By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mikelkie

Here is a list of all the postings Mikelkie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: a little diversion
10/10/2021 15:59:58

I like Macolm's explanation (3)

Thread: Crankshaft Factory
02/10/2021 20:31:26

Where am I (or us)?. slip guages, dro's, sine bars, cnc, qtp's etc etc will take me a lifetime making on of those as someone said in a James Watt like workshop. Good video though

Edited By Mikelkie on 02/10/2021 20:32:23

Thread: joy valve gear (Derby 4f)
10/09/2021 20:19:45

Wanted to build a Derby 4f myself experience difficulties with the drawing some 25 years ago, gave it away and did a Simplex instead. I suspect Don Young's drawings had some incorrect measurements

Thread: Electric motor speed
04/09/2021 21:45:06

Commonly called a universal motor, not to be run without load

Thread: Gas Burners for boiler
31/08/2021 20:58:33

Hi Matt Stevens, check out my photo album for pics of a round gas burner that i made long ago. i'm using it on my vertical boiler also 6 inch in dia. It is quite easy to make in any size and performs well. pm me if more info needed Regards Mike

Thread: Overheated Drill
31/08/2021 18:23:58
Posted by John Haine on 31/08/2021 16:52:24:

Builders I have spoken to don't expect even quite expensive drills to last much more than a year or two.

Correct. the smaller drills and angle grinders became a consumable item i go through 3 each annually and

bin them, not worth even opening them.

Thread: Boiler Fittings
11/06/2021 17:33:51

J Bay regretfully is no longer in business as Mr Heydenrych retired about three years ago. Made wonderful stuff for the ME enthusiasts.

Thread: Injector LBSC type
26/05/2021 18:10:19
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 26/05/2021 12:50:26:

I am under way in making one of LBSC's injectors for a 5" SPEEDY loco.

It seemed a simpler idea once the body was made to make what was described as a "Slotted Cone" for the combining cone. as detailed in the attached drawing.

Can someone explain what the slots in the sides of the cone do and should those slots pierce the Venturi which passes through the cone?

injectordetails.jpgDAG Brown's book on injectors explains it all very well

Thread: Lathe Motor running Lumpy :-)
15/05/2021 17:56:41

Check the function and condition of the centrifugal switch if fitted

Thread: Long Term Planning or No planning!
13/05/2021 20:38:07
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 13/05/2021 20:02:13:

If that was down my way, I think most of those poles would be long gone by now, and the cable with them.

You see, we have what are called "Travellers" over here, who can and do remove anything which is not nailed down, and even then ! Helps to tidy up the place, sort of !

Larry it sounds if you in South Africa somewhere.

Thread: To gib or not to gib?
04/05/2021 19:59:39

Leave well enough alone, if there is a nylon or bronze wad between the locking screw/s and inner surface i think that will suffice.

Thread: Safety Switch Wiring
27/04/2021 18:25:14

Check if the coil voltage is for 380 or 220 volt, that may be your problem.

Thread: New shaft in Oilite bushes?
27/04/2021 18:11:08
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 31/08/2020 22:03:28:
Posted by old mart on 31/08/2020 21:32:48:

While you are about it, why not make an extra shaft, then you can be sure that the first one you fitted will last forever.

Such cynicism I expect from the young, not someone signing themselves as OLD Mart! 😂😂

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 31/08/2020 22:05:05

The "OLD" in Old Mart means he spoke of a lifetime experience wink

Thread: Calling all Colchester Bantam owners.
24/04/2021 21:27:09

Very nice and enjoyable machine but you will be buying tooling and things ..but wait until you see what comes with it.

Thread: What to do when you lose something
24/04/2021 21:21:33

What is ones chance of finding a way to stop small items falling on your foot and always find itself under a machine or table ? I decided one day to remove the work bench and clean the workshop, the list of long gone things will be several pages!

Thread: New scam to beware of
02/12/2020 19:02:24

A very well spoken lady from the UK called me and told me that a cousin of mine passed on a while ago, and left me one hundred and fifty five thousand pound which a haven't claimed yet if i would furnish her with my bank details and id number she will do the transfer. Problem is my cousin left England 18 years ago and died 5 years later in Canada as a pauper. Not all South Africans are idiots

Thread: Shaper in action
28/11/2020 17:46:10

Hi fellow M E's

Has anyone ever built a working model of an Alldays & Onions or similar pneumatic hammer?,

i'm unable to find drawings of such. Can anyone perhaps help?

Regards to all

Mike

Thread: Troubleshooting Instructions
18/10/2020 19:15:02

It's like the help button on computer programs, your problem is not listed!

Thread: Music in the Workshop
03/08/2020 11:40:20
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 02/08/2020 11:15:13:

Hello folks,

I'm one of those who like to have ClassicFM burbling away in the background when in the workshop, and have noticed a change these last few months, indeed ClassicFM themselves are trumpeting that they have cut down on the chit-chat and upped the music. Great, I like it, although it does concern me a little bit about the costs of providing such a service without ads to pay for it. They have even started playing music without announcing it first, but I think they have always done that to a limited extent.

Anyway, yesterday, they surpassed themselves. About 16:20, they started playing Beethoven's 6th Symphony, The Pastoral, and they didn't finish until a little before 17:00 hours. Superb, the full symphony, uncluttered with extraneous unneeded comments, no ads, no break at 16:30, as the saying goes, The Full Monty. Absolutely wonderful to have such fine music filling the workshop. Thanks ClassicFM.

There is, for me anyway, a downside in that I find my attention drifting from the work in hand whilst I listen to the music which obviously delays completion of the project, but I wonder, do other people have this problem or is it just me?

There is, of course, some so-called clasical music which I do not like, eg Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue which I absolutely detest - it leaves me shaky, so much so that now I switch off the radio as soon as iI hear the introductory notes. I also find that some of this so-called English music, eg George Butterworth's Banks of Green Willows just boring, on the other hand Mozart cannot do any wrong.

What do other people think about classical music, pet hates & dislikes, and likes. Over to you.

Peter G. Shaw

I listened to classics all my live (my doggies too) I the occasional rubbish comes on i can at the push of a button turn on Mantovani or Hooked on classics or the like. In comparison modern stuff in abrasive to my mind and soul.

Well said Peter

Thread: Milling Machine Table Repairs
06/07/2020 20:02:38

I filled some holes in my day on b/port tables if holes are not to big i reamed and turn up a peg from good quality cast iron and drive in with a hammer an finally stone to a almost invisible finish

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
BOLDON
emcomachinetools
walker midge
Warco
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest