By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for robert mort

Here is a list of all the postings robert mort has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: cutting the bar of a digital calliper
24/03/2019 14:44:38

Wow that's almost as much as I'd pay for a lathe!

Thread: Jubilee boiler stays
27/11/2015 13:16:50
Posted by fizzy on 10/09/2014 20:46:05:
... but way back I used copper nails on a 31/2 boiler, the head soft soldered on the inside. Made a very neat job and was easier to get the solder to melt due to the head size - surely frowned upon today but you never know!

Incidentally, I've found 3.5mm, 30mm (or longer) copper nails to be excellent and cheap for stays, particularly crown stays: see **LINK**

15/11/2014 11:00:15
Posted by John Baguley on 10/09/2014 13:54:22:

I theaded copper rivets for the stays which wasn't difficult to do, much to my surprise. The heads are actually silver soldered outside as that was easy to do but the firebox ends have brass nuts fitted and then caulked with Comsol.

Your web site is very informative, thanks.

But one question: on Helen's boiler why did you not thread just the ends of the rivets? The end beneath the head does not need to be threaded as it is held strongly enough in place by the head and by the solder/braze.

Rob

Edited By robert mort on 15/11/2014 11:01:20

Thread: Girder crown stays - are they overstressed?
15/11/2014 10:34:40
Posted by tractionengine42 on 21/01/2012 20:06:17:
Even without the girder stays the design is quite robust IMHO, that's not to suggest they should be omitted.

Fascinating old thread, which should be reference on this subject which is hardly treated elsewhere.

Although the working pressure analysed above is 90psi showing the inner firebox without girder stays should survive, the usual test at 1.5 times this pressure would surely lead to collapse. So the stays provide the necessary safety margin.

Thread: Which lathe
17/07/2014 22:47:23

The Raglan Little John II or "5 inch" are far better and bigger lathes than a Myford and available for £300 or so usually with stand and accessories. They also have a wonderful variable drive that you can adjust at any time, avoiding gear changing.

Thread: Bubble Foil Insulation for workshop, anybody used this?
17/07/2014 22:31:21

Reflective insulation has excellent performance, even in the UK.

There is no point in any insulation if there is no difference in temperature, but when there is a difference that is exactly when you need it, and that is when reflective insulation performs best because it incorporates efficient conductive as well as reflective properties.

Thread: Cross slide feed nut slop problem
07/03/2014 10:24:54

The Delrin/Acetal approach is the best. It eliminates backlash and lasts far longer than a bronze replacement.

I've made one for my Raglan lathe. Fitting it needed some thought due to the limited space, but in the end was quite easy. See my photo album

Thread: Winding Small compression springs
07/03/2014 09:31:50

Unfortunately the link above at http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/intro.html no longer works.

I found the site very useful. Anybody know if it has moved to somewhere else?

Thread: 5" Gauge Boilermaking - Heat Required For Silver Soldering
17/02/2014 10:21:31

As Ian said, don't use storage heater or refractory bricks which absorb too much heat.

Just use cheap aerated concrete building blocks which reflect heat, are light and can be sawn to shape.

Thread: boiler design
27/12/2013 20:43:11

The best discussion on these aspects that I've seen is on the Home Machinist forum

Thread: I am looking for any information on the martin evans columbia
14/12/2013 20:12:23

I've just obtained a complete set of the ME articles on Columbia. There are a lot of pages.

I'm open to offers.

Thread: Remote display sources for DRO Chinese calipers
04/12/2013 15:01:23

Is it so difficult for an engineer to make a simple holder for the laser tacho?

If it is, then an even cheaper and simpler solution is to use a cycle computer giving a direct RPM readout and with a wireless connection to the sensor for £2.59 here. Easily mounted even for an engineer!

I'd rather use that than spend hours constructing a tacho from basic components costing 20 times as much, when I could be making something useful, but I'm strange I know.

01/12/2013 20:33:05

A laser tacho costs <£10 here , just fix a reflective sticker to the shaft and away you go.

Thread: Speedy Boiler
15/06/2013 21:54:07

Posted by julian atkins on 23/03/2013 11:29:55:

a completely new design will need the 'theory' provided with calculations etc. the standard ME formulae is in martin evans' book 'model locomotive boilers'

Martin Evans book does not contain any formula on unsupported boiler areas that I can see. It only has one formula that refers to pitch of stays limited by the strength of the stays only, and independent of sheet thickness.

I'd be interested to see a calculation of max unsupported area.

Edited By robert mort on 15/06/2013 21:54:31

Thread: Choice of mechanical lubricator
24/02/2013 22:14:25

Neil, could be an interesting project, but getting hold of the tube and designing the pump would be a challenge for most people.

In practice a displacement lubricator is the simplest and most effective solution.

24/02/2013 18:50:04

Neil,

thanks for the explanation. However the problem I see with this idea is that, like all our lubricators, it has to operate at steam pressure and so soft flexible tubing would not work, unless the whole thing is pressurised which adds to the complication.

23/02/2013 20:17:10

Neil - interesting ideas; I don't know much about these techniques; do you have any practical solutions for these applications?

Thread: Remote display sources for DRO Chinese calipers
02/11/2012 21:19:43

Surely this is what you need - remote displays and cheaper than most solutions mentioned before:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Measurement/Digital-Readouts-with-Dedicated-Remote-Display

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest