By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for stevetee

Here is a list of all the postings stevetee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Antique car electrics
30/09/2019 12:19:29

On older French stuff it seems to be normal that the dip switch also works in the sidelight position , so

L= on sides> sides only or dip

P= headlight> dip or main ( as is common in UK)

but of course I don't know if this is the case on your Peugeot

Edited By stevetee on 30/09/2019 12:19:45

Edited By stevetee on 30/09/2019 12:20:08

Thread: machine coolant pipe
09/09/2019 20:11:39

Could you not get a flexible spout from one of those sealey type parts washers as a spare part and use that.

For example part number SM40D.V2-18 from a SM 19 parts washer.

Thread: strange power socket
16/08/2019 10:13:12

I'm not saying they all were , but some Wylex plugs were stackable, having socket capability on the rear of the plug.

The factory is still there , in Sharston , close to where the M56 spurs off from the M60. We used to go 'tracking' on our bikes on some waste land opposite the factory.

Thread: Upgrading to fibre optic broadband
31/07/2019 15:56:17

Talk talk are hopeless, I could go on but I won't. We changed to EE and I have just renewed the contract. We get all calls free to uk and 30 odd countries and 1000 minutes of calls to mobile plus Fibre broadband giving ( I'll just test it) with Which Latency =21ms Down= 70mbps up =19.1mbps. We pay £35 a month I'm pleased.

Thread: IC engine tractor conversion query
31/07/2019 15:46:44

I think it's fair to remind ourselves that whilst the petrol engine runs at full speed, it doesn't run at full load much of the time.

Thread: How to remove four jaw chuck screws?
13/06/2018 21:10:38

I'm thinking that those circular plugs at the rear of the chuck have some sort of forked section which locates in a groove in the screw holding the screw from moving along its axis. Maybe tap the plugs to take a length of screwed rod and then with a nut washer and a short length of pipe slowly extract the plug.

Thread: Cheap software
14/06/2017 20:29:00

You must know full well that it is of course pirated software, a quick check online shows that Photoshop CS3 is nearly £600 on Amazon. If the programme on the disc actually installs and runs it is very likely to include your special free gift, namely a trojan keylogger that will send home to daddy every so often all your passwords and logins for online banking , shopping and even the model engineers forum. I have a copy of Lexia software to run diagnostics on Citroens, it sends my anti virus mad even trying to install it, so I run it on a lap top that never goes anywhere near the internet.

Thread: CO2 Mig welding bottle
08/06/2017 20:34:46

If Its Bass bottle just exchange it at your local brewery suppliers. Or fiendly pub landlord. Pub bottles are used to pressurise ber, there are thousands of them on circulation at licenced premises. Nobody seems to worry about them too much.

Edited By stevetee on 08/06/2017 20:38:12

Thread: Internet scam?
30/05/2017 14:13:38

At my work I receive these calls, sometimes more often than daily either a vindoos problem or to do with my electricity contract. I've now started saying that the business has closed and that they have come through to the security ofice and that the business has folded owing thousands and would they like to leave me their number so the police can get in touch with them , CLick. Sometimes I tell them that ( my name ) is no longer working for the company and they need to speak to Mr Pramshed, and they dutifully write it down, basically wind them up as long as possible . If you let them they will take you for every penny. Action fraud reports losses of £691,000 in 2015 .

Thread: Air in the workshop
30/05/2017 14:03:12

Like it or not 25 years ago I plumbed out my garage using Hep2o piping, which was brown and called Acorn when I did it. Since then I have had zero leaks and can't fault it in any way. The system runs at about 90-110 psi and I use snap on air fittings. I may change over to euro fitting as these have a larger aperture for the same size of fitting.

Thread: Stanley Knife Blades
19/05/2017 19:20:27

Leaf spring off an old car , next to nothing at a scrap yard.

Edited By stevetee on 19/05/2017 19:20:45

Thread: Derby Industrial Museum
17/05/2017 09:49:46

One could spend a long time looking round N Wales for the MoIF, it is about 8 miles north of Cardigan. The issue with the signage may well be a result of local planners , rather than any attempt by Paul and Hazel to hide........Private Eye has had quite a lot to say about planning policy in the area.

Thread: Cyanoacrylate and Quicklime
13/05/2017 23:30:35

It's been available in the motor trade for some years , but I expect the price will have come down somewhat now. I believe the filler powder may well contain a catalyst for the superglue. As other have said it forms a very hard and quick repair on may substrates.

Thread: Can you identify this engine?
18/04/2017 10:41:54

My advice would be to take the mag off and leave it somwhere warm for a week to dry the insulation out. Old magneto insulation absorbs water from the surroundings and then can go short after a little running . When you have a decent spark . Then try the engine with a whiff of easy start. If you have a spark it will at least go pop.

Edited By stevetee on 18/04/2017 10:42:35

Thread: Rusty lathe for sale
15/04/2017 11:39:02

Guys , it's just been left out in the rain for a while. Water the universal solvent.

Thread: Spline gauge.
02/04/2017 23:30:07

I did a bit of development work for a company that made replacement rear axle shafts for quad bikes, just like you want to do . The splines we had on the shafts were a 90 degree angle and were rolled onto the shaft originally. we were able to cut the splines by using a dividing head and a simple end mill along with a bit of relatively simple maths.

Thread: Lathe line boring
12/03/2017 13:55:45

I'm sure I am pointing out something that will be obvious to you, but you should plan to machine the base first of all to a finished dimension working from the nominal centreline of the bore. Then you have a nice flat face to clamp the workpiece down for other machining. That face  will then be the datum face for all the other dimensions. Normally there is plenty of meat on castings so it should not be too much of a problem. .

Edited By stevetee on 12/03/2017 13:57:39

Edited By stevetee on 12/03/2017 13:58:39

Thread: Help with a thread mistake
23/02/2017 12:25:39

Well the easiest way would be to buy a helicoil kit and re -do the thread the correct size. JB weld won't be up to the job ( or jb perhaps) . A lot of motorcycle heads get helicoiled  when the threads gall or strip. A helicoil is a 'stronger job' anyway. However as we are on the Model engineers Forum I have no doubt that suggestions will abound around making a threaded Titanium bush, or some other more complicated suggestion followed by 11 pages of posts about the appropriate tapping size, or the correct grade of material for the job. Helicoil kits are available cheaply online. Inserts can be shortened if you are careful or different lengths are available. Once the plug is in no one but you will know it is there.....

Edited By stevetee on 23/02/2017 12:26:21

Thread: Tuning
07/02/2017 18:27:42

In responce to packmule, some amatuer tuning is still possible . There was a young bloke near here who had a moped with a watercooled Minarelli 50cc engine . I was boring him with tales of how we used to tune old Bantams and Villiers engines by taking a couple of mm off the top of the exhaust port, cleaning up any burrs etc in the inlet and so on. We also looked and found a washer welded in the top of the exhaust pipe with about a 10mm hole in it when it was in place.

So first the washer came out and the next time I saw this young bloke he got me to follow his moped in my car to check the speed. I clocked him at 68mph in my car for about half a mile . Question , how long did the engine run before the piston melted?

6 years on he is a very well qualified motor engineer working as a responsible MOT tester, having learned a lot of lessons the hardest and probably best way.

03/02/2017 11:11:04

Sadly this mind set of 'best in the world' is still alive and kicking in the UK. Only last night I was watching the BBC news. Welsh farmers produce the 'best lamb in the world' now that are worried that if we do a trade deal with NZ then Kiwi lamb will come in and undercut them . There are currently quotas that limit the amount of meat the Kiwis can sell here. When we are out of the EU these won't apply of course. It's the same model that sounded the death knell for our industries and it really sad, but if we can't compete on a level playing field then in the long term it's not going to end well is it?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest