handle down to the 0-degree position is usually added to the above action to ensure measurement is across the largest possible diameter line. That's where the "feel" comes in at the final stages for that last few thou.

Edited By Hopper on 16/10/2019 09:17:09

16/10/2019 09:05:10

IT's not a recommended practice because you have no control over where and how much metal is removed. And equal parts will be removed from both saddle and bed. Various self-appointed YouTube gurus show how to wreck your brand new Chinese minilathe using the same technique. I would not go there.

But if one were to go there, Timesaver abrasive compound would be the one to use. It supposedly does not embed in the parent metal and keep on grinding away forever more. Rather, it breaks down in use to a finer powder that eventually is not abrasive.

If the lathe in question is Myford you are probably far better off to make the Wide Guide Conversion (see a soon upcoming MEW for how to do it.).

One a new minilathe etc, if saddle travel is a bit rough etc, probably better off to smooth the bed ways with a few judicious strokes of a dead smooth file or a fine rubbing stone, just enough to take off burrs and machining roughness.

Thread: Can you help identify this Myford Lathe
15/10/2019 07:51:42
Posted by Howard Lewis on 07/10/2019 18:54:11:

George has summed it up pretty well.

The peculiarities of the M types were :

To save confusion, albeit at risk of my sounding like an overly pedantic twit,  please note that ML1 - 7 are not "M Types"

The M-Type was a completely different lathe, made initially by Drummond and taken over by Myford during the war because it was considered a superior machine (for war purposes) to the ML1-4 models made by Myford.

After the war with the advent of the cheaper ML7 Myford, followed by the Super 7 etc, these became known as 7 Series lathes by some. But never as M series or M types. The M-type died an honorable death circa 1948 or shortly after when the lower-cost ML7 flooded the market.

If you search lathes.co.uk for "M Type" the whole intriguing saga is chronicled in detail.

Back to the OP's lathe and it looks like a good 'un from the pics. Has some serious upgrades such as the overhead v-belt countershaft, a clutch and what looks like some kind of indexing disc by the heashdstock pulleys. And is that a 127 tooth gear on the leadscrew for metric thread cutting? Either that or a very fine feed rate. Nice.

Edited By Hopper on 15/10/2019 08:09:20

15/10/2019 07:50:44

Doh. Double post. Even I don't love the sound of my voice that much.

Edited By Hopper on 15/10/2019 07:56:29

Thread: Built-up edge
13/10/2019 23:01:02
Posted by gerry madden on 13/10/2019 13:33:59:

... I have started machining the face of a large bar end of aluminium 150mm max diameter at about 1000 RPM. All went well for about 20 mins then suddenly the cut goes to the dogs...

1000 RPM is pretty high for 150mm diameter (even with carbide tooling and ally material) and will generate the kind of heat that is welding material to the cutting edge. Try slowing the rpm down. Maybe try 500 and see how it goes.

And 20 minutes is a long time to face a piece of bar. It may be that too slow a feed rate is letting the tool rub on the job and generate heat without cutting, resulting in the fine ally particles building up in a welded mass on the edge.

And +1 on use a bit of WD40 when machining ally. Seems to reduce the stickiness and is not as stinky as kerosene (parafin)

Edited By Hopper on 13/10/2019 23:09:15

Thread: diameter calculation
13/10/2019 09:56:19

And we haven't even started to calculate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin of the diameter with three chords this size. I know the plain diameter formula has been posted on here before somewhere, but not encompassing the chords aspect.

Thread: Oil Level Sight Glass
13/10/2019 09:05:39

If they are like the plastsic/Perspex sight glasses used in motorcycle crankcases, you may have to drill a hole in it, screw in a self-tapping screw and pop the "glass" and seal out with a puller or slide hammer attached to the screw Then replace glass and seal with new unit.

Thread: Exactly...
10/10/2019 13:55:31

Fluoride waste from fertilizer manufacturing used to fluoridate drinking water to reduce dental cavities.

Solid waste from sewage treatment plants sold as fertilizer.

Peanut shells from food processing and bark chips from lumber mills sold as garden mulch.

And sausages... let's not even go there.

Thread: Warco WM18 milling head shake ( technically spindle is precessing) when plunge milling a blind slot.
10/10/2019 13:42:00

Posted by Circlip on 10/10/2019 12:24:32:,,,

And Sir John lovingly and regularly regarded the Bridgy as a POS.

Edited By Circlip on 10/10/2019 12:26:11

By industrial standards, the Bridgeport is a small, flimsy toy. Stand one next to a Cincinnati mill and the Bridgy looks about like a WM18.

The Bridgy was all right for roughing tiddly little plastic injection moulds etc but if you wanted to shift metal, it would not be first choice. Just did not have the rigidity of its industrial heavy weight peers.

Edited By Hopper on 10/10/2019 13:44:20

Thread: Exactly...
10/10/2019 09:23:39
Posted by Howard Lewis on 09/10/2019 20:18:47:

If it were not for Engineers, particularly British ones, the world, as we know it today, would not exist.

Among the things that British Engineers and inventors gave the world are;

Textile machinery (Hargreaves etc ); Steam engines (Savery, Watt, etc ), and if you include Steam Turbines, Parsons.

Rail traction and railways (Trevithick, Stephensons etc

Radar, (Watson Watt )

Gas Turbines (Whittle and those who followed on, such as Rolls Royce with the single crystal turbine blade )

Tarmac Roads (MacAdam )

The list goes on and on!

As a nation, we are superb at inventing things, but for mass production we have to turn to other nations, sadly.

Howard

But don't forget they also invented Lucas electrics and the oil leak. smiley

More seriously, all those things would have been invented by someone else if the Brits had not done it first. Most were a product of their times: the need or want for the invention was there, the materials needed to make it were recently available, the base technology was there (eg stationary steam engine preceded Stephenson and Trevethick's efforts) and the money to do the development was around.

Often simultaneous "inventions" happened in several places within short time of each other with the inventors not knowing of each others' work. Just they were working towards the same goals with the same base technology and materials available to them. EG powered aircraft. A german guy in Pittsburgh was airborne a couple years before the Wrights. And guys in Europe and Australia were making tentative hops, skips and jumps about the same time. So had the Yanks not taken out the "first" trophy, someone else would have done so shortly after.

And the Brits at one stage excelled at mass production, eg late 19th century through to the 1970s. But they never seemed to have the working capital for new and huge machinery and the "think big" the Yanks had. Was interesting to read in Exactly/Perfection that it was actually the Yanks at Springfield Armory who pioneered mass production techniques.Their inventions were soon embraced and even improved upon in UK and Europe though.

I thouroughly enjoyed the book. Highly recommend it.

Thread: What are members thoughts on Gap Bed lathes ?
09/10/2019 21:55:09

My Myford cost me less than 200 Quid.

09/10/2019 10:44:34
Posted by JasonB on 09/10/2019 07:33:22:

For a moment there I thought you were describing a Myford 254. Just look at that even higher base to the tailstock and the unsupported overhang of the topslide.

Ah, but Myford have cunningly incorporated a threaded feedscrew fitted with a right-angle crank handle into the topslide. By manipulating the crank handle in an anti-clockwise direction, the astute operator can move the position of the topslide to such an extent that overhang is reduced to nil, or even less.

Thread: Warco WM18 milling head shake ( technically spindle is precessing) when plunge milling a blind slot.
09/10/2019 08:05:23

There's probably no getting around the sloppiness of cheap and cheerful, or old and worn, machine tools.

I'd try as suggested, drilling the hole to start with by a conventional 120-degree-point drill bit, a bit undersized and then take the final skim plunge cut with a slot drill and proceed on milling the slot.. Using the quill feed to set depth etc.

Next time it gets to dancing around like that, take a look at and put a finger on the join line between the column and the base. Sometimes if those two mating surfaces are not very accurately machined and matched, the column can be a bit unstable in operation. I've seen one that looked like it was machined with an angle grinder wielded by Blind Freddy at 3.58pm Friday afternoon. .

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest