By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Simpson 1

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Simpson 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tender wheels
21/10/2020 13:43:37

I'm in the process of machining my 5" gauge tender wheels. The drawings show the tread at 3.5" diameter and parallel. Should they not be machined with about 2 degree taper?

Thread: Boiler flanging plates
15/10/2020 09:09:59

I'm considering make the boiler flanging plates for my 5" gauge BR Standard 2. Is there a rule of thumb of how smaller than finished size should the forming plates. Does anybody know of a supplier of finished forming plates. Reeves do not sell them any more.

Thread: Boiler making
29/09/2020 20:54:11

I have the skills and machines make a 5" gauge loco. Is it a quantum leap to fabricate the boiler. I realise the cost of the raw material is high but is it in the realms of a novice to make the boiler ????

Thread: Spline shaft
08/09/2020 19:31:30

I do have a milling machine and a rotary table with an stock. What tool would I use in the milling machine ?

08/09/2020 19:21:48

The clutch on my Boxford ME is acting up. I would like to make a new eccentric drive pin. The operating handle end of the drive pin is about 3/8" diameter but it has splines on it. Is it possible to to machine splines ?

Thread: Tender wheels
28/08/2020 15:51:31

Hi all, I have come to the point on my 5" gauge BR 3 tender that the wheels need to be made. The easy but expensive option would be to buy the castings (£157). As I have a decent milling machine, lathe and rotary table would it be practical to machine them from solid bar stock cast iron or steel. Can anybody tell me how many spokes the BR 3 tender has ?

Thread: Do you clean the workshop up every day?
21/08/2020 19:03:13

I'm terrible for not cleaning up at the end of the day. I usually have to give the workshop a good clean up after I have finished a particular phase of a project. Over the last few weeks I have been making the Springs, buckles and hangers for my tender. The workshop looked like a bomb site this afternoon. Job stopped and clean up started.

Thread: 10 SWG spring steel strip
29/05/2020 16:39:32

Sorry guy's senior moment it was 0.0120 not 0.120 should have gone to spec savers of a drive to Barnard Castle !

29/05/2020 10:31:14

Hi All,

Does anybody know a supplier of 10 SWG x 3/8" spring steel strip. It's for the springs on my 5" gauge tender Reeves do it but only one inch wide ?

Thread: Tom Senior Advice needed
09/05/2020 15:57:42

As Simon says, use 12 mm screwed rod, nuts and washers to pull the nut out of the casting, beware that two grub screws have not been used to secure the nut into the casting. I renewed both the X and Y nuts last year. Runs really nice now.

Thread: Armourtek Tanks
01/05/2020 19:42:04

Are these worthy model engineering models or just big expensive kits. You could buy small car with the total price of their tiger tank !

Thread: 5" gauge tender horns
16/04/2020 09:42:40

Hi Trevor nothing has arrived in my in box.

Thanks

Peter

15/04/2020 09:35:20

Trevor how did your soldering jig work. trying to work out design that will not get soldered to the angle iron,

Peter

Thread: [Beginner] How do I adjust the gibs on a milling machine?
13/04/2020 16:36:27

I have a Light vertical and an M1 both gibs are identical, Not sure about the age of the M1 photoed above but it's not the same as mine. Both of my machines have the long X axis gib which is adjusted with two large headed screws which work from both ends of the table and lock the gib into position.

13/04/2020 16:36:26

I have a Light vertical and an M1 both gibs are identical, Not sure about the age of the M1 photoed above but it's not the same as mine. Both of my machines have the long X axis gib which is adjusted with two large headed screws which work from both ends of the table and lock the gib into position.

Thread: 5" gauge tender horns
08/04/2020 17:47:35

Trevor thanks for your suggestion That's the way I will go.

07/04/2020 17:48:17

BR standard class 2

07/04/2020 17:31:50

I have just fabricated the frames for my tender. Now looking to make the horns, Reeves can supply the casting at £96, this is to steep for me. Can anybody suggest a suitable method and materials to fabricate horns without using castings ?

Thread: What are you doing to stay safe
29/03/2020 11:25:10

Living in a very small village in North Yorkshire it's been even quieter than normal, went to get some odd's and ends, in Helmsley last Friday the market square was like a ghost town.

Staying in the garden, workshop etc most days. I do some pest control for local farmers which gets me out in the fields, Shooting Corvids and Pigeons over newly drilled spring barley. Never see a sole other than tractors at about 500 yards.

Living in the sticks has it's drawbacks but could not cope living in the likes of London. Got my bottle of Whiskey and red wine so quite content at the moment.

Thread: safety valve problem
09/03/2020 22:04:45

In my previous live as maintenance supervisor on an offshore oil platform we maintained 1" x 1" domestic hot water to 6" X 8" Hydrocarbon Pressure Safety Valves. I hated them but the larger valves were easier to maintain and recertify than the smaller ones. We used a contract valve company to overhaul and recertify them, They were brilliant at sorting them. Never want to see a PSV again.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest