By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for daveb

Here is a list of all the postings daveb has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Couple of things at Lidl
19/02/2018 20:01:55

It's worth noting that the compressor is small (CFM) and will run some of the tools for short bursts only. It's really annoying when you have to wait for the tank to fill up before you can carry on. If noise is an issue, air tools are probably not for you.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
19/02/2018 16:54:38
Posted by ronan walsh on 19/02/2018 16:42:55:

I got talking to an old boy at the local jumble years ago, it was a hilarious conversation. He like most had reached an age when the aches, pains and other health issues had put him off his classic bikes, so reluctantly he sold them off. After a while and missing motorcycling, he was advised to buy a "modern" royal oilfield single with electric start. All the looks and positives of classic motorcycles, with none of the negatives (ho ho ho).

So he went and bought a brand new out of the dealers showroom Bullet with leccy start. Then the calamity started, The miracle electric start packed up, the clutch fell off the end of the gearbox mainshaft, the wheel bearings went, the steering head bearings went, everything chromed started to rust, the big end went, and when it was replaced, the conrod was found to be bent, and all the aluminium castings took to corrode.

Well I'll be blowed! They made it just like a genuine British bike. I've been looking at these for a while, can't quite decide if I want one.

19/02/2018 13:14:51
Posted by Ian Abbott on 18/02/2018 23:44:51:

My last bike. 1998 Royal Enfield (they'd just acquired the "Royal" bit) 500 Bullet, Indian built.

Apparently bought by someone working in India and taken back to England when he'd finished the job.

My wife and I found it when we were walking along a quiet lane in Devon, while we were in England for an extended visit, visiting relatives before we all kick the bucket.

Anyway, as we passed a garage with the doors open we spotted the bike gently rusting away beside flowing water. Where the rust had taken over completely on the chrome mudguards, someone had just slapped a coat of black enamel, same with the festering alloy castings. But it had only done a few hundred miles.

This thing had all the disadvantages of a 1955 British bike, with a whole load of Indian problems added on.

Not having any facilities, it lived under a cover and I cleaned, scraped and oiled until it looked as though it just had fifty years of UK usage on it. I did manage to stop some leaks, but others were impossible without machine tools.

Casings crumbled and the wheels were just about rusted through. The engine breather pumped oil out onto the chain, which was good, but the quantity was not. Threads in the casings were stripped out and the carb flatly refused to stay connected to the engine.

The gearbox started out with four sort of functioning ratios, but in the short time I owned it, it gained three or four neutrals as well, apparently a common thing.

This was about the time my legs were finally giving way and apart from dropping the bike, I couldn't get my foot up onto the kickstart, so I parked it.

Then one day I received a phone call from someone who knew someone who restored bikes as a sort of business cum hobby. I hadn't paid much for the bike and he offered me about the same, so I "reluctantly" parted company with the bike and helped him load it into his van. I had thought of bringing it back to Canada with us, but reason prevailed.

Shortly after, we headed back home to Canada safe in the knowledge that my time with motorcycles was over.

However. It began to cross my mind that even if I don't ride one, I could still have a project bike ongoing in the workshop that would keep my mind occupied, along with the thirty odd other little projects on the go.

Nothing has shown up yet, but you never know what's out there. Maybe a nice Brough Superior that's been parked in a barn and no one knows it's there.

This is a photograph of the RE at an machinery working meet in Devon. When I arrived and tried to go to the car park, the marshals said the bike looked so old, it should be displayed with the antique motorcycles.

Hmmmm.

royal enfield.jpg

You haven't got there until they put the bike in the concours and you in the antiques.

18/02/2018 13:27:27
Posted by Bob Rodgerson on 15/02/2018 09:58:30:

If the faces of the joint are perfectly flat and unmarked they will seal, my BSA A-10 doesn't leak despite it being over 50 years old.

A British bike that doesn't leak oil? Whatever you do, don't start it up until you've put some oil in it. angel

Thread: Makita 12volt drill
17/02/2018 20:39:23

Not sure if it's the same but I have a spare trigger from a 9v Makita drill. Gratis, if it's any good to you send me a PM..

Thread: Myford ml7 lathe problems
15/02/2018 22:11:52

If it's a Myford gearbox the leadscrew passes through the gearbox, there is a gear behind the inner cover, both outer and inner covers have to be removed to get at it, also remove the R/H leadscrew bracket which should be secured with 2 screws and 2 dowels. Make sure the clasp nuts are open then carefully withdraw the leadscrew to the right.There is an earlier gearbox which looks similar to the later one except the output gears are fitted under a cover on the right side of the gearbox. I've seen a few machines with the leadscrew joined just ahead of the gearbox. The joint is both tight and pinned, it's probably best to treat it as a solid leadscrew. If the joint won't pass through the clasp nuts you will need to slide the saddle off the end of the bed.

Thread: Please help with fitting a Myford Tri Leva
15/02/2018 19:24:51
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 15/02/2018 15:58:02:

I love this forum...

Question: How do I fit this tri-leva attachment I bought?

Answer: Sell your lathe and the attachment and buy a new one.

crying

Neil

This is the place to come to for good advice. smile d

Thread: TDA2030A Audio Amp
12/02/2018 13:31:29

Neil, watch out for exploding electrolytic capacitors. Always a risk of this with old equipment. I had one make a large dent in the ceiling.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
11/02/2018 16:37:58

Thaiguzzi, Hopper, it's a 91 Evo, fairly standard 1200, will add pics to my photos. Bike was running OK when I stopped using it, only 22K miles but I decided to have the frame powder coated. I got a bit busy with other things so it took 17 years to put it back together. Enjoyed reading about your trip Hopper, may be giving me ideas beyond my ability.

08/02/2018 21:41:01

I've just put my old Harley Sportster back on the road.

Recent TV advert for Coke, old fellow doing bucket list things, final scene, riding motorbike. My wife looked at the old fellow and said, 'That could be you'. I said 'No, he looks a lot younger'.

Depressing!!!

Thread: Dovetail cutter on brass
05/02/2018 21:52:31

As Neil said and the cutter needs to be very sharp.

Thread: Recommend T handle metric key set
01/02/2018 12:13:53
Posted by JasonB on 01/02/2018 07:30:23:

I also like the Eklind tee ones, proper metal tee not a plastic moulding on a L shape.

If you are filing down ends are you mixing metric keys and imperial fixing

If you are filing the ends of Allen keys, you have c**p Allen keys. smiley

Thread: What is a “Coventry die head”?
29/01/2018 20:33:03
Posted by websnail on 29/01/2018 20:16:56:
Posted by Mick B1 on 29/01/2018 09:25:03:

Posted by Hopper on 29/01/2018 09:15:59:

This means that once you have cut your thread, instead of having to reverse the lathe and wind your one-piece die and holder back off again, you simply yank that handle on the Coventry head and the four toothed cutting sections snap outwards, clearing the job and allowing the carriage to be wound back toward the tailstock with the lathe still running. Saves heaps of time on production work but not that essential for home use.

On the ones I've seen and used, 'twas t'other way about. You 'cocked' the diehead by rotating the handle till the 4 chasers clicked into closed position, ran the diehead up the workpiece to a stop, when the chasers sprang open so you could whip back the turret to index to the next tool.

Another very good point, was that the machine did not require reversing.

Who remembers using their right hand winding out the turret after a thread and at the same time using their left to get the tool post nearer the work piece, all in the name of speed.smiley

Sort of, I would spin the capstan handle with my right hand to retract the turret, at the same time operate the slide to part off and chamfer the part with my left, in one continuous motion wind back the turret which had indexed to the stop and the pull the lever to feed the bar. You could make a lot of parts very quickly, provided you didn't get your arms tangled up. It was best if you could work without being interrupted.

Thread: Lorch & Schmidt Tailstock
27/01/2018 12:33:49

It doesn't look like a Lorch part. Possibly made here during the war years when German goods were unavailable. There were British made copies of these lathes due to their utility for instrument making.

Thread: John Stevenson Trophy
26/01/2018 11:40:30

Does it contain a ground Bridgeport? smiley

Thread: Cat Litter Recommendation
21/01/2018 22:20:40

You really need cow poop, cat poop has completely the wrong consistency, if you roll some between your hands you will see what I mean, this is best done at arms length. indecision

21/01/2018 12:14:44
Posted by choochoo_baloo on 20/01/2018 22:54:15:
Posted by daveb on 20/01/2018 15:28:54:

Thanks for the specific instructions Dave. Do you mind me PM'ing you if I get stuck along the way?

You're welcome, I will help if I can. Daveb

Thread: London model engineering exhibition
20/01/2018 17:14:57

Stueeee, there was a big queue inside but no one else in the entrance foyer where the searcher lurked, we had no idea what was going on. I would strongly resist any attempt to confiscate anything, AP and the exhibition organisers can run the exhibition any way they please but if there are to be intrusive entry restrictions administered by officious twits I want to know about them in advance. Not sure about the number of trade stands but they will probably have to give up if their potential customers are treated like this. Will we all be strip searched next year?

Daveb

20/01/2018 15:28:54

You have to undo the headstock screws, these are usually very tight. Fit the lower belt guide, remove spindle and fit belts, assemble top end and fit belts to countershaft pulley. Adjust belts one at a time until they are just tight enough, if they are too tight the roller frame will distort and cause the belt to ride off and jam. Some patience is required to get it right, I persevered and was happy very with the outcome. There is enough effort involved for many people to look at alternatives, but they would probably prefer a Super7 anyway.

Daveb

Thread: London model engineering exhibition
20/01/2018 12:59:49

I went to the Alexandra Palace model engineering exhibition yesterday with my wife. As we walked through the doors from the Palm Court a young man dressed in blazer and flannels called after my wife, 'Bag! What's in the bag?' He was most unappreciative of my reply! I understand that the organisers H&S assessment may have considered a baggage search necessary but there was no clear signage of what was going on. It was clumsy and badly organised.

Daveb

Edited By daveb on 20/01/2018 13:10:49

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridenne Boat 2019
ChesterUK
Warco
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest