By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mark costello 1

Here is a list of all the postings mark costello 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vice
22/10/2021 19:57:40

Is Your vise made of Aluminum?

Thread: Saving the Planet or is it ?
21/10/2021 19:22:25

A study posted "on the Internet" stated if all roofs in big cities were white colored it would reflect 10 percent of the heat back. No one thing will fix it all, but a lot of little steps might help.

Thread: SKY abandoning their satellite customers
12/10/2021 18:10:50

Over here They take what They want, put up the poles and when another Company wants to use the poles, They have to rent (pole rights it;s called) space on the poles. Profit does not trickle down to Land owners. Cell phone towers do pay rent to landowners tho. Once the first permission is given all future right of ways can be increased without any recourse. County ownes something like 40' from the center of the road. We still pay taxes on it all.

Edited By mark costello 1 on 12/10/2021 18:13:38

Thread: Large grinding wheels
09/10/2021 17:00:45

Now You need a centerless grinder.

Thread: Scam? Definitely!
28/09/2021 17:47:02

Same here all the way across the pond.

Thread: Not enoughh CO2 ?
21/09/2021 19:37:07
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 21/09/2021 09:55:04:

Posted by not done it yet on 21/09/2021 09:03:34:

How more stupid can the human race get?

No need to be more stupid than we already are! Give up energy today for reasons I don't understand? Party on, and sod the consequences. And anyway, as we'll all be dead before the result of burning gigantic quantities of fossil fuels gets really bad, there's no reason for silly old duffers to change.

All you have to do is denounce 'Greens', 'Tree-huggers', scientific consensus and all the evidence that anything is wrong. Unfortunately the evidence of climate change is still quite subtle, and many people won't believe it until they are personally effected. Central London flooded twice in 10 years might do it, and the probability of it happening is rising!

Thing is humanity are plain bad at assessing risk. This is true even when people understand the problem, and worse when there are vested interests. When it comes to risk we are all thickos, but some are thicker than others. Some people really believe the world is flat, and the moon landings were faked, and that Stalin was an Uncle Joe.

Dave

Some would take that as a challenge.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
21/09/2021 19:35:13

You could easily make this style of knurler, I did and it works well.https://www.google.com/search?q=hand+made+scissors+knurler&sxsrf=AOaemvLEB-6rKa2KU335WMdv54PsBnAr9g:1632249154790&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=k9io-Qtn1d7kmM%252C2lEwJiGckNlaMM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kT5EXErYHC0vgcE1uYdHzk5EpwKlg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjn77j42ZDzAhUEbc0KHb4BC_oQ9QF6BAgJEAE#imgrc=k9io-Qtn1d7kmM

I've never posted a link so I hope it works well. If it offends some how please delete.

Thread: They see you coming
10/09/2021 19:19:54

I traded a pick up truck in on another newer one. After waiting around for an hour for the deal to be closed I hunted up the salesman to find what was wrong. He told Me They had to call in Their oldest mechanic as the young Boys could not operate a "three on the tree."

Edited By mark costello 1 on 10/09/2021 19:20:15

08/09/2021 21:44:33

How many carry red road flares?

Thread: UK fires up old coal power plant as gas prices soar
07/09/2021 17:41:21

Steam power forever!wink

Thread: Why do designers do this!!
07/09/2021 17:37:44

The longer it takes to change something out, the more the dealer (stealer) gets to charge.

Thread: Disposal of swarf
07/09/2021 17:08:15

All metal chips I make gets recycled, darn the cost, just get it to where it gets reused.

Thread: Governor drive belt
03/09/2021 20:51:05

Skived and endless would work.

Skiving a Bando type belt would work also.

Thread: Build a Pallet Beehive
26/08/2021 16:59:46

Would those hives make a net gain in the bee population?

Thread: Aging fingers
26/08/2021 16:54:33

I worked with a Big,Strong Guy who had the carpal surgery done in one wrist. He lost about 1/2 the strength in that hand, which was still plenty left. That is why I did not want surgery. The Therapist said that at that time They would not make the remedy public and it was only used with Therapists Who went to the Courses at Their school. I also tried it with Achillies tendon slowly rupturing and it did not help there. The neck exercises help almost immediately, if You do them and it is not the problem then the exercises cause pain and have to be stopped. Self regulating.

25/08/2021 18:43:20

I had carpal tunnel syndrome and quite by accident I found a physical therapist who was trained to do the Hughston set of exercises. I had relief in 2-3 days. My arm had gone atrophic and has fully recovered with no surgery. No other Doctor that I have found around here has heard of them, it is basically a pinched nerve at the base of the skull and the exercises take the pressure off. You might give it a try but seems hard to find.

Edited By mark costello 1 on 25/08/2021 18:46:38

Thread: The "Lost art of hardening copper"
20/08/2021 19:46:16

I saw a show that said the copper was used as a saw (or lapping) blade to saw the blocks out. Makes sense as saw marks are visible. What is also interesting is that in South America some of the locals said the old timers (wink) had a way of softening the rock to make it conform to the rock below. They said putting some kind of wet plants on the rocks made the rock soft.

Thread: GigaFactory
08/08/2021 18:57:10

How much would it help if cars all had a solar panel on their roofs?

Thread: Metric thread dimension wanted.
31/07/2021 21:06:34

Found the Presto Counselor and Down loaded it. MaryLand Metric used to be My go to source but the Company went bust and several places publish the charts and caution is advised.

31/07/2021 20:48:56

I have an early version of the Machinist hand book. Printed before Metric was common over here. Many thread charts, much Google. Zeus Book is rare over here, never seen one.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
BOLDON
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest