By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sam Longley 1

Here is a list of all the postings Sam Longley 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bandsaw advice
09/05/2020 15:49:13

Try Tuff saws. They are happy to advise & have informative website

Thread: Quick setting nuts
05/05/2020 17:39:33

deleted

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 05/05/2020 17:59:46

Thread: Warco WM250v VFD. Start problem.
28/04/2020 20:01:44

I know that this is an old thread, but has anyone else had this ? Same model lathe.

Did you ever find the problem, because mine has been doing this for ages, but it is now getting worse, requiring it to be switched on off for up to 6 times on ocassions. There is a loud click when the green button is pressed. Other times it starts OK. But it has now begun to stop whilst turning. Even when doing quite light cuts. I have permanently removed the gear cover & byepassed that interlock. (wired it with a plug & adjustable stop for threading on the carriage).The chuck guard has been removed & I have rotated the bar as far as it will go so I do not believe it is the locks.

Unfortunately the lathe is against the wall & bolted on the cabinet & then to steel supports ( to raise it 9 inches) then bolted to the floor. So to get to the back is going to be a major job to get it off the base then off the cabinet etc. It would be handy to have some idea what to expect before beginning.

Was it just a loose connection? I have looked using a mirror & cannot see one

Thanks

Thread: Fantastic British engineering
23/04/2020 13:15:00

I have a friend who started as an apprentice at an engineering company in the UK. For the last 14 years he has been MD. They sell a particular product all over the world & he goes to exhibitions regularly. He sells to companies ranging from the Belgian navy & shipping lines etc as well as leisure sector. The product he sells has to be carefully designed (his skill) & properly manufactured.

When I asked him why he has his designs made mainly in China, he said the high quality machining was available & at economic price. The quality was exceptional. I asked why he could not get in the UK. He said that for larger items there were no facilities. He did buy smaller parts in the UK but he said that he only did it to show a lip service to the UK.

Generally UK subcontractors were such a pain to deal with, quality & delivery times were unreliable & he had more trouble getting stuff in the UK that he really found it so much easier going to the large number of firms in China.

Aside from that subject I suspect that there is another reason that the govt would be happy to allow manufacturing to go overseas. We have a strong green lobby in this country. There is a strong lobby to reduce our carbon emissions due to global warming etc( I should not say so here, but it is a scam, but that is not the subject of the thread)

By exporting our manufacturing capability overseas we also export our carbon emissions. It is a false preconception to say that we are reducing our emissions when we are having stuff made by a country that is building dozens of coal fired power stations every year to produce our goods for us.

But lower emissions look good to the gullible. The left are quite happy to be out of work & live on the dole, paid for by others, provided they do not watch their kids coughing their guts up in the streets due to exhaust gasses

It is a difficult balancing act

Thread: Lawn weed and feed. How much is 35g?
23/04/2020 08:04:25

Ask the local drug dealer to do it for you. He will probably bag it up in nice little bags for you if you ask him nicely. You could let him have some to bulk up his ganga as payment. Just do not let the local plod catch you driving home with the bagssurprise

Thread: Advice on Building Powerful Toy Cannon
20/04/2020 13:12:52

When I was very young a crowd of us kids cut some large "Y" shaped sections of trees & dug them into the ground. We built corrugated sheet barriers round them & bound on lorry inner tubes to them to form giant catapults. For ammo we went to the local rubbish dump, which was an old pit that was being filled in & forraged 3 inch reject stones.

Then we fired them at each other in massive battles. One side was in an orchard & one side was out in the pit. We were about 50-70 yards apart. The noise when the rejects hit the iron sheets was enormous and always raised a cheer from the attacking side. Surprising no one was injured .

Proper kids games in those days.smiley

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 20/04/2020 13:13:06

20/04/2020 11:50:32

Sounds to me like some sort of youth movement, training for artillery crews of the futurefrown

Would these "cannon" be spare 100mm field artillery pieces by any chance?-- Crafty!!!

If so connect them up to an air compressor with a foam ball.( stick a piece of lead in the middle for weight perhaps) If it was rammed home hard it should come out fairly quick, then soon loose trajectory without hurting the home team.

Then in years to come all they need to do is stick a 100mm shell in it & Bob's your uncle.yes

Thread: Magnetism in Stainless steel
01/04/2020 21:52:38

Thanks everyone. I do want to be able use it for navigation. Whilst I have chart plotters & GPS I love navigating by simple compass & log, so may well use it as a steering compass at some point, if I cannot use the existing one.

Looks like it is going to be all brass ---& a bit of polishing

Sam L

01/04/2020 09:08:03

I want to make a set of gimbals for my Sestral compass.The original ones were made in brass, but the main ring is a thin "Z" shaped ( approx 6,15,6 ) I do not know how to form a ring that section. Plus the second part is a semicircular cast piece as a "T", tipped on its side, with a bracket all cast in at mid point, for mounting on a dovetail to the bulkhead.

So I intend to make the first full ring in 304 stainless steel strip rolled into a circle. The second part will be similar but heavier gauge with a 50 *30 *8 mm brass piece either riveted, or silver soldered, to it to form the bracket. Brass as easier to machine a tapered dovetail.

I know that SS304 is supposed to have minimal magnetism, and I expect that on its own I might be OK. However, has anyone actually checked the magnetism of 304 AFTER it has been worked. It seems from tech data that the magnetism can increase. If so that would make the whole exercise pointless.

So does the magnetism increase noticeably or not?

I do not really want to buy heavy brass sections as this is only a spare compass & really a project for the layoff. Anyway, I do not know how to form a ring in thin brass as a "Z" section for stiffness or how to form the heavier "T" section so both pieces would have to be flat strip on edge but bigger than SS & prohibitively expensive

Thanks

Thread: Now is a good time
21/03/2020 13:18:17

Wife told me that I cannot take it with me. So sod it I am not going !!

Thread: Left handed lathe.
02/02/2020 10:02:32

My wife is left handed but she is always rightwink

Thread: Digital verniers
25/01/2020 17:24:59

deleted

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 25/01/2020 17:30:45

Thread: Chinese DRO opinions
15/01/2020 16:18:33

I already have a EMS 200 XY DRO on my mill. I would like one on my lathe but do not feel justified in spending too much as It is not my main hobby & I probably only use the lathe a couple of hours a month.

So as i am going to Ally Pallyexhibition on Friday 19 Jan I thought a cheaper option might be to go to the supplier of my DRO & buy 2 readers & then - as suggested in another post on this forum- buy a couple of switch boxes & use the same display

I am not worried about needing a set up on the mill whilst using the lathe

However, for less money & hassle I see that there are cheap complete systems on the market & I wondered what forumites experience of these are. Have they generally found them to be a waste of time & is it money down the drain

For instance I have found this **LINK**

Circa £168

I know I may have to pay VAT, but it is a lot cheaper than the one I have at present. Experiences please

Thanks

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 15/01/2020 16:20:56

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
08/01/2020 16:50:41
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 08/01/2020 12:29:14:
Posted by David Colwill on 08/01/2020 10:28:03:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 08/01/2020 09:57:25:

Proposed new ISO Standards for 2020 are now out for consultation:

ISO 100-5E47 - Protocols for the placement of toilet seats and their covers.

I generally place these above the toilet. I did try putting one 5 feet to the left of the toilet but this led to a pretty awful smell and it had to be moved to the correct position.

Regards.

David.

Hi David, they need to be a precision fit, i.e. they need to go onto the top of the bowl rim with the hinged part at the back. The accuracy of the x & y about the central position can be plus or minus a tad each way. Fitting it in this way, I find them to be extremely efficient and avoids much of the smell and stops you getting a bogy surface below when in use. It does help though, for the rim to be in a reasonable horizontal plain. wink 2 Hope this helps.

Regards Nick.

In the days of wooden seats my grandfather (a carpenter) would have said that it all depended on the size of his bowler hat

Thread: Win10
25/12/2019 08:01:22

I run Win 10 and have no problems. However, I also have the free "Oracle Virtual Box" loaded with all the old XP programs , data etc transferred from an older computer. I prefer some of my older software - Lotus, autocad sketch, etc because I am comfortable with it & cannot be bothered to upgrade.It also means that I can still access old data easily

Thread: Web Hosting
18/11/2019 18:47:47

I use Tsohost & has unlimited bandwidth. Currently £12-00 PA as a sale on for basic package - 3 sites. I free transfer etc.

My site is a wordpress one & they made it dead easy to start up

Thread: Warco WM 16 VS woes
14/11/2019 16:56:54

Today I ordered the new gear at the cost of an arm, a leg & a bowl of blood.

Because my mill is bolted to some steel to raise the standard cupboard 9 inches higher, I cannot easily move it to get round the back. Therefore, I have removed the head & put it on a bench.

Looking at the gear it seems to me that it should be possibly to make a new pair of wheels in brass & silver solder them together as a pair. Alternatively make a set in plastic from some tufnol whale or Oilon (I actually have that). Fairly cheap in plastic, so can make some mistakes first, without too much expense.

Has anyone tried that? What gear cutter do I need? I have a friend with several milling machines to make them on & he has all the other bits I would need. Never tried it before but seems to me to be worth a go.

14/11/2019 07:47:31

Thanks for the help everyone. The information about the match to the Grizzly was useful as that took me to the videos. The higher gear does work still, but, presumably, that is putting greater load on the motor, which is showing signs of early departure from this world. Cannot tell why though, as it has done very little work.

I think that the gear failed because it seems that it was not engaging fully when in the locked position

Now I know how to strip the machine I will take a look inside. There is obviously something very wrong with this mill as I have not been able to do much milling with it. It vibrates so badly that just drilling holes is difficult, as it flexes like a lump of jelly.

Not one of my better purchases

Thanks again

Sam L

13/11/2019 16:53:32

Unfortunately I have a Warco WM 16 VS item No. 3217 year of manufacture 2015.

I appear to have stripped a gear on the low speed option, although I cannot see it very well. Probably the famous plastic one that I have heard about.

I have removed the motor cover & the front cover, but cannot work out how one gets to the gears to remove them & replace. Assuming they can be replaced. (Otherwise it will be the skip & a proper mill!!)

Can anyone who has solved this, give me some guidance on how one should approach the problem (not the skip solution, although I am sorely temptedangry 2)

Many thanks in advance

Thread: Tour of my workshop
21/10/2019 22:12:04

Lovely to have all that space, but one has to wonder--------Is there anything that does NOT need a job doing to it before you can use it????sad

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 21/10/2019 22:15:15

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest