By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hopper

Here is a list of all the postings Hopper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Replacing Warco WM16 spindle bearings
26/06/2019 00:22:38

Taper roller bearings are generally considered the bearing for the job. What are the "upgraded" bearings you refer to?

It is well worth spending the money to buy good quality bearings. SKF brand are reliably good. Take a look through their online catalogue to see what they offer. They do some higher-precision lines in certain sizes but whether they are worth the extra money for this application I could not say.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Top Slide Base - Alternatives?
26/06/2019 00:16:47

I think I too would be looking at the possibility of turning up a new cone from steel and attaching it with screws. You might get lucky and be able to swing the topslide body in the lathe after attaching it to the faceplate. You could then turn a recess for the new cone to locate in. Would be stronger than the original.

If you need to get by in the meantime, a rear toolpost can be pressed into service as a Gibraltar style solid toolpost mount. I use mine that way a lot. Works very well. Or any block of steel suitably machined would do the job. Can all be milled in the lathe with a flycutter by clamping the block to the cross slide, or even faced off on the faceplate. Slot for mounting tool bits in can be milled with end mill held in the three jaw chuck and the toolpost block packed up to suitable height. I've done several of my combo rear/Gibraltar toolposts that way.

Or a simple spacer block with a commercial quick change toolpost mounted on top would be simple to make too as per posts above.

Thread: Scraping
26/06/2019 00:09:27

Who let the cunning linguists in? Frosting is a variety of scraping. It's done with a scraper. It's covered in every good book or training course on scraping.

Edited By Hopper on 26/06/2019 00:24:17

Thread: Cross Slide Lock
25/06/2019 09:42:54
Posted by Mick B1 on 25/06/2019 09:10:19:

Why not just point the screw to match the dovetail angle, so that the deflection of the gib is perpendicular (-ish) to its face?

I assume you'd hope that the deflection is elastic, and that the gib will return to its previous condition on releasing the lock screw.

Because it would be devilish difficult to drill and the resulting screw would be inaccessible on a Myford.

Thread: Model Engineering Overseas
25/06/2019 09:16:07

Posted by Haggerleases on 24/06/2019 17:21:54:...

...I always find it quite fasicinating to read of people who have carried on their hobby in challenging circumstances...

You would enjoy this article then about a small lathe made by inmates of a Japanese POW camp in WW2 LINK

Thread: Cross Slide Lock
25/06/2019 08:57:18

ISTR the GHT method when I did mine years ago was to drill in between the existing gib screws in the same plane as the gib screws and drill a divot into the gib strip for the end of the locking screw to fit into. Seems to work well.

Thread: Scraping
25/06/2019 08:49:47

Posted by George Scopel on 24/06/2019 20:22:02:...

...the machines used to grind a lathes bed would or at least I thought create a suitably smooth uniform finish, yet the process of rubbing blue onto the saddles and use a scraper to fine tune the mating surfaces is still necessary.

Not really necessary in most cases. Are you referring to a new lathe you have just bought? Unless there are problems, should be good to use as is. Beginner level amateur scraping may or may not improve it. Most new lathes today have ground ways but they are sufficiently rough finish to retain oil. Oil retention would only be a problem on superfine polished finishes, which you almost certainly don't have.

Edited By Hopper on 25/06/2019 09:10:46

Thread: RequiredOutside Diameter to Cut 5/16 BSF Thread
24/06/2019 04:05:04

In the commercial machine shop world it is common practice to make the OD about five thou under the nominal size, so somewhere around .307" (in practice, about .305" will do).

This provides a bit of tip clearance on the threads but does not reduce thread strength measurably. You die will thread the job much easier. With screwcut threads, parts will fit together better without riding on the thread tips.

Larger threads are usually made ten thou or more undersize.

You only need 65 per cent thread depth engaging to have about 95 per cent strength of a full depth thread so there is no danger at all in going a few thou undersize..

Thread: Milling Machine Identification
23/06/2019 07:27:30

It looks as though it could be combination lathe and milling machine. With that chuck backing plate below what appears at first glance to be a milling spindle. Job could be held in the lathe chuck mounted on that backing plate, and a toolpost mounted in the vice or direct to the table below.

Or is the chuck backing plate mounted on the main spindle and the round bar above it remains stationary to act as the overarm on which to mount a steady for the milling cutter spindle below?

Some pics of the area behind the main column showing the drive from motor to spindle/s would possibly clarify.

Certainly an interesting machine. I wonder if it was ever written up in ME magazine?

Edited By Hopper on 23/06/2019 07:29:39

Thread: Can We Be Too Good For Our Own Good - sometimes|?
22/06/2019 06:55:55
Posted by Howard Lewis on 21/06/2019 21:12:01:

They could probably tell you a lot about the valency bonds, and electron orbits used in the hydrocarbons.

But don't ask about the flash point of the bunker fuel!

Howard

Oooh they wouldn't have expected mere mortals like us to understand anything like that.

Thread: Possible New Internet Scam to be Aware of.
22/06/2019 06:52:18
Posted by Howard Lewis on 21/06/2019 20:56:28:

Some of these "clever" fraudsters slip up on silly details, thankfully.

This week a message arrived, supposedly from a friend, except that his name was misspelled, and the sender's E mail address was visible!

Total amateur., who has hacked into someone's address book, but too deficient in English to realise the need to spell a Scottish, or Irish surname correctly, or that the supposed originator is not a resident of Germany, like them!

Obviously trawling for the unobservant gullible

Howard

Saw a doco on TV where almost illiterate street kids in Lagos, Nigeria, buy time at shanty town internet "cafes" and send out such scam emails. Poor buggers are desperate for a feed yet only one mouse click away from people who live a fabulous life of luxury by comparison. IE, us. You have to feel sorry for them when you see their circumstances. Most of us, if we met them in person, would not begrudge them a few bucks to feed them for a week or two. Truly sad.

Thread: The World of Buckminster Fuller
22/06/2019 06:45:15

Posted by Jeff Dayman on 22/06/2019 00:12:20:...

...Funky but not too practical. ...

Pretty much sums up the Sixties.

Thread: Milling Machine Identification
22/06/2019 06:40:01

Wow that is a beast. A nice one. It is either very old old someone has perhaps fabricated it from bar stock and flat plate? Is the main body a casting or is it all bolted up from stock? Sorry, can't help with identification. But fascinated. Please keep us posted with your progress.

Thread: Can We Be Too Good For Our Own Good - sometimes|?
21/06/2019 11:17:13

Two degreed engineers came down to the boilerhouse at the car factory to show us how it should be done after the gas company cut off the supply to repair a gas main. Two of the boilers were heavy bunker oil fired, water tube boilers the size of a small two-storey house.

The gas company when the gas is "cut off" keeps gas in the mains at one or two PSI to stop air getting back into the gas lines and causing a flammable mix that could explode easily.

So these two dudes try lighting one of the heavy oil fired boilers, after ordering the boiler attendant out of the way, using the feeble flickering flame from the gas ignitor. But the low-pressure gas flame was too feeble to touch off the heavy oil when they tried to start the boiler up. So they just kept running the boiler through its start cycle. Fan on. Gas ignitor flame on. Heavy oil valve open. Over and over again. Filling the furnace with unburnt heavy oil, which soaked into the brickwork.

After several hours of trying, they got lucky and touched off a flame. Ignited all that oil and fumes accumulated in there and blew two large explosion doors out the back of the boiler furnace, sending massive boiler-room window sheet glass across the main entrance road to the plant,  minutes before 4pm knockoff siren and 4,000 workers streamed past cheering them as they skulked off, leaving the apprentice (me) coming in on afternoon shift to sweep up their mess.

Before the afternoon shift was half over, we had hooked up a barbecue gas bottle to the ignitor and got the other boiler started first try.  Dunno what they teach those guys at university.

Edited By Hopper on 21/06/2019 11:33:00

Thread: Quick question of Parting
21/06/2019 10:52:54

Either that or make up a washer chuck to hold it. A piece of round stock with a recess to fit the thin slice you have, then slit so it can be squeezed down slightly in the three jaw chuck. Easier to mount iton the crank and take a light skim I reckon.

21/06/2019 09:55:31

Your methodology was all good. But did you lock the carriage to the bed, and preferably lock the topslide too for best results?

But parting is not a precision operation. Within 0.1mm is not too bad. Often the parting tool will not go in dead straight if it is not set dead on square to the lathe axis or if the end of the parting tool is not ground dead square.

Best to part off a bit oversize and then face off the end to final size. You get a better finish that way too.

Thread: First Project
20/06/2019 13:07:09
Posted by Puffafish on 20/06/2019 10:08:51:

So I was looking through the Myfordboy blog, and it does look good and clear. However, it claims that all the parts can be done on a lathe, yet they use a mill to flatten the side of the cylinder and drill the holes in the cylinder for the steam in and out. I thought I'd heard that those processes can be done on a lathe somehow. Can anyone point me to a site/video/similar which shows how that can be done?

You can hold the cylinder in the four jaw chuck in the lathe and machine the flat on the side of it quite easily.

Drilling the steam port holes can be done with a bit of care in the drill press. Or job can be held in the tool post or on a bracket, angle plate etc attached to the cross slide and hold the drill bit in the lathe chuck. If you want luxury, get a vertical milling slide for your lathe. Milling machines in the home workshop aare a recent luxury. Many thousands of steam engines were made entirely with a lathe and drill press prior to the current century.

Thread: Rainhill
20/06/2019 13:01:20

I would really recommend some simpler projects to start with and learning to use a lathe before attacking costly castings. But if you are a jump-in-the-deep-end kinda guy, go for it.

Edited By Hopper on 20/06/2019 13:22:34

Thread: Historic Frogs
20/06/2019 12:46:17

"Jeremiah was a bullfrog. " (Joy to the World by Three Dog Night.)

20/06/2019 12:44:20
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 20/06/2019 11:40:57:

A frog he would a-wooing go,
Heigh ho! says Rowley,

(wonder who Rowley was? He appears again in Rowley, powley, pudding and pie.)

Wikipedia: Old Rowley was the name of a stallion racehorse belonging to King Charles II (1660-1685) of England. The Rowley Mile Racecourse at Newmarket, Suffolk, developed by the king as a national centre for horseracing, is named after the horse.[1] As the stallion was libidinous and "renowned for the number and beauty of its offspring",[2] Old Rowley became a nickname for the king himself, who had many mistresses and sired many illegitimate children.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest