By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Siddley

Here is a list of all the postings Siddley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 3D CAD for Linux
16/12/2012 23:31:04

That's interesting. I remember text file rendering from when I got a copy of POV back in...well I can't remember exactly, but I had a 386DX and it was regarded as being a reasonably cutting edge machine at the time. You fill in the date
I didn't have the skill to use POV even to a fraction of it's capability though.

I did quite lot of work with 3DMax a couple of years ago, just for fun, helping some guys who produce a 'mod' for a PC racing simulation that is focussed on racing cars from the classic era.
It's not something I find easy though, building the model is OK, but the texturing and wrapping is greek to me. Optimising the models was a challenge as well - because they are going to be used in a video game you have to trade off polygons for realism to keep the frame rate up.
I just dabbled in it really, but I learned enough to give me a very healthy respect for people who earn their living with that kind of stuff.

Thread: Chinese Lathe Accessories.
16/12/2012 22:14:40

A mate of mine once cut the roof off a plastic pig and installed a 1600 X-Flow engine in it. Then we spray painted the thing in various psychedelic colours to humiliate it further. Awesome vehicle - it would actually wheelie.

There used to be a bloke knocking around my local area who had a pig painted in NATO green and black cammo. What a hero

16/12/2012 21:00:21

Posted by Ketan Swali on 16/12/2012 16:43:28:

I personally do not feel that there was any bullying tactic with racial discrimination at all. There was stereo typical content which was very understandable, and most of us, including me are guilty of this, if guilty is the correct word.

I have to say that the only reason I didn't spit my dentures into my cup of tea when I read the 'Indians should stick to making curry' comment was that I haven't got dentures and I don't drink tea

Thread: 3D CAD for Linux
16/12/2012 20:32:21

Problem solved ( I think ) I got FreeCAD and it's pretty OK after a quick test drive. I did download gCAD3D but found the interface impossible to understand. I'm used to Solidworks and it's very different to the way gCAD3D operates.
I can't get along with Autocad either, it's probably something to do with how my brain works rather than any failing in the program ( what with it being an industry standard )

What I should do is add a Windows partition and reinstall Solidworks ( it won't run properly on an emulator apparently )  but Windows just elevates my blood pressure to levels that aren't healthy, I'm glad to see the back of it.

Edited By Siddley on 16/12/2012 20:33:28

16/12/2012 15:21:04

I recently switched from Windows to Ubuntu Linux ( highly recommended ) and it's brilliant. I'm struggling to find a decent 3D CAD program though - preferably free or cheap.
Any ideas ?

Thread: Can't drill through lathe stand base plate
16/12/2012 15:15:09

I'd try a pilot hole too. Are you working from an awkward position that prevents you getting any real force behind the drill ? if so, can you rearrange things to get a better angle ?

Nice bike BTW

16/12/2012 14:59:11

I thought that all virgins had to be metric nowadays to conform with EU directives ?

Thread: Chain driven cams ?
16/12/2012 13:53:31

Jens - I understand, it's like the 'hunting tooth principle' with gear drives

JS - I'd never considered the NSU ( forgotten about it to be honest ) but it ticks all the boxes - successful sport and race bike, technically interesting, the right era etc. The only thing is that it's unit construction and I don't want to make a gearbox. But maybe in an alternate universe NSU made a non unit version, or maybe Bentley got into manufacturing motorbikes...
This could be a real proposition, I'll do some research. Cheers

16/12/2012 13:17:35

All over Spain there are 'Chinese markets'  - shops which sell mostly low cost Chinese goods. There are at least four in my nearest town and I live in the back of beyond.

Virtually nothing they sell works properly, sometimes it doesn't work at all. Glue that won't stick, files that won't cut metal, pens that don't write, spanners made of cheese etc etc
I'm a tool snob, I admit it. If it isn't Snap On, Facom etc I don't want to know. But every so often I weaken and buy something DIY related from a Chinese market. Like a hammer - I mean even the Chinese can't screw up making a hammer - can they ? Yes, they can, they can make anything badly.

Back in the UK we had a local hardware store that sold Chinese goods. I once asked my wife to get me a new radio for the workshop and said " Do NOT buy it from GeeJays " because she can't resist a bargain, even if it isn't really a bargain. Back she came with this thing that looked like it was meant to receive Henry Halls Dance Orchestra and rousing speeches by Winston Churchill. When I switched it on all it did was hiss. It actually received nothing at all. So I said to her " You bought this from GeeJays, didn't you ? " to which she replied " But it was only a pound ! "
How can you argue with logic like that ?

Norinco do make a nice clone of the AK-74 assault rifle though, I'll give 'em that...

Edited By Siddley on 16/12/2012 13:19:55

16/12/2012 12:46:38

But are you any good at preparing a curry Ketan ?

16/12/2012 12:40:30

I've got some small toothed belts somewhere Terry - the only thing is that they aren't historically accurate for the time period. Overhead cams in those days were usually driven by gear trains or bevel shafts. Even the chain is a little bit unusual.
Great website, thanks for the link.

16/12/2012 00:56:11
Posted by alan smith 6

Ps The speed limit is 70.

Alan

The speed limit is as fast as you can go. On my Wideline Featherbed Triton with the pre-unit T120R engine and close ratio box it was about 126mph at 7,200 rpm in top.

Now grow up

15/12/2012 22:20:33

Neil - missed your last post. I'm going to design for a chain this time, but I WILL take you up on your offer regarding gears. It's appreciated.

15/12/2012 22:17:47

This is getting to be like that famous TV series about Outlaw ME's - what's it called, the Sons Of Metrology ?

( the above comment may not make sense, if it doesn't, don't worry about it )

It's helped me decide who is getting the cash I have set aside for tooling in the new year though, I'll keep that to myself though...

15/12/2012 19:05:51

Brian W - the design I'm looking at does use a chain tensioner but it doesn't make much difference to the length of the run due to its shape. Oh no, I'm not making sprockets

Johan - that's helpful, I might try and find one of these copy machines

Neil - the 19\39 brings up an interesting point about chain cam drives and a theoretical weakness of the system, can you figure it out ?

Brian in Oz - I wouldn't try to build a complete bike ( although maybe I could teach one of the cats to ride it ) I've owned quite a few British bikes myself. In fact when my mates were riding Yamaha RD250's I had a Triumph... I just love any bike that's interesting or has character though, it doesn't have to be British. Those Victors were a handful according to what I have read. BSA used the same basic engine for a works racer I believe.
Nowadays my main bike is a Suzuki DR350 offroader - it's competent but a bit boring...

15/12/2012 14:56:41

Thanks ! my search turned up little other than parts for mini-moto's

Just off the top of my head the 0.1475in chain would make the complete engine about 6 inches tall ( given the design ) - that could be doable but it's a little bit bigger than I hoped for. At least I've got a dimension to work from now, to see if it's feasible.

15/12/2012 14:25:52

I'd like to 'break my duck' with regard to model engineering and finally build a model. I've only been threatening to do that for 15 years now

I'm thinking about designing a single cylinder 4 stroke engine that captures the flavour of a 1930-1950 sports or racing motorcycle engine without actually depicting any specific make or model.
Gears worry me though - I'm not set up for cutting gears, have never cut a gear in my life and quite frankly all those DP's and addendums might as well be written in Greek. I understand them not.

So how about chain drive to an overhead cam ? AJS used it after all, so it's authentic. Will I be able to get suitable chain that small though ?

Ideas anyone ?

15/12/2012 12:25:52

This thread makes me think there is an opportunity for someone in the UK to make certain Myford accessories and spares properly.

Obviously a lot of items wouldn't be economical to produce but there's got to be a few quid in it if you pick the right bits.

Thread: Free Machining Stainless Steel
14/12/2012 16:14:44

I've got quite a lot of 6AL4V - turns OK but it's nasty stuff to drill and tap. Got any tips on that score John ?

Thread: Fibre optic clock
13/12/2012 21:15:24

I like that a LOT - my first thought was that it resembles a mechanical crypto machine in some respects ( as Michael Williams mentions above )

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
walker midge
cowells
Dreweatts
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest