By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Childs

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Childs has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sweetpea Rod brasses cutting instructions
12/11/2018 18:52:52

Dear All,

Apparently there is a cutting sheet that should come with the bronze casting which is good as the book instructions don't make sense as they refer to two castings.

Does anyone have a copy of this sheet they could send me please?

I called Blackgates today and the lady explained it to me but I suspect my email was copied down wrong as no email with the instructions so far.

Their new CNC steel wheels are good given they are only £30 more than the rough castings.

Thanks in advance

Thread: Cutting a keyway without a broach
08/11/2018 20:30:36

The way I did this was to make a tight fitting dolly, centre punch the line in the required position and drill through both the edge of the hole and the dolly, remove the dolly and then file the half round hole square to fit the key. This was in a sprocket too although the hole was a bit bigger. Think I did it three times like this.

Thread: Clean hands?
11/06/2018 19:56:52

Gold also dissolves in sodium cyanide solution. This is how most of the worlds fine gold is extracted from ore.

Thread: National coal mining museum
30/03/2018 22:42:46

There was an error in my original post, corrected in capitals

I thought it was Arthur Scargill calling an illegal strike at a time when stock piles of coal at power stations were high and many mines starting to become uneconomical to work due to thin seams and falling reserves and high costs that killed the mining industry. Whilst i know the use of coal has fallen recently there were years after the closure of all the mines when the amount of coal being mined in the UK was higher THAN BEFORE the strike. Sheer economics mean there is no way anyone is going to mine 450mm seams of coal, hand picked by a man on his side in South Wales (although the bloke who I knew who worked this way apparentely enjoyed it) when there are 3m Seams stretching for miles in Queensland that can be mined by machine.

There are still many small OCCS in South Wales, on the north crop. I myself used to work on one 15 years ago (and you didn't mention Mrs Thatcher there!)

30/03/2018 20:45:22

I thought it was Arthur Scargill calling an illegal strike at a time when stock piles of coal at power stations were high and many mines starting to become uneconomical to work due to thin seams and falling reserves and high costs that killed the mining industry. Whilst i know the use of coal has fallen recently there were years after the closure of all the mines when the amount of coal being mined in the UK was higher before the strike. Sheer economics mean there is no way anyone is going to mine 450mm seams of coal, hand picked by a man on his side in South Wales (although the bloke who I knew who worked this way apparentely enjoyed it) when there are 3m Seams stretching for miles in Queensland that can be mined by machine.

There are still many small OCCS in South Wales, on the north crop. I myself used to work on one 15 years ago (and you didn't mention Mrs Thatcher there!).

Thread: Fuelling a Boiler using Electricity
24/03/2018 22:37:11

The Swiss had some electric steam shunting locos. There was a good reason for this: shortage of coal during WW2 and plenty of hydroelectric power and a need to shunt unelectrified sidings. They were converted back after the war.

Thread: Diesel engines for miniature gauge locomotives?
24/03/2018 22:32:20

It is usually a Honda or clone small petrol engine. There are various ways to use this to drive the wheels but from experience the easiest is to use an Eaton Hydrostatic Drive to the via chains usually with a lay shaft and speed reduction. There are small diesel engines out there but they are much more expensive and I suspect too slow unless you are going for diesel mechanical. I have a friend who has a five inch gauge loco that uses a Suffolk Punch engine and friction clutch that works well with a mechanical reverse.

Edited By Ian Childs on 24/03/2018 22:33:27

Thread: Garage Workshop Subsidence
24/02/2018 20:06:13

There are 6 forms of asbestos . They can be grouped into amphibole or serpentine groups depending on the chemistry of the rocks they are formed from. The more dangerous is the amphibole type. The white form, chrysotile, is a serpentine form and was previously not considered as dangerous as brown or blue as the fibers are usually shorter and less sharp. I remember being taken to an white asbestos mine (openpit) as a student and picking bits up to take home! incidentally this mine had Europes largest spoil heap at the time. One rare type called erionite, is responsible for many deaths in a village in Turkey and Amosite is an acronym for asbestos mines of South Africa.

Thread: replacement for Dewhurst switch
05/02/2018 20:41:56

Thanks Jon,

Just received my switch and will definitely need that diagram!

Ian

31/01/2018 22:28:26

Thanks for all the responses, especially JonBerk. I have decided to go for the Chester switch as it is a pretty compact unit that I can put where the Dewhurst switch is now.

Thanks also for all the offers of Dewhurst spares but I feel that a modern alternative is the way to go.

Ian

30/01/2018 23:14:23

Hi all,

The Dewhurst switch on my S7 switch is arcing and getting hot. The motor is the usual single phase motor. Spares seem to be impossible to get but, I would like to replace with a NVR switch and a modern tumbler switch for reverse in anycase. Problem being I have no idea were to start looking. Local industrial switch suppliers did not have much idea. Can any one help? Been a lurker on here for a while but as a fairly recent starter the hobby am so far not in a position to offer advice, only ask for it!

Thanks in anticipation!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Sarik
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest