By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hopper

Here is a list of all the postings Hopper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
15/12/2018 04:34:19

The really sad thing is these scumbags rely on the fact that a certain percentage of the population has a low IQ down at the bottom end of the bell curve somewhere and fall for their BS. Preying on the most vulnerable who can't help the way they were born.

Even worse, they prey on the elderly and others in the early stages of degenerative brain diseases such as Alzheimers and other dementias who are still functional enough to use a computer but have a childlike innocence as a result of their illness.

Absolute lowest of the low preying on them.

The government really should compel phone and IP providers to spend more money on filtering out these lowlifes because for the most vulnerable in our society they are much more than just a nuisance. They are predatory scumbags.

Edited By Hopper on 15/12/2018 04:35:15

Thread: How far to be off tool centre before a turned finish becomes poor?
15/12/2018 00:23:28

A little bit below centre height can actually be helpful on small flexible lathes, or worn lathes. The tool does not dig in if "grabs" but is deflected away from the job.

Thread: Squaring in the lathe
14/12/2018 11:41:14

Another way of doing it is a fly cutter held in the lathe chuck and the material clamped to the cross slide. You can then use a dial indicator to get sides set up dead parallel to the lathe axis before starting the cut. But again it depends on how good the alignment of the cross slide to the lathe axis is. (Not very good on most worn lathes and some newer ones of lesser quality.)

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
14/12/2018 11:36:05

I'm surprised that anyone still needs warning that these calls are a scam. They seem to be the only calls I get on my landline (I dont give my mobile number to anyone I don't know personally.)

BUT I read in the paper today about a woman here in Australia who got a call saying it was the tax office and there was a warrant fro her arrest for tax evasion unless she paid up right away. Apparently, they asked who her tax accountant was and proceeded to call him on a conference call (obviously it was one of the scammers but had an Aussie accent so she did not suspect it) and the accountant agreed he had made an error on her taxes and she should pay up. The accountant then appeared to call the woman from his own correct phone number and tell her, appearing to be independent of the scammers, to pay up and was very apologetic - and scared. All very complex and very slickly done. Result, she paid them thousands of dollars.

Thread: Optical Centre Punch any good?
14/12/2018 10:07:36

Being blind in one eye and unable to see out of the other, I do mine by braille. A fine pointed prick punch can be felt to drop into one scribed line, then pull it along the line until you feel the point hit the other line THEN just a click more as it crosses the burr on the edge of the scribed line and drops into the valley of the line proper. The fine punch makes a fine dot of course, so usually is followed up with a larger punch before drilling starts. Like most things, practice makes perfect. ( Well almost perfect, well most of the time...)

It helps greatly to have a good quality, sharp scriber that cuts a clean line into the metal below the marking blue.

Edited By Hopper on 14/12/2018 10:09:45

Thread: Vertical milling attachment vs combo lathe/mill??
14/12/2018 09:59:25
Posted by Mike B 1 on 14/12/2018 09:46:39:

i did have a long chat to a retired tool maker who spoke positively about doing lots of milling on a lathe with various attachments to the cross slide so that just makes it more confusing.

Most model engineering for most of the 20th century was done this way. Milling machines were too expensive before the Chinese hobby manufacturers brought out the cheap and cheerful current type of small machines.

Thread: Martin Gearing Wooden Oscillating engine
14/12/2018 07:48:28

Freight prohibitive? Four dollars direct from Camden Miniature Steam publishing website. Eight dollars on Amazon UK. (Never buy books internationally from Amazon if you can avoid it. There's always somewhere cheaper.)

Looks like a great project for a kid. ( I might have to make one myself.)

Edited By Hopper on 14/12/2018 07:53:35

Thread: Cost of deliveries
14/12/2018 07:39:35

The Chinese government openly subsidises export shipping, sometimes up to 100 per cent subsidy. The system you describe, filling every corner of every ship and every container with cut-price freight is common practice worldwide in air freight. It's how manymagazines etc are delivered to other countries. Makes sense both economically and environmentally. (Not that anyone in global trade seems to care about the latter!)

14/12/2018 00:55:51
Posted by Mike Poole on 13/12/2018 20:35:55:

The car plant I worked at for 44 years employed 28,000 men when I started and produced around 300,000 cars a year, it still produces that many but employs 4,500 people and an army of 1,100 robots.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 13/12/2018 20:43:12

Amazing numbers there. I'm always gobsmacked when watching videos of modern car factories. There is nobody there compared with when I worked in the industry in the 1970s. And the spotless floors, how do they do that?

Thread: 2.05mm or #45?
14/12/2018 00:49:45

Tubal Cain's chart in ME Handbook recommends 2.2mm drill for 2.5mm thread.

13/12/2018 00:21:04
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 12/12/2018 23:24:05:...

It is important to note that Schlesinger's lop-sided tolerance allows 'zero to slightly concave'.

So a brand new lathe, made within Herr Schlesinger's limits, may in fact face dead flat and not necessarily concave.

Thread: ML7 questions
13/12/2018 00:17:02

BS spanners are still commonly available from sellers who deal with old British car and motorbike restoration etc. And there's always eBay UK.

Thread: late Delivery in Australia
12/12/2018 11:10:37

I can confirm that. While I have 274 in my hot little hands, the local newsagent still has 272 on display. I'm sure at least 10 days of the delivery time is between Sydney and here as that seems to be typical.

12/12/2018 10:59:22

Pffft! A lathe MIGHT have turned half a thou concave on a 10" diameter as required by Herr Schlessinger when it left the factory. By now it could be anywhere, the same as any milling machine. Chuck your cast iron up and turn away. As you say, you can always do final finish in your milling machine if all else fails.

Thread: Mini-Lathe Repair
12/12/2018 10:53:13
Posted by Geoff Theasby on 08/12/2018 15:07:45:

Update:

It's the LH leadscrew bearing. Seized. Can't imagine why, it's had the same lubrication as the other end bearing.

You should look into that, or it will just happen again.

It could be that the leadscrew is out of alignment and thus being forced either upwards or downwards when the halfnuts are engaged and the carriage approaches the headstock end of the bed. This would put undue pressure on the bearing (and the carriage and bed ways, not to mention the poor old halfnuts.)

Observe the leadscrew when engaging the halfnuts with lathe switched off. See if you can see deflection as the nuts engage. There should be none.

When you put your leadscrew bearings back in place, if they have the usual bearing mounts that bolt to the bed casting, leave them finger tight, then put carriage at the left hand end of the bed, engage halfnuts and tighten up the leadscrew mount bolts at that end. Then repeat process at the tailstock end. This should set the leadscrew in line with the closed halfnuts along its full length.

I've come across one mini/micro lathe whose leadscrew was so out of line with the bed and the halfnuts' line of travel that the carriage was jamming halfway along the bed. In that case, the leadscrew mounts were cast integral with the bed so some eccentric bushes were made up to set the leadscrew to the correct position. Fiddly but worked.

Thread: late Delivery in Australia
12/12/2018 07:51:05

I'm in Cairns and received MEW 274 a couple of weeks ago. I would expect the current issue (275) to arrive in a few weeks. Seems about normal. ISTR in past years delivery could slow down a little this time of year due to Christmas rush etc.

Thread: If you bought this lathe what would you do?
11/12/2018 22:54:16

Wow that's disappointing in a new lathe. I promise not to mention Myford, or Boxford, or Raglan...

What would I do? Get my money back. Absolutely not fit for purpose.

Edited By Hopper on 11/12/2018 22:58:23

Thread: Cost of deliveries
11/12/2018 22:48:06

I get stuff sent from the UK to Australia regularly. If I get the seller to use Royal Mail small package service, delivery costs are reasonable. Yes, sometimes a 5 quid item costs 6 quid to get delivered, but it's still half the price of buying locally, if i can find the item, which usually is not the case. Other delivery services seem to be more expensive so I avoid them. If a seller insists on using them, I don't buy from them. I have found most will use Royal Mail if requested. (eBay's own Global Shipping is usually more expensive.)

It actually costs more to get small items sent from Sydney, NSW, to where I live (1500 miles north in Queensland) than from the UK. Go figure. Takes about the same time too, 10 days or so.

But US shipping costs have gone through the roof in recent years. So stopped buying all but essentials (Harley parts) from there. Can make it economical by placing large orders at a time.

I still don't understand why some UK eBay sellers don't ship outside UK because of the perceived high cost when the buyer pays the shipping. Have had this a few times with used lathe parts etc. Seems a uniquely UK thing. Never found a Yank reluctant to take my money.

Aliexpress shipping is dirt cheap/free because the Chinese government subsidises/pays for it in order to promote their country's global trade. Too bad others don't follow suit. But seems like since private enterprise began taking over from the Post Office in the West and bringing new "efficiency through competition", prices have gone ever upwards.

Thread: Is this Morse shank removable?
10/12/2018 23:21:26

Bit of heat from a propane torch to the main body might help ease the shank out if its tapered or press fit, and break any Loctite grip if its threaded.

At a pinch, you might be able to set the whole thing up between centres, using a piece of bar held in one of the tool-holder mounting holes, and turn the existing taper down to size.

Edited By Hopper on 10/12/2018 23:22:08

Thread: Fine Thread in Aluminium
10/12/2018 23:18:36

Have five bob each way and make the hole up the middle of the fitting small enough that it could be tapped to accommodate a male-threaded petrol tap as used on older Brit bikes etc. in an emergency.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
méridienne Nov 18
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Shapiro
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest