By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for daveb

Here is a list of all the postings daveb has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Super7 headstock oiler
09/08/2018 15:49:01

I've seen a few Myford Super7s with a flip top oiler on top of the headstock front bearing (the tapered bronze bush). Is this a factory fitted item? The wick lubricator seems to work well enough but I wondered if this was a factory mod for sustained high speed operation. Dave.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
09/08/2018 15:40:55
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 01/08/2018 22:42:23:

Today, to my astonishment, I bought MEW issue 1

... complete with the pull-out Plans, which are still stapled in place.

Happy to scan these in A4 sections if Neil would like to host the jigsaw puzzle as a set of PDFs

MichaelG.

Are you saying I've been sitting on a goldmine? Dave

Thread: fire warning
09/07/2018 11:24:23
Posted by Windy on 09/07/2018 09:51:29:

Another common fire risk are disposable lighters while at Kingsbury water park with the hydro on a hot day the following happened.

A disposable lighter which I use a lot for firing the burners exploded on the bench and was like a rocket so keep them out of direct sunlight.

I read an artical some years ago, a footballer was fatally injured when a lighter exploded in his breast pocket.

Thread: AMOLCO milling attachment
06/07/2018 22:29:24

I had a Rodney attachment with my ML7, the cross slide wasn't rigid enough for milling, fitting a Super7 cross slide was a huge improvement. The attachment is intended to use the Myford patent 2MT collets, these are available used. Chucks use up a lot of space between the spindle nose and cross slide of which there isn't much to begin with. The prices being asked for used Rodney attachments is almost enough for a used milling machine - unless you really must have all the Myford attachments - that would probably be more useful. Machines with hammer marks were usually not paid for by the user!

Thread: Boll Aero
19/06/2018 17:13:34

Small compression ignition engines can be difficult to start, an electric starter motor would make life easier. I still have the scars from the one I had over 50 years ago.

Thread: Meteor detecting
18/06/2018 21:54:36
Posted by Rik Shaw on 18/06/2018 07:50:57:

Thirty something years ago we were camping on a site by Chesil beach. It was a clear but moonless night around two in the morn and black as your hat when I unzipped the tent flap to visit the site toilet. What I saw near took my breath away. I have never seen so many stars in the sky before or since. I saw two shooting stars before I had even reached the lav - an unforgettable memory! (the stars - not the lav) cheeky

Rik

Light pollution makes it difficult to see the night sky, mountains are probably the best place to view, if you haven't seen it before you will be amazed at the number of stars in the sky.

Dave

Thread: Red fibre gasket material
16/06/2018 16:00:11
Posted by Ian S C on 16/06/2018 13:19:59:

If you have a bit of old circuit board with a section with no holes, strip off any copper, and there you go, old boards tend to be larger, with larger areas without components.

Ian S C

This reminded me, when I first started assembling printed circuit boards they were made out of Paxolin (SRBP), after a few years the manufacturers changed to glass fibre sheet. Dave.

14/06/2018 21:41:20

It is called Red Fibreboard, appears to be made of compressed, chemically treated felt. I have some thick stuff, how much do you need?

Thread: Embossing/Etching
06/06/2018 22:26:04

Hmmmm, I think I've been watching too much TV, I read the thread title as Embarrasing Itching!

Thread: Alba 1A Shaper.
29/05/2018 20:03:47
Posted by Lathejack on 26/05/2018 22:09:31:

I remember the rows of used, and seemingly unwanted, shapers. They always had quite a few Boxford models in stock.

When the UK schools curriculum dropped all forms of practical work and disposed of their metalworking equipment there were thousands of shapers on the market, many of which had never been used. It was difficult to GIVE the things away. There has been a resurgence of interest in recent years. I blame ill considered articles in MEW for the current high prices.

blush

26/05/2018 21:13:21

My Alba shaper had both horizontal and vertical feeds, I believe the vertical feed was an optional extra. The only thing this model lacked was the table support, which isn't a problem if depth of cut is reasonable.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
25/05/2018 13:37:26

Thank you all for socks/trousers putter onner info.

Any of you with bad backs, if you are not already aware, the problem will not go away. While you are fit enough to move about, get youself some walking sticks, crutches, a Zimmer frame and whatever else you need for minimum mobility BEFORE you need it. If you leave it until your back packs up, you get in a NHS Catch 22 situation where you have to go somewhere to be assessed. NOT useful at all if you need crutches (which you haven't got) to go and get crutches. You may not think it important until you actually have a problem but a week or more without sleep will definitely change your mind. You will be fortunate indeed to get any effective pain relief without visiting your GP, which you will not be able to do without some mobility aids.

Dave

24/05/2018 22:14:05
Posted by Ian S C on 24/05/2018 13:04:09:

Ady1, here in NZ, and I presume in UK, you can get through your chemist shop a devise for putting socks on without having to bend over. You just thread the sock on the end, hang onto the handles, poke your toes in the end of the sock and pull.

Ian S C

I suspected such a thing may exist, I've asked in chemist shops with no luck, when I say I need it to stop me bending over their eyebrows go up. I wear slip on shoes but they are sometimes difficult to find, I suppose that's the vaguaries of fashion. I had a notion that an adaption of the hot dip wax used for coating new and resharpened cutters might be useful, might keep my toenails nice and sharp if nothing else. Dave W, yes, I've spent many miserable hours on the floor, nothing like dragging yourself along by your fingertips to make you appreciate the simple things. Amazing how many large spiders pop in to say hello when you're stuck on the deck, hairy buggers are just flaunting all their legs.

Dave

24/05/2018 11:07:58

Ady1, I know what you mean about getting socks on. When my back plays up, I have a sockless week (or month) depending on how bad it is. Sometimes it has to be a trouserless week, I don't go out much when it's that bad!

13/05/2018 18:42:36

Michael, thanks for the Grey Flash links. Very pretty too! I could almost forgive them for only being half a bike.

Dave

13/05/2018 12:08:33
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 12/05/2018 19:02:04:
Posted by Ian Parkin on 12/05/2018 14:03:32:

... then decide which way he wants to proceed...hes thinking oily rag rather than concours

A replica Grey Flash would be nice

MichaelG.

The engine has one cylinder missing, how about a Norton engine in a Vincent frame?

Dave

Thread: Myford gearbox question
05/05/2018 20:58:03

Mark, your post crossed with mine, glad you sorted the problem. I've had leadscrew handwheels on all my lathes, I turn the leadscrew by hand whilst moving the gearbox levers, probably kinder to the machine than trying to engage the gears while it's running.

05/05/2018 20:53:10

You would have had to take the top off the gearbox to fit it. On the underside of the gearbox ABC lever there is a quadrant, a bronze slipper fits onto this, the oblong part engages in a slot in a sliding gear. It sounds as if the slipper is either not engaged with the sliding gear of it has fallen off. It needs to be supported with a finger and guided into position when refitting the top of the gearbox.

Thread: Myford Lathe Tool Inserts
28/04/2018 20:38:09
Posted by mechman48 on 28/04/2018 18:06:57:

looking at the tip you show I'll bet it's a two sided tip, 3 edges ea. on top & bottom.

​George.

Indeed it is! I have a Myford holder to fit the patent rocking shoe. The tips are straight edged, they sit at an angle in the holder to provide front relief.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
26/04/2018 17:35:59
Posted by Meunier on 16/04/2018 20:22:57:

Back in the early '70s one of our club members had a Vincent and I used to drool over it.
Fast forward a couple of weeks and he turned up on a Honda CB400 ?
When I asked him what happened to the Vincent he replied that with an electric start he could spend more time enjoying riding it than starting it.
DaveD

The Lucas magneto didn't do the bike any favours and you really didn't want to spent too long kicking the thing over. The differnce is that they are now worth enough to spend the money to sort them out, but if you want it to be completely original, that's another thing altogether.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridenne Boat 2019
ChesterUK
Warco
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest