By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hopper

Here is a list of all the postings Hopper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: scam alert
27/01/2020 12:28:41
Posted by Danny M2Z on 26/01/2020 06:24:29:

Not exactly a scam but lately I have noticed that a lot of 'reputable' charities offer to send one a booklet to save an animal or how to apply basic first aid. (Reply by mobile phone text message only)

My neighbour's daughter responded and discovered that her phone is now inundated with begging requests for donations and soon her mailbox we suspect as if one gives one's contact details them under Australian consumer law it is ok for an organisation to contact a 'customer' if they initiated the contact by sending a message to their number.

Pretty sneaky IMHO.

A few Australian charities have been dropped from my list of where to donate my funds.

* Danny M *

I wondered how the Royal Flying Doctor Service was paying for saturation ads on tv for their first aid booklet. Just text their number from your phone and you get a free lunch , err booklet. Sad to see a fine organization do that if it is the case.

Thread: Painted T Slots
26/01/2020 10:34:19

I've never seen painted T slots. Usually they get full of oil and swarf and so don't corrode.

If they are binding your T nuts and stopping the alignment of vices and dividing heads etc, I'd scrape the paint back to the metal.

Thread: Silver soldering 19mm steel.
24/01/2020 23:25:54

Don't know about your particular type of propane torch but for jobs like that I have a propane torch with a nozzle over 1 inch diameter. Still takes a long time to get large jobs up to heat. The one in the pic looks too small to me, but hard to tell from a pic.

Thread: Scraping a magbase
24/01/2020 10:42:59

You don't really need a scraped surface on a mag base. Assuming you are talking about the run of the mill dial indicator stand type with shallow V groove up the middle and thus standing on two narrow edge strips.

You might be better off to  tape a sheet of 800 grit wet rub paper on the surface plate and carefully rub the mag base around in a figure 8 pattern to get it flat. Then finish off with some 1200 grit same method.

Otherwise, be careful too that your rocking is not due to tiny burrs around the edges of the base surface. Dress with a small fine file or rubbing stone around the edges after scraping. And rub a fine stone over the scraped surface to knock down any burrs thrown up by scraping on the flat surface itself.

So you might as well go straight to the wet rub paper method really.

Edited By Hopper on 24/01/2020 10:44:37

Thread: Ian S C Back again
22/01/2020 10:50:05

Welcome back mate. We've missed your always sensible input. Have fun with those Stirlings!

Thread: Caliper friction washers
22/01/2020 09:11:59

Red fibre washers? Or cut your own specials from a sheet of red fibre material that you can buy at engineering suppliers. (No idea if there is a proper name for that red fibre, that's all I've ever heard it called.)

Or you might investigate what type of friction material is used in steering dampers on vintage motorcycles. Many had a disc 2 0r 3 inches diameter of friction material about 1/16" thick that was clamped between two steel surfaces by a big knob on a threaded rod coming up through the steering head.  Probably available from vintage parts suppliers for AJS, Matchless, BSA, Triumph etc etc. One steering damper disc would supply enough material for a bunch of caliper sized washers.

Edited By Hopper on 22/01/2020 09:19:30

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
22/01/2020 08:58:21

Wow. It still goes on. So I guess Michael G's answer of "No" is definitive.

Here is what the industry experts at CupAlloy say on their site:

"The brazing process, of which silver soldering is a part, has been used successfully for thousands of years to produce strong leaktight, ductile joints ...

...One definition in British Standards defines brazing as : "a process of joining generally applied to metals in which, during or after heating, molten filler is drawn into or retained in the space between closely adjacent surfaces of the parts to be joined, by capillary attraction"

International Convention declares that brazed joints are made above the melting point of aluminium 610 degC. Below that temperature you are soldering. A brazed joint is identified by the temperature of the filer metal, not by the composition of the rod in the hand."

CupAlloy's full screed and lots of other interesting info on the topic is here **LINK**

But the above definition is, as discussed earlier, contrary to what many who did a machining or toolmaking apprenticeship in the days of yore was told on the shop floor, where "brazing" referred to the use of brass rod and "silver soldering" to the use of a silver-bearing wire filler.

Not sure how, when, where or why the discrepancy over the years.  Was it the British, ISO, or SAE Standards organisations getting in on the act and coming up with a standard definition in later years?

Edited By Hopper on 22/01/2020 09:04:53

21/01/2020 07:48:51

One thing to clarify from the OP though: the size of the gap does not define brazing versus silver soldering. Both use capillary action to "flow" the molten rod material into the joint and while there may be some variation in the gap people like to leave, it is not definitive.

But to add to the confusion, there is also a process sometimes called bronze welding, or sometimes sif-bronze welding, where the joint is not overlapping and not relying on capillary action, but a bead of bronze/brass welding rod material is built up along the joint something like the way a bead of arc weld or TIG weld would be laid on. This process has been popular with bespoke motorcycle frame builders for many years, including some of those making replica Norton Featherbed frames for classic bike racing today.

21/01/2020 04:00:22

In the days of yore, including Tubal Cain's heyday, silver soldering referred to what is now commonly called silver brazing. The terminology seems to have changed over the years. In those olden days, brazing was commonly believed to refer only to using brass filler rod and an oxy torch to flow it into the joint. And in those olden days, silver soldering was usually done with high silver content rods and could be done with oxy or propane torches. But that now seems to be called commonly silver brazing.

Keith Hale of CupAlloys who posts on here regularly has a good site with some explanation and he has written what is often considered the definitive modern book on soldering and brazing. His site: **LINK**

But even his site is confusing, listing "Silver Solder" in the headings but referring to it as "a silver brazing alloy" in the fine print.

To add to the confusion, old fashioned lead and tin plumbers and electrical solder has been replaced by a 5 or even 2 per cent silver-bearing tin solder that is marketed as "silver solder" but really is not, in the traditional sense.

Thread: Buying metal - caveat emptor.
20/01/2020 11:35:22

Some fine "gash melt" bar

Edited By Hopper on 20/01/2020 11:36:50

Thread: Honda Brake Cable
20/01/2020 11:24:52
Posted by Gerard O'Toole on 20/01/2020 08:20:23:

Is the outer cable fitted correctly into the adjuster on the handlebar lever?

It is hard to tell , but in the photo it seems that it might be sitting proud of the adjuster ring.

I think his main problem is the length of the outer cable is short by severeal inches, causing the sharp bend at the bottom instead of the normal sweeping curve.

Thread: Reamer specifications ?
20/01/2020 11:19:56

Posted by Neil Lickfold on 20/01/2020 09:14:27:

...I am finding that the hss reamers that are readily available out here from the tool merchants, are on the upper limit of the H7, rather than lower limit.

I believe that is so the reamer is within H7 tolerance when new and stays within tolerance for maximum time as it wears. Commercial industrial reamers are designed to last for up to 30,000 holes and stay within tolerance. If they start out at the small end of the scale, they don't last long before being below tolerance due to wear.

Thread: Honda Brake Cable
20/01/2020 02:03:22

The problem with buying over-the-counter inner and outer cable or even getting one made is the difficulty finding the correct grey coloured outer cable Honda used.

You might have to get a brake cable off a larger capacity Honda, 350 or 450 and cut it down if necessary.

Edited By Hopper on 20/01/2020 02:03:56

Thread: Buying metal - caveat emptor.
20/01/2020 00:23:46

Was it the very end of the bar? Sometimes the end bit is not much good. Something to do with the production process.

Thread: A good toolpost drill design
20/01/2020 00:22:00

Use an electric pistol drill, the type with the round section on the nose designed for a second handle to stick out sideways. Make a suitable bracket that fits one end in the tool post and the other having a large round hole to fit the nose of the pistol drill. Plus some kind of cut in the bracket with a clamping bolt so it clamps down on the drill body.

You can even fit a shaft with an eccentric on it to the trigger of a variable speed drill for "hands off" operation at the rpm of your choice.

Thread: Lathes as bling!
19/01/2020 12:39:08
Posted by JA on 19/01/2020 12:34:31:

I don't understand how a Hardinge lathe ended up in a railway workshop. These were bought by the likes of the Atomic Energy Research Centre and used in clean tool rooms.

JA

It's a heritage railway workshop so possibly a donation from one of the myriad closing down clean tool rooms, or auction item from the same. Or thrown out the back door of a still functioning tool room as obsolete or worn out. It's an old piece of industrial machinery, just like millions of other pieces of old industrial machinery that have been melted down for scrap. (Including most of the steam trains ever made.)

Edited By Hopper on 19/01/2020 12:39:54

Thread: Australian Bush Fires
19/01/2020 08:21:42

And now Melbourne is getting pelted by golf-ball sized hail stones, which are shredding the trees that did not get burnt.

Thread: Has anyone watched this Girl
19/01/2020 08:18:07
Posted by Steviegtr on 18/01/2020 01:47:39:

She is isn't she. Very skilled at what she does. Probably cannot cook a good steak but can she wield that lathe.

Well I don't know. I can cook a decent steak (and a not-half-bad curry too) so the two can't be mutually exclusive.

Thread: New to forum
19/01/2020 08:13:42

Welcome to the forum. Another M-Type owner here. The lathe that won the war. Still use mine in anger. A very nice, surprisingly useable old machine, once sorted.

Edited By Hopper on 19/01/2020 08:15:38

Thread: Australian Bush Fires
19/01/2020 01:28:37

Yes, relief but floods in some areas. Bit of a respite in others. As we are now at about the start of our usual bushfire season, they are expecting more between now and Easter.

Footage on the news last night of koalas being rescued from flood waters. Never a dull moment for those guys.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
mid gard rail Jan 2020
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest