By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for stevetee

Here is a list of all the postings stevetee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BSW/BSF vs BSC
02/11/2015 01:50:31

If your Beeza C15 is 59 plate , then it won't have any unified threads, they started to come in , on British bikes at least, in the latter half of the sixties. All the threads into ally will be whitworth with the other end of the stud being either BSF or Cycle threads depending on the job. Cycle threads are generally all 26 tpi so once you get over 1/4 5/16 sizes cycle threads will appear to be much finer threads.. The rocker caps for example will be cycle threads. most of the bolts in the gearbox clutch and crankcase area are if I remember rightly have BSF nuts. The spanner sizes are , as I'm sure you know , slightly different to the unified "AF" sizes. The Haynes manual for BSA unit singles is a particularly bad one if I remember, the frame illustrated in the manual is the latest type used from about 1968, not much use on a bike introduced in about 1958. If you have the gearbox down change the detent spring, they are fairly notorious for going and a pia to change.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
01/11/2015 20:29:21

There is a bloke near here who takes his wooden vehicles fairly seriously. Having read 'flying on 4 wheels' by Frank Costin he scratch built the trike below , wooden chassis, wooden body, wooden fuel tank, in only a few thousand hours. 602cc, 100+mph 55 mpg. Has been described as' the worlds most aerodynamic car in day to day use' I went on a trip to Zurich with the buider back in the day , someone said i would go out in a wooden car and come back in a wooden box. I didn't.  He has got bored with engins now and builds HPV's Human powerd vehiclestryane.jpgpict5437.jpg

Edited By stevetee on 01/11/2015 20:31:24

Thread: Motorcycle Restoration
30/10/2015 01:00:06

Please , please, convert the electrics to 12 volt, join the green and yellow and the green and black together on one side of the rectifier and the green and white on the other. the 6 volt systems were terrible............. ( why otherwise have an emergency start position?)

Thread: Prevention of seizure in aluminium threads
17/10/2015 23:15:27

I was having a discussion about corrosion in Aluminium brake calipers with a bloke in the the technical department of a large automotive part manufacturer and he said ' that he wished Coppaslip had never been invented as the copper element of it actually made electrolytic corrosion in aluminium worse'. We discussed how it is really a high temperature clay based lubricant to stop exhaust manifold nuts etc seizing, not as a day to day thread seizure lubricant.

Edited By stevetee on 17/10/2015 23:28:13

Thread: Drawing Projections
14/10/2015 20:05:47

You have to remember that the first version of the metric system was the CGS system , centimetre / gram /seconds as base units. At school I learnt about fluid densities in grams per cc for example and indeed engines sizes are still measured in cc's or litres. Then during my school career it all changed to the MKS system , metre kilogramme second became the base units. Out of this grew the SI system which is what we use now , with complete harmonisation of all units around the base units. So out with Maxwells Henrys erg and dynes and in with Webers, Coulombs and Joules ( he was a salford brewer you know). They still use Whitworth threads on BSP fittings and no has ever come up with a better system, and long may it persist.

Thread: Looks like MOSI is closing
11/10/2015 14:22:48

Seems odd considering the following :

**LINK**

Thread: another compressor question
12/08/2015 23:14:29

Because switching off at the switch vents pressure from the line between the pump and the reservoir, so that when the motor restarts it is against no load. If the motor is switched off externally then pressure is left in the pipe so the motor could be starting against 80 psi or more.

Thread: Locking nut
17/07/2015 12:43:21

Lets look at how this nut was made in the first place .

Bar turned and threaded from hex with a semi domed end.

Mounted in miller , 3 cuts with slit saw at 120 deg to give six castleations.

At this stage there is no thread locking property, I would suggest that the next process is to crush the castleations slightly to give a certain amount of locking, by tightening the threads up.

Zinc plated and sent to the stores.

The nut has now been off several times since it was made in 197? ( I have an identical nut on my 1973 Honda XL too) so the castleations will have deflected back somewhat thereby reducing their pinch on the threads.

Would it not be possible to re crush the castleations by squeezing them up in a 3 jaw chuck , or indeed clobbering them with a hammer until the required amount of pinch is acheived.

Thread: EN24 Heat Treatment
16/07/2015 18:11:08

Just an observation , but zinc plated mild steel 'u' bolts 8mm diameter are available in sizes from about 30mm up around 100mm as ' Exhaust U Bolts' from a Motor Factors for literally pennies each. Or even the popular online auction site , such as **LINK**

Thread: MIG Brazing
04/06/2015 16:16:13

Just a couple of points,

Carbon arc pencils are available on 'a certain internet auction site' both gouging and brazing types seem to be available.

You will need a full electric arc mask for the brazing pencil attachment, if you try and use just gas brazing goggles , you'll end up in hospital with arc eye. You need to cover up your face and neck as well.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
31/05/2015 01:59:12

sorry wrong place

Edited By stevetee on 31/05/2015 01:59:37

Edited By stevetee on 31/05/2015 02:00:27

Thread: If I were going there...
31/05/2015 01:46:17

My cheap pillar drill , bless it's heart, bends like crazy when you press on a bit . I don't have the maths to prove it but, I would have thought that with a longer column, it would twist like the Cavern Club back in the 1960's

Thread: Myford ML10 thread size
28/03/2015 22:11:24

I can't believe this, I had exactly the same query about a month ago. Exactly the same thread on what is effectively exactly the same machine . Why, because like you I want to change the existing lever for a handwheel , just like yourself. Happily I can confirm that the thread is indeed 5/16" BSF. Tracy tools will sort you out a tap for not too much money. I paid a fiver (GBP) for a hand wheel with a keyway at a classic bike show. My machine is actually a late Speed Ten and still uses BSF threads, ( which were superceded in the war) so I imagine that anything older will undoubtedly be BSF.

Thread: What have you recycled today?
16/03/2015 00:05:18

When I was a youngster we used to go scavenging on the tip round the back of Woodford Aerodrome or as older people would have called it Avros. It was a good place to get scrap aluminium not un surprisingley. The dump was beyond the wire fence bearing the legend 'This is a restricted place within the meaning of the official secrets act'. We wondered if it meant the tip , but I guess they were talking about inside the fence. And what could we see.... Dozens and dozens of Vulcans Victors and Valiants all parked up, presumably semi - redundant. What a sight. Until they built the second runway at Ringway Woodford had a considerably longer runway and the two were probably only 3 or 4 miles apart. Its all gone now knocked down to build houses, I can see it now 'Vulcan Drive ' 'Lancaster Avenue' and so on. Anyway I'm still here re using whatever I can, nothing gets thrown away here until it's been picked over.

Thread: Silly Question Time
13/01/2015 14:21:30

A long time since I worked in Engineering , but .189 is 1 1/2 thou larger than 3/16" . So a 3/16 rivet or screw would go through the hole, but it would be quite a tight ( transitional) fit. Does that make any sense.

Where I worked it would have been represented as 3/16+.0015 , probably with some limits applied . From what I remember if just the size in fractions was given it would be plus or minus .005 , the .198 would represent a dimension with a tight tolerance on it.

Thread: Making and using a broach
08/01/2015 23:15:06

This of any use?

**LINK**

Thread: Lister Diesel Engine
08/01/2015 15:05:15

I wonder if it's at all possible that these might be the same highly respected enginers who will send an apprentice off to the stores for a long stand, or a safe edge for a file, or off on any other false errand around the factory for a bit of fun. Machining castings for 50 years can be rather boring at times ( haha) and occasionally the older tradesmen might liven their working day up by having a bit of fun at the expense of a newcomer, sometimes without them even realising , if it was done well.

Seriously though think about it, if you paint a piece of wood or spill some paint on concrete, you can see the paint soak in and that just doesn't happen with steel or cast iron does it? I would agree with the comments above from Gordon W, that is that castings were just put outside to weather, often for years on end. I'd rather this doesn't degenerate into a yes it did, no it didn't type post, but without a rational explanation or any evidence confirming the practice, I think you might have been misled.

08/01/2015 08:41:10

I think that these tales of burying castings ' so they absorb minerals from the ground' is complete nonsense. I don't see a permable material that anything could absorb into. To get iron to absorb carbon we have to heat it to several hundred degrees and leave it in a special compound to get carbon to a depth of 1mm or so. ( case hardening) Surely iron and steel are used because they are not permable. Castings retain their shape and integrity for long periods of time apart from reacting with oxygen.

03/01/2015 01:39:05

When I worked for a Diesel engine manufacturer, some years ago it must be said, all the castings and certainly the larger ones were left outside to weather for a year or two. I believe this was to de stress the castings . Apparently the areas with the most stresses would corrode the most and eventually the castings would settle down and be ready for machining. It must be said that these castings would be considerably larger than those which might be seen inthe Lister factory.

Thread: Shed Lady
19/09/2014 20:59:00

I had one of those frying pans , with a cast handle, oven proof yes but not user friendly. I cut off the cast handle leaving a stub about an inch long. I cut a piece of pipe about 8" long that slips over the stub handle. A shortened nail drilled through and peened over fastens the new handle on. It remains cool when the pan is on the stove. It can still be used in the oven.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest