By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for daveb

Here is a list of all the postings daveb has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Anyone here got Amazon Echo Plus, Alexa?
06/04/2018 09:46:47

I think I would pass on gadgets that make random noises. We had a cat toy some years ago, a ball, when it was moved it screamed 'Here kitty kitty', not amusing when it finds it's way into your bedroom and does it's thing at 3AM.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
04/04/2018 13:32:28

Not the first to fly under Tower Bridge, Mr Godefroy did it too!

Thread: April fools 2018
01/04/2018 12:16:59

What's Belgium?

Daveb

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
31/03/2018 15:29:51
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 30/03/2018 21:49:30:

Interesting comments on employment practice.

I always think my biggest mistakes as a boss were persuading people to stay in jobs they weren't entirely happy in.

Neil

I suppose I made mistakes but that wasn't one of them. If I or the employee were not entirely happy with their job, I helped them to move on as soon as possible.

Daveb

Thread: Our Wildlife and Conservation Activieties in Nambia
30/03/2018 13:23:30

Engineering with the emphasis on conservation, well done, all of you!

Daveb

Thread: Clever invention
28/03/2018 20:37:40

I really hate turning the stop cock off, some of the spiders have been down there since 1880.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Power X Feed Query
28/03/2018 20:21:26

It's nice to have friends! I think I could forgive the rust!

To replace the cross slide on a power cross feed Super7, slide on the cross slide until the FEED screw engages with the nut, stop when resistance is felt, turn LEAD screw handle whilst gently pulling power cross feed button until it pops out. Turn LEAD screw handle whilst gently turning CROSS feed, keep turning LEAD screw handle until FEED screw lines up with the keyway, push button in and screw FEED screw in.

It sounds complicated but it's all done by feel, after you've done it a couple of times it's easy and much faster than taking everything apart to get the cross slide on.

Edited By daveb on 28/03/2018 20:26:12

Thread: Howell Twin Four Stroke - completed item
28/03/2018 17:24:52

CorRad, very nice indeed!

Daveb

Thread: Clever invention
27/03/2018 15:10:41

I used a similar device about 40 years ago to plumb in a washing machine, I'm fairly sure it had a cone shaped drill rather than a punch.

01/03/2018 10:36:42

Lathejack, it's nice to see some large scale model engineering. smiley

Thread: An odd grub
27/02/2018 11:57:29
Posted by BDH on 26/02/2018 18:07:04:

The flat ended ones come in 2 flavours, known as dog and half dog.

Brian

WOOF WO sad

Thread: Help needed to identify maker of treadle grinder/ polisher
25/02/2018 21:12:56

It is a glass lathe, for making Cut Glass items, decanters, tumblers, etc.

24/02/2018 20:53:21

It's too pretty to use, I would have this in my hall or living room.

24/02/2018 20:43:39
Posted by Clive Hartland on 23/02/2018 22:20:36:

You survived the Cadbury chocolate? It is so full of Palm oil now it tastes peppery.

Haven't had any chocolate for a while now, having to watch cholesterol and sugar intake. Ever tasted a Hershey Bar? tastes of soap to me, at least I wouldn't eat much of it!

Thread: Smart and brown model L belt change
21/02/2018 23:06:19

S&B drive belts were a composite of leather and plastic. Two different glues were required to join them. At one time (perhaps they still do) the makers would supply a press clamp on loan when you bought a new belt and glue.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
19/02/2018 20:24:14
Posted by ronan walsh on 19/02/2018 20:05:13:

Posted by duncan webster on 19/02/2018 17:18:48 :The AMC twin with centre bearing were notorious for bottom end problems, was this due to lack of alignment?

I had one that suffered terminal bottom end problems, the crank case disintegrated due to a broken con-rod. I don't see how the bearing could have got out of alignment, I suspect the problem was caused by a blockage in the oil supply to the big ends.

Thread: Couple of things at Lidl
19/02/2018 20:01:55

It's worth noting that the compressor is small (CFM) and will run some of the tools for short bursts only. It's really annoying when you have to wait for the tank to fill up before you can carry on. If noise is an issue, air tools are probably not for you.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
19/02/2018 16:54:38
Posted by ronan walsh on 19/02/2018 16:42:55:

I got talking to an old boy at the local jumble years ago, it was a hilarious conversation. He like most had reached an age when the aches, pains and other health issues had put him off his classic bikes, so reluctantly he sold them off. After a while and missing motorcycling, he was advised to buy a "modern" royal oilfield single with electric start. All the looks and positives of classic motorcycles, with none of the negatives (ho ho ho).

So he went and bought a brand new out of the dealers showroom Bullet with leccy start. Then the calamity started, The miracle electric start packed up, the clutch fell off the end of the gearbox mainshaft, the wheel bearings went, the steering head bearings went, everything chromed started to rust, the big end went, and when it was replaced, the conrod was found to be bent, and all the aluminium castings took to corrode.

Well I'll be blowed! They made it just like a genuine British bike. I've been looking at these for a while, can't quite decide if I want one.

19/02/2018 13:14:51
Posted by Ian Abbott on 18/02/2018 23:44:51:

My last bike. 1998 Royal Enfield (they'd just acquired the "Royal" bit) 500 Bullet, Indian built.

Apparently bought by someone working in India and taken back to England when he'd finished the job.

My wife and I found it when we were walking along a quiet lane in Devon, while we were in England for an extended visit, visiting relatives before we all kick the bucket.

Anyway, as we passed a garage with the doors open we spotted the bike gently rusting away beside flowing water. Where the rust had taken over completely on the chrome mudguards, someone had just slapped a coat of black enamel, same with the festering alloy castings. But it had only done a few hundred miles.

This thing had all the disadvantages of a 1955 British bike, with a whole load of Indian problems added on.

Not having any facilities, it lived under a cover and I cleaned, scraped and oiled until it looked as though it just had fifty years of UK usage on it. I did manage to stop some leaks, but others were impossible without machine tools.

Casings crumbled and the wheels were just about rusted through. The engine breather pumped oil out onto the chain, which was good, but the quantity was not. Threads in the casings were stripped out and the carb flatly refused to stay connected to the engine.

The gearbox started out with four sort of functioning ratios, but in the short time I owned it, it gained three or four neutrals as well, apparently a common thing.

This was about the time my legs were finally giving way and apart from dropping the bike, I couldn't get my foot up onto the kickstart, so I parked it.

Then one day I received a phone call from someone who knew someone who restored bikes as a sort of business cum hobby. I hadn't paid much for the bike and he offered me about the same, so I "reluctantly" parted company with the bike and helped him load it into his van. I had thought of bringing it back to Canada with us, but reason prevailed.

Shortly after, we headed back home to Canada safe in the knowledge that my time with motorcycles was over.

However. It began to cross my mind that even if I don't ride one, I could still have a project bike ongoing in the workshop that would keep my mind occupied, along with the thirty odd other little projects on the go.

Nothing has shown up yet, but you never know what's out there. Maybe a nice Brough Superior that's been parked in a barn and no one knows it's there.

This is a photograph of the RE at an machinery working meet in Devon. When I arrived and tried to go to the car park, the marshals said the bike looked so old, it should be displayed with the antique motorcycles.

Hmmmm.

royal enfield.jpg

You haven't got there until they put the bike in the concours and you in the antiques.

18/02/2018 13:27:27
Posted by Bob Rodgerson on 15/02/2018 09:58:30:

If the faces of the joint are perfectly flat and unmarked they will seal, my BSA A-10 doesn't leak despite it being over 50 years old.

A British bike that doesn't leak oil? Whatever you do, don't start it up until you've put some oil in it. angel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest