By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sam Longley 1

Here is a list of all the postings Sam Longley 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: workshop floor - strength question
07/02/2022 11:15:13

I have a chinese diesel heater in an insulated garage 20 ft * 12 ft * average 9 ft high & I find it next to useless. I have to use a calor gas radiant heater to suplement it & i find the gas heater far more effective & cheaper. The chinese thing uses lots of fuel ( cost seems to be running double calor gas) & I have tried different temp settings. Having to run it off 12 volts is an issue as well as I have to have a battery charger on the battery at the same time, otherwise the battery goes flat in a short time -

When I had my Joinery works, one of the buildings had 15 electric radiant heaters aimed at each work station. They were very effective & the workforce had no complaints. However, electricity was cheaper then, so I am not sure how they would stack up now with one each aimed at the lathe, mill & work bench.

The wife pays the bills so it might be a massive no no.

As for under floor heating, one only needs to decide where one wants the machinery, Omit the insulation & fill that part in with concrete. There is no point in heating a machine so go round it. . No need to put it under side benches if you are going to stack boxes & tool chests there either. One needs to plan the layout first.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 07/02/2022 11:19:32

Thread: Drilling deep holes - 10x drill diameter - Runout?
06/02/2022 08:53:57
Posted by The Merry Miller on 31/10/2011 13:44:08:

That's very true Chris, especially when using large hand operated ratchet drills (shades of the 1950's)

Len P.

I watched one of my fathers operatives drilling 3/4 holes in an RSJ really quite quickly & probably with less fuss than one might with an electric drill today. I know that I have had occasion to drill such holes on site & thought how much easier it would be with a ratchet drill if one had room for the clamp

I have often wondered how accurate the finished hole diameter would be. ie would there be less tollerance than one usually gets with drilling at speed. I might also ask what the smallest diameter of sharp drill one could successfully use with such equipment. Would the hole wander & would it be oversize? Are high speeds really the answer.

Thread: Galvanic Corrosion
02/02/2022 09:16:47
Posted by J Hancock on 02/02/2022 08:48:02:

Atom by atom , the aluminium channel will try to become part of the iron/steel campervan roof..

In reality , this will probably not be a problem during your ownership.

That sounds like a common phrase used in our village which has a high elderly population content

"Well it will see me out"

Most depressing & i am sure the Op will appreciate your prophecy.

I bet you will be trying to sell him an excellent  Sun Life life insurance policy next?sad

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 02/02/2022 09:23:02

02/02/2022 08:09:03

Try this

Duralac paste

I have seen some real howlers where unprotected stainless steel has been used against aluminium, particularly in yacht masts.(I get involved in yacht rigging for our club). Of course salt water is a more difficult environment, but it will accelerate corrosion in a surprisingly short time- By that I mean as little as 18 months, sometimes less

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 02/02/2022 08:19:53

Thread: Dust Extraction
24/01/2022 17:07:57

I had 3 & Any bits of metal may penetrate the polythene bags & let the air out. Wood chips that are sharp sometimes used to do this on thin bags.I forget the gauge, but you may need a heavier one than the standard that one you may get.

You may want 50mm hoses to your tooling if expecting to move it about during use as the standard 4 inch is too awkward & by the time you reduce the hose size you get little more suction than a Henry cleaner.

Not worth it, unless permanently attached to a static wood machine such as a planer, thicknesser, saw etc

Thread: Machine a rectangle from a bar
21/01/2022 11:50:20
Posted by noel shelley on 21/01/2022 09:54:59:

If the collets are a faff to change you could go the whole hog and fit a self centreing 6 jaw chuck - that will speed things up no end. Or copy the clarkson drill grinding attachment ? Noel.

The benefit of this tool is that it is nice & compact, taking up little room. nice & light & easy to slide under the bench. The collet chuck is multi functional.  I suspect that something using a six jaw chuck might be in a different ball game

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 21/01/2022 11:51:07

20/01/2022 17:09:34
Posted by MikeK on 05/01/2022 16:53:13:

Looking forward to hearing about your build, Sam. I'm interested in making Gadgetbuilder's drill sharpener as well.

I have almost finished. I hate trying to work to a set of instructions, rather than a proper sheet of drawings so made a couple of silly errors. However, today i reached a stage where I was able to sharpen my first drill bit. An old 8mm one. I have to say that I was somewhat impressed with the result.

However, I would recommend not doing what I did & buying ER 32 collets in lieu of smaller size recommended on the design. The set up is not designed around it & the nut etc gets in the way. I bought a set of ER 32 collets with a morse taper chuck along with a 25mm * 150mm parallel shaft chuck ( for this project) because I wanted a set for my mill & lathe as well.

I bought the grinding disc from RDG along with the collets & fitted it to a small grinder that I have had for years. I had to make some adaptions as the nut in the centre of the grinder fouls the trunion pivot arms. I also feel that the distance between the trunion pivots is small. One pivot comes in the centre of the grinder disc & I would prefer it to be much wider such that the complete disc sat between the 2 pivot supports .

The other problem is that it is a faff changing collets for each drill bit size. Systems whereby the drill sits in a channel would possibly be much quicker to use. However, it produces such a good accurate grind on the end of the bit it may be possible to grind once then touch up a couple of times on my belt sander.

This was an interesting project & i am now proposing to start on a more detailed sharpener. I have built a Tinker but find it lacking due to the fact I did not have the full set of drawings. There is a model with a dipping head shown on this forum & ( Forgotten where the link is!sad). I will try that for fun. It all improves my skills before I finally venture to a quorn

It certainly feels nice to drill a hole in steel & get 2 even spirals of swarf rise from the hole.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 20/01/2022 17:13:03

Thread: Need to cut long thin strips of steel (& plastic) - e.g. with an angle grinder?
18/01/2022 21:24:02

Get a bit of fencing wire, or copper wire 1.8mm th & pass it through 2 rollers untill flattened to the right thickness & 2mm wide. That might do the 1.4 * 2mm But I could not suggest 5 mm that way.

Years ago I had one of these cutterIt ended up a bit bent & had the imprint of the toothed wheel though. But cut the metal quite quickly

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 18/01/2022 21:24:49

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 18/01/2022 21:28:38

Thread: Royal Fail
18/01/2022 16:02:20
Posted by John Doe 2 on 18/01/2022 12:50:41:

We have surely all been jabbed three times by now. Time to remove the masks and the restrictions. Any one who is vulnerable or worried or refuses to get vaccinated; they are the ones who should be taking precautions. The rest of us need to get on with rebuilding our economy.

The figures tell us that your assumption is possibly incorrect.

I would not be happy walking round the supermarket, or in our local shop etc alongside you if you were not wearing a mask. It is not a big imposition & research by Bristol university, when complete, & published, might well debug the You tubers theory that they do not help. Quite the opposite in fact.

One might tend to agree about the charter for some to use Covid testing as an excuse for a few days off work. It is up to management to be firm on these matters. But my experience of employing over 1500 people in my business over 50 years would suggest that most just want to do a days work, go home at the end of the day & avoid the hassle.

As for " fly by night couriers". I would suggest that some are actually very good. DHL - In our area at least- use the same 2 or 3 drivers & they are polite, friendly, efficient & excellent at picking up errors in deliveries. IE a parcel addressed to the next village from a marine company was bought to my address by a courier as he recognised the name & guessed there was a possible mistake.

But there are, of course the well known failures & i agree that one might ask suppliers NOT to use them or find another supplier if possible.

But i am still waiting for my Diamond tool holders

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 18/01/2022 16:04:26

12/01/2022 19:39:57
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 12/01/2022 17:57:24:
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 12/01/2022 17:37:02:
Posted by Paul Lousick on 11/01/2022 22:14:35:

The UK is not the only country with postal delivery problems. We have a similar problem with Australia Post because of a shortage of courier drivers who have cortracted Covid. Some supermarket shelves are empty because they can't get supplies.

Australia. Now there is a laugh. My diamond tool holders ordered beginning of November still not have arrived, Although I understand that they hit UK customs 4-5 days ago. Apparently the main hold up was Aus customs ( Why would they worry about stuff going OUT?)

In any event i would not bother using Ecentric Engineering again. Not worth the wait. Stuff will have rusted through by the time I get itsad

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 12/01/2022 17:37:33

why send to OZ when they have a UK stockist (just wondering)

H

It was a prezzie from family so I did not order it. However, I have asked them & it appears that it is a woman working part time with no credit card facility. The cost is no cheaper( actually slightly more)  & the set up seemed a bit " mickey mouse". As a result they ordered direct from the manufacturer. It would probably have come from them anyway

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 12/01/2022 20:10:15

12/01/2022 17:37:02
Posted by Paul Lousick on 11/01/2022 22:14:35:

The UK is not the only country with postal delivery problems. We have a similar problem with Australia Post because of a shortage of courier drivers who have cortracted Covid. Some supermarket shelves are empty because they can't get supplies.

Australia. Now there is a laugh. My diamond tool holders ordered beginning of November still not have arrived, Although I understand that they hit UK customs 4-5 days ago. Apparently the main hold up was Aus customs ( Why would they worry about stuff going OUT?)

In any event i would not bother using Ecentric Engineering again. Not worth the wait. Stuff will have rusted through by the time I get itsad

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 12/01/2022 17:37:33

Thread: Rubber window glazing strip
09/01/2022 13:10:01
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 09/01/2022 12:45:44:

Good tip, fit the seals on a warm day especially if you have tight radius on the corners.

I have completely dismantled the cab & it is in my workshop for painting etc. so I will follow that advice & turn the heat up. I will not need a lot of persuasion in this weather.

Thanks.

09/01/2022 11:42:13
Posted by Andy Stopford on 09/01/2022 10:28:40:

Try COH Baines of Tunbridge Wells

Hurrah, Hurrah- Thankyou ,Thankyou laugh

Finally found it. Someone who does the actual section I was looking for & it is cheap( relatively that is!!) as well

Really apreciate that ---Thanks for the linkyes

Sam Longley

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 09/01/2022 11:43:03

09/01/2022 11:19:26
Posted by Gerald Howarth on 09/01/2022 10:49:39:

Could try Seals Direct, https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/, they seem to have most shapes in their catalogue.

Thanks but All the filler type

09/01/2022 09:57:44

martin

Thanks, But unfortunately they do not list the simple "H" section. Only the one with the break in the front.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 09/01/2022 10:06:41

09/01/2022 09:19:03

Hopefully someone can help me here but I am having a bad hair daysad

I am refurbishing the cab on our club Ford 4000 tractor & it involves removing some of the glass panels, dealing with rust, then replacing the glass.

The glass is held in with a simple "H" section strip. I want to replicate that strip - I do NOT want the types with inserts etc - just the H type that one fixes with a cord.

I have spent the last hour on tractor sites, auto factors & rubber seal sites but no one seems to do it. Plus I am having problems knowing what to google to find it. I keep coming up with door & window draught excluder strips

Does anyone, into vehicle restoration, know where I can get a cheap H section strip, or what I should be googling for, please. I probably need about 10-15 metres, but not sure yet. Money is tight so I am very limited on spend

Thanks Sam Longley

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 09/01/2022 09:19:51

Thread: Highway Code
08/01/2022 22:06:45
Posted by martin perman on 08/01/2022 21:32:40:

My brother and I were on our way home back one Saturday on the M25 to Bedford with an empty four wheeled car trailer we owned in tow when for some unknown reason the tail started wagging the dog and

the car was certainly capable, a 1.8GLi Cavalier. We sold the trailer as we didn't trust it anymore

I would suggest that the trailer probably weighed 650-700 KG & the max recommended towing weight of your Cav is possibly as low as 850 KG- I am guessing here- so not so much spare capacity really

If the trailer balance is wrong ( ie insufficient towbar weight) there is a speed point where it will start to fishtail.

I have trailed my 3.5Ton trailer all over the country from Essex to Scotland, with either my digger or joinery on it. I have done thousands of miles. If the trailer is not properly balanced I have found max speed 40 Mph. Properly balanced fully loaded  I could do 60 MPH with no problem.

I found that at the start of a journey it was best to gently increase speed & feel for the "wobble" Then not exceed that speed. If i did start to fishtail it was often better to accelerate. I could do this Ok behind a V8 petrol Disco. But behind a light car like a Cavalier I would think twice.

I also have read that close coupled trailers are worse for trailing as they do not allow the towbar to ride up & down the same as a 2 wheeled trailer.That affects towbar weight as the vehicle goes along undulating surfaces.  I did have a 5 ton trailer for my wood chips & this had a swinging axle where the towbar could ride up & down independent of the bogey. With a fixed axle & the long towbar it may have been an issue.

I think I read that if a caravan has close coupled wheels the towing capacity of the vehicle has to be reduced. Perhaps others can comment. That will reflect on the car transporter fishtailing if it was close coupled

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 08/01/2022 22:16:39

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 08/01/2022 22:19:13

08/01/2022 21:30:13
Posted by HOWARDT on 08/01/2022 20:38:01:

, perhaps you are all now driving motorhomes or have static vans padding out the empty seaside villages.

just a thought.!!

Got a Yot-- & 2 Brompton E bikes for use in Belgium & Holland - plus a bit of France!!. Will that suit the green lobby?wink

Have to say that cycling in Holland & Belgium is much better than the UK, because the public- whether in cars, on foot, on E-scooters, or other cycles, are just so much more aware of the zone around them. Pedestrians tend not to wander around aimlessly with a phone or earbuds stuck in their ears. There are some interesting video articles around how the Dutch govt went about educating the public in cycle awareness & use. That was years ago & unfortunately respect for ones fellow man/woman within the British community does not lend itself to such "education"

Guernsey is a joy to cycle, because cars stay well behind cyclists before overtaking . When they do pass they give a minimum 1 metre clearance. Oddly enough I feel that it tends to make cyclists have more respect for the car driver.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 08/01/2022 21:40:59

Thread: Tool Post for Warco WM 180
07/01/2022 15:02:00

My cut off tool comes from an old colchester that I had in my joinery factory. It is 25mm high & clamps an exide tapered HSS blade very firmly. It will accept cutters down to 13mm. I did not want to waste it & wondering how to utilise it, Iexperimented by tapping & screwing a piece of 15 * 15 steel to the side then welded it along the top edge .

Then I placed it in the mill & gradually milled the underside so that it bought a 13 mm cutoff blade to centre height. This means that the piece of steel, added on, sits in the square tool post & the actual blade holder sits along side.

No shims are required.

When I milled it I had a problem The WM 16 mill is basically rubber & I inadvertently milled the underside with a minute curve in the steel. This actually comes as a bonus, because if I want to adjust centre height due to raking the top of the cut off blade I can crank down on the front or back holding screw & the blade will move up or down a couple of thou depending on projection. Having used it a lot, I know how much to apply & it is a very quick item to just drop in & use. I can now cut off with very few failures. It is rigid enough that even if the front is not hard down the back 2 screws will stop any chatter on their own

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 07/01/2022 15:06:03

Thread: Highway Code
07/01/2022 11:10:06
Posted by Circlip on 07/01/2022 10:54:11:

ALL children should be licenced. We're warned enough "Keep away from Children" in various adverts.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 07/01/2022 10:55:26

Personally I would suggest that it might be better to licence the parents. That might be a better route for starters.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest