By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Siddley

Here is a list of all the postings Siddley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pensioners restore rare WWII bomber
02/01/2013 17:21:45

I watched a film on the first rebuild in the early 90's - I think they'd got two of the Merlins functional at that time. I seem to remember they were using parts for the engines which weren't certified for flight as the intention at that time was only for the Lanc to taxi.

Good luck to them...

Thread: DROs for an X2
01/01/2013 18:13:42

Nice neat installation by the way Bob. I'm going to put in an order with ARC myself soon, they seem to attract good feedback, so I'll give 'em a go.

Thread: Precision Ground Flat Stock
01/01/2013 18:01:27

I use it all the time and it's not awkward stuff to machine in the grand scheme of things.

It's a tough steel but 'well mannered' , doesn't seem to work harden and I don't really take any special measures apart from allowing for it's hardness.

I don't think you'll have any problems.

Thread: DROs for an X2
01/01/2013 17:48:43

There isn't a seperate quill feed on these machines Sid, just a coarse and a fine operating on the Z axis rack.

In practice it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Thread: 3 jaw chucks
31/12/2012 01:48:42

I think it depends on how 'mullered' the chuck is to begin with.The Pratt-Burnerd which came with my Hofmann dividing head had jaws which looked like someone had been beating them with a hammer.
I used all the methods outlined above to try and correct the problem ( including toolpost grinder ), but nothing worked.

Thread: Alibre 11.2
29/12/2012 22:33:11
Posted by Ziggar on 29/12/2012 18:58:15:

on a lot of forums, asking for a code to bypass paying for a leading piece of software would lead to an instant banning of the member that asked. No matter what the 'excuse' or reasoning. It seems to be OK

Edited By Ziggar on 29/12/2012 18:58:43

Did I miss that part of the discussion ? All I'm reading about here is someone trying to bring some very interesting engine designs to a wider audience.

29/12/2012 17:54:26

45cc V-6 ? someone needs to build that and put it into a motorcycle...

29/12/2012 16:12:37

I might be stating the bleeding obvious here, but is the file format proprietary to Alibre ?
There are free viewers for most CAD files

Thread: Harry Websters book sale
28/12/2012 11:02:29

I recently bought two books from Mr Harry Webster via his advert on this website.

He responded promptly, was a very nice guy to deal with ( especially as I am in Spain and the transaction wasn't as simple as it might have been otherwise ) and the books were just as described in his listing.

It was very nice to receive them today with a handwritten note thanking me for my purchase.

Mr Webster is obviously a gentleman of the old school.

Thread: Combined Mill/Lathe
28/12/2012 10:42:47

They are awful machines, please don't buy one.
I actually got better work from my combined lathe\mill - never, ever again - by building a vertical slide for it ( using parts from an old shaper which had been broken down ) and going 'old school' as if the milling head didn't exist at all.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a Clarke CL500

Thread: Problem with Adobe 11
27/12/2012 16:47:00

I hate Acrobat. It's bloated invasive software that doesn't even work very well. The last time it updated itself on my wifes laptop it reset all the file associations without asking. I find that...impolite ( euphemism )

I used to use STDVU - aka Scientific and technical document viewer - when I had Windows on my PC, it's a lean mean pdf viewing machine
Now I use the viewer built into Linux.

Edited By Siddley on 27/12/2012 16:49:19

Thread: Handwheel Driven Leadscrew
27/12/2012 16:17:28

The Peatol\Taig has it's handwheel in an eccentric bush so you can set the engagement between the pinion and the rack. Works rather well once you get it set up properly.
Whether it would work scaled up to a 'real' lathe is another matter though...I'd guess not but I'm often wrong

Thread: Super glue
26/12/2012 14:26:59

I don't know what I would do without the stuff, I have used it for years. Just the cheapo pound shop glue, nothing special.

I have found that all caveats mentioned above regarding the bond breaking down need to be taken into account.

A flat scraper is what I use to get rid of the glue residue afterwards.

Thread: Safe working pressure for aluminium tube.
23/12/2012 23:00:58

The Spanish aren't big on health and safety - put it this way, the guy who makes the fireworks for the local fiestas here ( one about every two weeks ) keeps his home made black powder in filing cabinets in his basement

Traditional shotguns are Greek to me - I only ever worked on the 'combat' stuff, all black and scary. A lot of the really skilled guys seem to have trad shotguns as a background, I can see why.
With deac rules being what they are here I'm planning to get a deactivated side by side and convert it into an air cartridge double rifle. A bit silly, won't have any practical use, but it should be a fun project.

I used to come across the Luxfer bottles as military surplus - they were used as part of the cooling system in the MIRA thermal imager that was fitted to the MILAN anti tank missile. Very cheap but the liability involved in converting them for use with a Rapid or S10 wasn't worth it to me ( and that would have been a new end cap, not that crazy BSP modification )

23/12/2012 22:12:12

Jon - here's something to frighten you - prices of legitimate bottles being what they are in Spain guys here convert CO2 fire extinguishers to take HPA for air rifle use. I'm not sure how they get them filled, but someone must be prepared to do it because otherwise they wouldn't make them.

Talk about a hand grenade with the pin out...

Nice work on the end plugs. Although I operated mainly with firearms I got started on air rifles and still have a lot of affection for them, both as pieces of engineering and as accurate things to shoot. I'm working with air cartridge stuff at the moment actually - it's legal here and I always liked the system.

22/12/2012 22:10:45
Posted by fizzy on 22/12/2012 21:11:36:

looks more impressive than my BSA Metior !!

I'm not going to embarass Shaun, but he's making air rifles that are of a quality which you would only otherwise see in the finest custom firearms. There really isn't anything that compares to them.

Thread: Introduction
22/12/2012 20:49:09

Apologies for unintentional duck pun Lee - never again, I promise

Tapping and drilling fluid isn't really what you would want to use for turning - it's too expensive for one thing and doesn't like the heat generated on heavier cuts. Smells awful when it gets hot.

Your water soluble cutting fluid will need a good cleanup routine after use because it tends to stain the lathe bed. I have used three approaches of getting the fluid to the workpiece - applying with a brush, gravity drip feed and a pond pump inside a 5 litre tank. The gravity feed, plan B, was a pain but plans A and C were fine. You do tend to get through a few brushes though - no matter how careful you are they get a 'haircut' from time to time.

Carbide tooling doesn't like interrupted coolant apparently and can crack due to thermal shock. I have only just started using it though, all my experience is with HSS or Stellite.

22/12/2012 18:38:41

Sounds like you have your head screwed on Lee, I think you'll take to machining like a duck to water.

I'd recommend making your own HSS tools and to fabricate a simple adjustable grinding rest to help you shape them. It's economical, you'll learn a lot about cutting angles and have the ability to make 'specials' exactly right for a particular job.

Thread: Safe working pressure for aluminium tube.
22/12/2012 18:27:41

Small world - I'll drop you a line over the next couple of days.

I eventually ran out of space for the mill ( I was using it for the same jobs as you - inletting, it worked great for that and kept the sawdust and fibreglass away from the other mill ) and gave it to this kid who was just starting out in gunsmithing. Bet he's a multi-millionaire now, what with gunsmithing being such a well paid profession

22/12/2012 16:45:19

You aren't the Shaun who makes the Spartan are you ? because if you are I bought a home made milling machine machine from you once - I'm Craig P's Section One RFD buddy from Derbys ( but now Spain )

Best looking air rifle on the planet, the Spartan.

( tried to PM you the above, but the PM function didn't want to work )

Edited By Siddley on 22/12/2012 16:47:02

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
Warco
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest