By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for daveb

Here is a list of all the postings daveb has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
20/04/2019 21:42:25
Posted by duncan webster on 20/04/2019 11:01:56:

but the glass is brittle from day 1. I got some lengths of glass tube for a sight feed lubricator from a scientific glassblowing company in Chester, might have been these men **LINK**

They supplied cut to length and flame sealed. If not google is your friend

Edited By duncan webster on 20/04/2019 11:02:25

Thank you Duncan, useful info.

Daveb

20/04/2019 10:46:46
Posted by duncan webster on 19/04/2019 23:00:59:
Posted by daveb on 19/04/2019 17:40:44:

Adams oiler was leaking on my ML7, (it's about fifty years old but appeared to be in excellent condition, apologies to other ML7 owners who will know what comes next!) would empty itself over two or three days. I had a good look at it, oil seemed to be leaking past the needle. I removed it from the machine, couldn't see any problem with it, I thought there might be some debris holding the needle off the seat. So it took it apart, I carefully examined the plastic bowl for cracks - nothing! I checked and cleaned the other parts and decided to reassemble. When I picked up the plastic bowl, it fell apart into four pieces, there were cracks radiating out from the hole in the top. It seems that removing the top nut allowed the bowl to change shape and crack. I still don't know why it was leaking but I don't suppose it matters now.

I'm now looking for some 30mm glass tube. Have you seen the price of small drip feed oilers?, 50ml ones are about £3.50 frim China, why are they asking £22.50 for 25ml ones?

Daveb

plenty of perspex tube on ebay at about £8 per foot

Thanks Duncan. I was looking for glass because the perspex seems to get brittle after 50 years, I'd have to do the job again in 2069. smiley

19/04/2019 17:40:44

Adams oiler was leaking on my ML7, (it's about fifty years old but appeared to be in excellent condition, apologies to other ML7 owners who will know what comes next!) would empty itself over two or three days. I had a good look at it, oil seemed to be leaking past the needle. I removed it from the machine, couldn't see any problem with it, I thought there might be some debris holding the needle off the seat. So it took it apart, I carefully examined the plastic bowl for cracks - nothing! I checked and cleaned the other parts and decided to reassemble. When I picked up the plastic bowl, it fell apart into four pieces, there were cracks radiating out from the hole in the top. It seems that removing the top nut allowed the bowl to change shape and crack. I still don't know why it was leaking but I don't suppose it matters now.

I'm now looking for some 30mm glass tube. Have you seen the price of small drip feed oilers?, 50ml ones are about £3.50 frim China, why are they asking £22.50 for 25ml ones?

Daveb

Thread: Dialect expressions
13/04/2019 23:09:46

Next week, next Tuesday etc. Means the week or day AFTER the next. Seems peculiar to Essex.

Thread: New coffee maker - disgusting taste!
18/02/2019 17:35:09
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/02/2019 20:08:31:
Posted by ChrisH on 17/02/2019 10:52:31:

On NO account should instant coffee be used, EVER. Stuff is disgusting, an abomination, and should be totally banned. How people can drink that stuff is beyond me, it's revolting.

You're obviously too young to remember coffee powder.

When freeze-dried granules came out people complained 'it's not the same'

Neil

Camp coffee, 50s, not sure if it's still around, a thick treacally liquid which I think was mostly chicory extract. One spoonful mixed with hot water made an interesting drink, didn't taste anything at all like coffee but I shouldn't think the real stuff was available in those days, not much else was!

Thread: 5 Cylinder Rotary Air Engine
23/01/2019 22:14:16

I recall fizzy drinks bottles being used for on board CO2 tanks. Can't remember how much pressure they would take but it was a lot. Should be easy enough to pressure test a few bottles with a boiler test set.

Thread: Crumbling Monkey Metal
20/01/2019 17:35:53

Reminded me of an engineering firm who made motor scooters in the late 50s. The handlebar bracket was a Mazak casting, the handlebars tended to fall off.

Thread: What are they?
20/01/2019 17:27:02

It is a chamfer tool for round metal bar and threaded rod after cutting. Not a new idea, I had a similar item 50 years ago for use on wooden dowels.

Thread: Ally Pally Exhibition advance tickets
03/01/2019 19:08:15

The internet is a golden opportunity for thieves, there was (is?) an almost identical copy of the government road tax renewal site. They rip you off for checking and submitting your road tax application, an unnecessary service and one which is deliberately intended to defraud. A lot of care is needed when dealing on the internet, make sure that the site you connect to is the site you actually want, search engines are just as likely to direct you to the people you want to avoid.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
02/01/2019 18:57:18

I wouldn't mind getting it all wrong if my jobs turned out like that.

I like the drill jig, just what I need for my Clarkson.

Very nice work Joe!

Daveb

Thread: Using Hobs without a Hobbing Machine
01/01/2019 21:52:55

Isn't that the hat from the first Harry Potter film?

Thread: Restoration and modifications to a Tom Senior light vertical mill
26/12/2018 15:15:17

Very nice work on the rack. You could probably buy a Bridgeport for the cost of the Tom Senior and get it ready made.

Thread: Modern efficiency !!!!!!!!!
20/12/2018 20:27:45
Posted by Hopper on 20/12/2018 11:17:56:
(For example: If it's a BMW motorcycle: $5,000 ABS module needs to be replaced if it corrodes. No repair possible. Funny that!)
And people actually buy these motorcycles?

Thread: New member
15/12/2018 21:00:42

I would go with photo etching, if they are a standard size you could do the artwork once and print them as needed.

Thread: What material is it
15/12/2018 20:52:04

There are different grades of brass, some alloys are hard, some are ductile. It could be bronze. There are different grades of bronze. Sometimes difficult to tell one from the other. Daveb

Thread: It's not rocket science
13/12/2018 22:18:06
Posted by mark costello 1 on 13/12/2018 22:02:04:

The meteorite I just turned was so hard it must have been heat treated in the sun, and quenched in the shadow of the moon.

I think I've got some bars of that stuff, I can let you have it for a real keen price. Daveb

Thread: Pro’s and cons of owning an horizontal milling machine
10/12/2018 21:28:27

Most of the small bench mounted horizontal mills lack a backgear, that and the small motor makes them suitable for slitting saws and not much else. Daveb

Thread: Help with Electrics on Emco FB-2 Milling head/table
10/12/2018 21:12:29

Emco motors are a bit peculiar and their schematics leave much to be desired. I've had two of the 4 speed milling heads, one 3 phase and one single phase. The single phase motor was actually a 3 phase delta connected motor with the line and neutral connected to (any) two of the wires and the capacitor connected between line or neutral (depending on which direction you want the motor to run) and the other wire. To confirm, use a multimeter to check the resistance between the 3 black wires, 1-2, 2-3, 1-3, they should all be the same. Daveb

Thread: Mk1 Super 7 - What colours ?
28/11/2018 16:15:04

In the 60s/70s Myfords got a touch of flower power and produced some lathes in interesting colours. I particularly admired the bright orange. Hippies with lathes, whatever next? Daveb.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
26/11/2018 19:14:24

Started taking the motor off the Super7 to replace noisy bearing. Disconnected wiring, slackened screws and then found motor pulley was loose.

Nice and quiet now!

I get worse as I get older!

Daveb

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest