By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mikelkie

Here is a list of all the postings Mikelkie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Looking for rectangle metal bar
03/10/2017 21:03:19

Here near my shop is a dealer that buys redundant metals of all sorts and resells them at a price less than a third of the cost of new, isn't there metal mongers that do the same over by you guys?

Thread: Fate telling me not to do something
17/08/2017 18:33:19

It's called "buyers remorse" David i suffer it too now and thensad

Thread: 4" x 6" modern Belt/Disc sander motor
11/08/2017 18:28:30

Note that the core laminations of chinese motors are mostly recycled steel and very seldom proper silicon iron is used for making cores. This results in poor performance and to make matters worse aluminium (loominum)wire is used as well which does not have the same electromagnetic properties as copper. The company that our business uses for rewinds absolutely refuses to rewind these motors. One can usually judge by the weight of any motor what the quality is. Some info from the winders: 50 hz x 60 sec x 2 = 6000 . 6000 devided by the number of poles times pf = rpm. (friction & other losses excluded)

Thread: Speed of 4jaw chucks
09/08/2017 19:55:04

i worked on a Antonio Anselmi lathe with a 18in. 4 jaw, and on the machine is a warning notice "max speed on the 4 jaw chuck 270 rpm"

Thread: Variable Speed RF45 Clone or Geared Head?
05/08/2017 20:34:42

Table looks light and flimsy, geared head nice but are gears hardened & ground or plastic / fibre? 2.2Kw motor for a R8 spindle nice and strong, Rather go for Bridgeport

Edited By Mikelkie on 05/08/2017 20:35:52

Thread: Cleaning acid etch primer off brushes
05/08/2017 18:59:00

I do what Andrew J does. Thinners, paint remover and cleaning agents are to expensive to waste on relatively cheap paint brushes, not to mention the waist of time cleaning them.

Thread: Corrosive liquids. ...................................
15/07/2017 17:33:56

Who are these attackers, have they been identified?

Thread: Lathe
26/06/2017 19:31:46

Good machine, worth rebuilding pity you can't keep it sad

Thread: ALBA 2S Shaper Refurbishment - Lots of questions!
25/06/2017 18:31:06

Klopp 550Klopp 550Klopp 550Joe I upgraded from my Alba to a Klopp 550 which was sold to a dealer, perhaps he may part with this machine again as he refurbishes machine tools. I will find out and if it's a fair deal i will let you have his details he is in JHB Mike.Klopp 550

Edited By Mikelkie on 25/06/2017 18:33:23

Thread: Reducing Bush
23/06/2017 19:58:43

Come on guys i'm sure there's someone out there to make the man a bush only a few minutes ??surprise

Thread: What's causing these bands on a turned rod?
16/06/2017 19:08:29

I've encountered this effect too some time back on my Chipmaster which had two matched driving belts and after removing one belt the problem went away. They were shaking when the machine runs. I assume that there must some uneveness in multi belts that cause a "tuned vibrato" or harmonics that carries this over to the cutting tool. I noticed at the time that the banding varies in broadness and intervals at different speeds and od of the work.

Thread: Brown-out Protector project.
10/06/2017 19:53:48

From time to time some gimmicks appear on the market, i have confidence only in the proven products that served industry for many decades, I refer to a simple unit that plugs into a 11 pin base which is adjustable for the percentage of protection required, over volt and under volt. A sales person once tried to sell me a REVOLUTIONERY new product for electric water heaters that will bring your elect consumption down by 50%. after listening to this man for some time, i asked him if his trying to tell me that there's no relationship between ohms, volts and amps. He could not tell me the difference between inductive and resistive load. I however offered my company to be an outlet for his "wonder" product on condition that a unit be sent to us for testing and examination over a period in our lab, needless to say i never heard from him again. I'm unable to read the description on the pic above and agree that under volt will not let the motor start and burn out, but disagree with the statement that under volt will cause an increase in current, see Ohm's Law

Edited By Mikelkie on 10/06/2017 19:58:37

Thread: Unable to upload foto's
29/05/2017 20:04:13

For the last week or so the answer comes back 'the site cannot be reached"

when i tried to upload pic's any ideas?

Thread: Did we go to the moon in 1969
27/05/2017 20:45:53

But why haven't they made a return visit to the moon ??

Thread: Bennys Tools
22/05/2017 21:19:38

Nice workmanship,,,i likewink

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
10/05/2017 19:38:23

I hope Joe isn't going to actually do work on that nice looking Emco, shavings will spoil the good looks of it!sad

Thread: Rusty lathe for sale
07/05/2017 20:43:59

To think that some time back a guy uncrated his new Boxford with great enthusiasm laugh

Thread: Boring copper tube problems
20/04/2017 15:54:00

I've used cream mixed with meths 50/50 on copper turning with exilent results... a tip from the late Arthur Presscot.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
17/04/2017 16:48:56

Put about a 1 inch thick bronze floor into my furnace today. Weighed out 15 kg material to do some castings for a loco, put it into the new preheated crucible, turn the furnace on in the meantime getting the molds ready and had breakfast. 30 min later things looked just fine, waited 30 min more and getting ready for the pour and to my dismay the crucible was empty bottom cracked right off, hence the new bronze floor. Will check in the morning what i can do to save my furnace S..t !

Thread: Bandsaw woes
10/04/2017 22:01:04

Check if the blade guide or roller hasn't come loose and/or pinching the blade when it comes to rest on the stock being cut. Bad alignment can also cause nasty things

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest