By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hopper

Here is a list of all the postings Hopper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A Rant to our suppliers of drills
21/08/2018 00:33:17

I've bought a couple of sets of drills from Tracy Tools and been very pleased with all of them. Top product at a good price. Wouldn't waste my life away on the cheap junk.

Thread: Single phase electric motor ?Faulty
20/08/2018 04:49:37

Could be anything really. First step might be to strip it down and inspect for loose windings, swarf etc inside the working area. Clean it up. Fit new bearings and seals and give it another try. Bearings and seals are cheap so not worth putting the old ones back together. They could be the source of your noise. Or not. Only one way to find out.

Thread: Reverse engineering
19/08/2018 11:39:01
Posted by Roger Hulett on 17/08/2018 14:51:53:Is it possible to reverse engineer the dividing head to cut the cap threads from the existing body threads, and if so how do I do it ?

No you can't. You need a lathe.

Thread: Gib strips
19/08/2018 11:35:33
Posted by Kiwi Bloke 1 on 19/08/2018 11:15:33:

To add a little detail about my 'problem' machine. It's a well-respected, very small lathe, manufactured far from the orient. I won't identify the maker because I don't wish any implied criticism to tarnish their reputation. The machine is unworn and crud-free. I can't access it at present, but, from memory, the vertical height of the top-slide gib strip is in the order of 5mm, and the adjusting screws are M3, so we're dealing with awkwardly small stuff.

Sounds like an Optimum. Which despite the sticker on the front proudly announcing "GERMANY" is a right piece of Chinese junk. If that is what you have, your problems probably run deeper than gib strip dimples.

If it's not, you might was well let the big secret out of the bag so those with previous experience on such machines can share it with you. Otherwise, yet once again, we are reduced to groping in the dark hazarding best guesses on a Top Secret project.

18/08/2018 23:57:32

I found on our ML7 that rounding the ends of the standard gib screws into a hemisphere (simply by spinning in the lathe and filing) made an improvement.

I put pins in the gibs of my old Drummond some years ago, GHT-style, but did not notice any particular difference in their performance.

One narrow edge of the gib strip is usually in contact with the top surface, as well as the main wide surface. You might try knocking the corner off the gib strip with a file so it does not jam in the corner but bears on the flat surfaces.

Thread: Restoring a steel cam lobe
18/08/2018 09:26:42

ON the other hand, any good local welding shop could build the lobe up with common hard-facing rod. You could then grind the profile on it on a slightly modified bench grinder. All it takes is a simple rocking frame, pivoted at the bottom with two a chuck and centre or similar to hold the camshaft. If there is same profile cam 180 degrees out, an adjustable bolt bearing on this will provide the necessary movement. Cam is then rotated by by hand, back and forth over the welded area as the welding is ground down. Screwing in the bolt puts the cut on until the ground section comes down to meet the unground part.

This video shows the principle, but it can be done a lot simpler for a one-off.

PS, here's a simpler homemade rig, although he's only grinding the base circle to create higher lift in this example, you can see from the previous vid how another cam lobe can be used as the master to control the rocking and shape the cam lobe.

Edited By Hopper on 18/08/2018 09:32:21

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
18/08/2018 09:11:24
Posted by John McNamara on 18/08/2018 08:05:01:

We are calling it "Lets Make It" Rather than calling it a model exhibition, this is in recognition of the varied interests of the members. The home workshop is changing for those lucky enough to have the space for one,

yes Good idea that. Well done. "Model engineer" does have something of the trainspotting anorak's connotation to it in the younger mind. (From what I have been able to make out of the younger mind: ie not much.)

Thread: Tailstock Turret
18/08/2018 04:08:29

Issue 253 of MEW had drawings and build article on a tailstock turret that is basically the same in principle and execution as the older designs by Sparey et al.

Thread: Illegal CD copy
18/08/2018 03:52:46

You seem to have scared them off. laugh The listing has been taken off Fleabay.

MTM don't seem inclined to spend the money on lawyers to pursue these matters though. Discs of pirate copies of MEW going back to issue 1 are regularly posted for sale on eBay. Probably cost more to pursue the legalities than it would be worth in terms of lost revenue from subscribers to the official back issues, which I believe only go a certain way back. (Certainly not to 1901 in the case of ME!)

It's a shame MTM don't sell an official set of discs of back issues but I suppose the cost of scanning in the case of ME would be phenomenal so price would have to be high. And once the discs were out there, pirate copies would appear about one day later.

Thread: when is a precision vice not a precision vice>?
17/08/2018 12:38:31

Well he was still around in 2013 when this thread was started.

17/08/2018 12:32:03

Around here it's not unheard of for a mud-spattered sugar cane farmer dressed in football shorts, blue singlet and flip-flops to pull out his cheque book and fork over $600,000 on the spot for a new cane harvester. I guess that's the closest we get to aristocracy.

Anyone wearing a tie is treated with utmost suspicion.

Thread: Chucking a Small Octagon (Delicately and Accurately!)
17/08/2018 08:50:56
Posted by Peter Krogh on 17/08/2018 05:19:41:

Ya think??? laugh

Pete

Edited By Peter Krogh on 17/08/2018 05:20:17

Well, to quote Larry from the Three Stooges, "I tried thinkin' about it, but nuttin' happened."

Thread: when is a precision vice not a precision vice>?
17/08/2018 08:48:41

A 1700 Quid vice? Totally irrelevant to the home workshop IMHO.

17/08/2018 01:35:18

@ Neil, yes definitely more lathes in private hands these days and most certainly mills. The affordable Chinese mills available today were unthinkable a generation ago. I never knew anyone who had a mill in their home workshop until recent years.

As for not supporting local businesses, a lot of local businesses don't do much to support small volume customers such as ME types. Not enough money in it for them these days.

But even local businesses in general seem to be less and less interested in their customers. I stood around for over half an hour in an almost empty local appliance retailer's showroom yesterday with $1,000 in my pocket to buy a new set of hi-fi speakers and got ignored. Walked out. Went home. Bought the same thing on that dreaded auction site for a bit less money. I think walk-in shops' days are numbered.

I already buy almost all my workshop tooling, supplies and materials online because it's more time-efficient than running around local shops waiting to get served then only to find they are out of stock because they don't bother to reorder until the shelf is totally empty. So if I've got to wait for them to get it in, I might as well stay at home, order online and wait for it to arrive at my doorstep. Every hour of shopping time, and driving time, saved is an extra hour of making swarf.

Thread: New or Old Super 7?
17/08/2018 01:17:01

It looks real nice - but it's been "rebuilt" and repainted. So who knows? Sometimes "rebuilt" is a double-edged sword. Much depends on the competence of the rebuilder. Some machines end up worse off after a rebuild. As with buying a used car, look at the current owner as much as the machine. How is his workshop? What kind and quality of work does he seem to do there? Is he experienced or a beginner unaware of his own limitations?

Take a 12" steel ruler ( a good thick one like off a combination set, or a toolmakers ruler) and set of feelers so you can measure the wear on the bed. This one is a "narrow guide" model so most of the wear is likely to be on the rear vertical surface of the front shear, the one that takes the pressure from cutting. Most wear will be in that zone 4 to 12 inches from the left end of the shears. If wear there is .003" or more, it's time for a regrind, according to Myford's reconditioning brochure from back in the day. They allow a little more wear at .005" on the top surface of the shear.

Of course, being a narrow guide bed does leave you the possibility of doing the wide guide conversion and giving a worn bed a new lease of life. But then your hobby becomes lathe restoration, not making model engines etc.

Edited By Hopper on 17/08/2018 01:19:21

Thread: Steering Wheel - how was it made?
17/08/2018 00:53:49

I wonder if the heat marks either side of the wooden "slug" were there from heating the wooden slug after installation to make it swell up and grip tight inside the wheel? Bit like we used to do with old Norton clutch plates where you soaked the cork inserts to push them into the holes in the clutch plates, then baked them in the oven to make them swell up and stay in place. Standard practice on British bikes up until about the 1960s.

Or was the seam welded at those points on your wheel? Can't tell with the grinder marks on the join.

Thread: Chucking a Small Octagon (Delicately and Accurately!)
17/08/2018 00:37:04
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/08/2018 14:33:56:

One solution might be to get a suitable octagonal collect 3D printed, ideally in Nylon.

Square Collets

Doh! I just realized looking at this, that a bog standard square collet as picutred would hold an octagon very nicely. Just get the square collet that is the same size across the flats as the AF measurement on the octagon.

If the collets are only readily available in steel, your piece of silverwork could be protected by wrapping a piece of paper around it before inserting in collets.

Just a thought.

16/08/2018 12:35:46

You could make a Delrin or similar plastic split bush with an octagonal hole down the centre, in the lathe. Drill the hole first, then cut the 8 flats on it by using a tool like a boring bar with the tool bit rotated so it cuts like a shaper or slotter when you rack the carriage back and forth. Indexing could be easily achieved by a change gear on the end of the spindle (or geared to it) with spring loaded plunger, or piece of hacksaw blade, engaging with the teeth.

I've cut a few keyways in cast iron gears this way, so I'm sure it will be a lot easier to cut flats in Delrin!

This would have the advantage that you don't have to tighten up the chuck so much to grip the job as it locates on the flats of the octagon, not the points like a round bushing or collet would.

Thread: shoe sole glue
16/08/2018 12:26:57

It helps to run the sole and the bottom of the shoe over the belt sander prior to gluing if you can. Just enough to scuff them up so the glue can "key" into the surface.

Thread: Vertical Boiler Fittings
16/08/2018 09:08:30

There's always teflon thread tape too. It's so much less messy than gorilla snot..

Edited By Hopper on 16/08/2018 09:33:48

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Sarik
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition