By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steamer1915

Here is a list of all the postings Steamer1915 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Making High Speed Steel Injector D Bits
17/06/2019 19:03:40
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 17/06/2019 09:30:28:

It's interesting to note that the tables on my grinders are not constrained, just resting on the ways. So in that sense they're not particularly rigid. Grinding forces are low and accuracy comes from the geometry and linearity of the ways and the runout of the spindle bearings.

Andrew.

If you are grinding between centres, the centres should not rotate. This removes any inaccuracy created by the spindle bearings.

Steve.

Thread: How to price up and sell a super 7 lathe
12/06/2019 09:32:32

Quite so - I was merely clarifying for other non-modeller/machinists...

12/06/2019 08:36:57

Hello David,

That looks like a nice lathe there. The only thing to point out is that it doesn't have a power cross feed as you have implied.

It won't make that much difference to the price but it is worth knowing when preparing the advert.

Best regards,

Steve.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Tailstock Micrometer Dial
02/06/2019 10:58:20

I attended the Doncaster exhibition and there was a lot of interest in Gray's Tailstock dial that I have fitted to my own S7 Tailstock. I was able to demonstrate the gearing of the dial using the Metric version that was set up on Gray's test rig.

I was intrigued to see the "similar" offerings on the Myford stand, which leads me ask the question "Has anybody bought one of these items, fitted it and made any sense of the graduations?"

Unlike Gray's design, these dials (fitted to a shiny new handwheel) have no internal gearing and are sold as a direct replacement for the existing handwheel. The links to the eBay listings are here for the METRIC version and here for the IMPERIAL version.

One turn of the S7 Tailstock handwheel moves the barrel along by 0.300" or 7.62mm. This applies to both Imperial and Metric S7s

Taking the Imperial version first, I'm struggling to understand how 0-60 graduations relate to the 0.300" lead, much less relate to the graduations that are engraved on the barrel.

The same applies to the Metric version, which is graduated 0-3mm and again bears no relation to the engraving of the barrel on a "Metric" lathe.

Rather strangely, the Metric dial would give a better degree of service as an Imperial dial, given the 0-3 (mm) divisions. Indeed, the chap on the Myford stand tried to tell me that "They have just been swapped over mate" until I pointed out that the Imperial dial would not be marked 0, 0.5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm etc. His reply was "Don't know then mate"

Am I missing something obvious here? I don't think so but I'm happy to be corrected.

Best regards,

Steve.

Edited By Steamer1915 on 02/06/2019 11:05:42

Edited By Steamer1915 on 02/06/2019 11:06:45

05/05/2019 08:34:01

Hello Colin,

I would say Christmas... ...unless your birthday is in January, February, March or April...wink

My best regards,

Steve.

04/05/2019 21:33:12

For those of you that will be attending the Doncaster exhibition next weekend, I will have on show one of Gray's prototypes that is fitted to my S7 tailstock. This will be on the Hull and District SMEE stand and I also hope to have the dismantled Metric version (again, Gray's prototype) available so that people can see the working of the gear sets.

I should be around most of the three days to answer any questions.

It is hoped that these will be available to buy later in the year.

Best regards,

Steve.

Thread: Graham Meeks Tailstock Dial - MEW279
28/03/2019 18:45:28

Posted by Graham Meek on 28/03/2019 10:28:39:

In the case of the 48 tooth gear the numbers have had an Eric Morecombe moment. "all the right notes not necessarily in the right order". The same with the numbers, they are all there, but not in the right order.

Where is "Mr Preview" when you need him..... smiley ...I'll get me coat.

Steve.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Tailstock Micrometer Dial
24/09/2018 09:50:09

Perhaps...wink

Thread: A Rant to our suppliers of drills
20/08/2018 18:04:28

Can I suggest that Stewart meant to say Negative Clearance instead of negative rake?

Steve.

Thread: Condensation Management
21/04/2018 11:00:14

Neil,

This unzips to a C file. What's the best thing to open it with?

Best regards,

Steve.

Edited By Steamer1915 on 21/04/2018 11:00:36

Thread: Coventry dies
28/02/2018 22:35:19

Try John Dunn Engineering. Advertises in ME magazine.

I believe he has the jigs.

Best regards,

Steve.

Thread: Spot the fake
15/01/2018 18:55:04

MMMMMmmmmmmmmm, Cake...

Thread: Unusal Stuart Turner No. ? engine
26/11/2017 19:02:45

Hello Ian,

I think it's a number 5 (Not 5A). I have one that was built in the 1920's and entered into an exhibition in Liverpool. It is indeed 2"x2" and similar to the number 1 except for the double standard. When I have a spare minute, I'll post some pics along with a page from a 1924 Stuart catalogue that lists the casting set.

Best regards,

Steve.

Thread: Qualters & Smith QSH-6 hacksaw restoration
20/05/2017 08:59:34

Could the grease nipples be 1/8" BSP? That has a OD of 0.383"

Steve.

Thread: Gearotic Query
09/02/2017 19:08:57

John,

Could you have cut that as two separate helicals?

Steve.

09/02/2017 18:45:49

Thank you John,

An interesting point about relieving the centre of the gear for the hydraulic forces. Just make it wide enough to clear the cutter radius and the problem is solved. Never crossed my mind.

Steve.

09/02/2017 11:55:19

Thanks for that Andrew,

I had a senior moment when I said about the Herringbone gears running with the shaft running at 90 degrees. I was of course thinking about helical gears.

My question relates to Gearotic.

Anybody?

Steve.

09/02/2017 10:26:31

I have just had a play with Gearotic and was looking at an example of a Herringbone gear. I understand that for the gears to be in line with each other (as opposed to being at ninety degrees) there will be need to be one right-hand and one-left hand gear.

The query I have is that it would appear that there is no rounding of the apex of the tooth to correspond with the radius left by the cutter at the "internal angle" for want of a better description.

The simulation doesn't appear to show any rounding of the tooth apex. Is this something that is taken care of when processing the G code?

Best regards,

Steve.

herringbone on gearotic.jpg

Thread: Getting to grips with Fusion 360.
31/01/2017 22:02:34

Ray,

Could you give us a brief rundown of the specs of your new computer please? I will have to take the plunge as my current laptop won't run Fusion properly. Graphics card issue that can't be updated.

Steve.

Thread: Myford top slide
23/01/2017 00:05:53

Nice work there Jeff. Are you still requiring use of the surface grinder?

Best regards,

Steve.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest