By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Gordon 4

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Gordon 4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sino SDS-2MS Dro problems
13/06/2019 11:21:59

Hello Mike

I wonder if you were to resolve the this issue with your SDS2MS ? I have been having the exact same issue with mine. I have had it for many years but recently decided to try and put it to greater use and like you when I tried to carry PCD function my problems started. Like you Allendale sent me the SDS 6 manual but this was of no help. I am talking to Allendale but so far they have not been able to offer a solution.

Kind regards

Alan Gordon

Thread: Vega Twin Completed
15/01/2019 10:00:08

Hi Cor, I have sent you a PM

Thread: Selecting a VFD for a Harrison lathe.
04/01/2019 17:57:59

Go “ Newton Tesla” you will not be disappointed 

Edited By Alan Gordon 4 on 04/01/2019 17:59:57

Thread: Propdriver
08/12/2018 13:41:59

Thanks Jason You are probably aware I am still on the learning curve, however I have to say that the Firefly is coming along well, so looking forward to its first run soon

08/12/2018 10:22:29

Wonderful this is exactly what I was after. Just another thing Jason, I also have completed cons rods as you have done however how did you over come the problem of the cutter "digging in" while turning the con rod in the chuck /rotary table.I found that "very gentle" cuts plus a good grip was required but is there another way that I need educating in ?

regards

Alan

08/12/2018 09:20:06

Thanks for that Les, very interesting.

08/12/2018 08:11:10

Hi All, Well I am on the final lap of completing The Whitaker "Firefly" I have to say it has been a steep learning curve, but getting there, There is however one part that is throwing me and that is machining the prop driver, The outside is not an issue but machining the internal "flat" to locate on to the crankshaft. I could secure with a grub screw but would like to learn how to machine the internal flat. Any help would ( believe me ) be greatly appreciated.

Edited By Alan Gordon 4 on 08/12/2018 08:11:41

Thread: Vega Twin Completed
08/12/2018 08:03:15

Looks wonderful, nice job.

Thread: Duralumin
18/11/2018 17:41:12

Sincere apologies: The back issue I am after is March 2012, ( as stated on the plan ) however it is RCM&E not ME !! I will have to read things just a bit more carefully, lol

18/11/2018 17:24:00

Afraid not.

18/11/2018 16:45:49

Thanks for that Jason, It is indeed to be used for a con rod, In fact I know you know the engine very well : Firefly 46. Can I take this opportunity of thanking you for an excellent build article

Edited By Alan Gordon 4 on 18/11/2018 16:46:55

18/11/2018 16:13:20

Good afternoon Folks, I am looking to buy a small a small length of 9 mm square Duralumin (or bigger). Could anyone advise me where I could get some, I did order some up but I am not to sure whether what I got was indeed Duralumin.

Thread: Obtaining old issues
12/11/2018 14:39:06

I chaps: I am after an issue of Model Engineer March 2012, I am interested in the artical regarding the FireFly 46 engine build. Can any one help ?

Thread: grade of Aluminium
30/09/2018 09:51:16

Hi, I am turning down a piece of aluminium round stock, the chips that are coming of are like grains of sand ? i have tried different speeds and inserts but the chips remain the same. I notice on the end it is coded red so my question is this can anyone suggest what grade of aluminium this might be ?

Thread: En8 212m36
25/09/2018 17:16:31

Thanks guys, Will contact tomorrow, many thanks

25/09/2018 16:59:53

Hi, Guys

I am at present building a small IC glow engine which calls for "212m36" EN8 steel for the crank shaft. Can anyone recommend where I might purchase a small length ? I have tried the usual suppliers to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated

Thread: Myford belts
21/09/2018 21:17:02

Gentlemen, Many thanks for your advice and help, I have ordered the two belts from Lathe Spares.

21/09/2018 10:34:55

Hi Guys. I would like to replace the belts on my Super 7. I was thinking on using link type belts for ease of installation any advice and help would be appreciated ie general thoughts, where would I get them, sizes etc.

Thread: Boring Head
17/05/2018 12:52:09

Thanks guys for your advice, I have taken all advice and I believe the problem was backlash. I ensured that I took out as much backlash as possible on X and Y axis and kept checking my DRO to ensure that 0.000 was always showing with no drift. Mission acomplished.

17/05/2018 10:02:46

Hi Guys, I have scrapped a small crank case due to the bored hole being off centre !!

I have started a new crankcase and ensured that all was centred and locked down, I installed a new Vertex boring head and a new cutter and turned the head by hand very slowly, I was amazed to see that when the cutter was set to just graze the inside surface of the pre drilled hole but when turned 180 Degrees it wanted to over cut ? This why the first hole was off centre. I am sure I am doing something daft but I cannot figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne Sept 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest