By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Keith Bloor

Here is a list of all the postings Keith Bloor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Superheaters in the Firebox
27/06/2019 15:51:16

Whilst I could be the first to say that Julian Atkins is a far more experienced Model Engineer than myself, I still think I am experienced enough to spot a criticism that is not worth noting. After all, I didn't start the hobby until 1972. I note that what he says has many valid points but why does he have to either finish what he says or within his words, by "slanging someone off.". In his last write up he starts on the Boiler Testers. I think this is wrong. None of our Societies would function without these people that give their time up to help the rest of the Societies members. I have heard him call LBSC, MARTIN EVANS, DON YOUNG and many more, including an esteemed deceased friend of mine GORDON SMITH. Where would the hobby be without these sort of people in the past.Would the hobby be in the same place as it is know with all the knowledge that has been written down in our many books an magazines etc.The person that has not made a mistake yet has not been born yet but why call people like these down so that the rest of the world knows about it. I know its helpful to point a mistake out but lets do it via some other means, other than this forum. Back to the Boiler Testers. I have a lot of friends within the hobby of witch a lot are boiler testers. I WOULD TRUST ANY BOILER THAT'S BEEN MADE BY MEMBERS OR PROFESSIONALLY IN THEIR HANDS. Indeed our Societies inspectors are". very on top of the job" whether it be hydraulic, steam test or checking the silver soldering during the construction stage. If as he says" Some havn't got a clue", surely that is up to the Societies governing body,who must have agreed to them filling the position, to find someone else that can do the job.. I do not think that our Societies fill the boiler testers positions with idiots or people that don't know what to do. The boiler test code books are mainly easy to follow and in for our Society, Allan Reid of the NAME is always easy to get hold of.

So to finish off, is it right to call people down within this forum?.

Thread: Painting 5" gauge wheels.
16/04/2019 08:48:02

At the stage when I could paint my Horwich Crab wheels. What is the best paint to use, satin black?.

Thread: Gordon Smith safety valve spring
03/04/2018 15:32:08

Firstly let me start by saying the Gordon's range of safety valves were designed to over come the accumulation problems that most of the other designs didn't do. Also to stop the boiler emptying on the first lift, like some of the other designs did. They were also designed to work at 100psi. At other pressures, they needed some very small changes. My Jinty runs at 90psi and he very kindly helped me with the smallest of changes. I remade the ball shrouds .005 bigger in diameter. Also when I first made them the finish on the stems wasn't good enough, mainly because I had made them in stainless and not brass, and he very kindly took them home and sorted them out for me, including a computer listing of all the actions of both valves. Another reason they were designed was to get away from 'chopping' a length of spring of a longer length. He insisted on using the right spring with close coiled ends. I know for a fact that all his designs were tested on an electrically powered boiler at 3.4kw and 5.7kw, so if the valve could cater for the higher output, you could be pretty certain of it working on the your boiler. None of his designs were put on the market before they worked properly I do feel it wrong when someone says that some of his designs did not work, when I know the testing procedures that he went through. I think any problems could be do to a manufacturing error

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 03/04/2018 16:06:03

Thread: Horwich Crab Boiler
07/01/2015 08:57:40

Good Morning, Could anyone out there that has built the Don Young 5" Crab help me with advice. Could you say what size Blast Pipe that you are running with, and what are the fittings for on the elbows at the bottom of the steam inlet Standpipes for. Don mentions Condensate Traps in his articles in LLAS. I thought they were for the lubricators at first but, I think I am right in saying, that these feeds go straight into the piston valves.

Regards Keith Bloor

Edited By JasonB on 07/01/2015 09:42:10

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest