By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for stevetee

Here is a list of all the postings stevetee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Merlin Grinder ?
08/02/2016 22:06:43

With scrap prices at the level they are now I'm sure the scrap yard would be happy to take a few quid for the grinder. I wouldn't have even left it there, I would have hoiked it out there and then. Somebody on the forum would be glad of it, surely ( waving hand from the back of the classroom). Anything would be better than it being broken up for scrap and sent off to China to be made into bendy pillar drills etc.

The company I once worked for were taken over by the losers in the last lot . As they asset stripped the company they scrapped a Waldorf - Coburg Planar mill with a table length of nearly 100 feet as they ' didn't want the competition to get their hands on it'. Criminal really.

Thread: Miniature tools
29/01/2016 20:02:50

Excuse my ignorance , but what sort of size are these tools?

Thread: Plating nuts and bolts
24/01/2016 19:55:19

If it was just nuts and bolts it would be straightforward enough, but when you get on to 5/16 CEI half domed head bolts , things are not so simple, buying new ones isn't really an option. Also there is the myriad number of little brackets and other associated parts that are manufacturer specific. If it was just bolts I would buy new, if I lived somewhere civilised enough to have a platers within a 150 mile round trip then I would have them all barrel rolled for a very reasonable price, but I don't.

After a plater lost a load of irreplacebale motorcycle parts I thought 'right I'm not doing that again' I bought a plating kit off Gateros, several years ago now. They have been more than helpful with telephone enquiries and free top ups over the years. They have now started a zinc/ nickel kit which sounds very attractive , I'm hoping they will upgrade me from my zinc kit. Whether Gateros will do that or not I have no hesitation in recommending them and their plating kits.

Thread: To grind or not to grind...
22/01/2016 19:45:45

Thing is see that the three jaw is entirely dependant on the accuracy of the internal scroll that screws the jaws in and out. You might put a 60mm or a 40mm bar in and have the runout in an entirely different place. I was taught that so as not to damage the scroll we should be moderate with the force that we use to tighten the 3 jaw up in case we damaged the scroll , so no hide mallets or lengths of pipe on the chuck key then...... It might be worth removing the jaws ( which are normally numbered) and cleaning the scroll in case there are any chips or bits of swarf caught in it. Then lubricate before refitting the jaws. I use ACL, which is fluid grade of grease.

Edited By stevetee on 22/01/2016 19:59:47

Thread: Drawbar fittings for lathes
17/01/2016 21:21:18

Villiers motorcycles used to use a self extractor on the flywheel. Basically the nut holding the flywheel had a flange on it which was held captive by a cover plate screwed on to the flywheel . when the nut was unscrewed it would come loose for a turn or two, then it would bear on the cover plate , a further twist of the nut ( perhaps using a block of wood or a hammer) would release the taper. I would have thought that it would be reasonably easy to re design the draw bar nut and the nut holding the pulley on to provide some thing similar.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
14/01/2016 14:53:12

When I worked in Engineering ,we had an inspector on our bay day and night. His job was to check the job and make sure that partsd were within tolerance. Our job was to get one past the inspector and then get the rest of the batch rushed off before he came round checking again as the pre war machinery wandered in and out of tolerance. Everything seemed to work OK though and we mourn the passing of British engineering. If we insist on buying far eastern products we get what we pay for.

Thread: Myford Ml7
13/01/2016 00:57:56

Even when you get smaller tooling , you still have to faff about getting the top of the tool exactly at the centre of the job, so it cuts right, there is no tool that's just right straight from the shop. You have to shim under the tool with thin shims or bits of sheet metal to bring the nose of the tool up to the right height. If it's too high, you are stuffed as I discovered with my ML10 , I'm now on 1/4 " thick tools with the quick change toolpost.

Edited By stevetee on 13/01/2016 00:58:34

Thread: Fish out of water
10/01/2016 19:58:52

I would have thought there was a ready market hereabouts for klein bottles, handy for keeping all sorts of things in........

Thread: Italian Motorcycles.
31/12/2015 13:57:14

**LINK**

Thread: Rotating Centre Problems
30/12/2015 19:42:43

A tenth of a thou is a heck of a tolerance on an axle, and indeed a heck of a tolerance on a lathe. In all my time in engineering I only had one job where any tolerance was less than 0.001". I would think the level of accuracy you are trying to acheive will be difficult to get.

Thread: How are people finding Windows 10?
30/12/2015 19:17:48

How are people finding Windows 10?

All over my computer everytime I turn it on! It is asking me to upgrade. No thanks, the not very old saying , " If something is free it is the user that is being sold" is very true, and so I don't want it, thanks. I think windows is finished , how do I know , when I leaned forward and tried to use my laptop as a touch screen and had to go back to the ' old fashioned ' mouse to move round the screen. I think touch screen technology will wipe the floor with Windows in the next few years. As for Win 10 I went into system 32 and changed the folder GWX to ' dont GWX' now the annoying reminders have gone away.

30/12/2015 00:05:17

Oh Yes. I get more enjoyment out of this than, well a lot of things really. It's a combination of green laning, map reading and navigation,and at the events I've attended the emphasis is on having fun rather than winning. The first event I attended was the Taffy Dakar event in Wales ( would you believe) based around the south of the Brecon Beacons national park. I became aware of a ' similar' event in Ireland, would you believe the Paddy Dakar event, which I believe was the original event of it's kind. The regs have just gone up for the 2016 Taffy Dakar, which surprisingly sold out in less than 24 hours in 2015, a bit like Glastonbury. The TD website is here**LINK** and you will find links through to the Irish event there. There are loads of videos of both events on Youtube. I enjoy the night stages in Ireland and the Green lanes of South Wales. It's not me in the pictures.

It looks a bit like this. _mg_7844.jpg

_mg_8097.jpgEdited By stevetee on 30/12/2015 00:05:52

Edited By stevetee on 30/12/2015 00:06:44

Edited By stevetee on 30/12/2015 00:07:14

Edited By stevetee on 30/12/2015 00:09:30

Thread: Prettiest Panther I've Seen
22/12/2015 23:45:26

The Cleckheaton pussy. I believe they stopped manufacture because Lucas stopped making Magdyno's and they weren't prepared to upgrade what was an obsolete machine to points coil and altenator.

A lad at school had one, they would call it a bobber now, purple cut off mudguard and apehangers, he broke his ankle starting it. What impressed me most ( as a14 y/o) was the car dynamo driven by an exposed chain off the end of the crank after the dynamo in the magdyno failed. The chain flailing around through the hole cut in the primary chaincase was a joy to behold.

20/12/2015 22:42:53

I do enjoy the old Cagiva, I've been entering a couple of orienteering events, one in Wales and one in Eire, for a year or two, trying to perfect my getting lost skills I picked up orienteering on school camp many years ago.

There is no doubt that the Italians have fully taken over from ' The prince of Darkness' in producing electrical equipment with the reputation of a high failure rate, mind you it works in conditions of extreme changes in temperature and humidity so a difficult environment. So far, it's hasn't broken down in service , you just find faults, that need fixing , like the oil pressure switch wire burnt nearly through on the exhaust pipe because all the wires, ignition, charging, warning lights etc all run between the 2 exhaust ports at the front of the engine, an inspired layout I have to say.

There is a lot more blue paper and grease carefully positioned than can be seen , but hopefully any bits of swarf that find their way into the oil should be caught by the paper element filter, a huge improvement on the coarse gauze filter on my old brit iron that would just about stop a dead bird or badger that got into the oil tank.

Thanks Wolfie,

Happy Christmas everyone.

Thread: A request
19/12/2015 22:04:35

img_0001.jpg

18/12/2015 19:03:28

As someone whose Great Grandfather was the licensee at the Commericial Hotel in Slaithwaite and therefore possibly qualified to comment on these matters, I would agree that the name of the town can be pronounced Slaweet, or Slathwitt, but never Slaith-wait. I can confirm that Bradford can be pronounced Bratfudd and that Huddersfield can also be spoken Huthersfield. As someone who was born in Cheshire however I can definitely confirm that the dialect in Stockport can be completely different from that spoken in Hyde, they are all of 5 miles apart.

03/12/2015 01:10:18

Please don't ask about how the text wrap has come about , I thought the pictures would be at the end.

03/12/2015 01:07:08

I have decided that I quite like Italian Motorcycles.To digressI spent some of the summer of 2013 clearing out my old Mums house 250 miles from where I live. When I returned home I looked at my motorcycle restoration project and thought ' Steve if you actually want to ride a bike , perhaps you should buy one as at current progress rates this one will be ready about the same time as your licence expires'.

To cut a long story short I went out and bought an Ex French army Cagiva 350 on a whim. It has some aspects of the ownership of a British bike in that it breaks down enough to keep me interested and on my toes. There are no spares available, except service items and second hand parts.

On the other hand, it doesn't actually break down when you are out on it, or shake itself to pieces, so it has some more pleasant aspects of modern bike ownership thrown in. The latest job is to rectify some stripped threads in the cam/ rocker cover and sort out the tappet screws , the ends of which were like threepenny bits.

p1150289.jpg p1150290.jpg

Edited By stevetee on 03/12/2015 01:08:48

Edited By Wolfie on 20/12/2015 10:43:43

Thread: Motorcycle Restoration
05/11/2015 18:14:09

John , I made some comments about this somewhere, I think there is now a 12volt conversion thread , but yes, Triumph BSA and others all fitted Lucas altenators and so the comments I made about 100w 3 wire and 150 w 2 wire altenators probably apply from Triumph T birds, Ceefers in about 1958/9 250/350/500/650 etc onwards all used identical components. I would always use a silicon rectifier , they cost next to nothing and are 100% reliable. The selenium ones fail when the paint cracks off if I remember. Whilst I love old bikes I have little time for this " Well it's a very nice restoration, but I can't help noticing that the speedometer cable is the wrong colour for the year" type mentality. The first thing people did when they bought a new bike was to take off the bath tub and fit clip ons and rear sets ( and later on maybe apehangers and banana seats), but the idea was to personalise your bike. Show room restorations are great ( if often over done nowadays) , but don't reflect what I saw in our works bike shed......................

Thread: BSA C15 upgrade to 12v electrics
02/11/2015 02:09:54

Back in the day I used to rewire quite a few British bikes for people. Apart from bulbs and coil really the only additional parts needed were a Lucas Zener diode and a 'battery eliminator' otherwise known as a 4700 micro farad electrolytic capacitor, which was great, as this was the biking on the dole era, how things have changed.

There were 2 altenators, the old 3 wire 6v altenator which would give 12v if the wires were joined as described previously ( G/w on one side of the altenator G/y +G/bk commoned together on the other). This would give about 100w at 12v . There was also the high output 150W 2 wire altenator. The best technology available then, the Zener diode acts like a weir, to hold the DC voltage at 13.8 volts, with any surplus shorting to earth through the Zener. A generous heat sink was a necessity. A battery could have course been used, but was considered an expensive luxury on apprentices wages/ the dole. Anything was better than the old 6v systems, not for nothing was Lucas nicknamed ''The prince of darkness', not fun being plunged into pitch black on a dark night. Modern systems using MOSFETs are I'm sure miles better

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest