By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sam Longley 1

Here is a list of all the postings Sam Longley 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Copper tube for boiler
18/10/2020 20:59:14

Emailed them this afternoon ( sunday) & received a reply immediately from their MD. Pipe is 1.5mm th & they can obtain 2.5 th if I wish. i have ordered 1.5 as that is what is required on the drawing. i now need to get the copper for the end plates which is considerably thicker

18/10/2020 12:07:57
Posted by JasonB on 18/10/2020 10:32:48:

Increasing the diameter from the original design though slight may be detrimental to the end plates and the single central stay, have you done any calculations to check?

You don't have to be in a club to get your boiler tested, many traction engine builders prefer to go to an independent boiler inspector.

Jason

I always thought that inspectors operated from clubs & club membership was normally a condition of them doing the work. Clearly I was wrong.

I have an email that suggested that you put an email querying the source of tube

May I suggest this link. I have not contacted them, but there are others.

Copper pipe prices

Edit previous comment re design

I know the size is 108mm but on checking the manual it says that originally the design allowed for 4.5 inch diameter but the drawing size was reduced to 4 inch due to non availability of 4.5 inch. That tells me that 108 mm diam is perfectly Ok.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 18/10/2020 12:34:36

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 18/10/2020 12:34:53

18/10/2020 12:01:04

This is the  link

PYRTE

If you have not seen it you do not know what you have been missing laugh

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 18/10/2020 12:02:22

18/10/2020 10:20:31
Posted by Paul Lousick on 18/10/2020 09:46:43:

Hi Sam,

You have said that you do not intend to get any test certs. Why not build it to a code and approved design ? You may want to display it in public or at a club in the future. Or to family and friends.

A 12" long x 4" dia boiler operating at 45psi is a dangerous toy. It contains approx.2 litres of water at 135 deg C which could cause serious injury if something goes wrong.

Paul.

paul

I am following the instruction set that I purchased from the designer, so there should be no problem. Making the copper thicker than the detailed 1.5mm should not be detrimental to the construction.I am sure that I can do a pressure test myself, following all the info one can get online laugh.

As for using a club just to get a test cert is, in my view, wrong. If one joins a club one should do it to become an active member; not someone who turns up just to get a test cert & then disappears. That is something that I cannot do as I am already member of an RC flying club & I am a very active member of my local sailing club.

I believe that the nearest club, 20 miles away in Chelmsford, is more interested in locomotives anyway

18/10/2020 08:14:36

Thanks for the replies. The drawings call for 1.5 Th wall but I just felt that as I was buying spare I would go for 2.5 th. Suppliers like Noggin end at £10-00 per inch are just too expensive. So far I have found 300 mm lengths at £38-00 each

As an example, I can buy a 1.5 metre length of 1.5 th walled copper for £78-00.+VAT delivered

However, I will go for table "Y" with 2.5 Th wall ( obviously much dearer) which will do me for now. I was just concerned about the effect of a concentrated heat from a burner on the copper, albeit with water inside.

But I will research C106 as suggested by Nigel

17/10/2020 07:58:35

I need a 12 inch & 3 inch length of 4 inch diam copper tube for a boiler on a PYRTE traction engine. The cost from most model suppliers seems excessive, especially as I have never tried silver soldering such an item & it may end up in the bin sad

I can obtain a 1.5 metre length of table "Y" copper which is 108 diam with 2.5 Th wall for a much more reasonable price ( per metre that is) & gives me a chance to make a mistake smiley as there is some spare to boot.

So what i want to know please - Is it the same grade of copper that is being sold by the model suppliers & will I be making a mistake buying it? I do not intend to get any test certs. It is for my own pleasure only. Working pressure is 45 PSI. Will the burners have a negative effect on the copper etc etc

Thanks

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 17/10/2020 07:59:20

Thread: 1000 to make a Spitfire aircraft fuel tank gauge. Can it be done cheaper?
13/10/2020 08:49:41
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 13/10/2020 02:08:40:

Here's another way to think about it - which scenario would you rather be in?

You are a pilot flying a precious and priceless Spitfire in 2020 on a long flight. You are close to the destination, and you suspect you are probably getting low on fuel from your knowledge of flight time elapsed and the usual fuel consumption per hour. There are no closer alternate fields to land on. Headwinds are increasing so your consumption rate is rising. You know it will be a close thing to get onto the field. It is VERY important to know exactly how much fuel you have. Your survival and the aircraft's survival depend on knowing the fuel status.

Scenario 1: someone fitted a 10 UK pound fuel gauge to the aircraft, with minimal reliability engineering and a quick works / does not work QC check. Mean time before failure is not specified. Service life / replacement at X hours is not specified. Some automotive components were used, to keep costs low. Only key components are traceable back to raw materials, but many components are not traceable.

Scenario 2: someone fitted a 1000 UK pound fuel gauge to the aircraft, with well designed components intended for aircraft use, and the whole system thoroughly tested for reliability and quality control. The components come with a manufacturer's service and inspection plan to ensure the unit works and keeps working safely for its' service life, which is also specified. Every component is fully traceable back to raw materials. Hundreds of people have inspected and signed off on every stage of the unit's design and construction and testing.

A no brainer, really.

If you had not got enough fuel would it have made any difference ? Knowing that you have just run out of fuel ain't going to make life any better.  You would have still not made it to the airfield & you admit there is no alternative airfield.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 13/10/2020 09:00:44

Thread: Square turning...
04/10/2020 08:18:07

So that is why my Chinese lathe has all that slacksurprise

Thread: waterproof sealing strip
02/10/2020 16:28:04

10 * 3mm rubber type sealing strip, adhesive one side compresses to 1mm thick

Tape

Thread: In praise of M-Machine
26/09/2020 11:18:20

Yes! couriers do a fantastic job these days. Deserve more praise than they get.

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
22/09/2020 21:42:21

Imagine laying in bed on a thursday evening wondering how you are going to pay the staff on friday morning when you have just been told by the bank that they are going to call in the overdraft & reposess your house which you have used as guarantee against the loan.

Must be even worse if you throw in some covid for luck. Regardless of what you are told about loan holidays , the interest is rising & the loans still have to be paid- eventually. So it is not all about those with low IQ.

Then add in a bit of marital unrest & you have a pending suicide on the cards, I bet

Imagine being a wife locked in a 3 room flat, day after day, with some barsteward who wants to bash the life out of her, just because she says the wrong thing, or because the kids play up a bit.

I would have thought mental health issues will be VERY high on some people's agenda.

Thread: Warco wm240v
20/09/2020 21:26:30

Mine stalls several times a session. Gutless thing. Less power than my old Drummond M type. takes several presses of the stop/start button to get it going even if it has not had a stall. If I forget to press the stop button after a stall or after i have pressed the start button & it has not started,  it sometimes starts whilst i am doing a set up, which has caught me unawares a couple of times with my hand on the chuck.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 20/09/2020 21:30:03

Thread: "The Unique"
16/09/2020 20:17:55
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 16/09/2020 19:41:48:

And yet, the terrace houses at the other side of us had outside dry toilets

Many years ago & I am talking about many, we went to some relations in Norham on the Scottish borders. Their house backed onto the Tweed & is still there to this day.I had to go to the toilet, which was a dry one, with grass in it. The story goes (I was a very young essex lad) that I was heard to say to my mum " There is no lock on the door". On hearing this, my mother's aunt is said to have replied, " Why should he worry? We have lived here 50 years & never had a bucket of s..t nicked yet"sad

Sorry mods--- but I have never forgotten the story & have no idea if it is true or not, but the dry toilet comment prompted me to repeat it-- put me on 7 days punishment !!!

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 16/09/2020 20:22:03

Thread: Mystery Object ... This one has me beat
14/09/2020 21:33:58
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 12/09/2020 13:01:21:
Posted by John McNamara on 12/09/2020 07:32:31:

Yes I know this is a segway... assuming the part is a survey mark

It's Been a while since I posted on this forum. The past couple of years have been very hectic.
Next Wednesday we pick up the keys to a new house. After 38 years in one house we are moving to the hills about a 45 minute drive from Melbourne.

I wish to build a new shed and in order to do so the council requires survey, I was on site when this was done in order to discuss the location. And yes the EPOXY CNC mill post on this forum will continue when the shed to house it is built.

A Land survey starts not at your property but at the known reference points in the area. One of those points was in a council field nearby, about a foot below the grass! Using the very accurate GPS station that surveyors use he had no problem locating it. The surveyor told me that there are many of these hidden reference marks around the city. The importance of the mark determines how it is founded, the more important ones may sit on hidden but massive concrete foundations.

In older parts of the UK we often have benchmarks, typically what looks like a 'WD' arrow but usually with a horizontal line above.

benchmark

55 years since I did surveying at college, but did not these marks all relate back to a point in Newlyn in Cornwall?

Or is that no longer the case?

Thread: Strength of Beams
11/09/2020 13:00:24
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 11/09/2020 08:25:52:
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 11/09/2020 07:54:51:

Just one point-- They are not normally circular holes but hexagonal. That gives flat surfaces for the weld at the new meeting point.

I suppose that would depend upon one’s definitions of ‘they’ and ‘normally’

As I mentioned yesterday:

_____

Here’s an interesting page:

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 10/09/2020 21:34:21

_____

MichaelG.

The example you refer to with circular holes is not what I was referring to. If one wants to put a cut along the web of a beam then separate the 2 halves & offset & then re weld to form a deeper castellated beam one needs an edge to weld to. If the line was a wavey one the meeting points would not meet in a way which could be suitably welded & the holes would NOT be circular. Standard castellated beams cut from a simple I beam would be cut such that the line has flat edges for the weld. The hexagonal hole thus remaining would still leave room for services & I do not recall having difficulty installing them. I did fit quite a few tonnes of the stuff in a number of new schools halls etc But I do confess, that was 40 years ago & things move on, so If I am wrong then I stand corrected

The example in the one in the link would , presumably, be cut from an I beam with considerable waste.

11/09/2020 07:54:51
Posted by Martin Kyte on 10/09/2020 11:39:03:

Re castellated beam

Interesting way they make those. The webs are cnc cut (Water jet or Plasma) so that the two half profiles stack inside each other to fit onto a blank less than the final width of the finished web. The 'points are then butt welded to form a web with a series of circular hole down the middle. Add top and Bottom and you have your castellated beam.

regards Martin

Just one point-- They are not normally circular holes but hexagonal. That gives flat surfaces for the weld at the new meeting point.

Going back to the OP's post & comment about the ruler. It is certainly stronger on edge.

Just an itemt that may solve a problem for someone. If they want a beam for a construction in a house etc, then a piece of flat plate the depth of the joists (or slightly less), bolted betweem 2 timber joists makes an excellent beam. It is cheap, & can be inserted into construction easily. Plasterboard etc can be easily nailed to it without awkward noggins etc. Herringbone noggins can be added in the space as normal if required to avoid rotation

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 11/09/2020 08:06:32

Thread: Power chimney sweeping
09/09/2020 15:31:31

My last house had a wood burner & the wife & I (well she did!!) decided the chimney needed cleaning. As a builder I regularly had to clean chimneys of refurbished houses so had a brush. To rod drains I had a 100M length of black underground plastic water pipe to which I had fitted a screw fitting for a plunger. This also fitted the brush.

So after suitable covering furniture, the wife & I started sweeping. My house had a flue with a number of turns & was 3 storeys high so needed a lot of shoving. It also needed a lot of pushing to get the brush up the flue. As we all know ,difficult jobs call for lots of swearing between couples.

After a while sweat was pouring off us & there was a knock at the front door.

" Oh! who the b..y hell is that" " Tell them to F off we are busy " etc etc

"ignore it". "You go," " No you go"

Eventually my wife swore, (at me & chimneys in general!!) removed overalls & went to front door

To be met by a chimney sweep brush on the end of a plastic hose.banging on the door. We had not realised that we had shoved so much that the thing had gone up the chimney & back down the outside again !! Being off a roll it curved back in towards the door & was swinging in the wind with the wooden centre hitting the wooden door

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 09/09/2020 15:34:43

Thread: Who trains these ideots?
20/08/2020 19:25:23
Posted by Howard Lewis on 20/08/2020 19:13:44:

My wife was a primary school teacher. In between animal training, she managed to fit in a little teaching. And the longer she was in the profession, the worse things, and the parents, got! (She taught in north London, Sussex and in many schools in East Anglia, so it was not localised )

One of her colleagues was actually pushed violently up against a wall by a parent.

Howard

Back in the 90's I had a contract to fit screens in 17 schools in Thurrock in the main reception areas . These were to restrict parents from entering the schools & attacking the staff. Alarms were also installed to call more staff in difficult situations. The events were, apparently, very common & some staff lived in fear of attack from aggressive parents as well as children. I was building a school alongside another school in East Tilbury & witnessed a child of about 10/11 actually attack a teacher & it was a surprisingly violent incident & he was punching the teacher in the face.

20/08/2020 18:41:16
Posted by Raymond Anderson on 20/08/2020 18:02:47:

s am longley, IF the job only demands easy brickwork , what IF the job demands something other than the easy stretcher bond ? or even Granite ? 350 Facers per day thats only 5 barrows worth. Now try taking that up 7 storeys and see how PLUMB you can get it. Maybe you should try a corbelled arch or 2 No on second thoughts... just stick to stretcher bond.

I cannot find Brickkies original post & i should hasten to add that I was not trying to belittle the art of bricklaying. What I do find wrong is the attitude that we need to spend years doing appreticeships when they are not always necessary.

20/08/2020 18:14:26
Posted by Raymond Anderson on 20/08/2020 18:02:47:

s am longley, IF the job only demands easy brickwork , what IF the job demands something other than the easy stretcher bond ? or even Granite ? 350 Facers per day thats only 5 barrows worth. Now try taking that up 7 storeys and see how PLUMB you can get it. Maybe you should try a corbelled arch or 2 No on second thoughts... just stick to stretcher bond.

Funny you should mention arches. My first house, that I built myself,had an arch way 2.7 metres wide & 5 metres long, all in brickwork. It was a design necessitated by the fact that the house was on the high street & vehicles had to pass through

I won the European Architectural Heritage Year Award for that House, when I was in my early 20's

My next award was for a community centre built on to the end of a very old village church many years later.

I never served an apprenticeship, but employed quite a few. I never had them sweeping floors & wasting time making tea if I could help it. I employed others for that task. My attitude was that they were there to learn the trade, not how to make tea. They did have to understand the need for tidiness in the workplace though.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 20/08/2020 18:19:57

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest