By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Siddley

Here is a list of all the postings Siddley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taper attachment capabilities ?
13/12/2012 21:12:18

That's really interesting Brian, thanks for taking the time to reply ( must have taken you ages to write all that ! )

One thing I have got is plenty of silver steel ( my father in law worked for Cromwell Tools and passed his staff discount onto me, so I used to buy loads of the stuff and keep it for a rainy day ) That will make a nice guide rod for a taper attachment. I think I've got some 20mm and I know I have a 20mm reamer.

I also scavenge broken printers ( last one cost me a euro ) for the guide rods that they use. The rods are quite accurate in dimension and sometimes come with a couple of nicely fitting sintered bronze bearings that the print head carriage slides on. They aren't thick enough for this job, but they are handy things to have around - they machine nicely too.

13/12/2012 16:53:30
Posted by Keith Long on 13/12/2012 14:03:10:

Hi Siddley

"Maybe Santa will bring me a brand new Hardinge HLV ? I've been good this year..."

No your in Spain - have to be the Three Kings!

Keith

If there are 3 of them they can help me install it then - Baltazar looks pretty muscular

13/12/2012 13:11:51

Great stuff Nobby, there are enough ideas there for a couple of years work

A simple cross slide used as a feed device for the cutting tool while the taper is put on by the taper set on the device is needed

My thoughts exactly John. I was wondering about the simple cross slide also incorporating a retracting tool holder.
I have got to do something about the lead screw situation as well.

Maybe Santa will bring me a brand new Hardinge HLV ? I've been good this year...

12/12/2012 23:45:01

Hi Nobby, thanks for replying. I mentioned 45 degrees but that was really off the top off my head - 30 degrees would get me by - although it's not ideal.

I never realised how much I used a topslide until I didn't have one. I'm not even sure I'm barking up the correct tree here. It's not that I'm scared of making a topslide, I actually enjoy improving machine tools and making accessories - it's just that the centre height on the Emco is such that I don't have much space to play with in order to make one that isn't compromised in some way. Plus I have a requirement to cut morse tapers 1 through 3.

12/12/2012 22:49:23

Ta Keith - I've fired off a PM to Nobby. Having viewed his album I now have to make one of those clever multi position carriage stops as well

Thread: Free Machining Stainless Steel
12/12/2012 20:34:05

Nice work...if you know where there is any free machining titanium I'd love to buy some - all mine is of the opposite variety

Thread: Taper attachment capabilities ?
12/12/2012 19:54:17

Thanks Keith, that's pretty helpful. I don't want to be a pain but could you link to the thread for me ? I can't seem to find it.

12/12/2012 18:33:29

I'm thinking about making a taper turning attachment for my Compact 5 - how acute an angle can you achieve with these things ?
The reason I ask is that I don't have a topslide and I'm wondering if it could do a similar job. 45 degrees would be enough, but I keep imagining the angles in my head and wondering if it wouldn't simply lock up.

I know I'll have to build a topslide anyway, to put the cut on, but it could be a whole lot simpler if it didn't have to swivel as well.

Thread: BV25 Lathe?
12/12/2012 12:37:05

I don't have a topslide either, although that's mainly because I haven't got one my tiny little Emco Compact 5 came without a topslide ( and half the tailstock missing and only one set of jaws for the chuck - good job it was cheap )

Tell you what, they might not be something that gets too much use, but it's a pain in the fundament when you need one and haven't got it.

10/12/2012 19:11:32

A mate of mine bought a BV25 from Axminster quite a few years ago, they definitely did sell them.

For what it's worth he's had no trouble with it beyond the gearbox being a bit leaky.

Thread: shot blasting
10/12/2012 13:39:23

The DEB product is Janitol Altrans - 30% phosphoric acid with a tiny bit of detergent
One thing I should mention is that you need to keep the steel completely submerged - use it as a bath.

As acids go phosphoric is pretty benign and I don't think there are any safety issues beyond the usual common sense.

09/12/2012 23:57:46

A 20% solution of phosphoric acid will clean and lightly etch steel parts very nicely without the hassle of blasting. If it proves difficult to buy the acid then DEB sell a tile cleaner which is basically diluted phosphoric acid and does the same job ( can't remember the name of it though, sorry )

Thread: Disability
08/12/2012 14:30:20
Posted by David Littlewood on 07/12/2012 23:27:54: Siddley, I did a Google search and saw some similar - possibly identical - ones for about £45. I think, given the effort involved in making one, especially the adjustable legs and the padding, it would scarcely be worth the time spent - but your call, of course.

David

I'm in Spain though David - it's difficult to buy anything secondhand here because they haven't really taken to the internet as quickly as other countries. As an example when we were looking to buy a car we found that there were only 3 pages of cars for sale on Ebay.es - three whole pages !

Quite often the line of least resistance is to buy from the UK, but something as bulky as a stool - it's only really practical when I have put together a number of items to be sent overland by an expat friend who runs a courier business.

A lot of the tourist bars on the coast are shutting down so we'll probably have a drive over there and get a barstool I can modify. Probably a steel one thinking about it, I've got welding tackle and prefer metalworking to woodworking.

07/12/2012 23:16:50

Carpal Tunnel is no joke Neil, a really good mate of mine had it until recently and even though he's about the toughest guy I know it was driving him crazy. Fortunately the op fixed it.

David - thanks a lot for the pictures, I get the concept now. I think I can make something like that.

Farmer Dave - hello from another farmer ( we farm olives in Spain not a quick way to fame and fortune... ) I've got just such an office chair and it's really comfortable. With a modification to extend the height I'm sure it would be great, but my workshop is tiny and I wouldn't be able to use it in there. Good luck with your efforts to 'adapt and overcome'

Bazyle - Remap seems like a great organisation to be involved with, I wish I could help them but it wouldn't be practical with me being in Spain now

07/12/2012 18:39:26

Thanks Bob, now I have seen a picture I realise we actually had one of those ( my wife used it to see if it helped with her back problems )

I found it comfortable to use but really difficult to get in and out of due to my knees being a bit secondhand.

07/12/2012 16:06:42

Thanks for the kind words chaps. I've been a lot better since I emigrated to a dry warm climate ( although it's not so warm today ! )

It's very handy to know that a bar stool has it's limitations, I'd love to see a picture of a both a 'perch' and a 'straddling' stool - my woodworking skills don't extend much beyond gun stocks but I could probably make one, or maybe convert a bar stool.

06/12/2012 23:06:53

I had a pretty apocalyptic bike crash 15 years ago and wasn't expected to walk again afterwards. I did walk again, but that and a fairly 'exciting' lifestyle have left me with all kinds of joint problems and aches and pains.

I have a few issues in the workshop, most of which could probably be solved by getting a bar stool so I can sit down when using the lathe and mill. The remainder would be solved if I just worked until I was a little tired, rather than carrying on until I suddenly realise I'm exhausted...

How do other people with physical problems cope ? what clever ideas do you have to keep you at your machines ?

Thread: Cannon patterns, and Barrell castings
06/12/2012 21:17:47

I'm a little bit tempted by that Neil, but it would probably be more cost effective to get the original magazines. I don't really have any interest in steam engines, traction engines, locomotives or clocks so I don't think I'd get too much else out of the subscription.

I'll check the index though, if there are enough articles on miniature machine tools and models of full size IC engines ( which I am very interested in ) it could be a goer.

Thanks

06/12/2012 20:34:47
Posted by Stub Mandrel on 06/12/2012 19:58:19:

Some time ago ME published advice to make an insert of hardened but not tempered silver steel, with an off-centre cone one each end and a force fit in the barrel. Harder to push out than a ball bearing.

Neil

Yeah, that's a standard practice, and a very good one too. If someone was thinking of making a full size model firearm then that would definitely be the way to go ( although there is a legal can of worms involved with that called the VCR bill - I won't go into it as it wouldn't apply to cannon and I actually don't know too much about the letter of that particular law as all the people I dealt with were exempt under one category or another )

I think ME has published an article about building a Colt Peacemaker and at least one 20th century artillery piece. I'd love copies of those issues. What I would really like the most are the blueprints for the M1 155mm 'Long Tom' gun which my late Dad served on during his time in the Royal Artillery, but that's probably a longer shot than even the Long Tom could manage

06/12/2012 14:15:47

It's not how it looks to a layman Clive, it's how it looks to the Forensic Science Service - I've gotten a pretty good handle on how they think over the years as I'd sometimes build inert or blank firing weapons for the military re-enactment guys ( my No1 priority being not to go to jail, making money was the secondary priority )

As an example I have seen ( approved ) ACW percussion muskets with a 90% completed bore and no hardened insert to prevent the last 10% being finished. The FSS view was obviously that the tools and skills needed to do so were beyond the hypothetical ' average man in an average garden shed '
I wouldn't have built the muskets that way myself, but I'm pretty cautious.

Nothing wrong with your scheme at all, technically it's better than mine - but it's not strictly neccessary. What you propose is like a halfway house between my method and the full on deactivation procedure required for live firearms.

I wouldn't make peering into the muzzle of cannons a habit by the way, but if you built it and you know that it's inert then I think that's fair enough. Excellent poem though

The full name of the author is Ian V Hogg - expert on all kinds of firearms - and I had his book on artillery. Sadly I had to sell 90% of my books before I emigrated and that was one of them.

Edited By Siddley on 06/12/2012 14:17:38

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
walker midge
cowells
Dreweatts
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest